Medal of Honor Returns With Modern Setting, Beard Guy

Posted by Jeff (3577 posts) -

Modern Warfare, too? 
Electronic Arts has announced that a new Medal of Honor game is officially in development, with single-player being built at EA Los Angeles and multiplayer going out to a team at DICE. While the past games in the series have stuck to World War II, this new game will take things into a more modern setting. The game will be set in Afghanistan and will focus on the life and missions of the "Tier 1 Operator." The official information paints this guy as "today's most elite American soldier." Though, with that sweet beard he's rocking on the released box artwork, he could just as easily be "today's most elite carnival ride operator."

Beyond that box art, there isn't much else out there, just a year--2010--and, thanks to that artwork, we at least know it's coming for PlayStation 3. Based on the box art, might I recommend that the gentleman in this clip play the game's primary antagonist?

Working beard door courtesy of Nerdist.
Staff
#1 Posted by Jeff (3577 posts) -

Modern Warfare, too? 
Electronic Arts has announced that a new Medal of Honor game is officially in development, with single-player being built at EA Los Angeles and multiplayer going out to a team at DICE. While the past games in the series have stuck to World War II, this new game will take things into a more modern setting. The game will be set in Afghanistan and will focus on the life and missions of the "Tier 1 Operator." The official information paints this guy as "today's most elite American soldier." Though, with that sweet beard he's rocking on the released box artwork, he could just as easily be "today's most elite carnival ride operator."

Beyond that box art, there isn't much else out there, just a year--2010--and, thanks to that artwork, we at least know it's coming for PlayStation 3. Based on the box art, might I recommend that the gentleman in this clip play the game's primary antagonist?

Working beard door courtesy of Nerdist.
Staff
#2 Posted by Xeiphyer (5604 posts) -

Crazy

#3 Posted by Blair (2506 posts) -

That's simply amazing.

#4 Posted by Vance_Helsing (215 posts) -

Medal of the Call of Honor: Contemporary Conflict

#5 Edited by Dejkrigeren (384 posts) -

That kind of sound like another franchise that started with WWII, and moved to modern day when the nazi killing business' popularity dwindled...

Oh and do they REALLY want to enter a beard war with IW?

#6 Posted by Evilsbane (4619 posts) -

LoL nice video

Looks like it might be interesting I never hated the Medal of Honor series so we shall see.

#7 Posted by gpbmike (864 posts) -

Looks like another half-face box art to me.

#8 Posted by FinalDasa (1726 posts) -

New beard goals

#9 Posted by eroticfishcake (7786 posts) -

Looks like modern times is the new trend among FPS.

#10 Posted by jkaedance (14 posts) -

so they saw how popular call of duty has become and jumped on the bandwagon

#11 Edited by Ninjafern (421 posts) -

Medal of Honor : Private Security Contractor

#12 Posted by LiquidPrince (15947 posts) -

Ooh, beard guy!

#13 Posted by pakx (922 posts) -

the dude on the box art looks like he's going to sell that Carbine for a bottle of Jim Beam and a Ham Sandwhich.

#14 Posted by Bucketdeth (8012 posts) -

It's a Medal of Honor outlaw biker game.

#15 Posted by Milkman (16789 posts) -

I don't get this. EA already has Battlefield. Why even bother with Medal of Honor especially if they are going to hand the multiplayer to SAME PEOPLE that make Battlefield?

#16 Posted by snide (2413 posts) -
@danterandal19 said:
" Medal of the Call of Honor: Contemporary Conflict "
Oh man, this made me LOL.
#17 Posted by Pie (7099 posts) -

Oh, it's like that there modern warfare game, how about that

#18 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -
@gpbmike said:
" Looks like another half-face box art to me. "
Pretty much but  I bet that's not even the final box art.  

Medal of Honor: Scar Face? 
#19 Posted by Vorbis (2750 posts) -

Beard of Honor.

Someone call the photoshoppers.

#20 Posted by asian_pride (1654 posts) -

Check it out, it's Captain Beardy.

#21 Posted by Mushir (2389 posts) -

Beard guy with caps and sunglasses looks pretty badass!

#22 Posted by GeekDown (1170 posts) -

Awesome, I really like the Medal of Honor series. And with DICE doing the multiplayer it's going to be sweet!

#23 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

Oh my God that is great news!! I love it! The best news I've ever seen in my entire life!

Huh? There's some video game too? Whatever.

#24 Posted by Moztacular (467 posts) -

This just sounds like all kinds of fail

#25 Posted by RiddleBrother (511 posts) -

SURPRISE!

#26 Posted by TheKidNixon (1564 posts) -

Here's hoping for beard-based achievements.

On a semi-serious side note, I think it is interesting that they're splitting single player and multi-player dev teams. That could lead to disaster with massive miscommunication and source code being lost in translation, or it could allow those teams to share the basics and really buckle down and focus on what will make their portions of the game awesome. Expect that to increase the actual expense of the game though.

Final note: EA really likes DICE. Between allowing them to futz around with their experimental ideas in Mirror Edge, make multiple Battlefield games and then putting them behind arguably the most important part of their "COD killer?" They seem to have become EA's go-to-guys in the shooter marketplace.

#27 Posted by Hilfemaster (102 posts) -

Because the best thing to do when you are behind is to make a carbon copy of the competitions concept.

#28 Posted by TooWalrus (13197 posts) -

That's cool, I'll probably give it a shot. I've had fun with Medal of Honor games in the past.

#29 Posted by Darkstar614 (1098 posts) -

"today's most elite carnival ride operator."

LOL

#30 Posted by CornontheCobbe (2645 posts) -

Looks pretty cool. Beards are cool.

#31 Posted by mracoon (4971 posts) -

Well if DICE are doing the multiplayer that'll probably turn out good but as for the single player I don't what games EA LA have made beside the C&C series so I have no idea how that'll end up.

#32 Posted by JJOR64 (18991 posts) -

Hey look, EA is copying Activision.    My thoughts:     ZZZZzzzzzz.........

#33 Posted by thecleric (793 posts) -
@JJOR64 said:
" Hey look, EA is copying Activision.    My thoughts:     ZZZZzzzzzz......... "
what goes around comes around
#34 Posted by EpicSteve (6487 posts) -

If only the Army actually allowed beards. *sigh*

#35 Posted by Brake (1099 posts) -

Dude looks more like a biker than an elite soldier.

You better have some harley sequences in that game!

#36 Posted by punkxblaze (2985 posts) -

The irony in this. It's killing me on the inside.

#37 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6197 posts) -

Beardo!

#38 Posted by MushroomSamba (171 posts) -

I dug MOHAA from way back when (played its online MP regularly for like 4-5 years). I wouldn't mind a jump to modern settings, but I hope they don't lose the "arcadey" charm of the old days. I'm so sick of how easy it is to kill stuff in MW (2 shots do the trick most of the time), and all the silliness of perks, levels, and that airstrike/harrier BS. I want health gauges, I want to actually work to get my kills, I don't want to be shot in the back and have no ability to respond, I want to be able to run and jump and shoot accurately without having to scope in. 

In short, please don't be a MW copy cat. Just do your own thing.

#39 Edited by Skald (4367 posts) -

Medal of Honor: Bearded Combat 
EA, please include: 
More Beards 
More Guns  
Generic American Male Protagonist

#40 Posted by TheKidNixon (1564 posts) -
@mracoon EALA is essentially the same company as Dreamworks Interactive, which has always made Medal of Honor...except, everyone of real import who made the original Medal of Honor all left after they got pissy that EA had another development team create the third MoH (Allied Assault) game. They went off to become some company called Infinity Ward and do nothing of import. Meanwhile, Dreamworks got brought into the actual fold of EA as EALA, which is the same massive development house that makes the C&C games as well as BoomBlox.

Random fact that I didn't realize until researching this history real quick: Medal of Honor has never had a numbered sequel.
#41 Posted by Nasar7 (2677 posts) -

That box art is a joke

#42 Posted by Cornman89 (1579 posts) -

OH MY GOD A WORKING BEARD DOOR!!!

#43 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2992 posts) -

holy shit I want that guy's cage beard

#44 Posted by demonbear (1859 posts) -

Although i like the idea of a medal of honor comeback, this characters screams "badittude" to me.

#45 Posted by Delta_Ass (3279 posts) -

Yay, more Modern Warfare except it's not called Modern Warfare but it'll probably have a six hour campaign with multiplayer and the multiplayer will probably have perks except they won't be called perks and you guys all like Modern Warfare right? Right guys? Hay guys, wait up!

#46 Posted by Cerza (1653 posts) -

*ignores the article and looks at the badassitude box art* Oh boy finally a game where you get to play as Fidel Castro adorning a backwards baseball cap, badass sunglasses and a big gun!!! 

*reads the article* As I said in the forum post about this I am not surprised that EA is bring Medal of Honor back given their current money troubles. However, I can't help but feel the whole "me too! me too!" thing coming from this.

#47 Posted by MoistJohn (235 posts) -

dude.... that's  Matthew McConaughey.
#48 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

Awsomest beard ever! I wish i could grow a beard : (

#49 Posted by Lingxor (422 posts) -

Main character is savage.

There are too many pretty boys in games today.

#50 Posted by ToxicFruit (1717 posts) -

A beard door of a beard cage, now I know what I must do. Build a beard house !
but yey MoH modern will be interesting to follow

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.