Well - just finished MOH (no spoilers)

#1 Posted by Rewcastle (399 posts) -

Yep. Done 

It was pretty good story wise. It has it's crazy "moments", Just enough to keep it interesting. I had no idea you didn't actually play as the dude with the beard, more like fight alongside him in a couple of missions. Resulting in a dissapoiting 17% beard on the beard scale.They aimed for you to care about the characters you fight alonside - i kinda didn't. There wasnt enough interaction. Its around 5-7 hours long. Depending how you play and if you are indeed a pussy. No current stats for the pussy scale..
#2 Posted by Blueman (753 posts) -

Probably just going to rent it, seen as i have no interest in the multiplayer.

#3 Posted by Bollard (5307 posts) -

So... How's the actual gameplay? Considering the multiplayer gameplay seems a poor ripoff of BFBC trying to be COD, how did the single player handle?

#4 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -

Is there any counterpart to MW2's Spec-Ops mode? 

How varied is the single player campaign? Are you switching regularly between mission types and objectives or is it a bit more static and familiar throughout?

#5 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -

Are the graphics and audio good? I remember another user on the site saying that they were disappointing.

#6 Posted by Bollard (5307 posts) -
@Rewcastle: Bro's icing bro's?
#7 Posted by Joru (311 posts) -

Overall, do you think it's worth getting just for the singleplayer experience? How is the pacing and general feel?

#8 Posted by Hamz (6846 posts) -
@Rewcastle: I see, thanks for replying. 
#9 Posted by Sander (411 posts) -
@Rewcastle said:
" Its called Tier 1 mode. Slightly less varied as spec ops however because basically its just the single player missions which have been canned and slapped with a time limit on them."

It doesn't change the game giving you a more realistic difficulty? I began playing on Normal which was super easy and you could just run through battlefields, go up to the enemy and waste them, it was stupid. I started again on Hard and it was much better, far closer to what we see how combat actually is in real life. Really great, tense moments, fighting for survival, trying to claw your way back, measuring life 1 meter at a time.
I'm only on the 4th mission I think(the chopper gunner) but so far this single player campaign is a far more rich experience than the campaign's of any recent Call of Duty or Halo game imo.
#10 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1438 posts) -

What if we play both multiplayers but we hate MW2 multiplayer now? Because honestly a BFBC2+MW2 multiplayer sounds good right now. I like the feel of the guns in MW2 better then BFBC2 (Probably because it is closer ton infantry combat) but, honestly I cannot bring myself to play MW2 again. The people on that game has pissed me off so much.
#11 Edited by Tennmuerti (8014 posts) -
@Rewcastle said:

If its just the story you want : its a 100% rent Multiplayer: If you play both MW2 and BFBC2, do NOT buy this game for the multiplayer If you have played neither or just one of the above, you are in for a real treat "

Funnily enough I'm buying it for MP specifically because I played both MW2 and BC2 :)
#12 Posted by LOZZAT (252 posts) -

I pre-ordered this, mainly because I like the more measured style of Medal Of Honor when it comes to telling a story. (i.e. it doesn't feel like a Bond movie plus soldiers, at least in the single-player) but having heard this I think I'll play it on the hardest difficulty to get my authenticity level to around 'believable' and have a good length of time for my first play-through :P

Do you think you would replay the story missions much Rewcastle? It's just that that's what I did a lot with the Call Of Duty games (as well as the multi-player of course). How open are the levels? Is it a reeeeaaaally narrow path COD-style most of the time? Or can you go to different positions and defeat the enemy in different ways sometimes? I wish there was an FPS which was a good version of that Operation Flashpoint game that came out last year, with different missions you could choose to tackle occasionally in different orders, and an open battle-field to roam around to get the best position.

#13 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10571 posts) -

Since it's an FPS, it's probably better that you aren't the beard guy, because if you were, it'd never be on screen (sort of like not seeing Price's great facial hair in that mission you play as him in CoD4).  

I'm still not interested though. I'd rather pick up something longer (cough, Fallout New Vegas, cough) or a shooter that at least looks like it's trying to do something different (cough, Vanquish, cough). 

#14 Posted by FirePrince (1763 posts) -

Is there split-screen Co-Op of any kind?

#15 Posted by FirePrince (1763 posts) -
@Rewcastle:
Popping goat face? 
"Shivers"
#16 Posted by MisterChief (831 posts) -

I'm about half way through I would guess. This game is pretty rough. Not very polished at all.

#17 Posted by Creamypies (4052 posts) -

Is the gameplay really different between multiplayer and single player? Seeing as they were both developed by seperate people.

#18 Posted by MisterChief (831 posts) -
@Rewcastle said:
" @MooseyMcMan said:
" Since it's an FPS, it's probably better that you aren't the beard guy, because if you were, it'd never be on screen (sort of like not seeing Price's great facial hair in that mission you play as him in CoD4).   I'm still not interested though. I'd rather pick up something longer (cough, Fallout New Vegas, cough) or a shooter that at least looks like it's trying to do something different (cough, Vanquish, cough).  "
You make a very good point - however. Being able to look down halo feet style, seeing your bushy beard blowing in the Afgan wind > than you're point :)

@FirePrince said:
"

Is there split-screen Co-Op of any kind?

"

Ahhh, ze multiplayer???? Unfortunatly, no. Don't think the game could handle split screen. There is some terrible terrible texture popping as it is. Everyone look out for the popping goats face - you'll thank me later "
The goat was amazing and completely ruined a pretty cool scene otherwise. There is some of the worst pop in I have ever seen in a video game in this game. You'll think that the horizon has loaded and that it will suddenly completely change. As for the multiplayer I haven't tried it yet and from what I heard about the beta I don't really want to. Also people scream after you blow their heads off with a shotgun.
#19 Posted by EpicSteve (6479 posts) -

How did you get the game early? 

#21 Edited by MisterChief (831 posts) -

I should mention that there was a point where I couldn't progress because the AI who should have been opening a door was running into a wall. Another AI got stuck in the engine block of a truck too.

#22 Posted by DrPockets000 (2859 posts) -

I'll probably rent it.

#23 Posted by Megasoum (352 posts) -

OMG that goat was freaking creepy! And like MisterChief said, it really ruined the scene. I haven't finished the game yet but I have to say that I am really not impressed so far. The whole game is so fake and gimmicky (sp?). Too much stupid scripting moments. For example you could get to a ridge where you can't get over it until your buddy AI decide it's time to boost you up... but once you get on top, you turn around and you see the ai making the jump by itself... WTF? Why can't I do it myself in the first place? A ton of stupid little details like that that completely destroy the atmosphere and take me out of the game.  Maybe it's because I am working in the videogame industry so I will automatically see all the behind the scene stuff in a game that a normal gamer could easily miss but this is annoying. You know, I expect to see a ton of over the top and cheesy stuff in Black Ops (just like in COD4 and MW2) but at least, for me anyway, that franchise doesn't take itself seriously anymore so I can live with all the ridiculous stuff. MOH on the other hand, they are going for the full sim aspect so that make all those things stand out even more.

Also, I'm really not a graphic wh*** but wow that game looks like complete crap! And even with those subpar graphics, they can't keep a good framerate. The pre-rendered cutscenes also have a very 2007 feel to them lol. The only impressive scene I've seen so far is: 

#24 Posted by MisterChief (831 posts) -

No matter how you feel about the recent Call Of Duty games at least they are polished to all hell. This game has a terrible framerate most of the time and looks bad. It really needed another 6 months. This game is absolutely and unequivocally a poor man's Call Of Duty.

#25 Posted by emkeighcameron (1876 posts) -

Kudos to OP for being pretty neutral and telling it like-it-is. I won't be buying this full-price, that's for sure.

#26 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

Beta was pretty bad from what I played, so I was just going to rent it for the SP... Sounds like a solid rental from your experiences.

#27 Posted by TheSpartanDon (158 posts) -

Really hated the Original MP Beta for MoH, I used to be interested in the campaign but from the sounds of it's just sub-par. Plus I play games to escape reality, escaping to a war that is still going on today is somewhat counter-intutive. Plus I'm tired of the game marketing trying to make the game seem so darn pretentious.

So I'll just wait for Black Op's, after all everyone is getting Black Op's.

#28 Posted by Vitor (2812 posts) -

Does it really look that bad? I remember being impressed by their early trailers and all the video I'd seen so far - guessing that all came from the PC version then with everything cranked up to max/touched up behind the scenes?  

Also, after watching the first 15 minutes on youtube, I thought the story looked promising and possibly engaging. Guessing they failed to pull that off also?

#29 Posted by FunExplosions (5407 posts) -
@Hamz said:
" @Rewcastle: I see, thanks for replying.  "
...Wait a second...
#30 Posted by Korwin (2833 posts) -

Did Jeff Bridges make an appearance?

#31 Posted by Baillie (4041 posts) -
@FunExplosions said:
" @Hamz said:
" @Rewcastle: I see, thanks for replying.  "
...Wait a second... "
I don't get it?! 

I will be getting this game on wednesday, so far it sounded good until... the thread got more replies and now everyone hates it. I bet it isn't that bad.
#32 Posted by k4el (120 posts) -
@Rewcastle: I like your shirt. 

Hmm wise choice. The multiplayer is awsome in concept. The concept being its 50% bad company 50% COD........literally 
Sounds like an awsome idea but kinda leaves you wanting to play either cod or battlefield 
If just ONE of the games above didnt exist, it would be one of the best multiplayers ever made  

Also, reference this:  http://theoatmeal.com/comics/literally
#33 Posted by Murtaug (308 posts) -

Having not read the thread besides a couple of skimmed posts... 

If you are going at this for the single player. RENT IT. I just finished the game, just over four hours. I can not believe how damn short this was, I think it beats MW2 in shortness of campaign. 

The game had some really great moments, but damn. I actually feel a bit ripped off right now.

#34 Posted by tankintheair315 (347 posts) -
@Sander:  Funnily enough my roommate is raging at his game because he can't handle it on easy. I think I might have a roommate who is a n00b.
#35 Posted by eezo (284 posts) -
@Rewcastle said:
 Its around 5-7 hours long.
Took me somewhere between 3-4 hours according to Steam...
But the game was cool imo, i like that its more "real" in the way it portrays
war instead of going the MW2 route or should i say James Bond : Modern Warfare 2 
with it being so "extreme" all the god damned time (didn't even want to complete that
game because it was just boring imo)
#36 Posted by k4el (120 posts) -
@Rewcastle said:
" @k4el said:
" @Rewcastle: I like your shirt. 

Hmm wise choice. The multiplayer is awsome in concept. The concept being its 50% bad company 50% COD........literally 
Sounds like an awsome idea but kinda leaves you wanting to play either cod or battlefield 
If just ONE of the games above didnt exist, it would be one of the best multiplayers ever made  

Also, reference this:  http://theoatmeal.com/comics/literally "
Why thank you - best comment goes to this guy for commenting on my shirt in a MOH thread. 4 beards out of 5 "
I made it up,  I don't actually like your shirt. I do however have a beard, so I retain the beard rating.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.