Maxis Announcing New Project at GDC!

#1 Posted by skyline7284 (508 posts) -

Well holy shit, just a day after i posted a topic about what they're up to... they announce a new game. I'm stoked, but i wonder what it could be still? Source

"After EA set its Game Changers countdown website live, EA PR Erik Reynolds tweeted: “MORE INFO! EA Maxis GDC announcement, huge event w/ special guests.”
Then, on the Game Changer Facebook page: “How can we change the world together? Find out when EA hosts the Game Changers event at GDC. What would you do if you had the power to change the world?”"
#2 Posted by Morningstar (2242 posts) -

Looking forward to see what this is ^^

#3 Posted by CptBedlam (4460 posts) -

Sim City Shooter?

"How can we change the world together?"

*sigh* ... gotta love marketing speech.

#4 Posted by Jimbo (10002 posts) -

SimCity MMO... maybe?

#5 Posted by MachoFantastico (4890 posts) -

Remember when Maxis were awesome... they feel like barely a shadow of their former self nowadays. Pretty sure The Sims 3 isn't a Maxis produced game, so wondered what they were doing. Hope it's something great, but I suspect it'll be a Sim City casual Facebook game or something. When Will Wright left that whole studio seemed lost.

#6 Posted by mosespippy (4466 posts) -

I hate that GDC is becoming more and more about marketing and PR spin. It should just be for three things. For devs to discuss how to be better at their job. For out of work devs to network so they can find work. And for independent studios to pitch their games to publishers.

#7 Edited by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

Sim City 5, where it is not only a city management sim, but also a municipal politics sim. Now let's see you try to zone industrial land beside residential neighbourhoods without the approval of city council!

#8 Posted by skyline7284 (508 posts) -

@TrueEnglishGent said:

Remember when Maxis were awesome... they feel like barely a shadow of their former self nowadays. Pretty sure The Sims 3 isn't a Maxis produced game, so wondered what they were doing. Hope it's something great, but I suspect it'll be a Sim City casual Facebook game or something. When Will Wright left that whole studio seemed lost.

They're hiring for a graphics engineer for a "triple - A simulation style game" Source

A few weeks ago, a Maxis job advert calling for an experienced graphics engineer hinted at what the studio has in the pipeline. The post stated the successful candidate will work "with a highly talented and experienced team on an upcoming triple-A simulation style game".
#9 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (743 posts) -

Holy shit if this is a new simulation game from Maxis I will be so god damned fucking ecstatic.

#10 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

Don't be a facebook game. Don't be a facebook game. Don't be a facebook game.

#11 Edited by Adamsons (873 posts) -

As long as it isn't anything to do with Spore.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAh.

#12 Posted by Vexxan (4614 posts) -

Please be something that is not Sims related.

#13 Posted by JCTango (1366 posts) -

@skyline7284 said:

Then, on the Game Changer Facebook page: “How can we change the world together? Find out when EA hosts the Game Changers event at GDC. What would you do if you had the power to change the world?”"

That sounds like it might be in the same spirit of Tropico, but on a grander scale... could be fun.

#14 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

I didn't even know Maxis still existed. I thought they had just been absorbed by EA.

#15 Posted by MattyFTM (14433 posts) -

You mean "EA announcing new project at GDC which they're going to sell under the Maxis banner in order to capitalize on fan's nostalgia". Maxis doesn't exist anymore. Not properly, anyway. It's not the Maxis we used to know and love. This "project" might be good. It might be a fantastic traditional strategy game. But don't let the name "Maxis" fool you into thinking it's the same people who made the Maxis games of old.

#16 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2341 posts) -

@skyline7284 said:

Well holy shit, just a day after i posted a topic about what they're up to... they announce a new game. I'm stoked, but i wonder what it could be still? Source

"After EA set its Game Changers countdown website live, EA PR Erik Reynolds tweeted: “MORE INFO! EA Maxis GDC announcement, huge event w/ special guests.”

Thats exactly what I was thinking

#17 Posted by Hot_Karl (3309 posts) -

They should bring back Bullfrog & make another Theme Hospital.

#18 Edited by I_smell (3925 posts) -

@mosespippy said:

I hate that GDC is becoming more and more about marketing and PR spin. It should just be for three things. For devs to discuss how to be better at their job. For out of work devs to network so they can find work. And for independent studios to pitch their games to publishers.

I think on a gaming news site like this it might seem like that, but I can name a whole BUNCH of panels and lectures n sessions that are super interesting at GDC this year.

I don't think it's much of a problem. Like-- A bet there isn't even a thread for this on the Gamasutra forum, yknow?

#19 Posted by Mikemcn (7023 posts) -

Sim City 5 Sim City 5 Sim City 5 Sim City 5 for all that's good in the world, LET IT BE SIM CITY 5!

or maybe a new Sim Ant, or Sim Copter, or sim tower, or sim town.

What about a Sim Safari 2? Really i just want it to have Sim in the title.

#20 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

@Mikemcn: I loved Sim Tower, but I don't think it was a Maxis developed game.

#21 Posted by Mikemcn (7023 posts) -

@FrankCanada97 said:

@Mikemcn: I loved Sim Tower, but I don't think it was a Maxis developed game.

it was published by them, so they have the rights at least.

#22 Posted by Dalai (7074 posts) -

I'm gonna have to buy a pair of pants for the announcement just in case I soil myself in excitement.

#23 Posted by SamFo (1562 posts) -

sims 4

#24 Posted by Subjugation (4741 posts) -

Sim ... Nation? Either it has some interactive online aspect to satisfy their "change the world together" line, or the game involves the entire world. Just please don't be some Facebook garbage.

#25 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (743 posts) -

Got it. They're reviving SimsVille.

#26 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

It's going to be The Sims 4, or a console based Sims game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.