Two different engines

#1 Posted by PufferFiz (1387 posts) -

Why would a dev use two different engine in a game? I mean I understand having two teams making single and then multi player. But Two Completely different engines? As someone that has played the game I find it very odd that one team would have to spend extra time to make both engines look the same and to think this will benefit the game in any way. I would think it would be a lot easier to send a few DICE guys to help out the MOH guys on the Frostbite engine.

#2 Posted by DarkGamerOO7 (574 posts) -

It does seem like a rather odd choice but my guess is the studio making the campaign is experienced with one engine while DICE is experienced with the Frostbite Engine, so they just used the engine they were familiar with to help keep quality consistent and save time.

#3 Posted by shadows_kill (3165 posts) -

it was weird enough having dice be doing (pretty much) half of the game. they got bfbc2, the add on Vietnam.. that means no real time for a real bf sequal or mirrors edge 2.....

and i agree it was probably a LOT more work to make the games feel shoot and look similar for sp and mp.

#4 Edited by loopy_101 (287 posts) -

I don't get it either, single player is meant to serve as a sort of training ground to the actual multiplayer (as with COD) so using two engines - two entirely different games in effect, doesn't help. But besides that Medal of Honour's multiplayer is waaaaay too much like Battlefield. I'm not saying anything against Battlefield in that sense but I do like some originality atleast.

#5 Posted by Devil240Z (3442 posts) -

Hopefully this means the single player wont feel like BC2 which felt like boring. 

#6 Posted by jakob187 (21763 posts) -

Wait, they are using two different engines as well?  Well, this should be an interesting game to review! 

Also, I would imagine it's just based on studio experience with engines.  Sadly, if the engine being used for the single player is anything based on the same engine used for Medal of Honor: Airborne, then I expect stiff animations and generally nasty texture work.

#7 Posted by AlwaysAngry (2866 posts) -

Well, the BETA sucks, so I have no care at all for this game. It's going to be terrible.

#8 Edited by Bionicicide (1213 posts) -

Don't forget that 2 engines means less space to work with (7 GB per disc as their denominator for the X360 - 1.5 GB is used as security on all X360 discs).

#9 Posted by agentboolen (1846 posts) -

It sounds like MOH guys don't do multiplayer and EA left it up to them just for the fact that most people wont buy a 1 player war game.  I see your point and yes its rather odd, and most likely the game will feel different when playing one mode from the other.

#10 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
A dev isn't. TWO devs are using two separate engines. Where do you get this "one team" shit from?

@Bionicicide

said:

" Don't forget that 2 engines means less space to work with (7 GB per disc as their denominator for the X360 - 1.5 GB is used as security on all X360 discs). "

The engine is a minuscule addition to the filesize. The games will share assets (sounds and graphics) which take up the most space. Next to that would be the levels themselves, which seem to be what will take the extra disc space in this case (which is no different from any other game with a multiplayer component). The engine and gameplay tweaks are mere dozens of megabytes in size.
#11 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:
" A dev isn't. TWO devs are using two separate engines. "
This post had a point. Thanks for adding to the discussion.
#12 Posted by MAN_FLANNEL (2462 posts) -

I'm going to laugh when the campaign looks and plays absolutely nothing like the multiplayer.  I'm not saying that it will happen, but if it does, man that is just fucking lazy.   

#13 Posted by BunkerBuster (1042 posts) -

Ten bucks says that there are two disks. One for single-player and the other for multiplayer and everyone is going to freak the fuck out about it.

#14 Edited by Bionicicide (1213 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:

" The engine is a minuscule addition to the filesize. The games will share assets (sounds and graphics) which take up the most space. Next to that would be the levels themselves, which seem to be what will take the extra disc space in this case (which is no different from any other game with a multiplayer component). The engine and gameplay tweaks are mere dozens of megabytes in size. " 

Really? Anyways I recall Giant Bomb say that MoH's PR were touting "2 games in 1 box" on a podcast before so I don't think they're sharing a lot of assets, especially when looking at the recycled animations DICE used from the Bf:BC series and the Bradley.

@MAN_FLANNEL said:

" I'm going to laugh when the campaign looks and plays absolutely nothing like the multiplayer.  I'm not saying that it will happen, but if it does, man that is just fucking lazy.    "

Singleplayer will have prone and sliding (lean too, maybe). Multiplayer won't.

@BunkerBuster said:

" Ten bucks says that there are two disks. One for single-player and the other for multiplayer and everyone is going to freak the fuck out about it. "

I would love that, would save me money on buying the singleplayer disc only.
#15 Posted by SPACETURTLE (1622 posts) -

I've also wondered about this two engines deal. I don't know how it all will pan out in the end, but I'm at least open for it. Kinda excited about how different the SP and MP are gonna feel compared to each other. Perhaps they won't feel very different at all -- same goes for the visuals.

#16 Edited by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -
@Bionicicide said:

" @MrKlorox said:

" The engine is a minuscule addition to the filesize. The games will share assets (sounds and graphics) which take up the most space. Next to that would be the levels themselves, which seem to be what will take the extra disc space in this case (which is no different from any other game with a multiplayer component). The engine and gameplay tweaks are mere dozens of megabytes in size. " 

Really? Anyways I recall Giant Bomb say that MoH's PR were touting "2 games in 1 box" on a podcast before so I don't think they're sharing a lot of assets, especially when looking at the recycled animations DICE used from the Bf:BC series and the Bradley. "
It IS two games in one box. MW2 was three games in one box: the singleplayer, the multiplayer, the spec-ops. They just used all the same engine, as well as assets. MoH is only two games in one box using two separate engines and the same assets.

Animations are practically nothing in filesize. They're just bone position flags in sequence. That's probably less data than the character models.

And what about the Bradley? It's a tank model that closely approximates the real-life counterpart. What do you want from it?

@SPACETURTLE said:

" I've also wondered about this two engines deal. I don't know how it all will pan out in the end, but I'm at least open for it. Kinda excited about how different the SP and MP are gonna feel compared to each other. Perhaps they won't feel very different at all -- same goes for the visuals. "

You'll probably see some minor differences in lighting and LOD and stuff as byproducts of different engines, but the games are being made to represent one single product. They're bound to resembling each other with some minor degree of allowed visual difference.

However they did mention that character movement and aiming and stuff like that would feel a little different between the modes due to the way both games are being tailored to their respective gameplay styles.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.