EA shelves Medal of Honor

#1 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

EA COO Peter Moore announced that the Medal of Honor franchise has been put "out of the rotation".

"The game was solid, but the focus on combat authenticity did not resonate with consumers," EA COO Peter Moore said. "Critics were polarized and gave the game scores which were, frankly, lower than it deserved. This one is behind us now. We are taking Medal of Honor out of the rotation and have a plan to bring year-over-year continuity to our shooter offerings."

EA Labels president Frank Gibeau said EA missed the mark, and the marketplace, with Medal of Honor: "We're in a hit-driven business where it's about what you can build in a certain period of time and really deliver for the marketplace, and frankly we missed on Medal of Honor. And we take responsibility for that."

Via Joystiq

Well, at least that's one less modern gritty brown FPS on the market. I hope this doesn't mean yearly Battlefield releases, unless they get working on a new Bad Company. Although, I guess whatever Respawn is working on is going to replace MoH.

#2 Posted by jjm494 (84 posts) -

So what is left of the modern military first person shooter genre? Off the top of my head, I can think of call of duty and battlefield, but beyond that I feel like I'm coming up short. Does Crysis 3 count despite its Sci-Fi setting? Maybe I'm out of the loop but it feels like Call of Duty and Battlefield are the only major players left standing.

#3 Posted by Brodehouse (9521 posts) -

I think they're still going to be making a military shooter every year. They'll probably just both be called Battlefield now. Maybe you get Battlefield 4 this year and then Battlefield Bad Compathree in 2014.

#4 Edited by believer258 (11565 posts) -
gave the game scores which were, frankly, lower than it deserved

Didn't look like anything more than a three-star game to me.

EDIT: Let's be fair: I feel like the studio that made it could do better, given the proper budget, time, and freedom.

#5 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2285 posts) -

Hope it stays dead this time.

#6 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3721 posts) -

A lot of people speculating they have Danger Close make a Bad Company 3.

I have to think that'd really eat into their long term sales but idk.

@Turtlebird95 said:

I actually wish they'd make a new WW II shooter on this scale at this point. Probably not a popular opinion.

#7 Posted by mordukai (7127 posts) -

EA shelves Medal of Honor...Again.

Fixed.

#8 Edited by laserbolts (5310 posts) -

Wow can't say I'm surprised but medal of honor has been around forever. Storming the beach at the beginning of frontline blew my mind back in the day. I wouldn't be shocked of there is another medal of honor some day.

#9 Posted by Wampa1 (625 posts) -

@Brodehouse: That shitty pun? Ten times more interesting to me than yearly Battlefield.

#10 Posted by Pr1mus (3779 posts) -

Sooooo... Battlefield 5 in 2014 right?

#12 Edited by Marz (5642 posts) -

this only means Battlefield will now be annualized, my money is that we'll see an announcement that a non DICE studio is working on a major series Battlefield game at a future games conference.

#13 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

One down, two to go.

#14 Posted by Ehker (235 posts) -
but the focus on combat authenticity did not resonate with consumers

Hahaha, hoo boy...I like this guy, he's hilarious. *wipes tear*

#15 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

Anyway, I've only played little of the first MOH, hated MOH 2010 and really enjoyed Warfighter, and I'm glad this BattlefieldxCOD hybrid game is now shelved.

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Turtlebird95 said:

I actually wish they'd make a new WW II shooter on this scale at this point. Probably not a popular opinion.

I'm right there with you. WW2 is no longer the dominant theme, so there's no reason to stay away from it. WW2 NEEDS to be revisited with the technology and game design of this day and age.

#16 Posted by Milkman (16484 posts) -

andnotasinglefuckwasgiventhatday.jpg

#17 Posted by Crixaliz (782 posts) -

@jjm494 said:

So what is left of the modern military first person shooter genre? Off the top of my head, I can think of call of duty and battlefield, but beyond that I feel like I'm coming up short. Does Crysis 3 count despite its Sci-Fi setting? Maybe I'm out of the loop but it feels like Call of Duty and Battlefield are the only major players left standing.

CoD might also be leaving it behind. BlackOps 2 is set in the near feature, bringing it closer to what Crysis is doing.

I wonder if Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer will bother with another Modern Warfare or go with a different setting too.

#18 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3481 posts) -

Medal of Honour: Frontline is still a terrific game. I'll always remember the game fondly. Needle in a Haystack is easily one of the most memorable FPS levels in recent (relative) memory.

#19 Posted by Gamer_152 (14051 posts) -

A little surprised to see this, but it's probably for the best, and I think it's another good example of how studios just trying to emulate what's popular doesn't always lead to success.

#20 Edited by Venatio (4483 posts) -

That is great news, hopefully they'll fund other, potentially better games, hopefully I really hope

Like perhaps making the only game I ask of them, Mirror's Edge 2

One can dream...

#21 Posted by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

@Ehker said:

Yeah, that is ridiculous. Anything to prevent the investors from bailing I guess.

#22 Posted by iceman228433 (572 posts) -

Like others have said let this one stay dead please.

#23 Posted by TheCreamFilling (1223 posts) -

@OfficeGamer said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Turtlebird95 said:

I'm right there with you. WW2 is no longer the dominant theme, so there's no reason to stay away from it. WW2 NEEDS to be revisited with the technology and game design of this day and age.

I couldn't agree more. Here's hoping for Battlefield 1944.

#24 Posted by Dallas_Raines (2130 posts) -

The multiplayer focused Mass Effect thingy will probably be what replaces it in the bi-annual rotation.

#25 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3721 posts) -

@TheCreamFilling said:

@OfficeGamer said:

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Turtlebird95 said:

I couldn't agree more. Here's hoping for Battlefield 1944.

Ah well glad I'm not alone.

Yeah I think there's something magical about that WWII balance of weapons.. real trade offs and strengths and weaknesses. And as much as I do like choppers its cool with that BF 1942 balance of vehicles... again a nice balance of strengths and weaknesses.

WWII in the Frostbite 2 engine would also be beautiful.

#26 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3767 posts) -

Smart move EA. Focus your shooter mojo on Battlefield and not sucking.

#27 Posted by jjm494 (84 posts) -

@jjm494 said:

CoD might also be leaving it behind. BlackOps 2 is set in the near feature, bringing it closer to what Crysis is doing.

I wonder if Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer will bother with another Modern Warfare or go with a different setting too.

@Crixaliz: I know that Sledgehammer was working on a third person Call of Duty that was eventually canned. I also remember hearing about rumors of them possibility working on a call of duty in space (Can't remember the specifics, this was almost 2 years ago now).

Anyway, the modern military setting seems to have just run its course like WW2 and to some extent the sci-fi setting with space marines, Aliens not withstanding. Perhaps publisher/developers feel the near future setting is a good middle ground. They can introduce some quasi futuristic weaponry while maintaining a setting that is somewhat familiar.

#28 Posted by Ehker (235 posts) -

@FrankCanada97 said:

@Ehker said:

Yeah, that is ridiculous. Anything to prevent the investors from bailing I guess.

In my sarcasm you hit the head on the mark (is that a saying?), because you're exactly right.

Investors are the target for this quote. They so far have a team that can't make good games, so they have to tell investors they NOW understand where they went wrong with a BS story about combat authenticity. This will keep some of them hanging on as if they know the answer when they clearly don't.

#29 Posted by MB (11900 posts) -

I've always liked the Medal of Honor games. I know the market is saturated but there's always room for a 6-10 hour long shooter campaign in my library. I even liked Warfighter's campaign...it wasn't that bad.

#30 Posted by Giantstalker (1514 posts) -

@MB said:

I've always liked the Medal of Honor games. I know the market is saturated but there's always room for a 6-10 hour long shooter campaign in my library. I even liked Warfighter's campaign...it wasn't that bad.

I hear you, and actually enjoyed it as well. Most people here probably never even played it - the game wasn't amazing but it certainly wasn't terrible either.

Multiplayer was actually pretty decent as well, had some genuine fun there.

#31 Posted by egg (1450 posts) -

Let's have a Medal of Honor Heroes 3 for Vita, 3DS, or both.

#32 Posted by Dark (360 posts) -

I believe this sums up Medal of Honor lately.

yyyyep

#33 Posted by Christoffer (1742 posts) -

@jjm494 said:

Yeah, I think we can bury the "games are nothing but brown millitary shooters these days" -argument now, at least for a while. All hail the "games are nothing but free-2-play cash grabs these days" -argument.

#34 Posted by Village_Guy (2482 posts) -

Good for them, well some of them, probably not Danger Close.

Give them a few years to develop a shooter for the next-gen consoles in a different setting (maybe go back to WWII?) and I think Danger Close could deliver a pretty awesome game.

#35 Posted by VintAge68 (86 posts) -

I'm really sorry to learn this as I've been a long-term fan of the series having played them all, I'm but convinced there will be a need for historical military shooters in the future, too...

#36 Posted by isomeri (1217 posts) -

Let's go back to WW2 I guess.

#37 Posted by floodiastus (1262 posts) -

I think Spec Ops pulled it off great, although not a FUN game, so awesome from a story perspective.

#38 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1410 posts) -

@jjm494 said:

Crytek UK (Free Radical) is still working on Homefront 2.

#39 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Great news, just focus on Battlefield, Activision does the COD style shooter better than anyone else, EA should stick with Battlefield it's such a better game.

#40 Posted by FrankieSpankie (228 posts) -

Meh, they all feel the same nowadays anyway. Call of Duty and Battlefield should both slow down how often they make games too, especially CoD.

#41 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Battlefield is a DICE game, I hope they don't dillute the brand by whatever hairbrain thing seems like the short-term corporate thing to do.

They should alternate big budget FPS releases with a Sci-Fi setting, rather than have yearly modern military releases. Just have 1,5 year post release DLC-support for your Battlefield game that comes out every 2 years, along the lines of Battlefield Premium, and go Sci-Fi every other year.

A Mass Effect or Command & Conquer branded combined arms game? Or even create a whole new Sci-Fi IP for the next generation of consoles? Mix Wing Commander/Privateer with FPS gameplay for some crazy combined arms game.

Hell - Disney might pick up EA and we'll get a DICE-made Star Wars Battlefield game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.