Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Maxis Software

Company »

Maxis is a Software developer best known for the creation of the SimCity and Sims franchises. The company became a part of Electronic Arts in 1997.

Seems like Maxis is shutting down

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 26

#1  Edited By isomeri

This was tweeted out by longtime Maxis designer Guillaume Pierre.

It seems like this will not effect the Sims franchise, but I guess we'll have to say farewell to SimCity for a while at least.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

It's so incredibly shitty of EA to pull this during GDC.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Rafaelfc

Goddamn EA!

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By hassun

Lots of history behind this one. They lasted a long time.

Can't be too mad at EA since they pretty much saved Maxis from bankruptcy in the first place and Maxis' biggest successes happened while being part of EA.

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Well, shit.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's what happens when you make shit games

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Who is going to make all 47 expansion packs for The Sims 4 now?

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

Maxis has been dead since Will Wright left. It's just getting its ventilator shut off and feeding tube removed.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's sad, but this is similar to the LucasArts situation where it mostly feels like they're being put out of their misery. The fact is, Maxis died when Will Wright left.

Clearly there were still a lot of talented people working there though, I hope everyone lands on their feet.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I really loved Maxis games, the original Sims was a huge time sink, as well as Sim City 2000. But, unfortunately, the recent Sim City game and Sims 4 were not great games. I have no idea if the faults in those games, including the disastrous online requirement for Sim City, were pushed on Maxis by EA or not, but still those games were a shadow of what they could and should have been.

Not much news about this at the moment, but I assume we will be hearing more about this soon. It does stink when a studio with a storied history closes. At the same time, their output has been subpar as of late, so a closure isn't entirely a surprise. It is too bad though.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Turns out when you put out 3 bad games in a row there's repurcussions.

DeadPan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@conmulligan said:

Nailed it. This is super gross.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maxis isn't the Maxis we know and love from the days o' yore (not that it matters, it always sucks when a studio is shut down), but man... "Maxis is shutting down" is a sad set of words either way.

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Naoiko

Super sad to see anyone loose their job. Wish them luck in the future!

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@conmulligan said:

Nailed it. This is super gross.

How is it shitty or gross?

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sad. Maxis was a premium developer for a good period of time.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By conmulligan

@zombie2011 said:

How is it shitty or gross?

Laying people off during industry events is a transparent attempt to avoid bad press. It's doubly shitty to do so during GDC, where networking is part of the appeal; if Maxis' employees had known ahead of time that they were going to be out of work, they could have made plans to attend and look for another position.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun said:

Can't be too mad at EA since they pretty much saved Maxis from bankruptcy in the first place and Maxis' biggest successes happened while being part of EA.

And they are also very likely the reason they're shutting down. "Ruining SimCity in a dozen different ways and filling it with unnecessary online components" comes to mind. Same can be said for the newest Sims, adding their total lack of promotion for it.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#21 FinalDasa  Moderator

It's not all of Maxis. Just Maxis Emeryville. Two other Maxis studios still exist and are creating video games.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

@hassun said:

And they are also very likely the reason they're shutting down. "Ruining SimCity in a dozen different ways and filling it with unnecessary online components" comes to mind. Same can be said for the newest Sims, adding their total lack of promotion for it.

While EA was probably pushing the game in a certain direction, it was still the onus of the developer to make the experience, whatever it may be, a fun one. You really can't blame everything on EA as if the people actually making those games weren't present.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Man, it had been a long while since they put out a great game, but its still really sad. I used to love various versions of SimCity, and I remember watching my dad getting way into SimAnt back in the day.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Fuuuuck. Talk about a bummer. I don't really like seeing any developer close up shop, but I feel like it stings just a tad bit more when it's one that's been around for ages even if it's just been in name only. Pour another one out for a fallen OG of the industry, son!

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I guess? At least maybe they can get out there and mix it up.

@humanity said:

@development said:

@hassun said:

While EA was probably pushing the game in a certain direction, it was still the onus of the developer to make the experience, whatever it may be, a fun one. You really can't blame everything on EA as if the people actually making those games weren't present.

Yeah I think it's silly to try to place blame in that situation without something more to go off of.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

I wonder how much this had to do with the last Sim City. Jeff's amazing rant during the 2013 GotY podcasts about the game sums up how disappointing it was.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I hate to be that guy, but what is Maxis anymore but just a name pumping out by-committee games designed to appeal to the largest common denominator and make money off dumb micro-transactions for digital couches? The Sims was awesome. Sims 2? Pretty okay. Hell, I even liked Spore. That game had some balls and tried for some amazing things. Everything after that is just a grab for cash.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By isomeri

@finaldasa: You're right, but I was under the impression that those "other Maxis studios" were mainly mobile and expansion pack workhouses. Kotaku have put up a statement from EA however:

Today we are consolidating Maxis IP development to our studios in Redwood Shores, Salt Lake City, Helsinki and Melbourne locations as we close our Emeryville location. Maxis continues to support and develop new experiences for current Sims and SimCity players, while expanding our franchises to new platforms and developing new cross-platform IP.

These changes do not impact our plans for The Sims. Players will continue to see rich new experiences in The Sims 4, with our first expansion pack coming soon along with a full slate of additional updates and content in the pipeline.

All employees impacted by the changes today will be given opportunities to explore other positions within the Maxis studios and throughout EA. For those that are leaving the company, we are working to ensure the best possible transition with separation packages and career assistance.

Heck, I had no idea that EA had a presence here in Helsinki.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Man......

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By development

@artisanbreads said:
    @humanity said:

@development said:

@hassun said:

Yeah I think it's silly to try to place blame in that situation without something more to go off of.

I think it's pretty easy to look at a lot of EA's published games, taking into account all the excessive online components, microtransactions, and the trend of game studios they purchase suddenly steering their games away from what people originally liked about them, and attribute those things to EA's influence. Yes, Maxis always had ridiculous amounts of expansions, but they never required you to be online all the time or to have friends to connect to in order to actually have success in a game (SimCity).

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 FinalDasa  Moderator

@isomeri: Redwood Shores is the Sims developer, the rest they mention (I think) are just EA satellite studios and I'm not sure what they make.

I'd rather have seen a refocus on the product rather than an entire studio closure, but the Maxis I know I loved when I was a kid is long gone. Hopefully those great games inspire other developers to make something similar down the line.

valeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man......

Except he probably didn't. It was Maxis Emeryville only.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always find it weird when you hear about these type of stories during a busy news week like GDC & Pax East. Most likely then not it's to drown the story in all the other big announcements coming out this week from those events.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34  Edited By veektarius

@deadpan: Riiiight. The developers of one of their most successful games of last year. Some day, I'm sure Bioware is headed for the same fate, but I think they averted the appearance they were headed there with DA:I.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#35  Edited By monkeyking1969

I feel bad for people losing their jobs. That is just a given, it is rough when people lose their jobs. But for me it not a "oh, what will be lost? Oh what a tragedy for this company to fold" issue. Maxis made it bed when THEY, not EA, ...but they did it.

If SImCity wasn't such a bullocks festival if lies, deceit and more lies the closing of the studio would be at a different level. But Maxis lied:

- "The game HAS to be online or it just won't work...it is baked in".....well, nope, we did in fact lie about that.

- "The cities can't be bigger, it just the way we designed it"....Well, they can be a bit bigger for sure.

- "Oh it hard to change this game because our system is actually simulating people going to work, cars driving virtual residents, and delivery trucks and sanitations trucks doing their simulated rounds"....Well, okay you caught us lying again, some hackers changed the values on those things and PROVED that was a lie because the game was fudging results to look like a simulation without crunching any numbers.

I mean come on!!! That wasn't EA marching out those lies, that was the executives and community managers at Maxis itself. Does that mean a Jr. Art designer deserve to lose his jobs? NOPE! Nobody deserves anything except a slap on the wrist and a 'come on think before you speak and don't lie to us please'. But in the long run a business that was to the point of lying to customers about 'easily discovered processes in games' was damaged on the inside....once it is common and logical to lie to your customers you might as well pack-it-in. For whatever reason Maxis closes there was something wrong in the hierarchy of decision makers at that company. It would have been better to fix it, because it would have been great for the lower level people (who didn't decided to lie) to keep their jobs. Nevertheless, a damaged institution is damaged...it was fix it or fold it. They folded it for whatever reason, and it is done and that is sad.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whatever their model for selling kind of sucked. I might have enjoyed Sims game now and then but all those expansions make it un-purchasable without a haunting feeling that I am missing something good. Well anyway its best if EA just sells their profitable parts to independent investors and lets go of its umbrella altogether, god knows there is no synergy in what they are doing. I guess video games are too young for competition laws to come in and bust some ass.

jaqen_hghar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It always sucks when people lose their jobs.

Kinda weird how this happens mere days before Cities: Skylines is released, a game more or less made as an answer to the complaints SimCity got. They even took a stab at SimCity when announcing the price on twitter.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.