Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Medal of Honor

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Oct 12, 2010

Step into the boots of Tier 1 Operatives Rabbit and Deuce in this modern take on EA's long-running Medal of Honor series; the game features separately-developed single player and multiplayer modes.

Medal of Honor's Taliban Renamed To 'Opposing Force'

• 176 results
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#151  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I think it was stupid that they changed the name.
    KillerBears

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#152  Edited By KillerBears

Idk, using the name while it's still very current news in a game that takes place in a fictional campaign almost seems like trying to cash in on a trend. I think it was unnecessary, obvious publicity stunting, but not in bad taste.

...But what I really love are some of the ridiculously ignorant comments in this thread. Way to go, GB.

captrofl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#153  Edited By captrofl

They might as well have called them "The Bad Guys"

sephirm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#154  Edited By sephirm87
    @Tuggah:  then again, if EA uses the term "opposing forces," you also get the benefit of having your game be relevant for a longer period of time, as well as not offending anyone.
    FrostedDolphin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By FrostedDolphin

Bitch Out

sanguis_Malus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By sanguis_Malus

Just call them "Cunts that must die"..............

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#157  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
    @Zatoichi_Sanjuro said:
    " @Donos said:

" Just occured to me, why exactly does everyone think this is a bad thing? Is there an actual reason for the name to have been kept as Taliban, or is this just the usual internet haterading on change? "

Because they;
    • caved to political correctness from people who don't play videogames
    • claimed the name change was to respect the "friends and families of fallen soldiers" and to maintain "the reverence for American and Allied soldiers"  yet it is blatantly superficial and changes nothing. You still kill American and Allied soldiers dressed as Afghan insurgents in Afghanistan.
    "
    There is also the fact that it is incredibly insulting to a man who risked his goddamn life to defend his country that people are afraid to even represent the conflict in a respectful way, without beating around the bush. This is just people making trouble where no trouble needs to be. It was a bold move, and as a result it got a lot of respect for the devs, but this is just them giving that advantage away. It's sickening how insistent we are in the universe to treat soldiers like heaven's strongest angels come to save us all, and yet we cannot even have a Taliban soldier in a video game. We cannot pretend they don't exist forever. They are out there, and even more shocking to the average citizen, they are just as human as the rest of us.
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#158  Edited By big_jon
    @Kaps said:
    "What a fucking cop out "

I kind of agree.
    joelalfaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#159  Edited By joelalfaro

Boo.

Teran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#160  Edited By Teran
    @MordeaniisChaos said:
    There is also the fact that it is incredibly insulting to a man who risked his goddamn life to defend his country that people are afraid to even represent the conflict in a respectful way, without beating around the bush. This is just people making trouble where no trouble needs to be. It was a bold move, and as a result it got a lot of respect for the devs, but this is just them giving that advantage away. It's sickening how insistent we are in the universe to treat soldiers like heaven's strongest angels come to save us all, and yet we cannot even have a Taliban soldier in a video game. We cannot pretend they don't exist forever. They are out there, and even more shocking to the average citizen, they are just as human as the rest of us. "
    Incredibly insulting?  What kind of imbecile would be insulted by a name being changed in a video game?  EA isn't making a documentary or writing an article for the New York Times, they are in the business of selling video games.

If you wanted to be insulted by something be insulted by folks like you trying to strip EA of their right to free speech.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#161  Edited By mike

OPFOR is usually used in training scenarios, used to refer to friendly military units playing the enemy. I've never, ever heard it used as a term for actual enemies. Whatever, we all still know who the bad guys are in this game, it doesn't matter to me one bit what they're called.

R4ZOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By R4ZOR

Im not sure what this sounds like but "Opposing Force" sounds ok to me, its still what it looks like.
    simian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#163  Edited By simian

Think of the children(tm)!

Finscher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By Finscher

Look everybody! It's a caricature, not a real threat anymore!

punk_beatzUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#165  Edited By punk_beatzUK

It makes zero difference to me - I couldn't care less if I was playing against a team called Opposing Force or one called Taliban. 

TheJoker138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#166  Edited By TheJoker138

I understand why they did it, myself.  We're still at war in Afghanistan.  We're still fighting the Taliban.  It is happening right now.  It's not like WW2 games where you play as Nazi's, which I even find a little bit weird and would always be kind of pissed when I was put on the Nazi team in games like COD or Wolfenstein because I don't want to be part of a team of genocidal maniacs, even if it is just a game.  But no one complains because that shit was a long time ago, dude.  Same with even Vietnam.  But I can see how it might weird people out to be playing as the group that killed/maimed your husband/wife/brother/son/daughter/cousin/friend/etc. overseas.

mathewballard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#167  Edited By mathewballard

I think people just need to get over themselves and realize that these are videogames and we can just make every thing seem all nice and pretty.

AsKo25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By AsKo25

I dunno if I was a Taliban, I'd rather be called Taliban and not "Opposing Force"

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By time allen

i'm a fan of logical decisions, so here goes my suggestion: 

if you are offended, don't play the game. play something else. not that the majority of the complaints come from people who play video games or intended to play this particular one, anyway.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#170  Edited By LordAndrew
    Legitimate Journalism said:

"It doesn't matter what you call it," wrote one commenter at videogame site GiantBomb.com. "At the end of the day, you're still going to play as terrorists."

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By Example1013
    @Zatoichi_Sanjuro said:
    " @example1013 said:

Name one positive effect the Taliban had on Afghanistan. One. And if you can make a case, I'll mail you a $5. "

Extraordinarily simple: They brought order to chaos. Thanks to those lovely superpowers the USA and the USSR Afghanistan was turned into a lawless mess of heavily armed warlords who did whatever they pleased to whomever they pleased. A full body veil is an extremely functional piece of dress when you have a pretty daughter and you live in a country where a gang of 15yrs olds with AKs can do what they want. The Taliban ended that. They brought draconian rules but rules, however harsh, are far preferable to chaos. Many Iraqis, even Shia Iraqis, have openly said they preferred to live under Saddam. At least with him they knew what they had to do to survive. A carbomb, on the otherhand, is indiscriminate. "
    Sorry for the late response, but this is appropriate for it.

Sorry, but that's not good enough. If the Taliban hadn't taken over, another group would have. And since this is true, I contend that the Taliban brought no better stability than could have been provided by a more moderate group, thus invalidating any theory that what they brought was "good", in comparison to what another group would have most likely established. This, because it's doubtful that any other group would have been at least as or more radical than the Taliban.
    maimran91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#172  Edited By maimran91

This is the best way to avoid controversy! Good job, EA.

luthorcrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#173  Edited By luthorcrow

I completely agree with Justin from the Joystiq podcast.  You can't have and eat your explotation cake at the same time.  The fact is EA is exploiting this on going conflict for sales.  You can't just turn around a change the name of the enemy and pretending like you are not profitering on others woes.  Man up EA and stick to your guns. You can call the Hungry, Hungery Hippos if you want but they will still be Taliban. 

Besides let's be honest, how is it ok to still play the U.S. slaughtering hundreds of Taliban but it is not OK to the play the same force doing the same.  I got news for you folks, God doesn't favor either side.  They think they are right too.  If total up the losses on both sides soliders, civilians etc. they are paying a much higher price than we are except for treasure.  

But back the main point, EA is cashing in on attention this game is going to get and this rename is just disingenuous. If you are going to be evil be evil but don't try smear white frostying on your shit cake and pretend it's not a shit cake.
    ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By ShockD

I want my Talibans back!!!

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#175  Edited By sins_of_mosin

Sad when a game company is afraid of a bunch of sheep humpers.

Mancuso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Mancuso

This is ridiculous. How does changing the name of the enemy make any difference? You are still getting points for killing american soldiers in mass numbers. The more you kill in a row, the better you do. That is disrespectful. Calling the enemies what they are isn't.

pastabot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By pastabot

It would've been a nice change to have a modern-day FPS have a real terrorist faction in it. Oh well, I guess the worrisome mommies and Fox News have won again.

STWNRPWNR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By STWNRPWNR

EA has big balls for bringing a current event with actual militant forces to the table in a war game. I don't know if it has ever been done before. As far as the name change goes... a rose by any other name... enough said. For the people who can't handle mid-eastern terrorists in a video game- get over it! Reality won't change because you wish the world was rainbows and unicorns. I hear a lot of fear-talk from the media and it enrages me. A smart man once said," Fear is the last step down to the door of destruction." So why don't  they stop all the controversy (that they created) and try to take this game for what it is- a game. 

PS- Has anyone considered the hours of fun tea-bagging those dirty OPFOR could bring? Oh, the joy! XD

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.