Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Medal of Honor

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Oct 12, 2010

Step into the boots of Tier 1 Operatives Rabbit and Deuce in this modern take on EA's long-running Medal of Honor series; the game features separately-developed single player and multiplayer modes.

Playable Taliban Not a Media Nightmare?

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Donos

For a long time, news types have been knocking video games for teaching kids to kill people.  Last year, it all came to a head with Modern Warfare 2 teaching kids to act like terrorists, though actual results may vary. Now Medal of Honor's multiplayer goes one step further, and lets you play as not just a  terrorist, but an actual name-brand terrorist. I mean, slapping the name Taliban on your generic middle-eastern dude with an AK is clearly tantamount to brainwashing, and it's obvious proof that EA hates you.

How has this gold-mine of alarmist headlines not been capitalized on by the media? Where's the uninformed major news network coverage? Where are the incredibly biased British talk shows? Where are the middle-aged women screaming " Think of the children!"?

More seriously, is this a sign that the general public is finally beginning to accept video games for what they are? Or has Medal of Honor simply slipped below peoples radar for the moment? What do you think?

nexas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By nexas

I think your giving the media too much credit.  Its flying under their radar because no one besides gamers pays attention to E3. If nothing happens when the game comes, then I'll accept that the general public is beginning to care less about what goes on in video games.

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
    TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TheCreamFilling

Like always the media will learn of this in a few years and WATCH OUT, VIDJA GAMES ARE TURNING YOUR KIDS INTO TERRORISTS!

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By mosdl

I'm sure someone will catch on and spout about helping to recruit terrorists, but isn't that true of all MP games where you can play the non-US/West side?  Its not like press J to shout terrorist remarks.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By AlwaysAngry

Well, we go to a site call "Giant Bomb." Pretty terrorist if you ask me. In fact, I think that you people need to accept that all of us are terrorists. I mean, look at this!

These images poison our children. 
    Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
    peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By peepeepoopoo696

I could care less about what the media thinks of video games.

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Donos
    @mosdl:  It has been generally true for lots of games for a while now, but I see this case being a bit more extreme. The difference is that in every previous game I can think of, enemies are either fake or not entirely evil. Since Medal of Honour is using an enemy both real and (in the view of Average Joe) *  evil, I see that as having far greater potential for fear mongering.  The one exception to the no-real-baddies rule I know of is Six Days in Fallujah, and look how that turned out.

*I'm trying to avoid making blanket statements about real people's moraliy, one way or the other.

@AlwaysAngry: Lol, good point. Oddly enough, I actually was called a potential terrorist on the news once. This was back during the "zomg paintball fields are terrorist training camps" scare, and the reporter was filming an interview with the field operator,  while me and the other people pretended to play in the background (no flying paint near the cameras). Anyways, I overhear the reporter asking something about potential terrorists... then gesturing at me followed by a camera zoom. My mistake for wearing my camoflauge to the field =(.
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Rockdalf
    @Donos said:
    How has this gold-mine of alarmist headlines not been capitalized on by the media? Where's the uninformed major news network coverage? Where are the incredibly biased British talk shows? Where are the middle-aged women screaming " Think of the children!"?  More seriously, is this a sign that the general public is finally beginning to accept video games for what they are? Or has Medal of Honor simply slipped below peoples radar for the moment? What do you think? "
    If ignorance is bliss, why are these people in full blown panic?  Also, I see this getting small media attention when the game is released, but I don't think it will reach "No Russian" hype.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ryanwho

You play Nazis and Soviets in plenty of games, especially multiplayer ones.

b33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By b33

i only have one thing to say: 

parents, do your f'ing job.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By dbz1995

Mortal Kombat is coming out-whilst they go batshit crazy over that, Medal of Honor will go flying to our houses like a speeding bullet on crack.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

EA want the media to start squealing about their game, it gets more attention and more people buy it.  

I think it's hilarious. The Alan Titchmarsh show was the best.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DrPockets000

The phrase "actual results may vary" made me giggle.  Bravo.

Kahoona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Kahoona

Trust me, Fox News will NOT pass this opportunity up.

JeXus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By JeXus

In the multiplayer beta its the Coalition vs Insurgents. They aren't called taliban at all.  http://www.medalofhonor.com/betainfo 

Talk about uninformed news coverage, more like uninformed forum postl

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Donos

Huh, coulda sworn I remembered them as being called the Taliban in multiplayer, not just singleplayer.

To be fair, I wouldn't be shocked to see a media outcry even against playable insurgents, simply for depicting them in relatively realistic scenarios. On the other hand, other games have already come out with "insurgents" and the like, without any ruckus in the last couple years, so I guess were past that now.

/thread?

Avatar image for fakeplastictree
    FakePlasticTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FakePlasticTree
    @AlwaysAngry said: 
    "
    Not cool dude. A minor could see this image. What's next after that? Well I'll tell you. Crack. Crack is next.  

Also, I despise the media. It's all just sensationalist bullshit. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.