Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Max Payne

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Jul 25, 2001

Remedy's film-noir action game puts players in the role of grizzled cop Max Payne as he tries to clear his name of murder.

No.0007 Max Payne

hsvlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Edited By hsvlad
    1001 Videogames I must play before I die! 

No.0007 Max Payne 

No Caption Provided

When I first played Max Payne on release day back in 2001 (man, I suddenly feel really old) it was one of the first games that I bought with my own money and also one of the first games that I successfully lied about my age in order to purchase! When I got it home I was blown away by it. Not so much the story, although playing it again now I really quite like that as well. It was the attention to detail that had been paid to the guns, and the way those guns interacted with everything else. I had never seen any game capable of having a perfectly clean and intact environment as you entered and then for it to be very obvious that a gun fight had taken place afterwards. 

No Caption Provided

It was the combination of persistent bullet holds, spent casings, spent magazines and dead bodies that was able to create that wonderful sense of destruction. At that time, few games kept bullet decals in the environment for very long, even fewer kept dead bodies around either and no one kept spent casings. I know those things were all made temporary because of hardware limitations of the day but it really has a profound impact when the action calms down for a moment between encounters. As the last thug falls to the floor, clutching his newly perforated guts, you stand up from your whatever John Woo-esq dive you last performed, reload your twin Berettas and think "Man, I really fucked this place up!". 

No Caption Provided

Coming back to the game did however make me realise how much more varied the settings for this kind of shooter have become since Max Payne. You go through slums, construction sites, warehouses, sewers and other shooter tropes that weren't as tired then as they are today. The cut-scenes, shown through graphic novel panels , were a nice touch that I had almost completely forgotten about. It is funny however that I can now tell the images are all just photographs with a few photoshop filters dumped on them. The game is also much harder then I remember! Odds are that I've  just gotten soft from all the regenerating health systems that are around today but still! Get too close to a guy with a shotgun and he will easily do 80% damage in one go. The game also had an early example of a dynamic difficulty system. I remember this malfunctioning once making an early boss fight almost impossible when I was young. I had run out of ammunition and couldn't fire on the last remaining guy. After dying several times trying to rush him as he reloaded something switched and instead of him waiting for me to come to him, he came to me and I was killed just as quickly and easily.

No Caption Provided
    Max Payne is still one of my favorite games. It might not stand up as well today, the photographic textures looked amazing in 2001 but today they can't quite hide the fact that characters look like they've made out of folded paper. All that said, I still really enjoyed coming back to it and there are still plenty of mods floating around that help mix up the experience some more.  

I'm really looking forward to revisiting Max Payne 2 now but I think I'll save that for closer to the new sequels release.  
    hsvlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By hsvlad
    1001 Videogames I must play before I die! 

No.0007 Max Payne 

No Caption Provided

When I first played Max Payne on release day back in 2001 (man, I suddenly feel really old) it was one of the first games that I bought with my own money and also one of the first games that I successfully lied about my age in order to purchase! When I got it home I was blown away by it. Not so much the story, although playing it again now I really quite like that as well. It was the attention to detail that had been paid to the guns, and the way those guns interacted with everything else. I had never seen any game capable of having a perfectly clean and intact environment as you entered and then for it to be very obvious that a gun fight had taken place afterwards. 

No Caption Provided

It was the combination of persistent bullet holds, spent casings, spent magazines and dead bodies that was able to create that wonderful sense of destruction. At that time, few games kept bullet decals in the environment for very long, even fewer kept dead bodies around either and no one kept spent casings. I know those things were all made temporary because of hardware limitations of the day but it really has a profound impact when the action calms down for a moment between encounters. As the last thug falls to the floor, clutching his newly perforated guts, you stand up from your whatever John Woo-esq dive you last performed, reload your twin Berettas and think "Man, I really fucked this place up!". 

No Caption Provided

Coming back to the game did however make me realise how much more varied the settings for this kind of shooter have become since Max Payne. You go through slums, construction sites, warehouses, sewers and other shooter tropes that weren't as tired then as they are today. The cut-scenes, shown through graphic novel panels , were a nice touch that I had almost completely forgotten about. It is funny however that I can now tell the images are all just photographs with a few photoshop filters dumped on them. The game is also much harder then I remember! Odds are that I've  just gotten soft from all the regenerating health systems that are around today but still! Get too close to a guy with a shotgun and he will easily do 80% damage in one go. The game also had an early example of a dynamic difficulty system. I remember this malfunctioning once making an early boss fight almost impossible when I was young. I had run out of ammunition and couldn't fire on the last remaining guy. After dying several times trying to rush him as he reloaded something switched and instead of him waiting for me to come to him, he came to me and I was killed just as quickly and easily.

No Caption Provided
    Max Payne is still one of my favorite games. It might not stand up as well today, the photographic textures looked amazing in 2001 but today they can't quite hide the fact that characters look like they've made out of folded paper. All that said, I still really enjoyed coming back to it and there are still plenty of mods floating around that help mix up the experience some more.  

I'm really looking forward to revisiting Max Payne 2 now but I think I'll save that for closer to the new sequels release.  
    mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mylifeforAiur

I actually recently played through Max Payne on the PS2. I enjoyed myself; the writing and comic-panel vignettes were pretty damn entertaining. There's something endlessly endearing about the self-indulgent melodrama and the austere noire beats. I will say, though, that the platforming sections were an absolutely miserable experience and the bullet-time certainly doesn't hold up very well. But, hey, I'm steadfastly determined to play through Max Payne 2.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Awesome read, thanks for reminiscing about your old first MP1 impressions!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.