Holy crap, it's begun...

#1 Posted by Zero_ (1973 posts) -

So, the ultimate conundrum has arrived... a game that I'll pay everything for has been announced for a system I'll pay nothing for.

Well played Capcom, well played...

PS: Man, can you guys believe Legends 3 is coming out!?

#2 Posted by BunkerBuster (1042 posts) -

Megaman 64 was one of the worst games ever made. Quite possible the worst game of all time. Unless the sequel was some gift of Providence I don't see why you should have any hype for this.

#3 Posted by Devil240Z (3314 posts) -

MML3 is coming? holy fuck!  

First EDF2 then this! This is my year!(of announcements)

#4 Posted by Majinken (136 posts) -
FUCK. YES.

@BunkerBuster said:
" Megaman 64 was one of the worst games ever made. Quite possible the worst game of all time. Unless the sequel was some gift of Providence I don't see why you should have any hype for this. "
Sure, I'll bite. Care to elaborate on that sterling opinion of yours? It wasn't perfect by any means, but it had heart and played well enough. It set up an excellent universe. MML2 pretty much made everything better. Most complaints I hear are about the controls, and those I never had any problem with. I personally liked them. You have to get good at jumping to really appreciate them.
#5 Posted by Zero_ (1973 posts) -
@Majinken said:
" FUCK. YES.

@BunkerBuster said:
" Megaman 64 was one of the worst games ever made. Quite possible the worst game of all time. Unless the sequel was some gift of Providence I don't see why you should have any hype for this. "
Sure, I'll bite. Care to elaborate on that sterling opinion of yours? It wasn't perfect by any means, but it had heart and played well enough. It set up an excellent universe. MML2 pretty much made everything better. Most complaints I hear are about the controls, and those I never had any problem with. I personally liked them. You have to get good at jumping to really appreciate them. "
I don't know how the 64 port was, but the PlayStation version was an charmingly excellent game. I don't think it's a game people fall in love with because of it's mechanics or anything but rather it's character, charm and fun. I think the game had some of the best voice acting of its time. 2 isn't the 'divine game' that fixes all of the previous game's problems, in fact I much prefer 1 over 2, while 2 improves on the gameplay mechanics and controls over the previous game, it loses much of the appeal and charm of the first game by doing away with the free-roaming RPG style.

I'm just a tad pissed off that it's on a handheld console - nothing against the 3DS, but a handheld system always favours more casual, pop-and-play games than fully fledged adventure games, it's just the nature of the device. Ah well... we'll see if my desire to finally close off the cliffhanger ending of Legends 2 can fuel my purchase for a 3DS...
#6 Posted by Noodles (539 posts) -

Couldn't be more stoked about MML3. Usually not a huge Megaman fan, but I love the Legends games.

#7 Posted by pepsipat1 (227 posts) -
@Zero_:
You know this is one of the signs of the apocalypse right?
#8 Posted by Shirogane (3567 posts) -

Not sure why you don't want a 3DS but... 
It's a new Megaman game, on a handheld. I love handheld Megaman.
#9 Posted by Zero_ (1973 posts) -
@PepsiPat said:
" @Zero_: You know this is one of the signs of the apocalypse right? "
Dude. I know, I know... *hugs*

@Shirogane said:
" Not sure why you don't want a 3DS but... It's a new Megaman game, on a handheld. I love handheld Megaman. "

Well, I'm not a huge fan of console-like experiences on handheld systems, like what the PSP was doing - and the recent software announcements for the 3DS are just that: SF4, MGS3, Resident Evil 5 etc...
#10 Posted by Shirogane (3567 posts) -
@Zero_ said:
" @PepsiPat said:
" @Zero_: You know this is one of the signs of the apocalypse right? "
Dude. I know, I know... *hugs*

@Shirogane said:
" Not sure why you don't want a 3DS but... It's a new Megaman game, on a handheld. I love handheld Megaman. "
Well, I'm not a huge fan of console-like experiences on handheld systems, like what the PSP was doing - and the recent software announcements for the 3DS are just that: SF4, MGS3, Resident Evil 5 etc... "

Ok, MGS3 and RE5 i can understand. I can't take RPGs on the PSP. Or Metal Gear games. 
But SF4 seems fine. And i've really enjoyed previous Megamans on the handhelds. Moreso than the console ones really.
#11 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (4777 posts) -

FUCK!
no....I don't want it to be a 3ds exclusive...why?

I have no money left for this generations game hobby, I bought the ds lite, the psp, the 360, the ps3 and the Wii. I purchased every MM game since MML2 I've been waiting for this game forever, MML is my fav MM games even over MMX...and now Its exclusive to a new system?
  Pseudo 3d makes my eyes hurt so that's one hit against 3ds in my mind, It seems like its going to be expensive, So thats another hit....why capcom? why? *I know why I should have seen it coming with the crap capcom has pulled this generation in game releases and DLC and stuff*

*cries* Truthfully this will likely make me buy a 3ds...but dammit I don't wanna I hate Pseudo 3d, I want a true current gen HD MML3 DAMMIT!

#12 Edited by Lazyaza (2176 posts) -

I loved MML 1 and 2 on playstation but hearing the third game is being made for a platform I don't intend to own makes me a sad panda.  

#13 Posted by OneKillWonder_ (1720 posts) -

Mega Man Legends 1 and 2 are some of my favorite games of all time, but making this exclusive to the 3DS is the most goddamn fucking retarded thing they could've done, and is a big slap in the face to all the people that have waited 10 years for a sequel. While I am happy that this series is finally getting another sequel, I have no interest in the 3DS and couldn't be more pissed that this is the route they are taking with the game's release.

#14 Posted by L33tfella_H (901 posts) -

Megaman Legends is fucking Primo. Glad to hear Inafune managed to convince Capcom higher-ups to give it another shot. And i think it's probably for the best it's on 3DS, i don't see the 360/PS3/Wii crowd buy into a game like that (assuming it'll be like previous entries) all that much.

#15 Posted by Liono88 (368 posts) -

Awesome more Tron Bonne and lego guys.

#16 Posted by CitizenJP (1016 posts) -

Thank the gods. I cannot wait. Seriously. This truly is amazing news. =_=

#17 Posted by RichardLOlson (1852 posts) -

Omg its the end of the world.

#18 Edited by Rockanomics (1150 posts) -

Oh snap! I just scrolled right past this on one of the news sites because I thought they were just porting the old games to the 3DS. But it's a new one!! But I'd have to buy a 3DS... and I hate handhelds... 

But DATA!!!!

#19 Posted by Devil240Z (3314 posts) -

wait... its a 3ds game? fuck that. 

Fucking fuck 3DS. Fuck handhelds. Fuck that shit. 

#20 Posted by JackSukeru (5909 posts) -

Initial reaction: FUCKING FUCK YES FUCKING YES FUCKING FUCKING YES FUCKING FUCK! 

Secondary reaction: So it's on the 3DS, that's fine. It'll still be an upgrade graphically coming from the PS1, and I love my DS.

Final reaction: Oh wait, doesn't the 3DS only have 1 analog stick and a single set of shoulder buttons? So me being confident they could easily fix all the control awkwardness from MML2 (never played 1) turned out to be presumptuous after all... 

FUUUUUUUUUUU...

#21 Posted by Hailinel (24286 posts) -
@OneKillWonder said:
"Mega Man Legends 1 and 2 are some of my favorite games of all time, but making this exclusive to the 3DS is the most goddamn fucking retarded thing they could've done, and is a big slap in the face to all the people that have waited 10 years for a sequel. While I am happy that this series is finally getting another sequel, I have no interest in the 3DS and couldn't be more pissed that this is the route they are taking with the game's release. "

Wat. 

There was never any guarantee that we'd get a third Mega Man Legends game, much less any guarantee on what platform it would be made for.  To call this move a slap in the ace of MML fans is hyperbole on the level of hysteric.
#22 Edited by OneKillWonder_ (1720 posts) -

There being no previous guarantee of the game's existence doesn't really change the fact that a lot of people have been waiting for another game in the series for a very long time, and it's not like Inafune or anyone else involved were not aware of that. The rumors of an MML3 have been going around for awhile now, and now that those rumors have seemingly come to fruition, I'm sure that many of the people anticipating it were certainly not expecting it like this.

In any case, of course I am happy that the game is finally getting made, but it's the exact same bittersweet outcome as the existence of The Third Birthday.

#23 Posted by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

God, Mega Man Legends is one of my absolute favorite games ever. I'm so happy this Capcom is finally making another Legends game. Although I never got around to playing to 2, but I guess I'll have to now to get caught up. Anyway, I was feeling very iffy about the 3DS, but this game as well as a handheld Virtual Console has nearly sold me on it. 

#24 Posted by Zero_ (1973 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @OneKillWonder said:
"Mega Man Legends 1 and 2 are some of my favorite games of all time, but making this exclusive to the 3DS is the most goddamn fucking retarded thing they could've done, and is a big slap in the face to all the people that have waited 10 years for a sequel. While I am happy that this series is finally getting another sequel, I have no interest in the 3DS and couldn't be more pissed that this is the route they are taking with the game's release. "
Wat.  There was never any guarantee that we'd get a third Mega Man Legends game, much less any guarantee on what platform it would be made for.  To call this move a slap in the ace of MML fans is hyperbole on the level of hysteric. "
Well... there wasn't a guarantee, but there was so much teasing from Capcom that would put Eva Angelina to shame. Legends characters appearing in so many games, Inafune stating for years he wanted to make it, PSP ports, saying the MT Frameworks engine was built with MML3 in mind...  

... at least we'll see more of the best character in a game ever...

#25 Edited by jakob187 (21662 posts) -

WHAT?!  It's coming out for 3DS of all things?! 

MUTHAFUCKER!!!  I loved the first two MML games, but I'm not paying $300 just to play this game. 

God...fucking...dammit. 

@BunkerBuster said:

Don't judge by the N64 version.  It was massively stripped down and not even much of the same game as the original MML on PS1.  Seriously, that game was like crack, and the sequel was even more so.

(P.S. - I don't think I've seen the word "fuck" used so much in any single thread on this website before.)
#26 Posted by Hailinel (24286 posts) -
@Zero_ said:
" @Hailinel said:
" @OneKillWonder said:
Wat.  There was never any guarantee that we'd get a third Mega Man Legends game, much less any guarantee on what platform it would be made for.  To call this move a slap in the ace of MML fans is hyperbole on the level of hysteric. "
Well... there wasn't a guarantee, but there was so much teasing from Capcom that would put Eva Angelina to shame. Legends characters appearing in so many games, Inafune stating for years he wanted to make it, PSP ports, saying the MT Frameworks engine was built with MML3 in mind...  

... at least we'll see more of the best character in a game ever...

"
But there have also been a significant number of Mega Man games on the DS, as well.  Star Force, ZX, the Mega Man Zero compilation, and so on.  All the PSP has really seen were remakes of Mega Man and Mega Man X, and all of the consoles have seen downloadable titles.  And despite any talk, the MT Framework was built with many games in mind.  It wasn't as though the engine was cooked up strictly to deliver a Mega Man title.

To be honest, Capcom could have announced Mega Man Legends 3 for any console or handheld platform, and I wouldn't have blinked.  What the 3DS provides over the others, however, is 3D technology unlike what 3D televisions provide in addition to all of the other new features and improvements over the original DS.
#27 Posted by Zero_ (1973 posts) -
@Hailinel: Dude, I don't think you get it - People aren't annoyed because it's a _Mega Man_ game on a handheld console, they're annoyed because it's a Mega man _Legends_ game on a hand held system. The Mega Man games you just listed translate well to hand held systems because of their relatively simple gameplay. Legends is a full blown RPG, with tons of cutscenes to boot. It's an experience that's much better enjoyed in the comfort of a house on a large TV, rather than be confined to a small screen and cramped controllers. It's the same reason why people don't go into an RPG like FF3 on the DS with the same expectations as FFXIII on the PS3/360. Same reason why people were annoyed at Valkryie Chronicles making a switch from the PS3 to PSP. 

Not saying Legends 3 won't be a great game on the 3DS, it's just the potential for a fully sick experience on a hi-def home console has just been lost.
#28 Edited by Rockdalf (1274 posts) -
@Zero_ said:

" @Hailinel: Dude, I don't think you get it - People aren't annoyed because it's a _Mega Man_ game on a handheld console, they're annoyed because it's a Mega man _Legends_ game on a hand held system. The Mega Man games you just listed translate well to hand held systems because of their relatively simple gameplay. Legends is a full blown RPG, with tons of cutscenes to boot. It's an experience that's much better enjoyed in the comfort of a house on a large TV, rather than be confined to a small screen and cramped controllers. It's the same reason why people don't go into an RPG like FF3 on the DS with the same expectations as FFXIII on the PS3/360. Same reason why people were annoyed at Valkryie Chronicles making a switch from the PS3 to PSP.  Not saying Legends 3 won't be a great game on the 3DS, it's just the potential for a fully sick experience on a hi-def home console has just been lost. "

There are so many holes in that metaphor I'm not even going to bother comparison. 

Regardless, good or bad, it's too early to make that judgement, but if the fact is I have to buy a 3ds to play this game. . .  I guess I better start saving toward a 3ds. 

And I'd just told myself I wouldn't buy one. 

Edit: P.S. Sony: I know you're afraid of money and success, but why don't you take a risk and put the two out on PSN store please?  I'd pay 25.00 for the pair easily.
#29 Posted by Hailinel (24286 posts) -
@Zero_ said:
" @Hailinel: Dude, I don't think you get it - People aren't annoyed because it's a _Mega Man_ game on a handheld console, they're annoyed because it's a Mega man _Legends_ game on a hand held system. The Mega Man games you just listed translate well to hand held systems because of their relatively simple gameplay. Legends is a full blown RPG, with tons of cutscenes to boot. It's an experience that's much better enjoyed in the comfort of a house on a large TV, rather than be confined to a small screen and cramped controllers. It's the same reason why people don't go into an RPG like FF3 on the DS with the same expectations as FFXIII on the PS3/360. Same reason why people were annoyed at Valkryie Chronicles making a switch from the PS3 to PSP.  Not saying Legends 3 won't be a great game on the 3DS, it's just the potential for a fully sick experience on a hi-def home console has just been lost. "
But who's annoyed?  I mean, other than you.  I'm sure that there are a lot of Mega Man Legends fans that are just as excited for it as you are put off.
#30 Posted by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

The first legends was hard as fuck but I really liked it. Never even knew there was a second and now a third. Wow

#31 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

3DS makes perfect sense. What the hell advantage would you get from the 360 considering how the game looked? Legends is as much an RPG as Crisis Core. In fact, it has a ton in common with Crisis Core, and Crisis Core worked just fine on a portable.

#32 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

This makes me so happy, I just don't even know what to say.
#33 Posted by Zero_ (1973 posts) -
@Zero_ said:
" So, the ultimate conundrum has arrived... a game that I'll pay everything for has been announced for a system I'll pay nothing for.  Well played Capcom, well played... "
So... I just put down a pre-order for a 3DS, fucking hell.
#34 Edited by jakob187 (21662 posts) -

I'm still debating getting a 3DS for this shit.

#35 Posted by Zero_ (1973 posts) -
#36 Posted by FateOfNever (1826 posts) -

I didn't even know there was a MML2.  That fact alone kind of surprises me, MML wasn't exactly a well received game after all.  I tried playing MML again recently, actually, and then I got to the first point in the game where I could save and found out I didn't have enough space on the memory card, so stopped, and haven't tried it again since then.  I would be more interested in MML3 though if it weren't on the 3DS.  Nothing against the 3DS, but, MML doesn't really seem like a game that I would want to play on a hand held.

#37 Posted by Zero_ (1973 posts) -
@FateOfNever said:
" I didn't even know there was a MML2.  That fact alone kind of surprises me, MML wasn't exactly a well received game after all.  I tried playing MML again recently, actually, and then I got to the first point in the game where I could save and found out I didn't have enough space on the memory card, so stopped, and haven't tried it again since then.  I would be more interested in MML3 though if it weren't on the 3DS.  Nothing against the 3DS, but, MML doesn't really seem like a game that I would want to play on a hand held. "
I think it being released in a weird technological time hampered Legends a lot. I remember a lot of the criticisms was simply down to "But Mega man shouldn't be in 3D!".  But there was a lot of heart and characterization to be experienced for the people who played through it.
 Yeah, there was a MML2 released that technically, plays a lot better than MML and has better mechanics - but was stripped of many of its RPG elements (like, walking around anywhere etc.).  
But yes, definitely agree with you on MML being on a handheld too weird. A lot of people would much prefer it on a console, but hey, we're _actually_ getting MML3 (which is all the more important if you've played 'till the ending of MML2 and the 10 years we had to wait for it). 

Okay, looks like the whole not-being-green-lit thing may not be true... don't know what the developers are saying, but there's a playable build of it coming out soon in Japan...  http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/03/04/capcom_3ds_demo_event/
#38 Posted by Anupsis (289 posts) -

We are very lucky to be getting MML3 at all so be happy its on any system at all.

#39 Posted by xyzygy (9936 posts) -

This is awesome. I have MML2 on backlog and loved the shit out of MM64.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.