MoH: Warfighter Day 1 Patch Notes

#1 Posted by ttocs (769 posts) -
#2 Posted by Zereta (1368 posts) -

Don't send a broken game out. Man up, delay it, be upfront and fix your game. It should really be this simple.

#3 Edited by ttocs (769 posts) -

Below is what was sent back to Jeff when he commented on the patch notes on twitter. Apparently Microsoft will allow a broken game at release if you guarantee a day 1 patch and pay some extra money.

https://twitter.com/manveerheir/status/260597966476300288

The person replying to Jeff is from BioWare btw.

#4 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1090 posts) -

2010's MoH is still broken.

#5 Posted by Genkkaku (737 posts) -

That's not a patch, that's fixing a broken game..

"Fixed an issue where controls would become unresponsive under certain conditions."

Oh this seems like something that didn't need to be fixed in development.. Now I see why they didn't allow it to reviewers..

#6 Posted by Brodehouse (10078 posts) -

I guess it's way more cost-effective to just go ahead with manufacturing and then work on a patch. In digital distribution you'd never even notice, but when you have to print a game over a month before it's played, you can shuffle priorities.

#7 Edited by dungbootle (2458 posts) -

Jeff posted this on Twitter earlier and I was blown away by how crazy these are. There really does need to be a higher modern standard for certification, I feel like day-one bugs are something that people complain about often enough. This week's I Love Mondays gives me the impression that game reviewers are none too happy about being inconvenienced by late review copies as well.

And I don't imagine many people bought this game for the single-player, but buyers who cannot connect to the internet and therefore cannot patch will still be having Kind of a Bad Time.

#8 Edited by Sidfiou (74 posts) -

I don't like how they've held off til the eleventh hour to get this crucial patch out. Because this disrupts the review process, the informed public are going to look at this in two ways. They'll think that either the developer is incompetent and is rushing the game or that EA has no confidence in this game or the developers and wants to have public perception be dictated solely by their marketing team.

In any event, this isn't the way to establish a franchise nor follow up on a middle of the road first game.

#9 Posted by KirePDX (69 posts) -

I'm sure the team wished they could push things back, but given the release schedule over the next month; they'd be directly up against some huge games. So, I guess this is the best solution they could find to a bad problem.

That said, I'm concerned at the sizes of the patches that EA has been doing for BF3, and seems like will follow for this game. At this point, I'm pretty sure I have 3-4 GBs of patches on BF3 sitting on my harddrive. Fortunately, I upgraded to a 120GB, and have a good amount of room but that's still a lot of downloads. At the very least, it's a bad habit to get into for their releases, and at the worse, it means those with base HDD's are stuck with an inferior product.

#10 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -

i guess thats one way to punish offline players

#11 Edited by Marz (5658 posts) -

they probably didn't want to delay the game's release or else it would get eaten alive by Call of Duty next month(which it probably still will do but at least they get a few buyers looking for a new shooter).

#12 Posted by laserbolts (5331 posts) -

So people without an online connection. Do they still get the patch somehow or are they stuck with an unfinished game? Never really understood how all that works.

#13 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -
@laserbolts

So people without an online connection. Do they still get the patch somehow or are they stuck with an unfinished game? Never really understood how all that works.

I'd imagine those people are sort of fucked. How would they get the patch? It's a really shitty thing to do.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.