New Mega Man Game Announced

#1 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4686 posts) -

Before you get too excited, it's an iOS "game."

http://www.themmnetwork.com/2012/08/15/new-mega-man-game-rockman-x-cross-over-announced-for-ios/

It's called Megaman Xover. That's a clever play on Crossover. All the different Megaman timelines and offshoots and blah blah have converged into one thanks to Dr. Wily and Sigma. You get to make your own Megaman to customize and shit... and... kill robots... and...

Ugh, it's a fucking iOS game. Capcom to be completely out of touch in regards to Megaman, the fandom, and what they want/will sell. This will be a massive flop, and they'll say it just proves Megaman is irrelevant, rather than taking the hint that they don't know what they're doing with the franchise.

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

New Mega Man game cancelled.

#3 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

HYPE HYPE HYPE.....nevermind.

#4 Posted by Hailinel (24255 posts) -

Mega Man Xover

Mega Man's Over?

Oh fuck.

#5 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4894 posts) -

2d platforming can be done, it's just really hard. League of Evil comes to mind. I'd rather have it on a console but it could be okay.

#6 Posted by adam1808 (1425 posts) -

So now I'm sitting here wondering why I cared enough about Mega Man to click on this post in the first place.

#7 Edited by falserelic (5394 posts) -

IOS game? yay I guess....

#8 Posted by JackSukeru (5907 posts) -

I automatically hate the thread creator and everyone who has posted in the thread so far!

Also: (considering mega man's current status)

sounds about right.

#9 Posted by falserelic (5394 posts) -

@RockmanBionics said:

I automatically hate the thread creator and everyone who has posted in the thread so far!

Also: (considering mega man's current status)

sounds about right.

But you posted on this too.

#10 Posted by Demoskinos (14710 posts) -

They are just shitting on mega man's corpse at this point.

#11 Posted by RE_Player1 (7557 posts) -

Man that sucks.

#12 Edited by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

That looks poor... and apparently it's not a platformer. And iOs... geez Capcom wtf are you doing?

#13 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@CptBedlam said:

And iOs... geez Konami wtf are you doing?

Making Metal Gear games because this has nothing to do with them?

#14 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

@RockmanBionics said:

Come at me bro.

#15 Posted by WJist (313 posts) -

Thanks for reminding me about MML3 and Megaman Universe :( :( :(

#16 Posted by Rafaelfc (1324 posts) -

why isn't there a XBLA/PSN megaman collection like megaman 1 through 7 or something like that??

*sadface*

#17 Posted by Aronleon (752 posts) -

Oh for fuck sake really!? Its a dark time to be a Mega Man fan.

#18 Posted by JackSukeru (5907 posts) -

@falserelic: No Exceptions!

@Guided_By_Tigers: You have to sleep sometime!

#19 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

There's an AutoPlay button. I love this game already.

#20 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

I thought Mega Man was already declared dead and has been buried.

#21 Posted by The_Tolman (430 posts) -

I dont want a Mega Man ios game =(

#22 Posted by Phatmac (5723 posts) -

Better than dead I suppose. Or maybe this is like pissing on a dead grave. Either way let the IOS hate begin!

#23 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

Yeah, I'm just going to pronounce this game "Megaman's Over". Those XBLA Megaman games were great. Sad to see this turn of events.

#24 Posted by CptBedlam (4449 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@CptBedlam said:

And iOs... geez Konami wtf are you doing?

Making Metal Gear games because this has nothing to do with them?

Oops, brain fart ;)

#25 Posted by believer258 (11771 posts) -

Yeah, this is really stupid on Capcom's part. But then, Capcom isn't too well-known for their intelligence.

#26 Posted by demell (10 posts) -

Considering the rapid pace at which iOS games are developing, why is this such a bad thing??? Would it not be appropriate to bring in an entirely new generation of video gamers that are buying iPhones, iPads, and iPods by the bushel right now? Get enough promise in the character that a true new game (dare I say a reboot at this point given the time since a MegaMan game was truly relevant to players and anyone that has a concept of the story/canon) can be done in earnest.

iOS games are not inherently bad. The Mass Effect game was awesome and I've read positive reviews on The Dark Knight Rises game. This form of gaming is maturing rapidly and more and more of the gaming industry has even stated iOS and similar gaming is going to become a staple of the industry in the years to come both to put out quick games to more casual players but also to showcase franchises and new ideas.

The times they are a changing.

#27 Posted by Arker101 (1474 posts) -
#28 Posted by Shaka999 (464 posts) -

I thought it looked alright, but that skip button... yesh. I feel bad for you megaman fans, hopefully they've got something else in the works and this isn't the end as we know it.

#29 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

@demell: They cancelled Mega Man games people actually wanted, then came up with this... thing. It wouldn't be so heinous if Mega Man Legends 3 and Universe still existed.

#30 Edited by Alkaiser (358 posts) -

The art looks like something from newgrounds circa 2005. But hey, if they put it out for a dollar it would probably sell decent. And are they really going to use Megaman for anything else anyways? It hurts for me to say, but they'll probably never make another full-fledged Megaman game so who cares what they do at this point. They don't sell the numbers that Capcom wants and they still have bad blood with Keiji Inafune. Even if they thought a game would sell a couple million at the most spite can be a pretty powerful thing.

#31 Posted by TheHT (11077 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

New Mega Man game cancelled.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

#32 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

Hahaha man it's crazy what mwgaman has become

#33 Posted by kogasu (148 posts) -

Wow, I'm not even a huge Mega Man fan and I got all hyped on the thread title.... then I clicked it... Another shitty move by Capcom. Poor Mega Man and its fans.

#34 Posted by FateOfNever (1821 posts) -

@Rafaelfc said:

why isn't there a XBLA/PSN megaman collection like megaman 1 through 7 or something like that??

*sadface*

Considering that there's a Mega Man Anniversary Collection (1-8) and Mega Man X Collection (X-X6) on the PS2 and Game Cube, and this year is the 25th anniversary of Mega Man, and those games could probably just be put, at the very least, on the PSN store, that's a really good question.

#35 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

If they just re-released Mega Man 2, I'd buy it. Even if it was for iOS.

#36 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

SO when do they release the Ultimate version of this game then the arcade version? 

#37 Posted by Von (328 posts) -

Meh.. I expected a port of Battle Network, because that game would actually fit quite well with the iOS devices. It didn't require precision/timed jumps and quick controls etc like the other Mega Man games did. (Heck, they could even get greedy with it and offer battlecards as IAP...)

#38 Posted by BoG (5187 posts) -

So, what is this game? It looks... odd. I've only realy been able to find out that it's some sort of RPG. It has an autoplay button?

I won't buy it. I don't have a iPhone, but if I did, I still wouldn't buy it.

#39 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

Capcom's fucking hilarious.

#40 Posted by Superkenon (1407 posts) -

That may be the fastest I've ever gone from 'interested' to 'completely indifferent'.

#41 Posted by ThePhantomStranger (354 posts) -

@FateOfNever said:

@Rafaelfc said:

*sadface*

Considering that there's a Mega Man Anniversary Collection (1-8) and Mega Man X Collection (X-X6) on the PS2 and Game Cube, and this year is the 25th anniversary of Mega Man, and those games could probably just be put, at the very least, on the PSN store, that's a really good question.

You can have a comic crossover with sonic...

On the upside it's a Mega Man comic that's gotten high critical acclaim and sounds like it's better then most mainstream comics coming out. So in the very least Mega Man fans have what seems to be a pretty fucking rad comic...

#42 Edited by Chaser324 (6389 posts) -

Wow! Looks pretty awful. I'm trying to guess from the buttons and UI at how the game plays, and I get the feeling this might be yet another Canabalt style running game where Mega Man is constantly running to the right and you just jump or shoot.

I'll also go ahead and assume that "customize your own Mega Man" == "microtransactions".

#43 Posted by DeF (4846 posts) -

what is so hard about putting this game up on PSN for Vita and the 3DS eShop?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.