Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Max Payne 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 15, 2012

The long-awaited third Max Payne game finally arrived in May 2012, courtesy of Rockstar Vancouver. Eight years after the end of Max Payne 2, an aging, burnt-out Max finds one last chance to redeem himself while working as a bodyguard for a rich family in Brazil.

The standard which console argument.

bobcat1794

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bobcat1794

So I'm planning on picking it up for either PS3 or Xbox 360 and i heard that both versions are built from the ground up for its respective console, so that's not exactly what I'm worried about. What I'm worried about is the control scheme set up for the game. Does anybody happen to know how the controls are going to be mapped to each controller?

ElNeebre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ElNeebre

I own both consoles, and I'll be buying it for 360. As much as I also love the DualShock, the 360 controller is just better suited to this type of game... look at how well it played with GTA, LA Noire, and Red Dead.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By landon

It's a shooter, I'm sure it's going to play better on the Xbox. But if you are planning on playing a bunch of the multiplayer, then I'd go PS3.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By TheHBK

The Dual Shock sucks ass for any kind of shooter. 360 for this one.

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Oni

Haven't Rockstar games traditionally performed better on 360 as well? I'd go with that one, given a choice. But I have a beefy PC so yeah, that's the one for me. That is, if Rockstar hasn't botched the PC version.

ElNeebre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ElNeebre

@Oni said:

Haven't Rockstar games traditionally performed better on 360 as well? I'd go with that one, given a choice. But I have a beefy PC so yeah, that's the one for me. That is, if Rockstar hasn't botched the PC version.

Sadly, as great Rockstar are at being devs, they sure suck at optimizing their PC games.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Oni said:

Pretty much, Rockstar developed games have been consistently superior on the 360.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By musubi

I think I'd go with PS3 myself. 360 is on multiple discs and that just sounds gross.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By monetarydread

@ElNeebre said:

@Oni said:

Sadly, as great Rockstar are at being devs, they sure suck at optimizing their PC games.

That is why you out-muscle their shitty coding by having a quad-core processor. I used to have a core 2 duo 2.8ghz and an 8800gt with 2gig of ram, and couldn't get more than 10fps in LA Noire with everything at minimum detail. I upgraded to an i5 2500k and 8gig of ram then the frame rate didn't dip below 30 with the game maxed (minus AA because I am running at 1080p). GTA 4's frame rate wasn't as consistent as LA Noire, but it was more than playable at 1080p. Now I have a GTX 680 and I am not worried at all about Max Payne 3.

ElNeebre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ElNeebre

@MonetaryDread said:

@ElNeebre said:

@Oni said:

That is why you out-muscle their shitty coding by having a quad-core processor. I used to have a core 2 duo 2.8ghz and an 8800gt with 2gig of ram, and couldn't get more than 10fps in LA Noire with everything at minimum detail. I upgraded to an i5 2500k and 8gig of ram then the frame rate didn't dip below 30 with the game maxed (minus AA because I am running at 1080p). GTA 4's frame rate wasn't as consistent as LA Noire, but it was more than playable at 1080p. Now I have a GTX 680 and I am not worried at all about Max Payne 3.

Well I have a good enough PC. Quad-core, GTX570, but they both still run like trash.

Plus, don't the recommended specs for Max Payne 3 say 16GB of RAM?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @bobcat1794 said:

What I'm worried about is the control scheme set up for the game. Does anybody happen to know how the controls are going to be mapped to each controller?

Since the controllers are identical aside from their shape and feel, it's gonna be... the same? Fire with LT or the PS3 equivalent (L2), interact with Y or triangle, etc..

@Landon said:

It's a shooter, I'm sure it's going to play better on the Xbox. But if you are planning on playing a bunch of the multiplayer, then I'd go PS3.

I'm sorry but that doesn't make sense. You're claiming that shooters are better on the Xbox, yet that multiplayer is better on PS3. But shooters are practically equal on both consoles, and the online experience is better on Live, so....?
    Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bell_End

@ElNeebre said:

@MonetaryDread said:

@ElNeebre said:

@Oni said:

Well I have a good enough PC. Quad-core, GTX570, but they both still run like trash.

i have a i7 and 570 and GT4 and LA Noir run great.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By landon

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Landon said:

I'm sorry but that doesn't make sense. You're claiming that shooters are better on the Xbox, yet that multiplayer is better on PS3. But shooters are practically equal on both consoles, and the online experience is better on Live, so....?

I was saying that It will probably play better on the Xbox, but if you plan on playing a bunch of the multiplayer than you might as well take advantage of the PS3s free online. I didn't mean to sound as if one was better than the other, I'm sure they'll both be fine, that's just how I purchase games. I usually buy games for the Xbox, but if it has multiplayer that I am interested in I'll buy it for the PS3 instead.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Landon said:

I was saying that It will probably play better on the Xbox, but if you plan on playing a bunch of the multiplayer than you might as well take advantage of the PS3s free online.

Oh ok, that makes sense. 

I didn't mean to sound as if one was better than the other, I'm sure they'll both be fine

Well, no. There shouldn't be political correctness when it comes to things like this.. It's a fact that Red Dead Redemption is better on Xbox 360, Skyrim and SR3 are better on PC, and so on. Video games vary in quality from one platform to another, it's a fact of (gaming) life.  
    So I expect the X360 version of MP3 to actually be better than its PS3 counterpart, I was wondering why you specified that shooters are better on X360, but I understand now.
    xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

@TheHBK said:

Sucks is a strong word

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By captain_clayman

i'd say ps3 just because it's one disk but if you're cool with multi-disc than xbox is probably fine too. can't speak to which is the technically superior version. you never know with rockstar games, but i'd guess the xbox version would be better.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By monetarydread

@ElNeebre said:

@MonetaryDread said:

@ElNeebre said:

@Oni said:

There isn't really a min or recommended specs for Max Payne 3 yet. All Rockstar has released is the range of parts they tested the game with. Most of the fear people have had with the high system specs is the amount of hard-drive space required, 32 gig, and that is only an issue for people who purchase games from Steam then download the title, not the people who buy the physical copy.

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#18  Edited By DJJoeJoe

@MonetaryDread said:

Most of the fear people have had with the high system specs is the amount of hard-drive space required, 32 gig, and that is only an issue for people who purchase games from Steam then download the title, not the people who buy the physical copy.

Most of the time Steam will offer up a chance to pre-load the game ahead of time, so as long as you have decent internet you should be fine. I use one of the lowest internet packages available to me here in Canada and I still am capable of grabbing games from steam at 3-5MB/s which is fast enough to negate any game download to a few hours or less.

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Grixxel

@DJJoeJoe said:

@MonetaryDread said:

Most of the fear people have had with the high system specs is the amount of hard-drive space required, 32 gig, and that is only an issue for people who purchase games from Steam then download the title, not the people who buy the physical copy.

Most of the time Steam will offer up a chance to pre-load the game ahead of time, so as long as you have decent internet you should be fine. I use one of the lowest internet packages available to me here in Canada and I still am capable of grabbing games from steam at 3-5MB/s which is fast enough to negate any game download to a few hours or less.

This.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PC, Rockstar's aiming controls are always pretty wacky on console, a weird mix of acceleration and sensitivity that I can never really dial in.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Baillie

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

PC, Rockstar's aiming controls are always pretty wacky on console, a weird mix of acceleration and sensitivity that I can never really dial in.

Why are you replying? He asked what console.

Avatar image for killer_meatballs
    killer_meatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By killer_meatballs

Getting this for the PS3.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NTM

I played GTA4, and Red Dead on PS3, and I love it that way, but I think I'll have to go with 360 on this one. I guess it's mainly because I played the first two Max Payne games on the Xbox and PC, but never PS2.

SuperCycle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SuperCycle

L2 -aim R2 - Shoot

L1 - Weapon Wheel R1 - Shootdodge

Square - Cover Triangle - pickup weapons, activate doors Circle - Reload X - Run, Vault

R3 is Bullet Time Up Directional Arrow is painkillers

Edit. I just completed the game, it was great. I did have some problems with it though. Audio would cut out in some cut scenes, max fell through the world a couple of times. Most of these were solved by me reinstalling the game on my system, but the audio did cut out on me during the last cutscene. Overall I thought it was a fantastic game.

flushpockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By flushpockets

@SuperCycle: is there an option to make R1 and L1 the aim and shoot buttons?

SuperCycle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SuperCycle

@flushpockets: Yes, actually. I never bothered to check while I was playing but it seems there are 4 different types of controls and there is an option to have the gun controls mapped to L! and R1.

flushpockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By flushpockets

@SuperCycle: cool, thanks for checking

green_sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By green_sky

@xaLieNxGrEyx said:

@TheHBK said:

Sucks is a strong word

Yea kids are still saying this after all this time. Which controller is better is a personal opinion and stating it as fact doesn't help. :)

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By X19

PS3, because it's the only thing I own that will run the game.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#30  Edited By Dagbiker

I agree that the dual shock sucks for shooters, but why?

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MikkaQ

I'd say I'm going for the 360 version since the PC one is coming so much later.

I don't like the mushy triggers on the PS3, and the positioning of the analog sticks has always bothered me.

Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
    whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@WilltheMagicAsian said:

Ditto. I got it on the pc. DX11, cheaper and free copy of Max Payne 1+2 +MIdnight Club 2

Sure, it's delayed by a week or two but as far as I can see, I'm getting a superior product at superior value.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By EVO

@Dagbiker said:

I agree that the dual shock sucks for shooters, but why?

The controller doesn't suck, you do.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Sooty

It's Rockstar, 360 > PS3 >>>>>>>>> PC 

Seriously if the PC version isn't borked I'll be so shocked.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Comes down to controller preference and whether multiple discs bother you. I haven't seen any other difference between the two mentioned in reviews. 

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By Raven10

PC assuming you have a good PC and Rockstar actually manages to optimize the game this time. 360 otherwise as I prefer the 360 controller to the dualshock when it comes to shooters. PS3 triggers are too mushy and analogue sticks are too loose.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By warxsnake
    @Sooty said:
    It's Rockstar, 360 > PS3 >>>>>>>>> PC  Seriously if the PC version isn't borked I'll be so shocked.
    I own both GTA4 PC and PS3.  
    GTA4PC >>>>>>>>>>>>>> PS3. PS3 gave me a headache with all the aliasing and rockstar minimaps are always so tiny I hated playing on my HDTV and preferred playing up close on a monitor. 
    Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Sooty
    @warxsnake said:
    @Sooty said:
    It's Rockstar, 360 > PS3 >>>>>>>>> PC  Seriously if the PC version isn't borked I'll be so shocked.
    I own both GTA4 PC and PS3.  GTA4PC >>>>>>>>>>>>>> PS3. PS3 gave me a headache with all the aliasing and rockstar minimaps are always so tiny I hated playing on my HDTV and preferred playing up close on a monitor. 
    Maybe now, GTA IV was terrible on PC when it first came out, it took about a year of patches for the shadows to look like something not from a PS1 game. 

and the optimisation was awful
    Avatar image for whyareyoucrouchingspock
    whyareyoucrouchingspock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I have a feeling Max Payne 3 will end up being a "sorry we fucked up" message and actually get alot of praise. Similar to Rocksteady with Arkham Asylum.

They dropped GFWL, so thats something at least.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By korwin

Console? :D

Although I do fully expect the PC version to actually be on fire (yes, they've spent time figuring out a way to digitally deliver fire to your house) when I open it up for the first time.

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Mars_Cleric

pc, even though they're over charging on steam

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By octaslash

@Mars_Cleric said:

On Steam, $59.99 has been a standard price for a while now. At least for most of the big publishers.

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Mars_Cleric

@Octaslash said:

@Mars_Cleric said:

On Steam, $59.99 has been a standard price for a while now. At least for most of the big publishers.

yeah but in australia for some games on steam they charge $89.99 USD which I think is stupid seeing as it's a digital download and stuff

MoseSSesoM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MoseSSesoM

Getting it on PS3, since I have the other two on PS2.

Smashlampjaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Smashlampjaw

PS3, Blu-Ray disc ftw!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.