Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Max Payne 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 15, 2012

The long-awaited third Max Payne game finally arrived in May 2012, courtesy of Rockstar Vancouver. Eight years after the end of Max Payne 2, an aging, burnt-out Max finds one last chance to redeem himself while working as a bodyguard for a rich family in Brazil.

the plot of this game made no sense, but i really like it :]

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By falling_fast

we hired the world's deadliest gunman to be our fall guy, what could possibly go wrong? xd

they overuse their michael mann inspired bag of tricks a bit, but mostly the washed out neo-noir feel works perfectly. the voice acting is brilliant, the soundtrack is rad, the animations are maybe second to none for this kind of game, and the environments are actually mostly interesting (it doesn't end up going into army bases for the second half of the game, like the new shitty hitman game) and considering that max payne is a pretty bog standard shooter, they manage to make even that stay fun for the entire time.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

The game certainly has its flaws but I remember a lot of it quite fondly. Which is weird as I was disappointed when I beat it...I have a weird relationship with that game.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

is it weird that i like this game and yet i thought Heat was a super boring film, except for the scene where Al Pacino is yelling about big asses

Avatar image for waltercrunkfite
    WalterCrunkFite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@falling_fast: And that scene was improvised! You can see he's about to say "BIG" ass, but checks himself, thinking "GREAT" would probably be more effective.
    Also, HEAT is great, you're an idiot etc. (am I doing trolling right?).

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@falling_fast: And that scene was improvised! You can see he's about to say "BIG" ass, but checks himself, thinking "GREAT" would probably be more effective.

yeah, it's a great scene :]

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#6  Edited By sammo21

I like the game, but man...its one of those games I found physically exhausting. I can't say why exactly. Not too many games that have done that to me before. I remember Dante's Inferno did the same thing to me. I think it might have been that there was 0 variety so you're just constantly fighting in this frantic gun battles.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it was not the max payne game I wanted but all in all its fine.

I should really finish it..

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was a great game, basically man on fire the video game. The plot was fine, he wasn't the deadliest gunman he was a pill popping has been cop past working as a body guard.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NTM

The story wasn't that interesting, but the voice acting (or simply acting if you will) and dialogue were superb. A problem with Max Payne 3 to me, and maybe you can make the argument against other games in which I probably love despite it, is that Max Payne 3 felt very much like a one trick pony gameplay wise, where all it was, was shooting. It had top notch shooting, but it's all it was to me. Also, in terms of atmosphere, it really didn't feel like Max Payne enough. I felt though that it made sense in terms of story, where Max was in an alien setting to him. I still preferred the New York setting. I still thought it was a great game. Max Payne 2 is still my favorite overall. Also they didn't bring back Mona Sax, which I thought was unfortunate. If you play on hard on the second game, it reveals she's still alive, though I guess it's not considered canon.

washingmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By washingmachine

I love MP3. Played through it twice on 360, once on PS3 and I'm about halfway through on PC (I play a couple hours every now and then).

It's a really inspired game and I'm glad Rockstar stuck with it after all those years in development. I love the pace of the gunplay and the graphic way enemies wince and stumble to the floor after being shot. I love the dour and moody soundtrack and how well it swims along with the action. I love that they took the character to a foreign but equally as dangerous place whilst still referencing Max's past in really neat ways. And although the story is a little wonky in spots, I love the characters and their brutality.

It's a great game for my tastes - I would love to see another follow-up at some point in the future, or maybe something new with similar principles. (Agent???)

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By falling_fast

@oursin_360 said:

It was a great game, basically man on fire the video game. The plot was fine, he wasn't the deadliest gunman he was a pill popping has been cop past working as a body guard.

maybe they should've looked into some of the things he did in max paynes 1 and 2, I mean

@ntm did you know that mona sax was voiced by the same actress who did Jane in Daria? idunno i thought that was kind of cool (one of my favourite cartoons)

Avatar image for klragrmndfvrarg
    klragrmndfvrarg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By klragrmndfvrarg

I freaking adore Max Payne 3 which is weird because not only it wasn't like a super big hit but I went in with not the highest of expectations. The story stuff always seemed intentionally cheesy to me and you can see how they carried some of the combat mechanics and transitional cinematics over to GTA V. I also remember the Multiplayer being surprisingly, equally good, the way they handled bullet time for instance. GTA IV multiplayer was also super fun for me, I think the third person combat is done super well in those games and MP3 was such an improvement on that in every way. That is a game that knows exactly what it is, which is one of the reasons why I like it so much. A corny, ex-cop noire video game about revenge that has super solid mechanics and shooting. Even typing this is making me want to download it again.

tomobedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering the first two games plots, Max Payne 3 could be a documentary.

Joking aside i really liked the game, is not a good Max payne game, but i really enjoyed the trip`from WTF i´m doing to i´m going to jump there and then there and... wait a minute they are all dead, and the airport scene with the amazing soundtrack was the only moment that i thought, yes, this guy is Max Payne, to little to late tough

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@gregorygold: Yep, the other actor in that scene had no idea Al Pacino was gonna start screaming like that! If you look at his expression he's completely stunned, "what is going on?"

Avatar image for waltercrunkfite
    WalterCrunkFite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l33t_haxor: In many of the previous drafts of the script, Hanna was a cocaine addict, and Pacino had been workshopping the character with that in mind - his performance makes (a little) more sense if you keep that in mind when watching!

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Just finished this on Sunday, good game though it does get tiresome if you play too much of it in one sitting. Did Max really need to murder 1000+ people? Couldn't it have been a couple hundred instead? Who knows. The game works really well in smaller areas but doesn't really jive all that well in some of the later gigantic levels, this is only rarely an issue in games but it does crop up from time to time. Max isn't a precision shooter and I don't feel like shooting someone who is literally 250 yards away with a pistol. Really only Vanquish has pulled that off successfully, and Vanquish has damn near perfect gameplay, if you're at Rockstar's level of "vaguely competent" gameplay then don't try to pull off enormous setpieces. Over reliance on headshots is a bummer especially when you've got some really cool weapons that should be veritable hand cannons but still take numerous shots to kill anyone (and generally still 2 in the dome).

Passos is great but I still feel like the plot needed a Mona Sax of some sort and maybe an over the top villain instead of just some corrupt douchebags. Max's dialogue is top notch, the line "I didn't even know who he was" is probably amongst the top 5 lines ever written or delivered in any video game; just brilliant. But it is kind of just Max by himself for much of the game, carrying it single-handed. The favela is a really cool setting but they're really in and out of there in a jiffy (a jiffy meaning yet another overly long set of a few levels).

I've mentioned this before but the graphics would have looked great if I had played it 2-3 years ago and they look kind of crappy now, not to be overly cynical (I'm not someone that is overly obsessed with graphics or who engages in laborious meaningless discussions of framerate). This is just the problem with games that strive for "realism" in their graphical design.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I love this game, it's one of my favourite third person action shooters of all time, and hugely underrated. In the very late game you hit a few annoying sequences but it's largely nothing but polished bullet-time fun. The animations for both Max and the enemies are super top notch.

Gameplay aside there are far too many cutscenes that drag on for far too long, that's all.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LeStephan

I think it might be my favorite game of 2012, and I didnt expect much of t going in either. Playing on hard and up it was one of the most satisfying experiences I had that year for sure. I thought the shooting felt solid as fuck and it felt great having to clear out an area without staying in cover for long or making mistakes cuz you'd get shot to death in 0.5 seconds and despite that it still was super doable if you made proper use of cover and slomo and the slomo dive AKA the game-mechanics (and the dive is absolutely NOT useless despite what I've heard countless people complain about, if you are fucking aware of your environment you shouldnt be constantly diving into walls/furniture or is that just me?) And those damage models on the characters wer glorious as hell.

The story was stupid in all the right ways if you ask me and 'self serious' in all the right ways too. And the added atmosphere of everyone speaking their own proper languish, LOVE IT! The world itself in gtaV is goddamn amazingly crafted and spectacular but as a game with gameplay in it MP3 is still my favorite rockstar product by far.

Never even touched the multiplayer btw.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a sucker for Brazilian crime drama and I loved the plot in Max Payne 3.

Also, I've got to give serious props to Rockstar for actually tackling mental health and addiction issues with Max's character.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The multiplayer is always great.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The idea was that Max Payne was over the hill, sorta like Roger Murtaugh in Lethal Weapon. Except replace, "I'm gettin' too old for this shit" with "I'm gettin' too wasted on booze and vicodin for this shit". The story has alot to do with kinda getting over hump whether it be addiction or a mid-life crisis and finding your inner Martin Riggs or Jackie Chan.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Steadying

This game has the best third person shooting in any game ever. The best. I don't understand why GTA V's was not as good.

Shame the way Rockstar took the story and setting tho.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.