Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mega Man

Franchise »

The Mega Man (known in Japan as Rockman) franchise covers a large number of action games from the core series and several offshoots, including Mega Man X, Mega Man Battle Network, and even one-offs like Mega Man Soccer or Mega Man Battle & Chase.

The Big Mega Man Rundown, Part 1

Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

Edited By Sarumarine

Mega Man 10 came out a few weeks ago making the classic series finally hit double digits. When it starts up, it has a full list of the Mega Man series from No.1 to No.10 and the years they were released. I realized that I have been playing Mega Man games for a long, long time. The first one I ever played was Mega Man 3 on a friend's NES. The first one I ever bought (or more like my parents bought) was Mega Man 2. I was big into robots when I was really young and seeing the next set of "Man" designs was a real treat. Knowing the cold hard fact that there are ten of these games is funny and awesome all rolled up into one. Ten is a nice round number so I wanted to collect my thoughts as I go through each one and measure them with what I know now. 

Mega Man (released 1987)

Dude, he's on fire
     Dude, he's on fire
                 I never started this series with the first game and I'm really glad I didn't because the first Mega Man is terrible. I had this same reaction after playing Super Metroid and then wanted to go back and play Metroid on the NES. A lot of the problems with this game comes from the fact that it isn't made very well. All you have to do is play Ice Man's stage with the flying platforms that shoot at you to understand what you're up against. The screen flickers because it can't handle the action and you end up phasing through the flying platforms if you get hit. Or play Guts Man's stage and wrestle with the platforms that ride on rails and dump you at the worst possible moments. As an added bonus, spikes can kill you even as you're flashing. The animations for the bosses are probably only two or three frames (attack, not attack, move) and if you manage to play long enough to reach Dr. Wily's castle, the Yellow Devil will eat your soul (unless you glitch his ass, fair play as far as I'm concerned). Since I played 2 way before I ever got around to playing 1, I should have seen this coming. Still I was curious what I missed. Things this game did do well is the boss select concept allowing you to play in the order you want, and the hideously awesome cover art. I still have the NES cartridge of Mega Man in a shoebox along with my still functioning NES. I beat this game once and never touched it again.  

My favorite robot master from this game is Fire Man. I intend to make the captions on pictures as cheesy as possible in honor of the cover art. Bad is good, baby. 

Mega Man 2 (released in 1988)

Mega Man 2 was my very first Mega Man game when I got an NES. It came loaded with eight robot masters, awesome music, decent game play, and could actually handle the action it was dishing out. We had this game at my daycare and took turns playing it to death. Nearly everyone started with Metal Man so his stage music is permanently stuck in my brain along with the clown robot that rides the gear and tries to steamroll you. The other part of this game I will never forget is the gargantuan pit right before Heat Man that you can only navigate by jumping across goddamn disappearing and reappearing blocks. The kids at my daycare nicknamed it the "Duh Duh Blocks" after the sound effect when they blink in and out of the wall. I always skipped it by using Item 2 (Rush Jet before Rush Jet). The only time I actually tried to jump across using the blocks was after the Mega Man Anniversary Collection came out for the PS2. Bubble Man sucked, Flash Man's music was the shit, and Dr. Wily turned into an alien at the end of the game (but not really).  

Still pretty cool 
    Still pretty cool 
    There are also a lot of things about this game that I don't share with what I see on the internet and hear from other people. Air Man (contrary to the popular song) was hardly a blip on the radar. Quick Man was the "hardest" robot master in my circle of friends. Also, the Dragon Robot boss in Dr. Wily's first stage is a total joke to beat. Stand on top block, fire Quick Boomerang, get hit and fall down to middle block, jump back up to top block, repeat. The Security System Boss in the third stage was the hardest fortress boss. I didn't learn until years later that you can kill it with the Crash Bomb without running short on energy if you put bombs in just the right place. It's actually really cool that people can play the same game and get a totally different vibe from it. I'm sure there are plenty of things people can't share with me when talking about Mega Man.  

Oddly enough my favorite robot master from MM2 is Air Man. I liked his design and his stage music was really catchy. Not to mention, his power can kill that jumping lunatic Crash Man in one hit if you're lucky.

Mega Man 3 (released 1990)

He will, he will, shock you
    Yes! This is one of my favorite Mega Man games ever. This is the standard I hold other Mega Man games up to. I couldn't tell you how crushed I was when I heard Mega Man 9 was going to be based on 2. When Mega Man 3 introduced slide, it was mind blowing. I spent the better half of this game just sliding around like an idiot. Slide to pick up that energy pellet. Slide to get to that ladder. Slide across the room. Slide because I just wanna. Not to mention 3 has some of the more memorable robot masters. Top Man, Snake Man, Needle Man, etc. Gemini Man was always considered "Mr. Cool" among my friends for some unspoken reason. And don't forget Hard Man. I was probably immature as a kid, but even I was like "Really? Hard Man? C'mon!" There are so many great music tracks and most of them in Dr. Wily's castle. Stage 1 in MM3 beats out Stage 1 in MM2 in my opinion. Plus the boss music for Dr. Wily is one of the greatest ever. But the real reason this game is so great is because it's practically two games in one. I'm talking about the Doc Bots. 

It's always hard to recapture the first time you do or see something incredible. But after beating the eight robot masters of MM3 and seeing the funky Doc Bots show up, it was something else. The stages got harder and changed a bit but nothing was quite as awesome as fighting all the robot masters from MM2 again. Holy shit. It was so incredible. At least it was incredible until I realized that Quick Man was back. Then I killed him and things were incredible again. The only things that didn't work so well with the Doc Bot stages was the level design. In Needle Man's stage, if you played through the bottomless pit section with Rush Jet and died somewhere near the end, the strategically placed energy pellets that let you refill Rush's energy didn't respawn, so you couldn't make it unless you got a game over and restarted the stage. Or maybe if you got incredibly lucky drops after killing enemies. Repeat playthroughs made the Doc Bot section a little taxing, so memorizing the code to go straight to Dr. Wily's castle was gold back then. Mega Man 3 is awesome.

My favorite robot master from MM3 is Spark Man, mostly because his expression when he tosses his ball of electricity is hilarious. 

Mega Man 4 (released in 1991)

Dust Man has exactly one fan
    Mega Man 4 is something of an odd duck. There's just something about it. It's nothing to do with the game play. The introduction of a charge shot was completely awesome . . . but I don't know. Maybe I'm just not digging the whole Red Scare/Russian vibe that runs through the whole thing. The robot masters are okay with a few standouts. Skull Man might as well be the official mascot of Dr. Wily and all thing associated with Dr. Wily. The stages do some interesting things going to places like a junkyard and an underground mine. You know, I think it has to do with the boss music. Mega Man 4 has the least interesting boss music in the entire series (with the exception of the Dr. Wily fight). It put a huge drag on it because the same music is recycled for fortress bosses too. At any rate, Mega Man 4 exists. It's an okay game. Probably one of my least favorite of the series, but not the worst. 

I remember this game mostly for the robot master levels. They had some sort of gimmick that made every stage have at least one part that really sucked. The robot whales in Dive Man's stage. The funky half-circle moving platforms in Bright Man's stage. The dust crushers in Dust Man's stage. The switches that spawned platforms in Drill Man's stage. I mean it goes on and on. This shit is now standard in nearly every Mega Man game, but at the time it was a little hard to take in. There was a time when I thought I would never get past Dust Man's stage because of the stupid crushers. This game also pulled the first of many "Dr. Wily is still behind everything". Who knew in a few more games it would be as predictable as a Scooby Doo routine? Dr. Cossack has a sweet castle though. 

My favorite robot master from 4 is Dust Man. I think he's cool. Most people think he's the dumbest thing ever. So I guess that means I am the one and only Dust Man fan. Go Dust or go home.

Mega Man 5 (released in 1992)

Explosions will definitely be involved
    Mega Man 5 is my most favorite Mega Man game ever.  

Even after playing MM9 and MM10, it's STILL my favorite Mega Man game ever. The music hits all the right notes with me. The level design is sweet. I mean, this game has an anti-gravity stage! C'mon, anti-gravity stages are the best thing ever. You also get to ride a train and kill robotic chickens. If that wasn't enough, you get to hop on a jet ski. Not to mention you have the full use of slide and charge shot if you want to use it. Nothing is made artificially hard by hindering your abilities. The fortress bosses are cool and this game also introduces Beat. Your homing bird of death that will kill the last form of Dr. Wily dead no problem at all. I could go on and on. The only part of this game that I hate is Crystal Man's stage. There are these shafts that drop crystals into bottomless pits. The opening to jump across is pretty small, and sometimes it feels random. They kill me just about every single time. Other than that this game is golden. 

I suppose it helps that this game has my favorite robot master of all time. Napalm Man. To give you an idea of how old I was when this came out, I had no idea what Napalm was. Or Vietnam. I had to hit up a dictionary and ask my parents questions to which they had the understandable reaction of "Why are you asking about Napalm?". A lot of robot masters have funky designs and a few aren't that threatening. Napalm Man is one of the few where he looks like he was designed to blow shit up until shit no longer exists. Grenade launchers, missile launchers, treads. I don't know why he's purple but that's probably thinking too hard. It was very satisfying to see Napalm Man come back in the Wily Archives in Mega Man 10. After I got over the initial shock, I immediately picked up on his pattern and had a nostalgic moment to remember. That might be a spoiler. But if you've read all the way down here about some guy's opinion on the Mega Man series, you probably already know about the Wily Archives anyway. 

That covers the first five games. I'll be getting around to the other five another time. It's late where I am, and I've had one hell of a time adjusting to Giant Bomb's system on putting images in topics. Hopefully everything turned out well and looks okay.
    Sarumarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Sarumarine

Mega Man 10 came out a few weeks ago making the classic series finally hit double digits. When it starts up, it has a full list of the Mega Man series from No.1 to No.10 and the years they were released. I realized that I have been playing Mega Man games for a long, long time. The first one I ever played was Mega Man 3 on a friend's NES. The first one I ever bought (or more like my parents bought) was Mega Man 2. I was big into robots when I was really young and seeing the next set of "Man" designs was a real treat. Knowing the cold hard fact that there are ten of these games is funny and awesome all rolled up into one. Ten is a nice round number so I wanted to collect my thoughts as I go through each one and measure them with what I know now. 

Mega Man (released 1987)

Dude, he's on fire
     Dude, he's on fire
                 I never started this series with the first game and I'm really glad I didn't because the first Mega Man is terrible. I had this same reaction after playing Super Metroid and then wanted to go back and play Metroid on the NES. A lot of the problems with this game comes from the fact that it isn't made very well. All you have to do is play Ice Man's stage with the flying platforms that shoot at you to understand what you're up against. The screen flickers because it can't handle the action and you end up phasing through the flying platforms if you get hit. Or play Guts Man's stage and wrestle with the platforms that ride on rails and dump you at the worst possible moments. As an added bonus, spikes can kill you even as you're flashing. The animations for the bosses are probably only two or three frames (attack, not attack, move) and if you manage to play long enough to reach Dr. Wily's castle, the Yellow Devil will eat your soul (unless you glitch his ass, fair play as far as I'm concerned). Since I played 2 way before I ever got around to playing 1, I should have seen this coming. Still I was curious what I missed. Things this game did do well is the boss select concept allowing you to play in the order you want, and the hideously awesome cover art. I still have the NES cartridge of Mega Man in a shoebox along with my still functioning NES. I beat this game once and never touched it again.  

My favorite robot master from this game is Fire Man. I intend to make the captions on pictures as cheesy as possible in honor of the cover art. Bad is good, baby. 

Mega Man 2 (released in 1988)

Mega Man 2 was my very first Mega Man game when I got an NES. It came loaded with eight robot masters, awesome music, decent game play, and could actually handle the action it was dishing out. We had this game at my daycare and took turns playing it to death. Nearly everyone started with Metal Man so his stage music is permanently stuck in my brain along with the clown robot that rides the gear and tries to steamroll you. The other part of this game I will never forget is the gargantuan pit right before Heat Man that you can only navigate by jumping across goddamn disappearing and reappearing blocks. The kids at my daycare nicknamed it the "Duh Duh Blocks" after the sound effect when they blink in and out of the wall. I always skipped it by using Item 2 (Rush Jet before Rush Jet). The only time I actually tried to jump across using the blocks was after the Mega Man Anniversary Collection came out for the PS2. Bubble Man sucked, Flash Man's music was the shit, and Dr. Wily turned into an alien at the end of the game (but not really).  

Still pretty cool 
    Still pretty cool 
    There are also a lot of things about this game that I don't share with what I see on the internet and hear from other people. Air Man (contrary to the popular song) was hardly a blip on the radar. Quick Man was the "hardest" robot master in my circle of friends. Also, the Dragon Robot boss in Dr. Wily's first stage is a total joke to beat. Stand on top block, fire Quick Boomerang, get hit and fall down to middle block, jump back up to top block, repeat. The Security System Boss in the third stage was the hardest fortress boss. I didn't learn until years later that you can kill it with the Crash Bomb without running short on energy if you put bombs in just the right place. It's actually really cool that people can play the same game and get a totally different vibe from it. I'm sure there are plenty of things people can't share with me when talking about Mega Man.  

Oddly enough my favorite robot master from MM2 is Air Man. I liked his design and his stage music was really catchy. Not to mention, his power can kill that jumping lunatic Crash Man in one hit if you're lucky.

Mega Man 3 (released 1990)

Yes! This is one of my favorite Mega Man games ever. This is the standard I hold other Mega Man games up to. I couldn't tell you how crushed I was when I heard Mega Man 9 was going to be based on 2. When Mega Man 3 introduced slide, it was mind blowing. I spent the better half of this game just sliding around like an idiot. Slide to pick up that energy pellet. Slide to get to that ladder. Slide across the room. Slide because I just wanna. Not to mention 3 has some of the more memorable robot masters. Top Man, Snake Man, Needle Man, etc. Gemini Man was always considered "Mr. Cool" among my friends for some unspoken reason. And don't forget Hard Man. I was probably immature as a kid, but even I was like "Really? Hard Man? C'mon!" There are so many great music tracks and most of them in Dr. Wily's castle. Stage 1 in MM3 beats out Stage 1 in MM2 in my opinion. Plus the boss music for Dr. Wily is one of the greatest ever. But the real reason this game is so great is because it's practically two games in one. I'm talking about the Doc Bots. 

It's always hard to recapture the first time you do or see something incredible. But after beating the eight robot masters of MM3 and seeing the funky Doc Bots show up, it was something else. The stages got harder and changed a bit but nothing was quite as awesome as fighting all the robot masters from MM2 again. Holy shit. It was so incredible. At least it was incredible until I realized that Quick Man was back. Then I killed him and things were incredible again. The only things that didn't work so well with the Doc Bot stages was the level design. In Needle Man's stage, if you played through the bottomless pit section with Rush Jet and died somewhere near the end, the strategically placed energy pellets that let you refill Rush's energy didn't respawn, so you couldn't make it unless you got a game over and restarted the stage. Or maybe if you got incredibly lucky drops after killing enemies. Repeat playthroughs made the Doc Bot section a little taxing, so memorizing the code to go straight to Dr. Wily's castle was gold back then. Mega Man 3 is awesome.

My favorite robot master from MM3 is Spark Man, mostly because his expression when he tosses his ball of electricity is hilarious. 

Mega Man 4 (released in 1991)

Mega Man 4 is something of an odd duck. There's just something about it. It's nothing to do with the game play. The introduction of a charge shot was completely awesome . . . but I don't know. Maybe I'm just not digging the whole Red Scare/Russian vibe that runs through the whole thing. The robot masters are okay with a few standouts. Skull Man might as well be the official mascot of Dr. Wily and all thing associated with Dr. Wily. The stages do some interesting things going to places like a junkyard and an underground mine. You know, I think it has to do with the boss music. Mega Man 4 has the least interesting boss music in the entire series (with the exception of the Dr. Wily fight). It put a huge drag on it because the same music is recycled for fortress bosses too. At any rate, Mega Man 4 exists. It's an okay game. Probably one of my least favorite of the series, but not the worst. 

I remember this game mostly for the robot master levels. They had some sort of gimmick that made every stage have at least one part that really sucked. The robot whales in Dive Man's stage. The funky half-circle moving platforms in Bright Man's stage. The dust crushers in Dust Man's stage. The switches that spawned platforms in Drill Man's stage. I mean it goes on and on. This shit is now standard in nearly every Mega Man game, but at the time it was a little hard to take in. There was a time when I thought I would never get past Dust Man's stage because of the stupid crushers. This game also pulled the first of many "Dr. Wily is still behind everything". Who knew in a few more games it would be as predictable as a Scooby Doo routine? Dr. Cossack has a sweet castle though. 

My favorite robot master from 4 is Dust Man. I think he's cool. Most people think he's the dumbest thing ever. So I guess that means I am the one and only Dust Man fan. Go Dust or go home.

Mega Man 5 (released in 1992)

Mega Man 5 is my most favorite Mega Man game ever.  

Even after playing MM9 and MM10, it's STILL my favorite Mega Man game ever. The music hits all the right notes with me. The level design is sweet. I mean, this game has an anti-gravity stage! C'mon, anti-gravity stages are the best thing ever. You also get to ride a train and kill robotic chickens. If that wasn't enough, you get to hop on a jet ski. Not to mention you have the full use of slide and charge shot if you want to use it. Nothing is made artificially hard by hindering your abilities. The fortress bosses are cool and this game also introduces Beat. Your homing bird of death that will kill the last form of Dr. Wily dead no problem at all. I could go on and on. The only part of this game that I hate is Crystal Man's stage. There are these shafts that drop crystals into bottomless pits. The opening to jump across is pretty small, and sometimes it feels random. They kill me just about every single time. Other than that this game is golden. 

I suppose it helps that this game has my favorite robot master of all time. Napalm Man. To give you an idea of how old I was when this came out, I had no idea what Napalm was. Or Vietnam. I had to hit up a dictionary and ask my parents questions to which they had the understandable reaction of "Why are you asking about Napalm?". A lot of robot masters have funky designs and a few aren't that threatening. Napalm Man is one of the few where he looks like he was designed to blow shit up until shit no longer exists. Grenade launchers, missile launchers, treads. I don't know why he's purple but that's probably thinking too hard. It was very satisfying to see Napalm Man come back in the Wily Archives in Mega Man 10. After I got over the initial shock, I immediately picked up on his pattern and had a nostalgic moment to remember. That might be a spoiler. But if you've read all the way down here about some guy's opinion on the Mega Man series, you probably already know about the Wily Archives anyway. 

That covers the first five games. I'll be getting around to the other five another time. It's late where I am, and I've had one hell of a time adjusting to Giant Bomb's system on putting images in topics. Hopefully everything turned out well and looks okay.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.