Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mega Man

Character » appears in 81 games

Created by Keiji Inafune, Mega Man is a highly advanced robot in the shape of a young boy. He is the main male character of the Mega Man series by Capcom.

Want to watch me play Mega Man 1?

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Update: I've been having some issues with my recording software, I'm currently trying to find something that won't get out of sync more and more as I play, I've tried about three programs already. I've got videos of me beating 4 of the remaining 5 boss levels, but the audio is either nonexistent or crappily synced. I'm workin' on it.

So I decided to play Mega Man 1 a bit tonight. I've been playing a lot of ten, and I haven't played the first one in such a long time that I can hardly remember anything about the game. Which weapon beats which boss, level layouts, boss strategies, nothing. So In my infinite wisdom I decided to record it and upload it to youtube. So if anyone wants to see what the original Mega Man for what might as well be the first time is like, I have answered you prayers. I died a few times before working out a strategy, and then started recording.

Notice how my very fist attempt results in me dying while the boss has one bar of health.   Also of note, if you skip to 1:57 you can see me kill the boss, but get hit by a shot which was still on the screen and die anyway. Harsh.

The original Mega Man is very prototypical. Similar to Mega Man 2, Mega Man does not stop on a dime in this game. He will slide a bit when you stop running, just the tiniest bit but enough to kill you for sure. It also has slowdown issues. Things like water and having too much on the screen slow it down pretty bad. Lots of NES games have some slowdown, but it's bad enough to mention here.

This game is balls hard. Way harder than any other game in the series. It's on the Ninja Gaiden and Castlevania 3 level of hard. I'm not going to play it without a fairly liberal use of savestates, because frankly it's just too hard for it's own good sometimes. Bosses typically kill you in 4 hits or less. Disappearing blocks are a Mega Man staple, but they are just dicks about it in this game. It took me way too long to figure out a workable method of which block to jump on when, and pulling it off is still hard once you've got your strategy down. There are floating platforms that have insane, erratic patterns that take ages to make heads or tails of.

Play too many Mega Man games, too often and too close to each other, and you start to notice weird stuff. Like that when running one direction, it takes one frame to change directions, and that can be cancelled out by shooting in MM2, but not 3. I thought I was experiencing controller lag when playing MM3 because I got so used to turning and shooting in one smooth motion. You actually have to delay the shot by a frame or he will shoot while facing the wrong direction during that one frame.

I'll probably be putting some more videos up in this post later. Stay tuned...
    Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Update: I've been having some issues with my recording software, I'm currently trying to find something that won't get out of sync more and more as I play, I've tried about three programs already. I've got videos of me beating 4 of the remaining 5 boss levels, but the audio is either nonexistent or crappily synced. I'm workin' on it.

So I decided to play Mega Man 1 a bit tonight. I've been playing a lot of ten, and I haven't played the first one in such a long time that I can hardly remember anything about the game. Which weapon beats which boss, level layouts, boss strategies, nothing. So In my infinite wisdom I decided to record it and upload it to youtube. So if anyone wants to see what the original Mega Man for what might as well be the first time is like, I have answered you prayers. I died a few times before working out a strategy, and then started recording.

Notice how my very fist attempt results in me dying while the boss has one bar of health.   Also of note, if you skip to 1:57 you can see me kill the boss, but get hit by a shot which was still on the screen and die anyway. Harsh.

The original Mega Man is very prototypical. Similar to Mega Man 2, Mega Man does not stop on a dime in this game. He will slide a bit when you stop running, just the tiniest bit but enough to kill you for sure. It also has slowdown issues. Things like water and having too much on the screen slow it down pretty bad. Lots of NES games have some slowdown, but it's bad enough to mention here.

This game is balls hard. Way harder than any other game in the series. It's on the Ninja Gaiden and Castlevania 3 level of hard. I'm not going to play it without a fairly liberal use of savestates, because frankly it's just too hard for it's own good sometimes. Bosses typically kill you in 4 hits or less. Disappearing blocks are a Mega Man staple, but they are just dicks about it in this game. It took me way too long to figure out a workable method of which block to jump on when, and pulling it off is still hard once you've got your strategy down. There are floating platforms that have insane, erratic patterns that take ages to make heads or tails of.

Play too many Mega Man games, too often and too close to each other, and you start to notice weird stuff. Like that when running one direction, it takes one frame to change directions, and that can be cancelled out by shooting in MM2, but not 3. I thought I was experiencing controller lag when playing MM3 because I got so used to turning and shooting in one smooth motion. You actually have to delay the shot by a frame or he will shoot while facing the wrong direction during that one frame.

I'll probably be putting some more videos up in this post later. Stay tuned...
    fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By fugie7

man you must of had really good patients at that game, because  if i  had to do it 3 to 4 times over again i would of thrown it at something or just turn it off. then play it again some other time when i am good or ready. but anyways good job!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.