Battlefield 3 Beta - Which platforms?

#1 Posted by Silock (238 posts) -
Well the title pretty much says it all, which platforms will the beta be available on? Is that still TBA? If I was to use a bit of logic and guess I would say that Battlefield 3 is coming out on all platforms, I mean I can't really see developers letting console gamers pick up Medal Of Honor on either the 360 or the PS3 and giving them access to a PC only beta. But thats just my assumption, has there been any word since the announcement of the beta?  

Thanks guys 
Silock 
#2 Posted by jmrwacko (2443 posts) -

The beta will most likely be PC only, considering the Battlefield series proper is a PC franchise.

#3 Posted by Alexander (1721 posts) -
@jmrwacko said:
" The beta will most likely be PC only, considering the Battlefield series proper is a PC franchise. "
I guess the worry is that with it coming to consoles is Battlefield ever going to be proper again?
#4 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

I think it will be on all of them.

#5 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

I'm going to guess PC.  

#6 Edited by Diamond (8634 posts) -

The fact that they were talking about the beta being on 360 and PS3 was what clued everyone into the existence of console versions in the first place.  It's for all platforms.

#7 Posted by bitcloud (646 posts) -

All platforms confirmed by DICE a while ago. Hell, the announcement I saw was on a PS3 site.

#8 Edited by IkariNoTekken (990 posts) -

As you stated in your original post, it would be nonsensical to include beta codes for a PC based beta with a console game. So I think we can safely assume that it will be on all three platforms.

This also brings me to the topic of the Duke Nukem beta code, which is included in the Borderlands GOTY edition. It is supposedly packaged with all versions of the game, so its logical to assume that this beta will also be offered on all platforms as well.

#9 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -
@jmrwacko said:
" The beta will most likely be PC only, considering the Battlefield series proper is a PC franchise. "
Don't be naive.
#10 Posted by jmrwacko (2443 posts) -
@Jayross said:
" @jmrwacko said:
Don't be naive. "
I'm not being naive. I got the Battlefield 3 beta invitation by preordering PC Medal of Honor. So I'm assuming the Battlefield 3 beta is PC only.
#11 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

Yeah, pretty much it will be PC only. The reason being what Jeff said. Battlefield is such a vast and huge game that it will be too much for consoles. Pretty much if they put it on consoles then the developers will literally have to take out stuff. So they better not put it on consoles.

#12 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -
@jmrwacko People who preordered MoH for 360 and PS3 should also get beta invites. You said you got one, did they send you an email, or did they promise you will have access in the future?

@ch13696 I too hope that BF3 will remain a PC exclusive, but there are a lot of things suggesting that is not the case.
#13 Posted by EpicSteve (6483 posts) -

It's safe to assume it will be on every platform. It would be weird giving out codes for betas on platforms other than what you bought the game on.

#14 Posted by OneManX (1686 posts) -

Hopefully it's a thing where you enter the code ont he EA website and it's a PC beta from there... b/c once you pt Battlefield on the consoles, you should just call it Bad Company 3.

#15 Posted by Mikemcn (6980 posts) -

PC because of prone.

#16 Edited by ReaperOfLiving (491 posts) -

The code came with all platforms.  It WILL be on all platforms.

http://www.medalofhonor.com/battlefield3

" BATTLEFIELD 3 BETA DETAILS

Beta offer is contingent on Beta availability within 12 months of Medal of Honor release. Beta will be available for a limited time only and offer expires upon close of Beta events. Participation in Beta requires acceptance of Beta Agreement. Must be 18+. Xbox GOLD membership required for Xbox users. Visit www.ea.com/beta for details, including availability."

#17 Posted by Ethan_Raiden (342 posts) -

A lot of people seem to have forgotten the reason for a beta, it isn't a popularity contest between which platfrom the develpoer likes the most, Battlefield being a "Proper PC franchise" has nothing what so ever to do with a beta. A beta is used to test the game, and in Battlefields case it's network capabilities. If they showed favouritism by only offering the beta to one platform, they will be doing themselves a diservice by not collecting all the data that's available to them.

#18 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

PC bitches.

#19 Posted by JerichoBlyth (1044 posts) -

The beta will be on Xbox 360 and PS3......the PC will have to wait because it no longer takes priority.

As much as it pains me to say that...I love Battlefield and respect it as a PC original but lets face it - EA want the beta to be on consoles first, so they can drive more sales.

#20 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -
@Ethan_Raiden said:
A lot of people seem to have forgotten the reason for a beta
Screw that, a lot of the people in this thread have forgotten how to read.
#21 Posted by bitcloud (646 posts) -
@Diamond said:
" @Ethan_Raiden said:
A lot of people seem to have forgotten the reason for a beta
Screw that, a lot of the people in this thread have forgotten how to read. "
Kid's and their egos. They can make BF3 great even if it's on consoles and I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't going to bother with BC anymore.
#22 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -

In terms of the technical stuff, the only thing preventing them from making a true BF3 on consoles is bandwith caps imposed by microsoft and sony. I also wouldn't be surprised if they have trouble putting the huge maps on console because of performance issues. Hopefully they will optimize Frostbyte 2.0 for consoles. 

But the main thing preventing them from making a true BF3 on consoles is accessibility, and the fact is that EA is going to want to see 6 million copies of Battlefield 3, so they can't make it that hardcore. Thats the sad and ugly truth. 

Although I would argue that there are a lot of ways to make it accessible without dumbing down the core of the game, but I can't see DICE taking the time to do that, or EA spending the money for that matter.

#23 Posted by bitcloud (646 posts) -
@Jayross: Are you really sure Sony of all companies(MAG, Resistance) wouldn't see a way to work around it? I'm sure optimizing the engines of Frostbite 1.5 wouldn't hurt either. The current engine isn't 2.0. MAG, although only a decent game, did a very good job at taking similar features from BF2 and successfully put them in a console game.  

I don't think depth is really a problem as long as you make it intuitive and easy to understand. A lot of people think you can't have both.
#24 Posted by Jayross (2365 posts) -
@bitcloud Actually, I wrote a blog that goes quite in depth about how Sony could give BF3 some higher bandwith caps to allow for 64 players on the PS3, and thus giving them a significant advantage over the 360 version of BF3.

Although I'm not sure if EA would do that as that would make the 360 version vastly inferior...
#25 Posted by bitcloud (646 posts) -
@Jayross: Multiplatform parity is a joke anyway. I did read that about it, bandwidth caps need to be increased as the years go by too and Sony is the last company to be bitching about them.
#26 Posted by warxsnake (2649 posts) -

if there's  
no jets,  
no squad leaders,  
no 64+ player servers,  
no proper joystick/peripheral support,  
no trackir support, 
no commanders, 
and no big maps in BF3 because of consoles, I will burn my PS3. I haven't done jack shit with it in the past 4 months so might as well put it to good use. Or just shoot it with this 

#27 Posted by bitcloud (646 posts) -
@warxsnake: That's the point right? Get rid of BC multiplayer and have the full game on instead and have the single player of BC.
#28 Posted by VibratingDonkey (873 posts) -
EA says the disc is your ticket to the BF3 beta, so....I think it's pretty safe to say that both the beta and the game will roll out on all platforms. I think this is a bad idea. We've all seen what DICE can do on consoles with the Bad Company spin-off, and that is not what I want from a Battlefield 3. This is a sequel to Battlefield 2, not Bad Company 2.
#29 Posted by President_Barackbar (3454 posts) -

Damn, that's really disappointing. I guess the days of good PC Battlefield are over...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.