I'm pretty excited to see this on Random PC Game

#1 Posted by Rayeth (1045 posts) -

The Mechwarrior series is one that I have fond memories for from my childhood. Especially Mechwarrior 2 (though that game doesn't really hold up well these days, double especially if you don't have a joystick). I wonder if Vinny will bring in/use a joystick for this.

I thought at the time that Mech4 did some great things, I believe this wasn't the first one with mouse controls (Mech 3 had them), but I recall thinking they were actually good here. Anyhow I think this should be a hoot watching them try and remember how to play this game and then maybe realizing that it isn't as deep as they maybe remember. But like any other Mech game, the FIRE ALL THE THINGS strategy should work out well.

#2 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

MW has always stood for MechWarrior in my mind.

#3 Posted by Zidd (1846 posts) -

Does the freeware version they released a while back run on Windows 7 x64? I feel the need to go stomping around in a giant robot.

#4 Posted by falling_fast (2225 posts) -

I've never played any of these games but I have heard things for sure. excited.

#5 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -

I've been more of a MechCommander sort of guy but MechWarrior is always good. Also, firing off a missile barrage and running like a bitch seemed to be my working strategy.

#6 Posted by Lazyaza (2184 posts) -

I kinda wish they would do something with the original Mech Commander instead as I always preferred those games over Mech Warrior proper but eh 4 was pretty awesome.

#7 Posted by jjnen (661 posts) -

I hope they'll show at least a glimpse of Vinny's rig in the Random Ass PC. I'm probably more intrested in how it works with the game than the game itself.

#8 Posted by mmzOne (279 posts) -
@Zidd said:

Does the freeware version they released a while back run on Windows 7 x64? I feel the need to go stomping around in a giant robot.

It works just fine. Well, at least I never had any issues with it.
#9 Posted by MikkaQ (10294 posts) -

I remember an arcade in Toronto, the playdium that had a massive, I think custom, Mechwarrior 4-based arcade setup designed for huge multiplayer matches. It was totally rad at the time.

#10 Posted by Tennmuerti (8115 posts) -

Wait they are going to be doing MechWarrior 4 for random PC game? awesome!

But is it going to be Vengence or Mercenaries?

Also I hope they use Vinny's flightstick. That's the only real way to play MechWarrior, with a stick.

#11 Posted by Slax (923 posts) -

Is it posted somewhere? Or are we still waiting on that.

#12 Posted by antoniothedeadly (30 posts) -

@Slax: Yeah, I'm still waiting on it too. Missed it live. Usually it is archived around 11-12 EST at night. Sometimes it could take a whole day too.

#13 Posted by mfpantst (2574 posts) -
@mmzOne said:
@Zidd said:

It works just fine. Well, at least I never had any issues with it.
What about the widescreen stuff?  The little bit I played with this game the UI didn't scale right.
#14 Posted by Marz (5653 posts) -
#15 Posted by mmzOne (279 posts) -
@mfpantst said:
What about the widescreen stuff?  The little bit I played with this game the UI didn't scale right.
That's pretty much the only "problem" that I have. GFX engine seems to be locked at 4:5 aspect ratio, but to be honest that's never really bothered me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.