Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

MechWarrior Online

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Sep 17, 2013

The classic mech combat series is being reborn as an online free-to-play game by Piranha Games.

They disappointed me sooner than I'd expected

cozmicaztaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Edited By cozmicaztaway

So when i was 11, and up until maybe 17, there was one game I played on my PC (and it was MY pc, it stood on my desk in my room, and old hand-me-down with Win95) far more than any other. Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries. The cartoon introduced me to Battletech, true, but the game rocketed me into it. So I spent way too many years thinking about fusion engines, advanced physics, computers and giant walking tanks blowing the crap out of each other, and I still love the idea enormously.

And in July 2009, the announced Mechwarrior and messageboards lit up with "oh cool" and "well, we won't see this 'til 2014". But hey, that trailer was freaking awesome, right? Plus it had a Warhammer, and that's always a bonus. it also had somehtingcalled an "Atlas prime" (which is an Atlas 7D, because prime designations weren't around in 3015 in the inner Sphere. Yes, I am one of those fans). And then nobody heard anything, supposedly Harmony Gold was an issue despite not having a leg to stand on and I forgot about it and went back to trying to learn game development.

Then stuff hits me over Twitter, and well, they're revealing stuff about this, it's coming, and soon! New info! "What's with all the 3048 stuff?" would be the first question. The second was "oh well, they'll ruin it and i'll get a dumbed down Mechwarrior" but at least, unlike Syndicate or XCOM, this would still be in the same general genre, right? Sure, they'd muck up the controls, but hey, it's an UE3 game. I know my way around that engine. I can mod this thing to play like I want it to play (throttle meter etc) and that'd be great.

I've been really, really psyched about this for days.

Then they drop the bomb. New title: Mechwarrior Online. One does not even need to check to realize it's a F2P multiplayer focused thing. Which might be nice and all, but I always had the most fun just going Instant Action and blowing shit up in MW2:Mercs, and if not, then hey, that story about Deshler being invaded by the Kuritans seemed pretty cool, right? But nope, instead we get a Free to Play game, meaning I probably won't pay anything and therefore not get any of the fun toys, and therefore, in general, blech. Tweeted by Russ Bullock, President of piranha Games: "Hope all you #MechWarrior fans are as happy as I am, your going to love it. Just landed in Montreal, more tweets soon" Aside from the fact it should be "you're" not "your"... no, Mr. Bullock, I am not happy. I am in fact rather disappointed. And I was hoping you would at least give me until release until that happened.

cozmicaztaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By cozmicaztaway

So when i was 11, and up until maybe 17, there was one game I played on my PC (and it was MY pc, it stood on my desk in my room, and old hand-me-down with Win95) far more than any other. Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries. The cartoon introduced me to Battletech, true, but the game rocketed me into it. So I spent way too many years thinking about fusion engines, advanced physics, computers and giant walking tanks blowing the crap out of each other, and I still love the idea enormously.

And in July 2009, the announced Mechwarrior and messageboards lit up with "oh cool" and "well, we won't see this 'til 2014". But hey, that trailer was freaking awesome, right? Plus it had a Warhammer, and that's always a bonus. it also had somehtingcalled an "Atlas prime" (which is an Atlas 7D, because prime designations weren't around in 3015 in the inner Sphere. Yes, I am one of those fans). And then nobody heard anything, supposedly Harmony Gold was an issue despite not having a leg to stand on and I forgot about it and went back to trying to learn game development.

Then stuff hits me over Twitter, and well, they're revealing stuff about this, it's coming, and soon! New info! "What's with all the 3048 stuff?" would be the first question. The second was "oh well, they'll ruin it and i'll get a dumbed down Mechwarrior" but at least, unlike Syndicate or XCOM, this would still be in the same general genre, right? Sure, they'd muck up the controls, but hey, it's an UE3 game. I know my way around that engine. I can mod this thing to play like I want it to play (throttle meter etc) and that'd be great.

I've been really, really psyched about this for days.

Then they drop the bomb. New title: Mechwarrior Online. One does not even need to check to realize it's a F2P multiplayer focused thing. Which might be nice and all, but I always had the most fun just going Instant Action and blowing shit up in MW2:Mercs, and if not, then hey, that story about Deshler being invaded by the Kuritans seemed pretty cool, right? But nope, instead we get a Free to Play game, meaning I probably won't pay anything and therefore not get any of the fun toys, and therefore, in general, blech. Tweeted by Russ Bullock, President of piranha Games: "Hope all you #MechWarrior fans are as happy as I am, your going to love it. Just landed in Montreal, more tweets soon" Aside from the fact it should be "you're" not "your"... no, Mr. Bullock, I am not happy. I am in fact rather disappointed. And I was hoping you would at least give me until release until that happened.

JRock3x8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By JRock3x8

The thing you should realize is that they are disappointed too. None of the publishers would fund the game that you wanted and that they wanted to make. So they are literally putting their company on the line with this MWO initiative. They are saying to hell with you publishers - we are going to make this game anyways.

Actually the nail in the coffin on the big Single Player game was the PS3 restriction so if you want to go after someone, go after MS for not letting them make a PS3 version.

The point is that rather than give up they are going ahead and making the best game they can.

cozmicaztaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cozmicaztaway

@JRock3x8: Yeah, and I guess that's sort of a bummer. i looked into it a bit and, well, it looks likte they really care about the franchise and are trying to do the best they can with the hand they were dealt. I'm registered, I'll play it, but I'm not sure I'll love it like I did the other stuff. I can still remember the feeling of walking around in a Timber Wolf in MW2 rather perfectly, how it rises and falls. I doubt I'll play this enough to get that, but we'll see.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.