Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

MechWarrior Online

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

The classic mech combat series is being reborn as an online free-to-play game by Piranha Games.

Closed Beta: NDA's Been Lifted

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Giantstalker

Got any questions about MWO? Is anyone else on the site playing the game and want to talk about it here?

I might try to get some screens posted to this thread, I think it's a pretty good looking game. If you have requests I might be able to dig around and find what you're looking for

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By BraveToaster

Is it fun?

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Dark

Does it have an in cockpit view? Does it use a HOTAS like I hope it does, hows the grind, HOW IS THE GRIND?

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Funkydupe

Its fun. People aren't exactly planning or anything now so matches are usually one-sided. I've been in one fight that lasted a while and that was the best experience so far. Liking the pew-pew of machine guns and the fat zoink zoink boink noises of lasers.

If you're bad player like me you'll earn around 60-70k credits per match in a trial mech. Buying your own (which you can swap out a few components to your liking) among the currently available mechs: Cheapest is 1.8 million. Most expensive: 11.1 million. So yes, if you're not pumping real money into it there is a grind of course, but its not bad as is. Everything can change of course.

Yes there are cockpits but the feel and variation of them is limited, they all look pretty much the same to me. I haven't been like 'wow this is unique' in any of the mechs. I like how mechs look in general in this game. Guessing there'll be more of both weapons and mechs. At the moment there aren't many to choose from.

SamStrife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SamStrife

I'm in the beta and I don't like it at all. The primary reason for that I feel is that the joystick support is pretty fucking garbage at the moment still.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By shiftymagician

I am in the beta and I like it a ton. I haven't been online for a little while due to uni and other games combined but I'll get back on it as I loved the methodical pacing of it all. At least now we can take pictures and storm the PC screenshot thread now hehe.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I've been in the beta for a while.

I haven't actually played the beta yet.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Marz

I played alot of the closed beta, it was fun but it was also very barebones. I liked dual Gauss Rifle setup on my Catapult... but i think they changed so you couldn't put low weight engines in heavy chassis anymore... it's been a month since i logged in... i should probably pop in again sometime.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By Snail

Jesus Christ, didn't I see a trailer for this game in like, 2007? I was incredibly stoked, but haven't thought about it in years.

So it's a free-to-play online game now is it? That's a bit crazy because those weren't even a thing at the time.

jonnyboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By jonnyboy

Does it support Track I.R? Watching Vinny, Dave and Drew look for the 'ON' button is a highlight of mine.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Bollard

Has it? Sweet! The game's pretty awesome guys.

@Funkydupe said:

Its fun. People aren't exactly planning or anything now so matches are usually one-sided. I've been in one fight that lasted a while and that was the best experience so far. Liking the pew-pew of machine guns and the fat zoink zoink boink noises of lasers.

If you're bad player like me you'll earn around 60-70k credits per match in a trial mech. Buying your own (which you can swap out a few components to your liking) among the currently available mechs: Cheapest is 1.8 million. Most expensive: 11.1 million. So yes, if you're not pumping real money into it there is a grind of course, but its not bad as is. Everything can change of course.

Yes there are cockpits but the feel and variation of them is limited, they all look pretty much the same to me. I haven't been like 'wow this is unique' in any of the mechs. I like how mechs look in general in this game. Guessing there'll be more of both weapons and mechs. At the moment there aren't many to choose from.

Have you changed the config file at all? Bump the FOV up to 80 and you can see so much more, you feel like a pilot not a camera strapped on the mech. They're pretty detailed too.

InsidiousBliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By InsidiousBliss

What are the matches/missions like?

FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FirePrince

I played it for a bit, then decided I'll go back in a year or two. Severely lacking content and optimization.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Funkydupe

@Snail said:

Jesus Christ, didn't I see a trailer for this game in like, 2007? I was incredibly stoked, but haven't thought about it in years.

So it's a free-to-play online game now is it? That's a bit crazy because those weren't even a thing at the time.

Yep. Free to play model. There are some guys in Founder's Mechs too, for paying up front for the game. I don't know whether they're better versions of what's commonly available or if they just look different.

You're Free 2 Play, or Free 2 Pay, whatever floats your mech I guess.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Funkydupe

@Chavtheworld: Na, I have't messed around in configs. I usually don't. If I get what you're saying, PlanetSide 2 has a similar issue. Your view inside the cockpit seems a little zoomed in at all times, which makes less of the cockpit visible and could make navigation in tight spaces a bit awkward.

Masakari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Masakari

Been in the Beta for awhile, and used to be a huge Battletech fan.

Haven't liked MWO. I just don't have fun playing it, there's no tactics going on atm, the maps are so-so, and the game modes feel completely outdated. Plus, I still don't like F2P models. Not their fault, really, the budget they would need to compete in 2012 with something that isn't outdated just isn't there.

I used to run a MW mod for Battlefield 2 way back when, and still feel that's the best course of action and evolution for MW games - Battlefield style gameplay, control points, go on foot, control vehicles, pilot Mechs, etc. Full spectrum war, basically.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By shiftymagician

@Funkydupe said:

@Snail said:

Yep. Free to play model. There are some guys in Founder's Mechs too, for paying up front for the game. I don't know whether they're better versions of what's commonly available or if they just look different.

You're Free 2 Play, or Free 2 Pay, whatever floats your mech I guess.

Don't worry the founder's mechs aren't better gameplay-wise at least (well in my opinion anyway). It's just a unique variant of the existing mechs with a different skin. Sure it will let us equip certain things differently but I haven't seen it make the game imbalanced in any truly significant way. The only benefit is some extra percentage of in-game cash (cool bonus for the long-term but hey some of us crazies did pay up to $120US on founders packages).

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Funkydupe

@InsidiousBliss: You pick your mech. Queue up (usually finds game immediately). Game loads. Doesn't take long. Two teams. 8v8. You can win by destroying your enemy's HQ or all of their mechs. There's a time limit on the match as well. They're over pretty quick, but like I said, the more "fun" fights is of course the ones that last a bit because players aren't overly reckless. There's usually a good mix between Light, Medium and Heavy mechs. Small mechs can confuse the bigger ones pretty well close up, but not without risk. Some guys just like to hang back with Long Range Missiles, locking onto targets that the forward people spot for them.

There are no 'insane' or 'lol' moments. It is very controlled in a way, the mechs can only do what they do, and there are rarely outside factors that can mix it up. The only thing I've seen in that regard is that someone has fallen down a cliff because he was moving away with his torso turned not seeing where he was headed, and took fall damage as a result of the drop.

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Renahzor

@InsidiousBliss: Currently there's only one type, 8v8 deathmatch/base capture hybrid with a 15 min timer. It doesn't suit the game at all really, but the combat is very solid and fun.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Tennmuerti

I've dabbled in it some. Not too much but enough.

So far impressions of the closed beta as it currently stands:

Pros:

• faithful recreation of mech mechanics and layouts, this is a full on hardcore mech sim, with heat, ammo, weight, etc...
    • goes even further than some previous MW games in terms of how nerdy and configurable the mechs are, as someone who loves MW universe this is like haven
    • looks decent by modern standards
    • proper "mech" feel, including shaking cockpit, slower deliberate and more tactical fights, this isn't some fast paced shooter
    • developers understand that free to play model should not turn into a pay to win
    • all gear is available to buy for everyone and is balanced naturally by adhering to the mechwarrior loadout rules
    • combat roles, certain new mechanics, the way you get xp/cash, and rebalancing of weight classes and dmg models make all mech weight categories tactically sound, (at least way more so then previous games), so it's not just everyone rolling around in assault mechs at all times. I am actually fairly impressed how they made light mechs useful and surfaced some of the shortcoming of bigger slower mechs

Cons:

• only multiplayer, so no singleplayer campaign or anything
    • the front end, ie "Meachlab" is terrible, simply terrible, windowed only, cluttered as fuck, offers no help to newbies, lacks explanations or tooltips for it's mass of systems of currency/xp/loadouts, UI is ineffective and clunky with no sense of spacing or ease of use, the windowed mode and lack of sound make it feel completely non immersive and cheap, it smells of f2p through and through. If this game is to succeed and not get shit on by the gaming press before release the Mechlab needs a complete do over. I can live with it, but others won't be as forgiving.
    • limited aspect of the multiplayer matches (by number of maps, modes and mechs per match) might make non devoted people bored quickly. needs more content
    • still half assed Joystick support
    • weapon groups should be configurable in the Mechlab not just during the match, currently it's the later which is ass backwards

@BraveToaster said:

Is it fun?

Highly subjective, but I say yes. Especially if you put it up on a large TV and hook up a joystick.

@Dark: Cockpit yes. HOTAS not sure but probably not.

@Funkydupe: Founders mechs have modified gear layouts but they still fully adhere to equipment rules. Their only actual "advantage" is not a combat one, you simply earn xp/$ a bit faster when piloting them.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Itwastuesday

This game is heck of cool but the F2P model involves lots (_LOTS_) of grinding and that just does not jive with how I want to play a MechWarrior game.

Also, the best way to grind your way to a cool mech is to play a TRIAL MECH.

Trial mechs almost ruin the game. They are configured to be purposefully useless and are not fun to pilot. You will be forced into them for hours.

Also, I'd just like to say that I'm grinding to buy components for my mech and I PAID to get into the game. The currency you buy can only be used to buy mechs, not their parts. Most mech are expensive enough, but many engines are more expensive than some entire mechs. If you are looking for the same experience old MW brought, the F2P model obfuscates a really great, mechanically sound robot shooter and faithful MW game. To buy each mech in this game would be far more expensive than buying a MW title. There aren't NEARLY as many options as previous MW titles gave you to customize your mechs (including number of mechs/weapons), and to get to most of this content, which is kind of bare compared to an older MW game, you will have to pay and grind a lot.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Funkydupe

A more open world style game like PlaneSide 2 would be perfect with some mechs in it to spice it up. Conventional Tanks are boring.

I guess my perfect experience would have to be something that involved huge mechs, but allowed for ground troops (in fps) as well, if only to experience the scale of the huge mechs stomping around. Ground troops could be essential for capturing facilities for example.

I'd like more persistence over the round-based system.

Make that game please.

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Renahzor

@Tennmuerti: on your cons side, this is still closed beta. They've already addressed the window mode and mechlab tooltips as being something they're working on putting in before launch. Also the current single mode 8v8is a placeholder, they have several new modes and maps planned to be put into the beta in the coming months, its just deathmatch makes mech v mech balancing a bit easier.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Funkydupe

@Renahzor: True. Fair point. The game isn't done yet.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Renahzor:

I'm mostly noting pros and cons as things currently stand.

This is good to know about the planned UI changes i have not kept up with their forums. Hopefully they will deliver on this, as the beta has been going on for a long long time now with no change to the mechlab even with people pointing out it's negatives. And again hopefully they actually redesign it properly and not just make it fullscreen and add tooltips.

That map and mode content likewise needs to be up to par to actually keep people interested.

I truly wish this game to succeed with all my heart, the future of MW franchise kind of depends on it a lot, i'd rather not wait another decade for a new attempt if this fails. On the other hand if it suceeds it will open up the MW franchice for more serious funding and hopefully a full game.

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Renahzor

@Funkydupe: yeah, also though no one knows the actual plans, the simple round based format wont be the only way to play. They've hinted and outright commented that a "clan wars" type system will be coming, with players and units choosing houses to fight for or being mercenaries and fighting for control of planetary systems(so far they have only hinted that 12v12 is likely coming for expanded battles). who knows how that will all work out as its all just promises at this point, but it will be fun to see what they do with it.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Tennmuerti

@Funkydupe:

In my dreams there are proto mechs, battle armor, quads and melee combat.

I have awesome dreams!

Avatar image for warlockengineermoredakka
    WarlockEngineerMoreDakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

It's not bad- the main draw is unquestionably the feel and graphics, as both are really good. The ways the various weapons impact against you feels really strong- though moreso when you yourself are getting hit, it's not quite as impressive from the outside looking at someone else getting hit.

Movement feels pretty decent as well- though I will agree with someone earlier, the movement and cockpits feel a little too similar from mech to mech. The one exception being the Lights- their movement feels satisfyingly different from the mediums, heavies, and assaults.

There is a bit of a learning curve though- especially if you haven't played much Mechwarrior in the past. If you're new- expect to get stomped pretty regularly at the start and become disheartened by not being able to get more than 10-20 damage in per match. :(

I myself still REALLY suck at it- as there's only one mech in the entire beta that I've ever landed kills or significant damage with: a Hunchback armed to the teeth with 4-5 small lasers and 2 SRMs. Every other mech in the beta- regardless of armament and regardless of my own tactics, I'm completely useless with.

That said- especially given how well I've been able to do with a medium, I can confirm that MWO has gone a long way to making each class viable alongside assaults. I can't put my finger on how they pulled it off though- maybe its because of how MWO handles heat? Cause MWO's heat feels more unforgiving than any of the previous Mechwarriors I've played. (A little bit of 3 and 4, never played 2)

Though perhaps that has more to do with one of my main gripes with MWO: poor implementation of Weapon Groups- I had no idea they could be edited in-game until someone mentioned that earlier in this thread. So it extends to the issue of MWO having subpar menus overall. >:(

Oh yes- and then there's the fact that the game hard-locks my entire computer if I try to quit out of it from fullscreen. So I have to play it windowed. :(

As for the F2P grind- its there, but I've seen way WAY worse. It's not so bad if you're mostly into lights and mediums- but I can see it getting annoying if you try to really invest in some heavies and assaults. Cause then you basically have to play as the woefully-designed trial mechs in order to avoid repair costs. :\

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By 2HeadedNinja

I havent played in a while so this might have changed, but at the time the biggest problem was that there is no restriction on what mechs a team uses ... so you might end up with one team of heavy mechs and one team with light/medium mechs ... especially since you cant see what others are using in advance ... that made for some terribly uneven matches. But when it works its really fun.

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Renahzor

@2HeadedNinja: current matchmaking drops you in 1:1. if your team has 4 meds, 1 assault, 1 heavy and 2 lights, the other team will be the same comp though not the same mechs, just weight classes.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#31  Edited By Bollard

@Funkydupe said:

@Chavtheworld: Na, I have't messed around in configs. I usually don't. If I get what you're saying, PlanetSide 2 has a similar issue. Your view inside the cockpit seems a little zoomed in at all times, which makes less of the cockpit visible and could make navigation in tight spaces a bit awkward.

Haven't noticed inside PS2 as much to be honest. In MWO it doesn't necessarily make the game easier to play, but rather way more immersive and you can see a lot more detail in the cockpits.

deathbyyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By deathbyyeti

@FirePrince said:

I played it for a bit, then decided I'll go back in a year or two. Severely lacking content and optimization.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#33  Edited By Giantstalker
    Awesome = Not So Awesome
    Awesome = Not So Awesome

Wow, this thread moved along a lot while I was at work.

I'll just keep it brief. I really enjoy the basic game Piranha has put together, and I've played MechWarrior for a while (since 2). What they've nailed is the feel of the whole thing, it's really good. What's lacking is weapon balance. Gauss Rifles are at the extreme end, basically being the God gun right now, while ERPPC's (or machine guns) are at the other. I trust this will get tuned before "release," though. Properly balanced weapons (competitive choices for every slot) would fix a lot of straight-up bad 'mech layouts - especially those that rely on projectile weapons.

However, I'd like to reiterate, what they have so far is pretty solid at a fundamental level. it just needs heavy tweaking in order to encourage variety (why take a Raven or Commando, when basically a Jenner is better in every way). Another example? The cockpit on the Awesome is so easy to shoot, this 70 ton 'mech goes down in seconds if it's facing most enemies. Stuff like that, you know.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Funkydupe

@Giantstalker: Do you happen to know whether they're wiping/resetting servers on a regular basis? I'm wondering whether I should bother to grind back up for one of the owned mech types or not.

.. and yes, I love shooting with machine guns etc, but it doesn't do any damage at all.

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Renahzor

@Funkydupe: They've been resetting pretty commonly throughout closed beta, I hear there may be at least 1 more reset, but I have no confirmation of that.

tovardy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By tovardy

When I first got in the beta there was only 1 map in the game and about 100 people on at peak, It has definitely come a long way. I think once the faction warfare stuff comes online and we have merc corps rolling around along with the different game modes it will be a lot more fun. At the moment random PUGs are about as effective as they are in World of Tanks, you'll be stomped by any moderately organized opposition and the rest of the time you've got a 50/50 shot of winning.

When I got in I was very afraid this was going to turn into World of Assault Mechs but they've done a good job at giving each class a fighting chance. The first time I saw a Jenner running a pulse laser setup absolutely destroy an Atlas 1v1 I got a warm, fuzzy feeling. Even odd mech setups feel competitive if you use them as intended.

And yeah, the Awesome is in a sad state right now, getting downed by a couple salvos of small lasers dumped right into the cockpit is not much fun.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By Marz

This game is now in Open Beta so whoever wanted to get down with some Mech's you can go play it now.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By jaycrockett

Played last night and liked it. Very, very bare bones though. I think it's the most stripped down piece of software that was asking for money I've ever seen.

I'm going to grind my way to my own mech tonight and see where that gets me.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By jaycrockett

Update: Still playing a couple times a week, with friends on teamspeak. Still really enjoying it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.