Mega Man Legends 3 Is Dead

• 132 results
Posted by Alex (2380 posts) -

One cannot help but get the impression that Capcom isn't super into Mega Man these days. After cancelling Mega Man Universe back in March, all that was left on the franchise's development docket was Mega Man Legends 3, a 3DS sequel to the long-dormant Mega Man Legends action RPG series propelled heavily by community input.

Awww, I miss Servbot... =(

Today, Capcom threw a goose into that propeller, as it officially put the kibosh on the entire project. According to the company's official blog entry, "it was not felt [by Capcom management] that the Mega Man Legends 3 Project met the required criteria" to go into full production. Both the full game, and the Prototype version, have been entirely shelved.

Since the sequel was announced last year, Capcom had been taking feedback from enthusiastic community members on the content of the game. The Prototype version of the game was even planned for launch with the 3DS e-shop back in June. When that didn't happen, that probably should have been our first clue that something was amiss. Actually, come to think of it, series creator Keiji Inafune's departure from Capcom (and the project) back in November probably should have been our first hint (even though the blog entry proclaims that Inafune's departure had nothing to do with the cancellation). So, really, we had two hints. We really are thick-headed sometimes.

This latest cancellation does seem to leave the Mega Man brand between a Rock(man) and a Hard (Man) place. Capcom has nothing announced for the foreseeable future, leaving fans of the little blue robot boy bereft of anything to look forward to. Capcom's FAQ does state that, "Mega Man is still an important franchise within Capcom’s portfolio and we will continue to pursue opportunities to create new titles in the series," but exactly how long we'll have to wait for them to "pursue" those "opportunities" remains unknown.

Now excuse me as I pull out my copy of Mega Man 2 and sob uncontrollably for the remainder of the day.

#1 Posted by Alex (2380 posts) -

One cannot help but get the impression that Capcom isn't super into Mega Man these days. After cancelling Mega Man Universe back in March, all that was left on the franchise's development docket was Mega Man Legends 3, a 3DS sequel to the long-dormant Mega Man Legends action RPG series propelled heavily by community input.

Awww, I miss Servbot... =(

Today, Capcom threw a goose into that propeller, as it officially put the kibosh on the entire project. According to the company's official blog entry, "it was not felt [by Capcom management] that the Mega Man Legends 3 Project met the required criteria" to go into full production. Both the full game, and the Prototype version, have been entirely shelved.

Since the sequel was announced last year, Capcom had been taking feedback from enthusiastic community members on the content of the game. The Prototype version of the game was even planned for launch with the 3DS e-shop back in June. When that didn't happen, that probably should have been our first clue that something was amiss. Actually, come to think of it, series creator Keiji Inafune's departure from Capcom (and the project) back in November probably should have been our first hint (even though the blog entry proclaims that Inafune's departure had nothing to do with the cancellation). So, really, we had two hints. We really are thick-headed sometimes.

This latest cancellation does seem to leave the Mega Man brand between a Rock(man) and a Hard (Man) place. Capcom has nothing announced for the foreseeable future, leaving fans of the little blue robot boy bereft of anything to look forward to. Capcom's FAQ does state that, "Mega Man is still an important franchise within Capcom’s portfolio and we will continue to pursue opportunities to create new titles in the series," but exactly how long we'll have to wait for them to "pursue" those "opportunities" remains unknown.

Now excuse me as I pull out my copy of Mega Man 2 and sob uncontrollably for the remainder of the day.

#2 Posted by Mijati (949 posts) -

Well that sucks.

#3 Posted by Jolt92 (1579 posts) -

God. Fucking. Dammit.

#4 Posted by Mayu_Zane (620 posts) -

WHAT.

#5 Posted by CyleMoore (495 posts) -

What a bunch of assholes.  I have a feeling they will never make a Mega Man game again since Inafune left.

#6 Posted by Mr_Faraday (241 posts) -

i was so excited for this dammit.
#7 Posted by IClavdivs (72 posts) -

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Ok.

#8 Posted by mrangryface (776 posts) -

Infinite Sadness :(

That said, I say we petition Capcom for L1 & 2 and Misadventures of Tron Bonne as PSONE CLASSICS ON PSN LETS DO THIS!!!!

#9 Posted by Mesoian (1574 posts) -
#10 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

*laughs maliciously*

#11 Posted by Seraphim84 (415 posts) -

The backlash of this is gonna be huge. Unless Inafune starts his own company and makes Lega Lan Megends, we'll never see another chapter of dear ol Volnutt.

#12 Posted by crithon (3441 posts) -

you know what hurts the most, rewatching the trailer and seeing those 8 servbots on the bike. Damn.

#13 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

I'm alright.

#14 Posted by RobertOrri (1152 posts) -

This fucking sucks gonads.

#15 Posted by Skooky (479 posts) -

Why did Inafune have to give us hope and then immediately bail?

#16 Posted by punpun (232 posts) -
@mrangryface said:

That said, I say we petition Capcom for L1 & 2 and Misadventures of Tron Bonne as PSONE CLASSICS ON PSN LETS DO THIS!!!!

This seriously needs to happen. 

The games coming out on PSN I mean, not the petition. :)
#17 Posted by Sammo21 (3524 posts) -

Capcom, once again proving they have no idea how to handle their shit.

#18 Posted by DrJota (701 posts) -
@Mesoian: Someone call Fire Man!Wait,don't!
#19 Posted by digitaldiatribe (77 posts) -

Profound sadness.

#20 Edited by ikabubu (206 posts) -

WHAT??? 

I should've known they'd shelf it the moment Inafune hit the trail. I had faith they'd go forward with it after all the work, not to mention fan input, they've put into it. It looked like a full-working game, even if it was a working concept and prototype. It's such a shame and a waste. 

I still remember the time when James Mielke (when he was still @1UP) interviewed Inafune with stats from Mielke's blog about how many people wanted to see a Legends 3. I was stoked and surprised that Inafune even went ahead and started the project despite his vague answer during the interview. 

Personally, Megaman Legends has a special place in my heart. It was a quaint and charming universe, and I was quite taken with the Metroid-esque ruin exploration. Not to mention: Legends 2 has one hell of a cliff-hanger. Here I thought I'd get an ending and a proper excuse to go back to that universe.

What a damn shame. This just breaks my heart.

#21 Edited by mrangryface (776 posts) -

They wont come to PSN- they'll just re-release Ford Racing as a PSOne classic and laugh

WOULDA BEEN AWESOME, CAPCOM :/
#22 Posted by fazzle (308 posts) -

Mega Man has become has irrelevant as Sonic when it comes to video game franchises.  Sonic is due to the flat out horrible nature of their games, while Mega Man is due to the fact that it seemed like there were 10 new MM games coming out every year. 

Maybe a few years off will help the franchise rebound.

#23 Posted by Kraznor (1588 posts) -

Did "Mega Man 10" not sell that well? I bought it, still haven 't played it though.

#24 Posted by makari (600 posts) -

This is what happens when you give the internets input and insight to a games development

#25 Posted by AuthenticM (3802 posts) -

Mega Man X9. Do it!

#26 Posted by Andyman067 (26 posts) -

You know what else fails to meet criteria? CAPCOM.

#27 Posted by rmanthorp (4054 posts) -

This sucks.

#28 Posted by Jeffk38uk (719 posts) -

Shame really as it looked alright actually.

#29 Posted by coryrx8 (174 posts) -

I have an idea: how about canceling that horrid DMC reboot instead, and giving the funding to MML3? Seriously, Dmc looks like a PS2 game!

#30 Posted by theQman121 (83 posts) -

Mega Man is dead. Long live Mega Man. 

This  game would have made the 3DS worth it for me. Here's to hope a proper sequel actually is made in my lifetime.

#31 Posted by louiedog (2335 posts) -

I guess it's harder to get $200 from every customer with DLC and rereleases on the 3DS.

#32 Posted by PerfidiousSinn (770 posts) -

"it was not felt [by Capcom management] that the Mega Man Legends 3 Project met the required criteria"

So basically, they couldn't find a way to milk it with overpriced DLC and multiple re-releases.

#33 Edited by TadThuggish (912 posts) -

So what we're saying is that the big Japanese publishers are lazy once more.

It's okay though, Capcom can still put the Twins in fighting games and rerelease Resident Evil 4.

#34 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1286 posts) -

I will admit I was way more hyped for Universe than Legends 3 ( I never had a PS1 and thus missed out on the Legends Phenom) 
but this is bad no matter how you slice it. Capcom is only going to make cross over fighters from now on and I will weep!

#35 Posted by EuanDewar (5098 posts) -

I don't even know what this is.

Sorry, was.

#36 Posted by Echo (391 posts) -

Oh nooooo ):

#37 Posted by CptBedlam (4457 posts) -

@sammo21 said:

Capcom, once again proving they have no idea how to handle their shit.

Pretty much.

#38 Posted by pakattak (210 posts) -

@mrangryface said:

Apparently the reason why this hasn't happened yet is because of copyright issues with the now defunct company that handled the voice work and localization.

THIS STILL NEEDS TO HAPPEN.

#39 Posted by CharAznable (795 posts) -

That's a bummer. I was never into the Legends series, but I'm a big Mega Man fan in general. Between this and the cancellation of Universe, the future is looking pretty grim for the Blue Bomber. Profound sadness, indeed.

Well, MM9 and 10 are still fantastic games, and Endless Attack will always be a challenge for me.

#40 Posted by Cameron (607 posts) -

You guys seem to be missing the possibility that the game was terrible. If everything fell apart when Inafune left, then the game might be too far gone to pump more money into it. Capcom isn't going to put out a terrible game that could ruin one of their oldest brands.

Another possibility is that they didn't think it would sell. I can't even remember the last retail Mega Man release that got any sort of buzz. Other than people on message boards, who make up a very, very small percentage of the game buying public, I haven't heard a lot about Mega Man for a long time.

My point is that Capcom probably had a good reason for cancelling this. If they thought it would be good and would make them money, they would have released it.

#41 Posted by NL_Buddha (57 posts) -

I was so excited for both games and now my day was just saddened by this news!! Show some originality camcom and keep these original ideas alive.

#42 Posted by JackSukeru (5963 posts) -

I'm keeping my promise of boycotting your games if you cancelled Legends, Capcom.

I'm sewius!
#43 Posted by Dan_CiTi (3508 posts) -

So they're trying to piss off Mega Man fans? Ah ok. 

#44 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Fuckin typical.

#45 Posted by BlazeHedgehog (1102 posts) -

So Capcom's kind of screwed, right? This seems like the biggest bridge they've ever burned. What else do they have left?

Lots of people are on the fence about Ninja Theory's DmC. Though I thought Dragon's Dogma looked great, hands on impressions are sounding pretty sketchy. Asura's Wrath is apparently 90% QTEs. Dead Rising 2 is literally just them recycling a nearly two year old game with a new playable character.  On top of that, they've chased off an extraordinary amount of their most visionary creators.

This is it for them, isn't it? Or at least, this is it for MegaMan? That's two MegaMan games canceled in a row, from a franchise that used to be their primary bread-winner. 

#46 Posted by kollay (1939 posts) -

Well, fuck.

#47 Posted by JakeLogan (221 posts) -

Why in the world would they do that, old chap? 

"It's quite simple Rufus - they can't hate us to death, so they're going for second best"

#48 Posted by SDHero (46 posts) -

I kinda had a feeling this was coming ever since Inafune left. While 'Legends 3' is the Mega Man game I'd most like to see made, I'd honestly rather they put the character out to pasture without Inafune around if they don't have any interest in continuing the games on their own. At the end of the day, Mega Man has a pretty damn great legacy of titles to his name, and I'd rather see him used more sparingly now that Inafune's left Capcom than see a rash of half-assed, half-baked or otherwise less-than-good Mega Man games just to try and cash in on the legacy.

In other news, Capcom continues to need to figure out just what the fuck they are about.

#49 Posted by CitizenJP (1049 posts) -

woooow ur cool capcom...not.

#50 Posted by kagato (958 posts) -

@BlazeHedgehog said:

So Capcom's kind of screwed, right? This seems like the biggest bridge they've ever burned. What else do they have left? Lots of people are on the fence about Ninja Theory's DmC. Though I thought Dragon's Dogma looked great, hands on impressions are sounding pretty sketchy. Asura's Wrath is apparently 90% QTEs. Dead Rising 2 is literally just them recycling a nearly two year old game with a new playable character. On top of that, they've chased off an extraordinary amount of their most visionary creators.This is it for them, isn't it? Or at least, this is it for MegaMan? That's two MegaMan games canceled in a row, from a franchise that used to be their primary bread-winner.

I love Capcom to death but i think youve hit the nail on the head, i think now its just a race between them and Square to see who can reach rock bottom first.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.