This is pretty saddening to see.

• 71 results
#1 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

If you're not going to have the game set in noir-style NY, then why call it Max Payne?  Why trample over that franchise?  Why not just call it "grizzled bald killer 7" or something?  Without the noir setting, nothing sets Max Payne's story apart from every other game.  Nothing.  There is nothing special or interesting about this jack-ass they're calling Max.  He looks like he stepped out of Kane and Lynch 3.  I would really like to know what calling this character Max Payne adds to the story or game, if the character and setting resembles nothing we've seen before.  Yes, all characters have to age and change, but this is like Die Hard 5 revealing that John McClane is now a cyborg patrolling rural SC.  

#2 Posted by Drebin_893 (2915 posts) -

I haven't played the game so I can't judge. Maybe you should learn a lesson.

#3 Posted by Daryl (1781 posts) -
@Pie: Or a nik nak paddy. 
#4 Posted by Pie (7098 posts) -
@Daryl: Yeah yeah yeah, this guy get's it, now why cant you man?
#5 Posted by CoinMatze (471 posts) -
@Meowshi:  I was thinking the same thing a few days ago. What will the graphic novel cutscenes look like without the grey, rainy backgrounds? I'm okay with Max being bald and fat but the change of setting is off-putting. I fear it will turn out to be another Stranglehold.
#6 Posted by L33tfella_H (901 posts) -

There are 2 reason why i won't hold out much hope for MP3 (if it turns good, i'll consider it a miracle)

1. Not being developed by Remedy (the guys who did MP1 and 2)

2. Sam Lake isn't writing for it (this guy is the reason so many people hold a high regard for the storytelling in Max Payne 1 and 2, without him, that's a big chunk of the whole game's feel missing.)

So y'know what? It Might be good, but skepticism certainly holds more favour here than blind optimism.

#7 Posted by Iceland (163 posts) -

I'm just hoping for some sweet ass bullet time action... ENOUGH WITH THE COVER BASED SHOOTING!!!! 
 (I know that MP3 has cover based shooting)

#8 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

I really agree with OP. I hope this game never comes out.

#9 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -
@Meowshi: Transposing the noir genre to a sun-drenched locale is something I'm really keen on. Think along the lines of "The Long Goodbye" with Eliot Gould (though obviously bar that movie's skewering of time-frame). Turning the genre on its head may help the series in the long run.
#10 Posted by roofy (1005 posts) -

soo your saying that a noir-styled story cannot take place anywhere outside of New York or a big city? child please

#11 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -
@Drebin_893 said:
" I haven't played the game so I can't judge. Maybe you should learn a lesson. "
Huh? We know the setting and character design, and that's what I'm criticizing.  It's not like I'm criticizing the gameplay or something else we don't know about yet. 

If Bioware released screenshots of Mass Effect 3, and it turns out its a vampire-western hybrid; could I complain, or would I need to wait until the game is in my hands before I "judge" the stupid premise?
#12 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -
@roofy said:
" soo your saying that a noir-styled story cannot take place anywhere outside of New York or a big city? child please "
Well, many neo-noir directors think like you.  They think you can slap that title on to anything and be a credible entry into the genre.  Looks like Rockstar is making the same mistake.  
#13 Edited by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -

SLOW MO BULLET DODGE!

That's what made it different.

Besides that, they're also making an LA Noir game thus, saying noir-styled things can only take place in NYC is wrong!

#14 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -

You don't seem intelligent enough to know what Noir means.

#15 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -
@FunExplosions: he definitely uses that world alot. 

but on a serious note. where are you getting your info from? the few screenshots thay have on the site? i dont think that constitutes the whole games story.
#16 Edited by Meowshi (2911 posts) -
@TheMustacheHero said:

" SLOW MO BULLET DODGE!  That's what made it different.  Besides that, they're also making an LA Noir game thus, saying noir-styled things can only take place in NYC is wrong! "

Huh? 

You really think the slow-mo was the only thing that stood out in that game?  I don't have a very extensive background in gaming, can you name a game that had similar noir elements before Max Payne?  

@FunExplosions

said: 

" You don't seem intelligent enough to know what Noir means. "

Your tedious insult doesn't add anything to this thread, though I'm assuming you already knew that before hitting the reply button.        
#17 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -
@Meowshi said:
" @TheMustacheHero said:

" SLOW MO BULLET DODGE!  That's what made it different.  Besides that, they're also making an LA Noir game thus, saying noir-styled things can only take place in NYC is wrong! "

Huh? 

You really think the slow-mo was the only thing that stood out in that game?  I don't have a very extensive background in gaming, can you name a game that had similar noir elements before Max Payne?  

@FunExplosions said: 

And your baseless insult doesn't add anything to this thread.     "
Your thread doesn't add anything to anything.
#18 Posted by Milkman (16786 posts) -

Isn't "Grizzled Bald Killer 7" that new Suda 51 game?

#19 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -
@FunExplosions: it adds to his post count
#20 Edited by ProfessorEss (7368 posts) -

A videogame is a product of people's hard work.
A franchise is a company's sales and marketing tool.

People should do themselves a favour and take every individual game for what it's worth.

The first one was AWESOME regardless, and how any sequel could sully someone's memories of it is beyond me.

#21 Posted by roofy (1005 posts) -
@Meowshi: they havent released anything about the story aside from it taking place in what appears to be brazil and that max has let go of himself.

doesnt explain the motivations, plot, cinematic style or anything that could give you the information needed to support your statement that its not noir-styled 

try again when you learn what makes a movie/game noir styled
#22 Edited by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

Okay, so I'm ignoring this  FunExplosions troll now.  Anyway, the reason I started this thread was actually because I got the Max Payne movie On Demand, and realized how much it failed to capture the atmosphere of the games.  

Just reminded me of how little the MP3 screenshots looked like...well, Max Payne.  It seriously looks like it could be another character in another franchise.  

#23 Posted by ZagZagovich (763 posts) -
@TheMustacheHero: 
I think it's more about what people like about the noir and not what it actually is. For example I like a story about a framed cop with a dead family who makes dry jokes and vague methaphors in a city that constantly has bad weather, dark nights and infinite number of mobsters and junkies that are after you. If you take that away you get a neat shooter but without that certain something that made it interesting in the first place. Also I'm just bored with jungle countries. It was like a theme last year, kind of like all those shanghai games that are supposed to come out this year. I'm pretty sure the game will be alright but I'm also pretty sure that it won't be Max Payne 3.
#24 Posted by Jambones (1696 posts) -

"Dude, just add a prolonged blood maze with the sounds of crying in the background and we're gold." *High Fives*

#25 Posted by Ryax (4630 posts) -

the movie sucked. dont expect the game to suck.

#26 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -
@Jambones said:

" "Dude, just add a prolonged blood maze with the sounds of crying in the background and we're gold." *High Fives* "

Hell yeah. 

@roofy said: 

@Meowshi: they havent released anything about the story aside from it taking place in what appears to be brazil and that max has let go of himself.  doesnt explain the motivations, plot, cinematic style or anything that could give you the information needed to support your statement that its not noir-styled   try again when you learn what makes a movie/game noir styled "

Setting and atmosphere are a large part of the genre.  Visual style is far more important than you're making it out to be.    
#27 Posted by UnsolvedParadox (1863 posts) -

They've earned the benefit of the doubt from me.

#28 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

Fair enough.

#29 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -
@Meowshi said:
" @TheMustacheHero said:

Huh? 

@FunExplosions

said: 

Your tedious insult doesn't add anything to this thread, though I'm assuming you already knew that before hitting the reply button.         "
Dude Max Payne was like the first game to ever use bullet time.
#30 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

Let's face it. Max's constipated look wasn't doing him any favors. A change of direction might just be a good idea. Besides, this is Rockstar. They have a pretty great track record, so if I were you, I wouldn't worry too much. While it might look like a totally different game, I'm sure they won't abandon the series' roots.

#31 Posted by Icemael (6320 posts) -
@Meowshi said:
"@roofy said: 

@Meowshi: they havent released anything about the story aside from it taking place in what appears to be brazil and that max has let go of himself.  doesnt explain the motivations, plot, cinematic style or anything that could give you the information needed to support your statement that its not noir-styled   try again when you learn what makes a movie/game noir styled "

Setting and atmosphere are a large part of the genre.  Visual style is far more important than you're making it out to be."
No. While there's a visual style that's associated with noir, it isn't actually part of the genre. A movie/game with the visual style associated with noir doesn't necessarily have to be noir, and similarly, a noir movie/game doesn't necessarily need to have that visual style.
#32 Posted by xyzygy (9988 posts) -

If you're a fan of Remedy and Max Payne, you should be looking out for Alan Wake. It's gonna be awesome.

#33 Posted by Dirty_Harry (717 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
" If you're a fan of Remedy and Max Payne, you should be looking out for Alan Wake. It's gonna be awesome. "
Pretty much what im doing.
#34 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -
@Icemael said:
" @Meowshi said:
"@roofy said: 

Setting and atmosphere are a large part of the genre.  Visual style is far more important than you're making it out to be."
No. While there's a visual style that's associated with noir, it isn't actually part of the genre. A movie/game with the visual style associated with noir doesn't necessarily have to be noir, and similarly, a noir movie/game doesn't necessarily need to have that visual style. "
Uh huh.  And what exactly does a movie necessarily need in order to qualify as noir?  Is there a checklist?  Perhaps there is some sort of noir deity who alone determines whether or not a film is worthy of bearing the name?  

I get that you don't think visual style matters in capturing the authentic noir experience (which I find to be ludicrous), so this isn't important to you, but it is to me.  If Max Payne had looked like Vice City, I wouldn't have connected with it as much.   

I mean sure, elements associated with noir have been used in other genres.  So what?  
#35 Posted by Seedofpower (3928 posts) -
@Milkman: No you thinking of "Grizzled Bald Killer 8."
#36 Posted by OldGuy (1557 posts) -

I'll just point out here: Double Indemnity is set mostly in the suburbs and it is considered the BLUEPRINT for Film Noir. Body Heat was also set in the suburbs and filmed in color and I will fight to the death (actual death not included) anyone who wants to try to claim it is NOT a top Film Noir.

You could set a film on a sun dappled beach and have it be noir if you do it right.

The poster makes no claims that MP3 will stink or not stink, that remains to be seen.

#37 Posted by Expletive (1057 posts) -

Cool story, bro.

#38 Posted by rjayb89 (7721 posts) -

#39 Posted by Icemael (6320 posts) -
@Meowshi said:
" @Icemael said:
" @Meowshi said:
"@roofy said: 

No. While there's a visual style that's associated with noir, it isn't actually part of the genre. A movie/game with the visual style associated with noir doesn't necessarily have to be noir, and similarly, a noir movie/game doesn't necessarily need to have that visual style. "
Uh huh.  And what exactly does a movie necessarily need in order to qualify as noir?  Is there a checklist?  Perhaps there is some sort of noir deity who alone determines whether or not a film is worthy of bearing the name?   I get that you don't think visual style matters in capturing the authentic noir experience (which I find to be ludicrous), so this isn't important to you, but it is to me.  If Max Payne had looked like Vice City, I wouldn't have connected with it as much.    I mean sure, elements associated with noir have been used in other genres.  So what?"
Much like horror, science fiction, fantasy, action, adventure, et cetera, the noir genre is defined by its themes and stories, not the visual style. 

Maybe you associate the noir genre with a certain visual style; that's fine. Maybe you think that certain visual style enhances your noir experience; that's fine, too. But if you think the visual style is a necessity, you are wrong; much like someone who doesn't think a work of fiction set in a world that doesn't look like medieval Europe can qualify as 'fantasy', or someone who thinks all science fiction has to use the clean, geometrical visual style present in a lot of popular sci-fi universes. 

You have every right to dislike the direction they've taken with Max Payne 3's visual style, but until we know more about the story, you can't say anything about its status as noir.
#40 Posted by FoxMulder (1691 posts) -

Hell this could have the best game play out of the series, but no noir is a big no from me.

#41 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -

It's kind of sad... as in disappointing, not pathetic

#42 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

We haven't seen a single shot of the game in motion.

#43 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -
@FunExplosions said:
Noir means night in French but still there's no need to be rude to a person who's sharing his own opinion.  While the nature of the story may still be neo-noir the context of the character of Max and his surroundings have changed quite considerably compared the first two games and it is beginning to look at least to me as if the publishers have chosen to use the name of the franchise to sell an entirely different style of game. Max Payne was not just a third person shooter, it was a seminal example of film-noir focus on a story driven plot where the hero was more of an Anti-Hero and I have to agree that what we've seen so far doesn't seem to sit in line with the Max Payne themes fans know and love.  I'm still keeping an open mind but by the same token I think people like yourself should allow people to share their opinions without the need to attack them and bully them with the help from your cronies.
#44 Posted by BryanDeth316 (22 posts) -

OP...dude mellow out already. 

The game isn't going to be in New York, deal. You can still have the Noir feel of it. It wasn't the city that made it, it was the character and the narrative and the story. Maybe, just maybe they can get it right. Or maybe I am giving the developers too much credit, but Rockstar has been doing well the last few years so why not give them a fair shot? 

I did a post previously about how it makes sense storywise for Max Payne to leave NY. Who would want to stay in a city where the most traumatic few years of your life took place? Why would you want the constant painful reminders of what you'd lost? And also with all that went on, do you REALLY think that he'd be back on the NYPD? It only makes sense that the location would be changed.
#45 Posted by Jerome85 (258 posts) -

Actually New York City/Noir York City was a major part of the first games.

#46 Posted by gamb1t (965 posts) -

My honest opinion i hope it gets canceled.

#47 Posted by IkariNoTekken (990 posts) -

Wait what is going on...

#48 Posted by Gamer_152 (14078 posts) -
@gamb1t said:
" My honest opinion i hope it gets canceled. "
Why would you want it to get cancelled? Just because you aren't looking to buy the game why would you want to stop people who might enjoy it from getting it?
#49 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5257 posts) -

The game isn't out yet.  And it sure as hell wasn't out 9 months ago.  It could be a change for the better.

#50 Posted by buft (3317 posts) -
@Milkman said:
" Isn't "Grizzled Bald Killer 7" that new Suda 51 game? "
probably see that in the near future.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.