Definition of a Meme:

#1 Posted by TadThuggish (906 posts) -

Something that was funny, then said again and again and again till it catches on to the mainstream media and isn't funny anymore, when all the people who guffawed over it in the first place claim it "wasn't that great anyway."

#2 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19329 posts) -

Pronunciation: \ ˈmēm\
Function: noun
Etymology: alteration of mimeme, from mim- (as in mimesis) + -eme
Date: 1976 
: an idea, behavior, style, or usage that spreads from person to person within a culture 

#3 Posted by Drebin_893 (2909 posts) -

Boom.

#4 Posted by Jambones (1696 posts) -
@Drebin_893: Wouldn't "Wabam" be more appropriate?
#5 Posted by bartholomew999 (171 posts) -

lol, is this thread intellectual phishing? 

I define meme as a concept or even a symbol that, while continually evolving, is transmitted to others through imitation and/or through media. 

Also google "Dawkins"

#6 Posted by I_smell (3924 posts) -

I define a meme as some stupid 4chan shit that isn't funny or relevant but seems to pop up all over the goddamn place because people on the internet will desperately cling to any stupid thing if it makes em feel like they "fit in".

That's what I think when I hear the word "meme". Although I don't hear it in real life, I only really see the word on forums.

#7 Posted by maimran91 (361 posts) -

I hate memes they're so annoying

#8 Posted by TheDuke (231 posts) -

it doesn't have to be funny just capable of spreading
most of the time they're annoying and are popular because of their ability to annoy

#9 Posted by Jimbo (9800 posts) -

Memes doesn't afraid of anything.

#10 Posted by mazik765 (2315 posts) -

This thread is certainly not over 9000.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.