Medal of Honor Open Beta is Live

#1 Posted by MB (11983 posts) -

For those who downloaded the client through Steam, it still isn't unlocked...otherwise, servers are online and ready to roll.

#2 Posted by InfamousBIG (3200 posts) -

FLTG Review: Sucks.

#3 Posted by JusticeCat (113 posts) -

Trying to play, keep getting kicked about 10 seconds after joining the server.. punkbuster issues?

#4 Posted by Sanryd (1362 posts) -

Still 8 hours to go D:

#5 Posted by Tennmuerti (8005 posts) -

Gonna check it out after work.

#6 Posted by MB (11983 posts) -
@JusticeCat said:
" Trying to play, keep getting kicked about 10 seconds after joining the server.. punkbuster issues? "
Same here. I've finished a couple of full games and ranked up to 4 in Special Ops. I keep getting EA Server disconnects...what a surprise. Anyway, it feels like a DICE game, which isn't necessarily bad...but yeah.
#7 Posted by JusticeCat (113 posts) -

I was actually getting kicked. "You have been kicked from the server" - Was a punkbuster issue, reinstalled it from the archive directory and all is good.

But now getting the EA Server issue... apparently it was a problem with BC2 also.

(Thanks for the quest complete, mod or staff quoting me :P)

#8 Posted by MrMuscle (443 posts) -

Hoping to get some good info from you guys playing the beta. Ive been on the fence about this game. i was hoping Halo: Reach would tie me over untill Black ops, but im craving something else. I never tried and of the Battlefield games so i dont really know what to expect.
#9 Posted by MB (11983 posts) -
@MrMuscle: Do you have a somewhat modern PC? If so, the beta is open for everyone. If not, maybe you can go back and watch the Quick Look on the MoH Beta. The multiplayer is like a slowed-down MW2 that is more objective and team-based...or something like that.
#10 Posted by Fjordson (2448 posts) -
@MB:  Any noticeable visual difference between the PC and console versions (if you got a chance to play the console beta)?
#11 Edited by Geno (6477 posts) -
@Fjordson said:

" @MB:  Any noticeable visual difference between the PC and console versions (if you got a chance to play the console beta)? "

Not really the same locale, but should give you an idea.  

PS3 

PC 

I wouldn't actually the say the difference is that large, aside from standard res and AA stuff. MoH MP uses Frostbite which scales really well to consoles since its lower settings still look good at a fraction of the performance cost. The PS3 picture also looks like it suffers from a lot of compression, but it was the only one I could find for consoles in its native res. 
#12 Edited by Finstern (639 posts) -

This game runs and looks amazing on my relatively moderate PC, Q6600 quad core 2.4ghz and 9800GTX+ 

That said I'm not sure I actually like it, the guns don't have the impressive pounding to the sound like in BF and the animation/recoil doesn't make them feel powerful. In my third or so game I got a 27/3 kd spread... and I stopped being a decent pc gamer a long time ago lol

#13 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

....I can't play it?  Says it's preloaded though...what am I doing wrong?

#14 Posted by Finstern (639 posts) -
#15 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

thanks for the reminder.. downloading.

#16 Edited by Tennmuerti (8005 posts) -

Edit: nevermind preloading now, unlocks in 2 hours

#17 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -

I'm just going to download it to see if my computer can run it.

#18 Posted by Cirdain (2996 posts) -
@Tennmuerti: Oh right. thanks for the update
#19 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -
@MB said:
" @JusticeCat said:
" Trying to play, keep getting kicked about 10 seconds after joining the server.. punkbuster issues? "
Same here. I've finished a couple of full games and ranked up to 4 in Special Ops. I keep getting EA Server disconnects...what a surprise. Anyway, it feels like a DICE game, which isn't necessarily bad...but yeah. "
Could've sworn I heard Jeff say exactly the same thing months ago.
#20 Posted by Tyashki (211 posts) -
@MB: The multiplayer was done by DICE, so it should feel like a DICE game. XD
#21 Posted by Gizmo (5389 posts) -

I hid behind a rock, didn't move once and racked up 20 kills 0 deaths. 

Yeah, not good.

#22 Posted by raiz265 (2234 posts) -
@Gizmo said:
" I hid behind a rock, didn't move once and racked up 20 kills 0 deaths.  Yeah, not good. "
and? 

you can do that in any other shooter
#23 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

wish it was 360 as well. I dont have a pc capable of MOH.

#24 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Played about an hour of MoH this morning. The 'server dropping connection' issue was an annoyance. Otherwise it is a lot of fun. Especially like the Combat Mission map. Good stuff.

Hopefully the server issues will be fixed 'til tonight's play session.

#25 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

No connection issues here, games looks good on the PC.  I was having fun playing it, though it does seem to be a bit too easy on camping. 

#26 Posted by Raymayne (1226 posts) -

Game sucks ass.

#27 Posted by damswedon (3175 posts) -
  From  Dayjay  on twitter:  

#28 Posted by Binman88 (3684 posts) -

Well, I've just pre-ordered it after my short stint with the beta. People die suitably quick to my bullets, and the pace suits me perfectly. Not at all as similar as BC2 as I was led to believe. I'll probably forgo a purchase of Black Ops entirely if the full game continues to be enjoyable after a few weeks of online play. 

#29 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Played it and it seems a lot of the issues with the original beta aren't present.  Going to pre-order this for PS3.

#30 Posted by MB (11983 posts) -
@Finstern said:
.. the guns don't have the impressive pounding to the sound like in BF and the animation/recoil doesn't make them feel powerful. In my third or so game I got a 27/3 kd spread... and I stopped being a decent pc gamer a long time ago lol "
I noticed the same thing. The firearms in MoH don't feel like they have any weight to them, and the sounds are weak and recoil seems to have been turned way down. It doesn't take many shots to kill a dude, but it feels like I'm shooting a paintball gun and not an M4. A little disappointing there. Even the M21 feels like shooting a pellet  gun. 

@Fjordson said:
" @MB:  Any noticeable visual difference between the PC and console versions (if you got a chance to play the console beta)? "
I played just a couple of hours worth of the 360 version some months ago, and I have to say, the PC version looks way better...although I'm not sure that's really a fair comparison since I am running a Phenom II X4 965 and an ATI 5850. I have everything maxed out and the game looks great and runs fast. The most noticeable difference is the HDR and bloom effects which are just insane on the PC with everything turned on, but again the 360 build I played was from months and months ago so it may not be directly comparable to final retail.  

Anyway, with all that being said, I think I'm going to skip this one. I just don't feel like playing another Battlefield game right now. I'll probably try to rent it to play through the single player campaign if it gets favorable reviews, but I won't be investing any time into the multiplayer. I'm going to hold out and see what Black Ops looks like. 
#31 Posted by Daveyo520 (6652 posts) -
@MB:  Thanks for the heads up. I should give it a try.
#32 Posted by IncredibleBulk92 (936 posts) -

I'm really surprised to read positive impression here.  I've been playing this game for an hour and a half now and I've encountered nothing but unplayable lag.  During my 10 or so matches I've got about 4 or 5 kills on various servers with supposedly low ping.  If I can move my character at all I just get moved straight a couple of steps anyway.  I don't seem to be the only one with the problem either, I'm seeing a lot of people glued to the spot with run animations while others just seem to glide by while standing still.  Every now and then a guy with a  good connection pops up and just kills with immunity.  This game is completely unplayable. 

I can't believe people made such a stink about MW2's lack of servers, I never had any problems playing that online.  Is this happening to anyone else or am I going mad?

#33 Posted by jmrwacko (2443 posts) -
@JusticeCat said:
" But now getting the EA Server issue... apparently it was a problem with BC2 also.  "
This has happened for me in every EA game since BF2.
#34 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1438 posts) -
@Gizmo said:
"I hid behind a rock, didn't move once and racked up 20 kills 0 deaths.  Yeah, not good. "

I've done the same thing in Reach and any other FPS game.
#35 Posted by JusticeCat (113 posts) -

Played a few games this morning, pretty fun... a full 24 player server seems pretty hectic. a lot faster than my experiences with BC2.

First  server I joined had a player on the other team who was completely carrying the server, had a K/D ratio of like 63:1 by the end of the game, was either cheating or really, really good. Mate and I moved to another server and had some pretty enjoyable games.. Not sure if I like the flow/layout of the maps..

I'll get this game for the single player and any fun in the multi is just a bonus.

#36 Posted by IcySandman (474 posts) -

At first I was getting destroyed, than later I got into the pacing.  Doesn't feel like you can just run around like in MW2, but the Hit detection rocks compares to the shitty hit detection of BC2.  Truthfully I could care less about the recoil on the guns, it's a video game and if I wanted realistic recoil I'd play ArmA 2, or go to the gun range. 

I only had one problem with the game crashing on me, but I set the graphics to high and it stopped.  Not much lag, just a tad every once in a while.  

Overall I think it's a great mix between BC2 and MW2, two extremes in the shooter genre, but I hope the game has more content/more modes to keep me interested.

#37 Edited by Geno (6477 posts) -

Yeah, so the game's alright, but something that's really off-putting is how they took a lot of the assets straight out of BC2 (voices, animations, icons, textures). It's supposed to be a completely different franchise but it feels about as different from BC2 as Left 4 Dead 2 feels from Left 4 Dead 1. Hopefully the single player will differentiate itself more, otherwise I see no point in this game for anyone that already has BC2.  

Something that is kind of interesting about the beta though is that lots of MW2 players with MW2 playstyles and Battlefield players with Battlefield playstyles are essentially pitted against each other. So we got the accurate twitch shooters vs. more tactical players flanking and using cover. Made no significant difference to me though, I still lead each server I was in by a wide margin. 

#38 Posted by TheMustacheHero (6655 posts) -
@InfamousBIG said:
" FLTG Review: Sucks. "
Agreed. Worst PC game I've played in a while.
#39 Posted by MB (11983 posts) -
@jmrwacko
@JusticeCat said:
" But now getting the EA Server issue... apparently it was a problem with BC2 also.  "
This has happened for me in every EA game since BF2.
I even had this problem playing Tiger Woods online.
#40 Posted by President_Barackbar (3434 posts) -

I'm just curious here, but is there actually anything remotely unique about this game? It just looks like DICE tried to mash BC2 and MW2 together so they could get a product out there. What's the draw supposed to be?

#41 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -
@President_Barackbar said:
" I'm just curious here, but is there actually anything remotely unique about this game? It just looks like DICE tried to mash BC2 and MW2 together so they could get a product out there. What's the draw supposed to be? "
I think it's the thing you just mentioned; it's trying to draw both BF and MW2 players. Unfortunately it doesn't take the elements from the two games and combine them very synergistically. They basically took BC2 (same engine, assets and everything), stripped out the vehicles, reduced the map size (further!) changed the color scheme to be more like MW2's dull grey-brown, then added killstreaks. 

If someone somehow never played either MW2 or BC2 they would get a kick out of this game, but looking at it from a "gamer's gamer" perspective, there's not really much that's attractive about it. 
#42 Posted by President_Barackbar (3434 posts) -
@Geno:  And the strangest part is that with MW2 and BC2 being such powerhouses in the FPS genre, is there really anyone out there who cares that could've possibly missed them?
#43 Posted by Tennmuerti (8005 posts) -
@Geno:
@President_Barackbar:
I played both MW2 and BC2 extensively and liked both of them. The merging of the elements from the two actually really works well for me.
#44 Posted by President_Barackbar (3434 posts) -
@Tennmuerti:  Well ok, but it doesn't really blend any gameplay elements from the two games. Its basically MW2 on BC2's engine.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.