Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Max Payne

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Jul 25, 2001

Remedy's film-noir action game puts players in the role of grizzled cop Max Payne as he tries to clear his name of murder.

Opinions on the Max Payne movie (spoilers?)

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

#2  Edited By sarahsdad

I haven't seen the movie yet, so I'll probably stay away from this thread after this, but as a fan of the game, thank you for confirming that while it isn't 100% the same story, it at least keeps the main story.

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

I have to ask... Are the demons real or is it some nightmare thing?

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By TheGreatGuero

So... how hot is Mila Kunis in the movie?

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Pibo47
    TheGreatGuero said:
    "So... how hot is Mila Kunis in the movie?"
    hahaha, i havnt seen it yet, i would love to know this aswell.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By jakob187

The "angels" looked awesome and unique in the trailer, and really are what caught my eye to the movie.

A couple of questions:

1.  How much bullet time is in the movie?
    2.  How was Ludacris in his role?  Did he fit the part like we thought he wouldn't?
    3.  For being PG-13, could you tell that some stuff was cut (kind of the same way with Live Free or Die Hard)?
    4.  Am I going to hear a million Marilyn Manson songs?  If so...I'm going to avoid the hell out of this flick.
    gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#8  Edited By gla55jAw
    jakob187 said:
    "The "angels" looked awesome and unique in the trailer, and really are what caught my eye to the movie.
    A couple of questions:

1.  How much bullet time is in the movie?
    2.  How was Ludacris in his role?  Did he fit the part like we thought he wouldn't?
    3.  For being PG-13, could you tell that some stuff was cut (kind of the same way with Live Free or Die Hard)?
    4.  Am I going to hear a million Marilyn Manson songs?  If so...I'm going to avoid the hell out of this flick.
    "
    1. There were maybe 4 or 5 scene's with bullet time. The best were a few with a shotgun.
    2. Ludacris was alright I guess. I personally only have played about 20 minutes of Max Payne so I'm not sure how he was compared to the game counterpart, which my friend filled me in on is a old fat balding guy.
    3. There was a decent amount of cursing and violence, doesnt seem like too much was taken out.
    4. No shitty Marilyn Manson songs.

The movie was soooo awsome, they style was sick, it was one of the better movies i've seen in a while. I think im going to put in that copy of max payne i bought a few weeks ago at gamestop for $3
    observer77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By observer77

ughhh the movie was crap compared to the game, they took so much out and changed all these small and big details of the game. The lack of graphic novel style, narration, and max's witty lines was a dissapointment. I am upset i paid to see it.

I thought they would stay close to the source material after reading up on it and seeing the cast and the names but man they ruined the stories' feeling and length by elimanating huge plotlines and characters of the game. No mob wars, no vlad, no vinny, no woden, and a climax that was underwhelming compared to the game.

Bullet time was used once in the film. Ludacris as Bravura was good. About only 3 cool gun battles in the whole movie.

If you have no idea on the max payne story line @ all then you will enjoy it. But if u loved and are familiar with the game and story then its going to be medicore.

Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Relys

Well, I guess I'm not going to watch the movie then..

It's a shame. I just started playing Max Payne 2 again two days ago... Such fucking good games.

They go right up there was Super Mario World, Zelda OOT, and Grim Fandango.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I saw the film today, it was a lot better than expected. They completely nailed the environments. I think that if they had someone else play BB and just cut out some excess dialogue, then it'd be a lot better. Still a solid movie IF YOU'VE PLAYED THE GAME. If you haven't you'll just see it as a boring D-list cop movie. I loved how they put story on higher than action. That's the first time I've ever seen that in a video game movie. I'd give it an 8/10. It has flaws (named Beau Bridges and one of the plot liberties it takes that just goes too far), but is by far the best video-game to movie adaptations I've ever seen, which isn't really saying much, but still....

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By daniel_beck_90

the movie worth a ticket
    TheGreatGuero said:

too damn Hot
    daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    Everyones_A_Critic said:
    . That's the first time I've ever seen that in a video game movie.

You have not watched silent hill Movie have you ?  

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kush

I am a HUGE fan of the Max Payne series and was always looking forward to this film with an optimistic mindset...I found the film to be a disaster on so many levels. I considered walking out, but decided to finish it since I paid for the movie. I honestly enjoyed the Hitman movie over this...

Best part of the movie: A small role at the end by James McCaffrey (voice of Max Payne) as the FBI agent who's name escapes me at the moment.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

daniel_beck_90 said:
    "Everyones_A_Critic said:

"

AAAAAHH! I try to forget that poor piece of shit they called a movie every day. They had decent environments but they were almost all CGI....yuck, Silent Hill movie sucked so much....
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    daniel_beck_90 said:
    "the movie worth a ticket
    TheGreatGuero said:
    too damn Hot
    "
    Thanks for the info, dude. I love Mila Kunis.
    brocool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By brocool

Good movie.. just a bit more action!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By jakob187

I loved the Silent Hill movie.  I also loved the Doom movie.  Why?  Because I don't want my game-to-film translation to be the exact same thing that I've already played.  That would be a rip-off, as I've already played the game...so why do I need to see it in the form of a film?  =  /

Game translations are hard to do, given that you've got an 8 hour storyline that has to be cut down to 2 hours or so.  Nonetheless, I just want the movie to at least have the tone of the game, some of the characters (obviously), something that isn't a badly-written storyline, and above all, some decent performances out of people.  That's about it.  I just want an entertaining film.  I suspend my belief when I walk into a movie theatre, and if the movie can keep me in their world, then I'm sold.  It's hard for me to be too much of a critic when it comes to movies.  lol

So, I'll end up checking Max Payne out on the sole fact that Mark Wahlberg is one of the better modern-day actors out there, and I'm sure he does the character of Max Payne as much justice as he can with the materials he had at hand...and the fact that Mila Kunis is fucking hot as hell!

Box3ru13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Box3ru13

failed on almost all fronts except for the atmosphere but pales in comparison to the game.

I watched the cutscenes today and man some much stuff was changed or omitted. The scenes with the valkry were pretty awesome. But other then that so much was changed for the worse that its so hard to recommend this movie to anyone who loved the game.

By itself it was ok, but the game was such a well fit for a movie that it could of been taken straight from game to movie but they left out all of Part 2 in the game and just had a First and 3rd act and the ending was underwhelming compared to the game.

I mean I know how it would end there but it was lame compared to the awesome showdown in the game. Also they didnt come close to capturing Jack Lupino's madness. If they wouldnt of been little bitches and got an R rating then they could of done some cool shit, but instead they didnt and it suffered.

I give it a 5/10 its passable but barely.

trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

#20  Edited By trulyalive

Worst thing? The writing.
    Some guys saves Max Payne's life only to turn around and try to kill him 20 seconds later.
    WHY FUCKING BOTHER?!

trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By trulyalive
    Everyones_A_Critic said:
    "daniel_beck_90 said:

"

AAAAAHH! I try to forget that poor piece of shit they called a movie every day. They had decent environments but they were almost all CGI....yuck, Silent Hill movie sucked so much...."
    You'd be surprised how little CGI was used in that movie.
    A lot of it was clever filming.
    daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    Everyones_A_Critic said:
    "daniel_beck_90 said:

"

AAAAAHH! I try to forget that poor piece of shit they called a movie every day. They had decent environments but they were almost all CGI....yuck, Silent Hill movie sucked so much...."
    it was awesome , the story was great and the music was even better .  CGI made that movie a unique one
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By Meowayne

Uhm, yes. Regardless of what you think of the Silent Hill movie, there's no way to criticise what they did with the environments and the creatures. Because apart from the crowd of bugs, none of them were CGI. 

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By Meowayne

Damn, seeing this again makes me sad. They had everything they needed in order to make a brilliant Silent Hill movie, if only they've had a proper script! : (

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By BigBoss1911

I watched the uncut version last night.I thought it was really good and it kept the same kind of mood set in the game,but I think it could of used alot more action scenes earlier in the movie.

albedos_shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By albedos_shadow

I just watched it the other day for the first time. It's the most I've ever laughed at how terrible an action movie is in a long time. Corny dialogue, terrible acting, and kinda bad action scenes. The scene where he fires the shotgun over his head in slow motion made me have to pause the movie I was laughing so hard.

destro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By destro

I thought it sucked. The acting was trash. Dumb story

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.