Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Max Payne

Franchise »

This stylish noir thriller series developed by Remedy relies heavily on 'Bullet Time' and sees the player on a quest for revenge.

Max Payne the movie, a good idea?

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

Yeah, it's a good idea, the games technically are interactive movies, but Mark Wahlberg as Max, Mila Kunis as Mona and last.... Ludacris as Jim Bravura... I'll just let that hang in the air for a moment.

Say What?

NOT the same person.
    NOT the same person.

What's next? Demons? Oh wait....

Anyone who actually think this movie has ANY chance of being good?
    TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

WHAT?!

Okay, I was kind of excited for this...but no. Just no.

I like Ludacris and everything dont get me wrong, his performance in Crash was phenomenal, but...aghhh.

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

I never watched Crash, so I don't know about his acting skills, but there is a little problem... He is not an old dude with heart problems. And Mila Kunis as Mona? No thank you, sir.

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Illmatic

Just saw the new trailer for this movie. My jaded gamer side is still aprehensive, but the rest of me is screaming "YES!"

breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By breton

From the trailers, I think the movie looks fine. Is the adaptation going to be great? Obviously-ish not. I think it'll make money, but still be a rather disappointment among fans.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By danielkempster

Movies based on games are generally not good ideas. This is the sad truth I've come to realise.

GagJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By GagJ

I don;t care about Ludacris but the latest trailer suggested the Valkyries were real which is stupid

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By kush

I think this movie could actually turn out rather well. I've seen the trailers and it doesn't look that bad. It's true that the movie isn't a perfect and exact representation of the games, but I would rather see them change things up for film version of a video game rather than make an non-interactive video game like that ridiculous FPS part in the Doom film.

Mushir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Mushir

The movie will be a disappointment for fans of the games. Others may like it.

I wish they made the movie with the EXACT same story as the game. Seriously the first game has one of the best stories ever told in a game.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pause422

It doesn't look nearly as bad as plenty of other video game movies that completely add characters not in the games, and don't include characters that were in the games for the entire story...I believe all those angel creature things were was a vision and they were basically showing from the effects of the Valkyr drug and nothing more. It hands down isn't gonna be a great movie, I'm sure we all know that..but it has potential to at least be decent or somewhat good I think more so then plenty of others that looked like complete shit from the start.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HandsomeDead

Yeah, like pause 422 said, i'm sure that those angels were visions from Valkyr. Or, should I say that I hope they're visions from Valkyr.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12  Edited By kush
    Twilight said:
    "The movie will be a disappointment for fans of the games. Others may like it.
    I wish they made the movie with the EXACT same story as the game. Seriously the first game has one of the best stories ever told in a game.
    "
    I would hate to see the same exact story. I played through it and loved it there, but I wouldn't want to watch the exact same thing. Why wouldn't you just play the game if you wanted that story again? And I am a huge fan of the series and I personally think the film may actually be good, but maybe I'm the only one.
    The_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_Dude

I don't know how I feel about this movie, I will more then likely go see it. But for the people freaking out about OMG demons WTF??/// If you have played the game a little thing called "V" might have something to do with all of that.

Mardarkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mardarkin

Despite Wahlberg's lacklustreness, I think he looks a good fit for Max.  Mila Kunis as Mona Sax works just fine for me, too, (she is secksy) and a little creative embellishments with the Jim Bravura character isn't going to ruin the film for me.

What will ruin the film:  No emphasis on Valkyr storyline, and no emphasis on Max Payne being a framed man on the run.  Those things are vital to the image of Max Payne, and their expulsion - with or without gritty noir effects, bullet time and embittered dialogue - will leave me asking, once again, "Why did they fuck with yet another perfectly fine game?"

Every time some director toys with a gaming franchise for the movies, they destroy the credible possibility that the movie could've been made properly, artistically and yet with gaming-loyal intentions.   See Doom, for example.  Fuck Hollywood.

ZimpanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By ZimpanX

It's a good idea, but unfortunately not with the current actors it isn't.

Why not Clive Owen as Max Payne and Deta von Teese/Monica Bellucci as Mona Sax? And what's up with that big black bird!?

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HandsomeDead

ZimpanX said:

"It's a good idea, but unfortunately not with the current actors it isn't.

Why not Clive Owen as Max Payne and Deta von Teese/Monica Bellucci as Mona Sax? And what's up with that big black bird!?"
    Clive could be good because he was great as Dwight in Sin City but I have no idea where you're coming from with Dita Von Teese and Monica Bellucci as Mona. I don't think Mila Kunis is a good fit for her, but those two aren't much better. Bouncier, though.
    ZimpanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By ZimpanX
    HandsomeDead said:
    ZimpanX said:
    "It's a good idea, but unfortunately not with the current actors it isn't.

Why not Clive Owen as Max Payne and Deta von Teese/Monica Bellucci as Mona Sax? And what's up with that big black bird!?"
    Clive could be good because he was great as Dwight in Sin City but I have no idea where you're coming from with Dita Von Teese and Monica Bellucci as Mona. I don't think Mila Kunis is a good fit for her, but those two aren't much better. Bouncier, though."
    Yeah maybe not much better as actresses no, but they look a bit more like Mona and would fit better as a love interest for Max. There are probably better options but could not think of any when I was writing that comment. :P
    vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

I just watched The Departed, and I have to say that Marky Mark was awesome in that. But Mila Kunis and Ludacris is still horrible choices.

Also the last trailer I saw seemed that the demon thing is real and not just some nightmare, fever-dream.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.