Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Medal of Honor

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Oct 12, 2010

Step into the boots of Tier 1 Operatives Rabbit and Deuce in this modern take on EA's long-running Medal of Honor series; the game features separately-developed single player and multiplayer modes.

Quick thoughts on the beta. Your thoughts?

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Jace

Coming in to this, my thoughts were pretty much that of everyone else's, "Yo, this game gonna be a shitty CoD rehash." and for the most part, that isn't true. I've been into MoH since Allied assault and spearhead. I've loved medal of honor up until airborne like the father to CoD. This is the main reason i chose to give this game a shot and im glad i did.  

Cons - 
    -linear online progression. 
    -the sector map in the beta kinda sucks dick in a very cod sort of way. Nade spam. But i guess all games need a close range map. 
    -not much variety in weapons(hope that changes in full realease) 

Pros- 
    -feel of the shooting is perfect. I can not stress this enough. This is where cod gets its ass handed to it. These guns feel powerful and they have weight. 
    -character physics with ragdoll are also perfect. Very wieghty and very believable.  No more same death animation cod style. Think ragdoll with boundaries. 
    -i like the ranking system's pace. 

That is about all i can draw from the beta. Someone agree/disagree?

Shadowsquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Shadowsquire

I really like the game actually. Its like battlefield, but seems to get rid a lot of the bullshit I hated about battlefield. One good example is that people aren't bullet sponges in MoH. You shoot them and they die. Though the maps are too "battlefield" for my tastes. Like you said, they're too linear (at least I think thats what you meant). Almost no room for flanking or getting around the opponent. Just constant head-on collisions in the middle of the map.
    Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jace

I loved the snow map. Hated the other map.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By ESREVER

I only played the 1 map that wasn't the snow level. I deleted it soon after I played a couple of rounds. 
    I guess I agree with you about how the guns felt. 
    Maybe not so much on how they aim. 
    I kind of rolled my eyes when I saw an enemy soldier on the roof and I couldn't quite "see" them, so I jumped and shot him with my sniper. That shouldn't be possible in that kind of game. At least not to me. 
    I do come from a counter-strike background, and a jumping shot from a scout is nearly impossible. 

I'll probably be skipping out on this one. Unless I hear crazy good things about the single player. 
    Then again, I'm not really the target audience for this game. So take my criticism with a grain of salt. 
    I've been avoiding multiplayer FPSs for awhile. I'm hoping BRINK changes that.

Texas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Texas

I only played one map as well and was not too impressed. 
    First of all I turned the graphics all the way up to max and its didnt look good at all. I know its a beta and all but still they have some competion that has much better graphics. 
    I then tried to use the sniper rifle and was using it. I shot a guy square in the chest, and he recoiled and then ran away.  
    What kind of sniper rifle doesn't take out a guy when you shoot him once.  
    I also saw a clip of a guy reviewing the game and he was close to a guy and he shot the guy 4 times in the chest. The guy he shot charged him while being shot and knifed the guy playing. 
    Modern Warfare and Bad Company 2 also have knifing problems but that should have been fixed. 
    I am gonna get it from gamefly just to play the single player. I have no desire for the multiplayer.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Binman88

I agree with your points. The shooting feels good to me, though I prefer a game with a ton of recoil that forces the player to be a little bit more skilful - I think games need a bigger gap between being an average player, and being an experience one; mastering recoil for different weapons would help strengthen this divide. That being said it so far feels like a game that will require more skill and intelligent positioning due to the slower pace of the game - which I like. I'm looking forward to seeing the other maps in the full game. I like close quarters maps, but nade spam can be a definite detractor from the experience, as you begin to feel like you have to rely on luck to survive in a lot of cases.

noremnants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By noremnants

The snow map I thought was far far too sniper heavy. You can't do anything but hide behind a rock without being sniped. And with the super accuracy in this game, snipers are even more powerful than they are in BC2.

I actually thought the sector control map was kind of fun but far too small.

Avatar image for comradekritstov
    ComradeKritstov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By ComradeKritstov
    @ESREVER said:
    " I only played the 1 map that wasn't the snow level. I deleted it soon after I played a couple of rounds. I guess I agree with you about how the guns felt. Maybe not so much on how they aim. I kind of rolled my eyes when I saw an enemy soldier on the roof and I couldn't quite "see" them, so I jumped and shot him with my sniper. That shouldn't be possible in that kind of game. At least not to me. I do come from a counter-strike background, and a jumping shot from a scout is nearly impossible. I'll probably be skipping out on this one. Unless I hear crazy good things about the single player. Then again, I'm not really the target audience for this game. So take my criticism with a grain of salt. I've been avoiding multiplayer FPSs for awhile. I'm hoping BRINK changes that. "
    Same, the shooting in this game is TERRIBLE. 0 recoil, 0 spread is way too easy and just becomes "hey an enemy, let me hold down left click for a few seconds as he does the same."
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By AhmadMetallic

it's fun while it lasts, but fuck it im not buying it, i already own Bad Company 2 and this is too much of a clone.. its the same fucking game !

loldetaerleo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By loldetaerleo

I hate the feel of the MP, guns lack recoil, hitboxes are way off and it has terrible map design.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

I played it for about 45 minutes and didn't want to touch it ever again. Then again I hate MW2 and most other modern-combat FPS games, excluding BFBC2.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Animasta

when I played it during the previous PC beta, didn't much care for it; I mean, I still have BC2, why bother?

Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Evilmetal

I played the "Open BETA" which is a 'BETA' one week before FINAL.... silly.

It has a stench of 'hacker paradise' .

There is no way to observe the players. Maybe for console play, not so much of 'hacker paradise', but on the PC?  At least in BC2 you could see roughly where the enemy was. Not that like that feature in BC2. I think BF2's way was good, you could also tea-bag, but BF2 was a different game. Here MOH is close quarters, a CS type of game; this type of game requires observation capabilities to be considered serious. 

I don't like the gameplay in this "superfragilisticexpialidocious BETA".  <-- I googled it.............
    It said I got the M24 unlocked, just by logging in. Nothing special.

The sound effects are the same. They have some mechanism so if you hip fire your weapon you hear one sound effect and if you use zoom, you hear another sound. Interesting concept.

The weapon reload animations are the same ones found in BC2.

I felt I couldn't tell what the fuck was happening around me: where the shots were coming from, direction of being hit... stupid. 

The respawn rate is short, so you get back in the action fast, which seems nice. But then you get cut down and then it's like:  "aww what the fuck, this same shit again".

You start getting shot by hats in the distance. That's how it seems to me. You can't see their body, you can't see anything except a small piece of their hat sticking above the rock and they have pitched a tent to camp and you get shot.  Then people will say, fuck this, let me choose sniper and then it's 2-way sniper camping. Then you will have people saying "Stop camping, this isn't real life" bla bla bla... STFU. Because the game is flawed you will give someone else the 'fun' of gunning you down? Yeah, what stupid logic, charge out so I can shoot you so I can have fun; while you don't have fun. Yeah, that's fun.

$60....................................  maybe are they including a little bit of Afghani opium in the PC version to give reason for $60? 

invadernick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By invadernick

I'm kind of disappointing that there's no kill cam, I find that it really helps you identify your mistakes and help you learn the map and common camp spots. I had a lot of WTF deaths in this game and it was frustrating to not know how I died.  

The sniper feels underpowered too, shot a guy 3 times to the chest before he died. I can understand 2 but 3 is a little too much I think. I also liked how grenades and tubes don't kill as easily as in MW2 and for that I'm very thankful.

Other than that, great game! OH and capturing the points feel super fast, which I like!

Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
    Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

Felt like a cross between MW2 and BC2 but doing neither better than those games and thus being worse than both of them. 

I shall not be purchasing...for now

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jace

Everyone here seems to be making about the same points. None of which I disagree with. 

This game looks the same as everything else to me, but feels different to me somehow. I can't put my finger on it. 

Buy status:maybe. 

GT5 might just have all my time.

Balfas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Balfas

Have to say the shooting felt good but the map design is poor. Loads of choke points full of nades and snipers and plus the respawn system falls apart in the tight/close maps. You respawn and get shoot in the head no chance. Played about an hour and have no urge to play it again. 
    @ESREVER
    said:

" I only played the 1 map that wasn't the snow level. I deleted it soon after I played a couple of rounds. I guess I agree with you about how the guns felt. Maybe not so much on how they aim. I kind of rolled my eyes when I saw an enemy soldier on the roof and I couldn't quite "see" them, so I jumped and shot him with my sniper. That shouldn't be possible in that kind of game. At least not to me. I do come from a counter-strike background, and a jumping shot from a scout is nearly impossible. I'll probably be skipping out on this one. Unless I hear crazy good things about the single player. Then again, I'm not really the target audience for this game. So take my criticism with a grain of salt. I've been avoiding multiplayer FPSs for awhile. I'm hoping BRINK changes that. "  
     Totally agree unless the single player game is amazing I won't be getting this. Really looking forward to BRINK. Love the art style and the combat looks great. 
    Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Raymayne

Sucks ass.

eezo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By eezo

hitbox is shit and also i'm sick of exploits on maps, i'm just gonna say "go go go Counter Strike Source"

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By EpicSteve

It sounds great that it has the accuracy of Modern Warfare, but added weight to the weapons.

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Rockanomics

Campsville VonCamperton is my experience, got killed from people I couldn't see like 80% of the time? Only times I really had fun was when I was camping myself.

borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By borodin
    @Rockanomics said:
    " Campsville VonCamperton is my experience, got killed from people I couldn't see like 80% of the time? Only times I really had fun was when I was camping myself. "
    I totally agree, the invasion style map (do they call the mode combat mission? something like that?) is so narrow that there are about a dozen spots where you can sit and have a perfect view of the whole width of the map - combine that with unlockable ammo upgrades *and* the support upgrades for ammo and you can have what is 99% a one shot kill sniper rifle to wreck fools with. It's fun, but in a cheap way and I was painfully aware that while I was enjoying going 47-4 and other ridiculous scores, the guys I was shooting just had no chance and were probably not having a good time.

More generally I am blown away by how much it feels like MW 2 + bad company 2 - I know that sounds obvious but DAMN, I'm not sure it could feel more like that even if dice and the infinity ward guys had actually collaborated!
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23  Edited By Seppli

I really enjoy the beta, other than it being on PC - but that's a whole other story. I'm just not feeling the KB&M setup. Too many people get too good too quickly. Together with the super-low TTK (Time to Kill), it kinda ruins the experience for me - amongst other PC related quirks of course. Cheaters and their hacks. People increasing visibility with .ini-file alterations and whatnot. It's just not an even playingfield. Still doing fairly well. Nontheless I prefer the closed online environment consoles offer for my multiplayer FPS gaming. Looking forward to receiving my Tier 1 Edition for PS3 next week.

'Til then I'm off trying to do a proper playthrough of Gothic 3. Man - that game's so amazing, once you get over yourself and all its quirks and oddities and bugs (which have almost all been eliminated by now). Great stuff!

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Spoonman671

I think that character models blend into the environments a little too well.  I spent a good minute or so tracking down a stationary player who I could clearly see on the map, but my eyes just couldn't find him.  Eventually I noticed the dark beard against the rock 10 feet in front of me and I shot at it.

They still need to tighten up the hit detection and servers.  There have been a number of times where I know I wouldn't have been killed if it weren't for the lag.

I'm looking forward to the game, but I'm still a little wary of pre-ordering.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Seppli

The one shortcoming, that really bugs me, is the lack of smooth natural movement. How would I love to climb up anywhere I'd naturally could with ease. How would I love to leap over obstacles or out of windows. How would I love to slide over a table or the hood of a car or behind cover.

Oh how would I love smooth natural movement in DICE games outside of Mirror's Edge!

Really looking forward to trying out Brink because of the premise of smooth natural movement. Can't believe DICE didn't add it to the Battlefield formula after Mirror's Edge. What a crazy oversight!

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Seppli

I fondly remember the days of dolphin diving out of windows in the original BF:V. Too bad there's no smooth natural movement or even dolphin diving in Medal of Honor.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I think its decent, it needs some polish though. 
    sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By sagesebas
    @Jace: It runs great on my computer, and looks amazing. The shooting is great too, and I like how fast paced it is
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By mike
    @Spoonman671 said:
    ... There have been a number of times where I know I wouldn't have been killed if it weren't for the lag.
    I've been noticing some strange stuff over the last hour or two that I've been playing. I'll get shot, then duck behind a rock, then a second or so later I die. It doesn't feel laggy and I was playing with a <40ms ping, but still...just unusual behavior. Maybe a combination of hit boxes and lag makes for some strange deaths. Of course, the complete lack of a kill cam makes a lot of deaths inexplicable, especially playing on the Domination map. Half the time I'll die and not be entirely sure which direction the fatal round even came from. 

Ultimately it's just another mediocre shooter that seemingly succeeded in blending elements of Battlefield and Modern Warfare together, but that isn't as good nor as fun as either of the franchises it took it's "inspiration" from. I'm happy there was a "beta" (demo) this close to launch...I got enough of this game to know that I won't be missing anything by passing on it. I'll eventually rent it, borrow it, or pick it up on the cheap so I can play through the single player campaign, but that's about it. One fall release down, about a dozen to go!
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By jmrwacko
    @invadernick said:

" I'm kind of disappointing that there's no kill cam, I find that it really helps you identify your mistakes and help you learn the map and common camp spots. I had a lot of WTF deaths in this game and it was frustrating to not know how I died.    The sniper feels underpowered too, shot a guy 3 times to the chest before he died. I can understand 2 but 3 is a little too much I think. I also liked how grenades and tubes don't kill as easily as in MW2 and for that I'm very thankful. Other than that, great game! OH and capturing the points feel super fast, which I like! "

Try the scoped sniper rifle you unlock early on, I haven't yet gotten a hit marker from the sniper rifle that wasn't a kill.

Also, I agree with MB, the game just isn't very fun and therein lies the dilemma. I think the real problem is that the maps are so narrow but the TTK is so short that every match plays exactly the same as the last. If the game had dynamic maps with multiple chokes, it wouldn't be so campy and boring.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.