Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Max Payne 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 15, 2012

The long-awaited third Max Payne game finally arrived in May 2012, courtesy of Rockstar Vancouver. Eight years after the end of Max Payne 2, an aging, burnt-out Max finds one last chance to redeem himself while working as a bodyguard for a rich family in Brazil.

What is *wrong* with this community? (poll).

• 142 results
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#51  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Can I say that I am extremely excited for Max Payne 3? (Played first one, never got around to 2 (I know, I know!)). Why do they say cautiously? I know it's in brackets, but still.

Avatar image for mustachioeugene
    mustachioeugene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#52  Edited By mustachioeugene

Really liked 1 & 2 when they were originally released, might check out MP3 at some point.

Sysyphus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By Sysyphus

I fucking love both Max Payne 1 and 2 and am really looking forward to Max Payne 3. Say what you will about it not being developed by Remedy, but Rockstar blew me away with Red Dead Redemption and from what we've seen so far from Max Payne 3 it looks like it's more of a modern reappropriation than a complete stylistic overhaul. Of course i'm cautiously optimistic about the final outcome (as obviously trailers have to be less Psychological and more just straight up shoot-that-dude!! ), but I have faith in R* and hope that they will make a sequel worthy of bearing the Max Payne name.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By OldGuy

Other: No bitching: Played both, loved both, believe that 3 will likely be very good, so I'm not cautious.

So there.

bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#55  Edited By bkbroiler

I really enjoyed both 1 and 2. Probably won't play 3 because my PC isn't up to snuff any more. Not all that excited about it either way.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Subjugation

I was crunching painkillers before it was cool. And slo-mo diving in subways for no reason.

shishkebab09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By shishkebab09

@AhmadMetallic said:

@JasonR86 said:

Other.

I've played a little of both of the games and thought they were fine. I'm sort of looking forward to Max Payne 3 but, financially, I'm not in a situation where I can be too excited about it.

That's not other, that's A :/

Bitch, please!

Avatar image for deactivated-6510b42705eab
    deactivated-6510b42705eab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

I never played the first two. I just wasn't interested in them when they came out. I'm thinking about trying to play the first at least. I've heard a lot of good things about them.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#59  Edited By FLStyle

B. I've played and enjoyed Max Payne 1 and/or 2, not happy with 3 [so far (optional addition)]

I never played the 1st game but enjoyed the 2nd one, pretty indifferent to the 3rd game which will lose its noir roots around 10% - 30% into the game. The noir setting and story was the only thing I was really interested in.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By napalm

This poll is fucking stupid.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By MikeGosot
    I never played any Max Payne game and i'm really looking forward to 3. Because i live in São Paulo and i love run n' gun shooters. Besides, the game looks like it's really fun to play and the weapons pack a punch. I really liked Stranglehold, so i don't see why i wouldn't love MP3.

@Napalm said:

Oh c'mon! It's not that bad.
    FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By FilipHolm

Don't like Video Games

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Cloudenvy

Played Max Payne 1 and 2, don't really care about them and I don't really care about Max Payne 3!

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#64  Edited By Sooperspy

I've played the first and second and am super exited for the third.

Dynablade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#65  Edited By Dynablade

I've never played either of the Max Payne games, though I'm taking a wait and see approach with Max Payne 3.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By napalm

@MikeGosot said:

I never played any Max Payne game and i'm really looking forward to 3. Because i live in São Paulo and i love run n' gun shooters. Besides, the game looks like it's really fun to play and the weapons pack a punch. I really liked Stranglehold, so i don't see why i wouldn't love MP3.

@Napalm said:

Oh c'mon! It's not that bad.

Yeah, it is. I don't understand what is the purpose of creating a severely lopsided poll where every answer eventually ends in, "I might possible be interested in Max Payne 3". Yeah, it's the internet, but it's self-servicing in the most annoying, fanboy-ish way possible. "Justify my opinion please!"

retrovirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By retrovirus

Max Payne was really fun and cool with the slo-mo and the diving, but I just got completely turned off by the shipyard section having to try and snipe enemies while moving on that conveyor.

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
    deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Looks fantastic. Anybody who thinks differently then me is a moron. I'll stand by that.

Chemin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#69  Edited By Chemin

Max Payne 2 is probably on my favorite games list, and the first one was great. Option C it is for me then! Yessir!

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Th3_James

Played 1 and 2, really looking forward to 3. Not cautious at all, I have faith in them from the videos they have released alone.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm only cautiously looking forward to three because I'm buying the PC version. So, C.

squirrelnacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By squirrelnacho

@Stonyman65 said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Joking title, implying that not knowing/loving Max Payne is a flaw.

If you've enjoyed one and disliked the other, pick the enjoyed OR the disliked option based on your general opinion of the two games as a franchise. Don't hit OTHER!

But seriously, sometimes I think I'm in an alternate reality when I see so many of you guys who simply do not know what Max Payne is, or think it's a shooter where you run forward and shoot in slow motion...
    The MP games have some of the best most intriguing and emotional stories, incredibly fun shooting mechanics and smart level design, and overall a once-in-a-life-time kind of noire video game atmosphere.
    Yet when I'm with other duders on our voice server or the IRC chatroom or these forums, 9 out of 10 people think it's a shootdodge simulator and nothing more.
    It's not that I'm mad because I'm a fan, it's simply surprising because Max Payne is such a famous and well-known video game name, and the two games put together sold 7.5 million copies which was alot 10 years ago.

I simply can't think of any other game that sold so much, has such an iconic and popular name, yet is barely known by seasoned gamers. It's strange!

I think the problem is that here on GB, a good number of the guys here are/where too young to play that game when it came out. These are the same people who think that Halo was the first FPS game lol.

This. Many people here were way to young to have played, nevermind completed, the first two when they were released. So when people who HAVE completed the first two explain why this game might not be a great Max Payne game, they don't get it.

I think Max Payne 3 will overall be a good action game, just not a great Max Payne sequel.

The first Max Payne games were known for their complex, quirky, dark and gritty, story and setting. The new game will probably be a good action game, but it won't have the depth and and atmosphere of the first two. The trailers are going more for a simplistic action narrative than the better blend of sublety and nuance from the first two. Moving the setting to Brazil was not a great decision. It's clear this is being made by a different developer from the first two. The last game came out so long ago so few people would have complained if the third game took place in the same setting as the first two. Seriously, Max is going to be hired by an obviously corrupt figure? Everything in the first two games makes it completely improbable that Max's character would ever do that.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By laserbolts

I've played max payne 1 and 2 and thought they were half decent games. Really looking forward to 3 though since Rockstar never lets me down it seems.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#74  Edited By GunstarRed

I've just stopped playing about an hour of Max Payne for the first time (they gave it away on PSN+ this week) and other than some enjoyably quirky, yet kinda terrible storytelling it really is just a shooter where you run forward and shoot in slow motion... it doesn't even play as well as its clone Stranglehold.

squirrelnacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By squirrelnacho

@GunstarRed said:

I've just stopped playing about an hour of Max Payne for the first time (they gave it away on PSN+ this week) and other than some enjoyably quirky, yet kinda terrible storytelling it really is just a shooter where you run forward and shoot in slow motion... it doesn't even play as well as its clone Stranglehold.

What did you expect, Stranglehold came out in 2007, not 2001 like Max Payne, of course its going to play like a more modern game. That said, Max Payne is far better for its time. Stranglehold was not a great game.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#76  Edited By GunstarRed

@squirrelnacho: Yeah, thats a little unfair comparing games that far apart. So many people speak so fondly of that game that I just expected more from it, and my first impression was "this is like a bad Stranglehold"...and I don't even like Stranglehold that much.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#77  Edited By Undeadpool

@AhmadMetallic: LOOOOOOOOVED the first two, but nothing I've seen screams "Rockstar is half-assing this!" I mean these guys have made some of my favorite games, from both a gameplay AND narrative perspective (let's just forget that State of Emergency ever existed...), so based on previous experiences: why SHOULDN'T I be stoked?

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#78  Edited By cornbredx

I'm a "seasoned" gamer. I played and rather enjoyed Max Payne 1 and 2 and am cautiously optimistic about 3.

I know me some Max Payne. Great games, especially Max Payne 2. I have played them so many times.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By bybeach

I remember the first time I saw a blurb for Max Payne on another video-game jacket and went, that looks dumb. Then I played Max Payne and realized it was going to be one of my core gaming experiences. Felt the same about Max Payne 2, though the territory wasn't new anymore. Still the hardcore love relationship with Mona Sax, the over-all emotional intensity plus the realized charactors mostly made it. Being true to what it is isn't always a bad thing...

We will see what Three does. Remedy seems to be positive about it..and so do a few other ppl., including someone who played a bit of it recently at a convention. I do hear that.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Ravenlight

OTHER: I only enjoy simulations of camping and soldiers.

InsidiousTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By InsidiousTuna

Where's the option for 'really goddamn excited' for MP3? I enjoyed the first two, and this new one could be great.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By NTM

I've had them both on PC and Xbox for a very long time, and I've beaten the second about four times, and loved it, as for the first, I had originally loved it, but that was before I beat it. I think it's because I beat it just earlier this year on the 360, which makes it kind of slow and the sensitivity wasn't great, but I didn't thoroughly enjoy that. It's sad to know that I stopped playing the first a long time ago because of a very easily noticeable part of the game that I had got stuck at. I think overall, it's: I love the Max Payne games, and Max Payne 3 is one of my most anticipated games for this year. The only thing I'm cautious about is the soundtrack; I want to know what it sounds like since it's from a band called HEALTH.

Funzzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Funzzo

Played both on PC and I love them both. I can't wait for max payne 3. Steam preorder for sure.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#84  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

Other. Never played either of the first games. (Not cautiously) looking forward to 3.

There's no caution here. It's a $60 game, not a mortgage.

Sadly it comes out the same day as two other games I'm buying as well, but hey.

Vextroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#85  Edited By Vextroid

Played 2 and enjoyed every minute of it. 3 looks pretty good, though I'm not really following it in terms of news and updates. I'm mainly cautious about the PC version. It's comming out later then the consoles and its a Rockstar PC port.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By ViciousReiven

Other: I fucking love Max Payne 1 and 2 and am fucking hyped for 3.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By tim_the_corsair

Loved 1 and 2, but I have no faith at all in Rockstar to make a good game (I felt B didn't express my thoughts strongly enough, so I chose Other)

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By valrog

I just don't like mindless shooting, that's all.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#89  Edited By EuanDewar

Oh yeah HEALTH. That's pretty cool.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Max Payne were crazy stories in the age when action games didn't have stories. Back in the day you had to play RPGs to actually get a decent story out of a game. Things have got better.

Max Payne 3, they've spent years and money on it. I'm sure that will show.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By AlexanderSheen

C. I want to believe, but the fact that Sam Lake is not working on this is sadden me.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#92  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

I FUCKING L-O-V-E the first two games, and i have no idea what to think about the third one.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#93  Edited By Ghostiet

A. But I'm not "cautiously" looking forward to, I'm excited.

I bet the OP is going to blast the game until it comes out, then he'll play it, declare it GOTY and then shit on it as the end of an era for video games after a month. Like he does half the time.

At least it's "nice" to know a bit of KaosAngel still lurks on the forums.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#94  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    I love these poll results, I was starting to think ya'll barely know what Max Payne even is. 
    You make me proud, Giant Bomb. 

@Stonyman65 said:

I think the problem is that here on GB, a good number of the guys here are/where too young to play that game when it came out. These are the same people who think that Halo was the first FPS game lol.

I find that hard to believe when over half the community is madly inlove with Ocarina of Time, Starcraft and FF7 

@Subjugation  said: 

I was crunching painkillers before it was cool. And slo-mo diving in subways for no reason.

I like you. 

@Rolyatkcinmai  said: 

There's no caution here. It's a $60 game, not a mortgage.

Stop blowing your money in my face Nick, just STOP IT!
    Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#95  Edited By BulletproofMonk

@Dany said:

I don't think that Rockstar is taking any missteps in their approach in making MP3. Its been years since the last game and its a new studio. The changes make sense and the type of studio that rockstar can bring life to Max Payne. I loved MP1 and 2 when I was a kid, replayed the constnatly but I drifted away from the series and am excited with what Rockstar can do.

Also, HEALTH :D

This is pretty much what I was going to write.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By FritzDude

A - I've enjoyed both games when they came out and I think they are great to this day, as a good third person shooter and a good story driven game. The dialogues are golden and will always put a smile on my face. I just hope Max Payne 3 will do the same. I probably didn't care too much of it when it was first announced, but more I see of it the more I get excited.

Avatar image for condorcalabasas
    CondorCalabasas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By CondorCalabasas

C. Max Payne 1 is in my top ten of my favourite games.

The story was beautifully paced, had just the right amount of twists and turns, a couple laughs, and perfectly voice acted.

The gameplay rewarded you for being accurate, thinking quickly, and being strategic.

And punished you for screwing up any of the above.

I absolutely hated Max Payne 2, the enemies were boring to play against (really cleaners?, c'mon), the story was extremely predictable, and when it wasn't, it was stupid, the rag doll physics were far worse than the death animations in MP1, your guns didn't feel as powerful, the new weapons were boring, there was no thrill watching the plot or characters, it wasn't noir in any way shape or form, and most of all wasn't based on norse mythology, it basically had one simple plot line and that was it, when MP1 had several strings that all came together in the end

I've stated it once in another thread, but my biggest concern about MP3 is if I'am forced to use golden guns after I've unlocked them (but someone who's never played the game assured me I'd be able to turn it on or off)

And if theres nothing similar to the norse mythology references in MP1, I really enjoyed that.

Also it might be nice to have another drug trip, maybe without the blood line puzzle this time, but every other part of that shit was awesome.

Other than that, it looks like they fixed everything from MP2, so I'am very much looking forward to MP3

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only played and loved Max Payne 1. Looking forward to 3? this poll is broken =P

AxleBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By AxleBro

bitch please!

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#100  Edited By impartialgecko
    Totally stoked for 3 and YES I've played the first 2 games. I don't see why people are upset with the direction Rockstar is taking with 3. Max Payne 1 was so much more ridiculous than 2, the new "descent into madness in the sunshine" theme that Rockstar are running with seems like a natural evolution of that character. No [cautiously] necessary, I reserve the right to believe Rockstar can make a good crime drama

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.