Why Is This Game 2 Discs On 360?

#1 Posted by MKSKILLZ16 (130 posts) -

I'm looking to buy this game, and will probably get it on the 360, but I was wondering what about this game demands a 2 disc release.

#2 Posted by Zacagawea (1589 posts) -

They intentionally want to inconvenience you

#3 Edited by xyzygy (9944 posts) -

No idea. I don't know how they can fit a game like RDR which looks fantastic, is long as hell, and has tons of cutscenes, voice acting, mo-cap, etc PLUS multiplayer on one disc, and then release a more linear game like MP3 on two discs. I don't get it. Especially after the 360 discs just got a 1GB increase in usable size.

Disc swapping is a non-issue, it's just curious to think about how they couldn't fit it into one disc.

#4 Posted by captain_clayman (3320 posts) -

at least you won't have to download 35gb's on steam.

#5 Posted by Sackmanjones (4687 posts) -
@Zacagawea

They intentionally want to inconvenience you

Seriously it's just him. They wrote me a personal letter of apology just because they wanted to fuck with MKSKILLZ
#6 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1726 posts) -

Cutscenes, maybe. Uncompressed audio, less likely.

#7 Posted by MKSKILLZ16 (130 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

No idea. I don't know how they can fit a game like RDR which looks fantastic, is long as hell, and has tons of cutscenes, voice acting, mo-cap, etc PLUS multiplayer on one disc, and then release a more linear game like MP3 on two discs. I don't get it. Especially after the 360 discs just got a 1GB increase in usable size.

Disc swapping is a non-issue, it's just curious to think about how they couldn't fit it into one disc.

Exactly this, and I don't care if I have to swap discs, it just strikes me as weird.

#8 Posted by mlarrabee (2924 posts) -

Textures is probably a good deal of it.

RDR was a huge game, but the texture variety was probably less than that in MP3.

But that's totally conjecture from an uninformed observer.

#9 Posted by TinyGallon (193 posts) -

Wow, that means Redbox won't stock the 360 version.. Hope they offer it on PS3

#10 Posted by Demoskinos (14763 posts) -

@TinyGallon: No they have it they are just renting out the first disc... which seems kinda useless....

Online
#11 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@captain_clayman said:

at least you won't have to download 35gb's on steam.

Wait, seriously? No.. you.. haha, you got me.

#12 Posted by CosmicBatman (317 posts) -

@mlarrabee: I would totally agree, this game is surprisingly detailed.

#13 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1556 posts) -

Because there is a lot of audio dialog that Max spits out randomly during the game.  There is also a ton of cut scenes in the game and they are long.... very long at times.

#14 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

@sins_of_mosin said:

Because there is a lot of audio dialog that Max spits out randomly during the game. There is also a ton of cut scenes in the game and they are long.... very long at times.

Damn, that's ridiculous. How does that even work? Are you playing the game and a screen says "Max wants to say a one-liner. Insert disc 2 to hear what it is!"

#15 Posted by AndrewB (7577 posts) -

Better they stick it on two discs than compromise the game otherwise because of the ancient disc format.

#16 Posted by SarjuTheRapper (279 posts) -

@AndrewB said:

Better they stick it on two discs than compromise the game otherwise because of the ancient disc format.

pretty much.

does anyone know whether or not mp3 has performance issues on ps3? I'm kind of curious now

#17 Posted by IkariNoTekken (990 posts) -

Well, texture detail, audio and animation will certainly add up but don't forget that the game also has a load of physics, AI routines and real time bullet rendering.

#18 Posted by TinyGallon (193 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@TinyGallon: No they have it they are just renting out the first disc... which seems kinda useless....

Wow, just read that on the Redbox site.. What in the hell are they thinking?? Why even bother renting out HALF of the game. Seems like that would only serve to piss people off

via Redbox site: ONLY DISC 1 AVAILABLE. DISC 1 INCLUDES THE FIRST HALF OF SINGLE PLAYER GAME AND THE MULTIPLAYER PORTION OF THE GAME.

#19 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

@murisan said:

@captain_clayman said:

at least you won't have to download 35gb's on steam.

Wait, seriously? No.. you.. haha, you got me.

thats what hard drive space it requires. but that won't be the size of the download of course.

#20 Posted by TooWalrus (13164 posts) -

It's big.

#21 Posted by StingingVelvet (569 posts) -

It's not length of game, it's number of assets.

The complete lack of understanding of some of the stuff behind video games is really surprising sometimes.

#22 Posted by musclerider (589 posts) -

Because you're parents don't love each other anymore.

#23 Posted by Zleunamme (655 posts) -

It can't be as bad during the PS One era. I remembering playing Fear Effect and it came with four discs. The problem was that swapping discs were not in sequential order. Start with disc one the switch disc three. Insert disc two and then four. It would suck if you had borrowed the game from a friend or rented it. I just imagine PC gamers laughing their asses off at the inconvenience of just swapping two discs.

#24 Posted by yesac2004 (116 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

It's big.

I think we're done here.

#25 Posted by sins_of_mosin (1556 posts) -
@Lunar_Aura said:

@sins_of_mosin said:

Because there is a lot of audio dialog that Max spits out randomly during the game. There is also a ton of cut scenes in the game and they are long.... very long at times.

Damn, that's ridiculous. How does that even work? Are you playing the game and a screen says "Max wants to say a one-liner. Insert disc 2 to hear what it is!"

No, he just talks a lot during missions.  Its really getting on my nerves actually.  I'm like stop your QQ you little bitch and just get on with it.  I really not enjoying the presentation but thats for another thread/blog.
#26 Edited by IAmNotBatman (628 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

It's big.

Incase the words this man of literal depth are too complex for you then you should know that The Witcher 2 takes up over 15GBs of space and if you didn't already know... One disc holds a maximum of (approx) 7.5GBs so do the math son. Nothing else needs explaining here...

#27 Posted by jakob187 (21663 posts) -

Why was Dead Space 2 a two-disc game? It was because of high rez and uncompressed textures, massive audio files, full in-game cutscenes, etc etc. They didn't want the game to lose any luster in translation from that disc to your screen.

From what I've seen of Max Payne 3, it's very much the same way.

#28 Edited by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

Why was Dead Space 2 a two-disc game? It was because of high rez and uncompressed textures, massive audio files, full in-game cutscenes, etc etc. They didn't want the game to lose any luster in translation from that disc to your screen.

From what I've seen of Max Payne 3, it's very much the same way.

This is essentially the proper reasoning, though it would have been nice to see multiplayer on both discs as you did with Dead Space 2.

Can I also posit that the game might not be the efficiently coded game in the world? I mean, that team is simply trying to get Max Payne 3 out the door at this point, especially if the GTAV in 2012 rumors hold true. That's not a criticism, as it's something the player will never see, but it is possible.

#29 Posted by laserbolts (5317 posts) -

Because it can't fit on one disc. It isn't rocket science.

#30 Posted by Toms115 (2316 posts) -

it's because one disc has max's hair on it and the other doesn't. it takes up all the space.

#31 Posted by Skyfire543 (677 posts) -

@captain_clayman said:

at least you won't have to download 35gb's on steam.

I wont either, because I'm buy the game PC retail.

Yup.

#32 Posted by RoyCampbell (1096 posts) -
@SarjuTheRapper said:

@AndrewB said:

Better they stick it on two discs than compromise the game otherwise because of the ancient disc format.

pretty much.

does anyone know whether or not mp3 has performance issues on ps3? I'm kind of curious now

I've had the audio desync, as in, see lines of dialogue and words in that dialogue correspond with what's going on but the speech isn't audible until after a few seconds. It's happened about two or three times in my 7 or so hours of playing. It's more awkward than anything; had that happen while a bus was being poorly driven (if you've played, you know what I mean. I tried to keep it as vague as possible for obvious reasons).
 
I've also fallen through the map once - I died horribly; rolled in a deep swamp and got stuck - was teleported back to safety. That's about as much as I can remember. Still a great game. Pretty incredible that there aren't any obvious loading screens to be found, so some of that stuff can be excused since it isn't really game breaking. I'd have preferred less slogs and meat grinding, though; pain killers seem to be too out of reach and checkpoints are inconsistent and set you a little too far back.
#33 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1958 posts) -
@TinyGallon

@Demoskinos said:

@TinyGallon: No they have it they are just renting out the first disc... which seems kinda useless....

Wow, just read that on the Redbox site.. What in the hell are they thinking?? Why even bother renting out HALF of the game. Seems like that would only serve to piss people off

via Redbox site: ONLY DISC 1 AVAILABLE. DISC 1 INCLUDES THE FIRST HALF OF SINGLE PLAYER GAME AND THE MULTIPLAYER PORTION OF THE GAME.

Wow, that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Who the hell would waste their money renting that?
#34 Posted by BBQBram (2222 posts) -

Why do people care about swapping discs a few times in any game that's longer than say five hours?

#35 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

So Redbox can let you rent one half of the singleplayer. Shame on me, shoulda done my research. I figured disc 2 was multiplayer.

ME SO WRONG.

#36 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@RollingZeppelin: :( Uh.. well.. at least I got to try out the mechanics?

#37 Posted by rolanthas (242 posts) -

@Zleunamme: wait are you sure? damn that's messed up. I played through that 2-3 times for endings etc.

such a shame it doesn't hold up control-wise today.

#38 Posted by ShaggE (6416 posts) -

@Zleunamme said:

I just imagine PC gamers laughing their asses off at the inconvenience of just swapping two discs.

#39 Posted by AltonBrown (950 posts) -

@SarjuTheRapper: Not that I've noticed. Runs really well for me.

#40 Posted by SarjuTheRapper (279 posts) -
@RoyCampbell: that sounds pretty darn well polished
#41 Posted by SgtGrumbles (1024 posts) -

Because the scope and asset quality of games has improved over the course of the generation that we are nearing the end of, did you really not understand or were you just making a point...

#42 Posted by EVO (3890 posts) -

@RollingZeppelin said:

@TinyGallon

@Demoskinos said:

@TinyGallon: No they have it they are just renting out the first disc... which seems kinda useless....

Wow, just read that on the Redbox site.. What in the hell are they thinking?? Why even bother renting out HALF of the game. Seems like that would only serve to piss people off

via Redbox site: ONLY DISC 1 AVAILABLE. DISC 1 INCLUDES THE FIRST HALF OF SINGLE PLAYER GAME AND THE MULTIPLAYER PORTION OF THE GAME.

Wow, that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Who the hell would waste their money renting that?

People that just wanna play multiplayer?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.