Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mercenaries 2: World in Flames

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Aug 31, 2008

The sequel to the critically acclaimed Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction. Now set in war-torn Venezuela, the player again takes on contracts for various warring factions on a quest for payback.

GameSpot Review Score = 5.0

• 69 results
    Rain_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Rain_Dog
    Dayum

I didn't see that one coming.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

So, they think it's on par with Too Human

I mean . . . that seems a little harsh. 

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By weltal

Wow, harsh. Never the less, I'm still getting it once I get the cash.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

why is aaron tomas reviewing an action game?  He only likes sports

And one thing I just can't comprehend about that site- how is transformers (6.0) on par with Blue Dragon, almost as good as Infinite Undiscovery, better than Too Human, and also mercanaries?

Ive played a lot of the worst games this generation.  I've played Hour of Victory, I've played Avtatar, and I've even played Metal Gear Solid 4 (i joke)
    But seriously- Transformers is by far the worst.  No appealing qualities whatsoever and it's broken

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By BigBoss1911

I never really was interested in this game.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

I agree, and if you have been in the IRC chat you know I do. :P

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    BigBoss1911 said:
    "I never really was interested in this game."

neither was I, but I did rent it.

It's somewhat fun.  Sort of like Just Cause. 

But seriously, you get a 6.0 for just being playable.
    Any lower than that is when a game lacks basic game things
    ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

wow ive played it and thought it was alot of fun there were only a little a few things that were a little weird to me but overall i felt like it was a 7.0 to a 7.5 

SpikeDelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SpikeDelight

GameSpot is trying too hard to show everyone that they're still edgy, but I think it's to their disadvantage. It just makes them look like douchebags who never give a good score (which they kind of were, but back then they used to be fair about it). I don't really care about Mercs 2, but I think this is getting out of hand.

lucas_kelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By lucas_kelly

Wow, a 5.0, I really didn't expect it to get rated that low, even for Gamespot standards.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By wefwefasdf
    SmugDarkLoser said:
    "why is aaron tomas reviewing an action game?  He only likes sports

And one thing I just can't comprehend about that site- how is transformers (6.0) on par with Blue Dragon, almost as good as Infinite Undiscovery, better than Too Human, and also mercanaries?

Ive played a lot of the worst games this generation.  I've played Hour of Victory, I've played Avtatar, and I've even played Metal Gear Solid 4 (i joke)
    But seriously- Transformers is by far the worst.  No appealing qualities whatsoever and it's broken"
    I don't really understand it either. It doesn't make sense.
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Hamz

Honestly i've heard a lot of bad press about Mercs 2 lately so i sort of expected some reviews like this. But that being said i'm not sure why Aaron Thomas was picked to review the game since he is mainly a Sports gamer. It's like getting Jeff to review a sports game, it just doesn't seem right?

Also a 5.0/10 isn't a bad score. Its means the game is probably worth renting or borrowing from a friend instead of paying full price for it.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    Hamz said:
    "Honestly i've heard a lot of bad press about Mercs 2 lately so i sort of expected some reviews like this. But that being said i'm not sure why Aaron Thomas was picked to review the game since he is mainly a Sports gamer. It's like getting Jeff to review a sports game, it just doesn't seem right?

Also a 5.0/10 isn't a bad score. Its means the game is probably worth renting or borrowing from a friend instead of paying full price for it."

no, a 5/10 is a bad score.

3/5 =/= 5/10.

5/10s are typically games that just suck and arent fun.  Id probably give Avatar a 5
    Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Blue

Gamespot has gone down hill big time.There is no Constancy in there scores as mentioned games like transformers getting a higher score then this. OUCH

xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xxNBxx

This game is SOOOOO broken it isn't funny.   I played it for the last few days it started out fine but then it becomes impossible with all the bugs and gliches.  

I am on this one mission where i need to rescue a chinese guy on top of a building,  you can't get to the top of the building till you take out the SAMs on the ground,  there is so much armor in the area that you getting blasted every 3 sec.  And here is the cherry on top of the steaming pile of crap that is this mission...  For some reason the VIP dies 50% of the time when your not even close to him.

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ZombieHunterOG
    xxNBxx said:
    "This game is SOOOOO broken it isn't funny.   I played it for the last few days it started out fine but then it becomes impossible with all the bugs and gliches.  

I am on this one mission where i need to rescue a chinese guy on top of a building,  you can't get to the top of the building till you take out the SAMs on the ground,  there is so much armor in the area that you getting blasted every 3 sec.  And here is the cherry on top of the steaming pile of crap that is this mission...  For some reason the VIP dies 50% of the time when your not even close to him."
    dude ive done the mission did it first try ..... maybe your just bad ? 
    Ma7moud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ma7moud

Thats very underrated. Yes the game have glitches, Bad AI, Lousy story Etc but it doesn't deserve anything less than 7.

Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dizzyhippos

That game series has always been a rent not buy for me, and stop attacking people that review them please it is based on there experience with the game. You dont have to agree with them 

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19  Edited By kush

Does Gamespot really deserve to get every review they write posted here in their own little threads? Really, just so people can say, "Damn...those guys are stupid."

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By weltal
    Kush said:
    "Does Gamespot really deserve to get every review they write posted here in their own little threads? Really, just so people can say, "Damn...those guys are stupid.""
    They are a pretty large review site and this is the game's forum so I'd imagein it's perfectly logical to present the score to people that are interested.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kush
    Weltal said:
    "They are a pretty large review site and this is the game's forum so I'd imagein it's perfectly logical to present the score to people that are interested."
    Well I think it would make more sense to just have a thread dedicated to ALL of the other big gaming sites review scores. One thread for IGN, 1UP, GS etc...but that is just my opinion.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e12c8fcf3f2c
    deactivated-5e12c8fcf3f2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hamz said:
    "Honestly i've heard a lot of bad press about Mercs 2 lately so i sort of expected some reviews like this. But that being said i'm not sure why Aaron Thomas was picked to review the game since he is mainly a Sports gamer. It's like getting Jeff to review a sports game, it just doesn't seem right?

Also a 5.0/10 isn't a bad score. Its means the game is probably worth renting or borrowing from a friend instead of paying full price for it."
    on the gamespot scale, 5/10 is a bad score. with gamespot 6=1/5, 7=2/5, 8=3/5, 9=4/5, 10=5/5, and anything below 6 is just their way of taunting the devs on how bad they thing the game is.
    elbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By elbow

It's Aaron Thomas people, this guy is a fucking moron, same guy that gave Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction a 7.5/10.

Seriously, on Gamespot you have to scroll down and find out who wrote the review before you take anything that they say with validity.

Unless it's written by Kevin VanOrd, then it's I generally scuff it off.

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

i agree elbow kevin normally knows his stuff

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By AndrewGaspar
    Sir_Ragnarok said:
    "So, they think it's on par with Too Human

I mean . . . that seems a little harsh. "
    No, they think it's worse. Too Human = 5.5

;-)

I think those scores are a little low, though, compared to some of their other reviews.
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By BiggerBomb
    SmugDarkLoser said:
    "Hamz said:

no, a 5/10 is a bad score.

3/5 =/= 5/10.

5/10s are typically games that just suck and arent fun.  Id probably give Avatar a 5"

Gunna have to agree with Loser here, 5/10 might be listed as "mediocre" according to GS but in reality it is a terrible score to recieve. Pretty much anything below a 7.0 is just a bad game.

Oh yeah, GameSpot sucks.
    xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By xxNBxx
    ZombieHunter said:
    "xxNBxx said:
    "This game is SOOOOO broken it isn't funny.   I played it for the last few days it started out fine but then it becomes impossible with all the bugs and gliches.  

I am on this one mission where i need to rescue a chinese guy on top of a building,  you can't get to the top of the building till you take out the SAMs on the ground,  there is so much armor in the area that you getting blasted every 3 sec.  And here is the cherry on top of the steaming pile of crap that is this mission...  For some reason the VIP dies 50% of the time when your not even close to him."
    dude ive done the mission did it first try ..... maybe your just bad ? "
    for a game that said you can't play it anyway you want you sure can't then.    How is the VIP dieing with out me being near him?    There is no timer, they don't say hurry up.  he just dies.   One time i wasn't even near the frist SAM and he died.
    ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

i didnt say i could play it Nb where did i say that ??? hmm ^.^ 

Win

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Win

Oh boy Aaron Thomas.....look what you've done now.I think it will probably get 3 stars here.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BiggerBomb

Aaron Thomas is a joke. He once started talking trash to me on the forums because I stood up to some mod-wannabe tool. Whatta jackass.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The whole gamespot review staff is pretty much a joke these days. I'm not a fanboy for this game by any means, but the game is far from being broken. It has some damn nasty glitches but when a game is called broken, that usually means it's completely unplayable.

I'm sure if EA or Pandemic had ads for this game plastered around Gamespot the score would be slightly different (wink wink jeff reference wink wink).

I think IGN's score of 7.9 is ideal. Had the game shipped bug-free it might even be 8.5 worthy. While the missions are repetitive, the immense arsenal of weapons makes the game feel fresh.

Ah, who am I kidding. If you like to blow shit up then this game is for you. If you want a deep story driven epic filled with deep characters and an intelligent and cohesive plot, play infinite undiscovery or lost odysey.

Roger_Klotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Roger_Klotz
    TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 13

#33  Edited By TheGamerGeek

Fucking ridiculous, why couldn't Aaron just see the good stuff in this game?Gah, I love him on From the Bleachers but I am not the biggest fan of him reviews.

TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TheGamerGeek
    Win said:
    "Oh boy Aaron Thomas.....look what you've done now.I think it will probably get 3 stars here."
    That's what I gave it when I reviewed it, wouldn't 5.0 pretty much translate to a  1 star rating on here?Fable Pub Games got a better rating then Mercs 2....fucking ridiculous.
    Dizzyhippos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Dizzyhippos

Why does it annoy you all so much that they gave the game a bad review, you clearly made up your mind already so who cares if he likes it or not

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TwoOneFive

i totally saw this coming. 

The game looked like shit when i first saw screen shots, looks worse than the last one. 

The new red faction game is where its at if you want a decent, super destructible, kinda game. 
    TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheGamerGeek
    Dizzyhippos said:
    "Why does it annoy you all so much that they gave the game a bad review, you clearly made up your mind already so who cares if he likes it or not"
    Because a lot of people are gonna look at this review and go"Well this game sucks so I'm not gonna buy it"when in reality it's a really fun game.
    DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38  Edited By DARKIDO07

Guys chill out, so a reviewer gave a game a score you don't agree with, so what. The point of reviews are to help you get a guess if you will enjoy the game or not, you should be looking at sites for reviews that you agree with not those that you don't. I go here, GameInformer, and GameTrailers, and if they say a game sucks I normally stay away from it becuase I know that I have similar tastes as their reviewers do. If you don't have the same taste in games as reviewer your opinions on a game aren't even going to remotely close. And finaly its just a score, if you enjoy the game that's all that matters, nothing else. [Adam Sessler pwns.]

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TwoOneFive
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Aaron Thomas is a joke. He once started talking trash to me on the forums because I stood up to some mod-wannabe tool. Whatta jackass."
    i think i remember that, the dude writes a lame ass blog right defending GS right?
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TwoOneFive
    TheGamerGeek said:
    "Win said:
    "Oh boy Aaron Thomas.....look what you've done now.I think it will probably get 3 stars here."
    That's what I gave it when I reviewed it, wouldn't 5.0 pretty much translate to a  1 star rating on here?Fable Pub Games got a better rating then Mercs 2....fucking ridiculous."
    thats a really good point. a game based on luck is not a fuckin game, and yet this game got less than that. 
    REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By REforever101

hell....I like mercs 2, and so does my friend. we like it a lot actually

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Systech

Sweet, 2Human the sequel? In all seriousness, this game is not a 5.0. I understand that this is an opinion, but a 5.0 is ridiculous. I don't think that we realize though, that this is just giving Gamespot more attention and guess what? We're giving it to them.

HTTenrai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By HTTenrai

*sigh* Why do I have to keep saying this? It's just another fucking opinion. If you like the game, what the fuck do you care what anyone else thinks?

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By pause422

Trust me, this game is better than Too Human. It has its problems, little things I could name a list of, and it mostly feels llike a old gen game, but its still fun enough to pretty much anyone, something Too Human isn't. For one, never trust Gamespot on a review, and secondly, look at other reviews that are better written by IGn/1up, also christ..remember its an opinion , just like you could review a game gamespot gave a 5 and give it a 9 if you enjoyed it..its nothing more.

twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By twenty0ne
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Aaron Thomas is a joke. He once started talking trash to me on the forums because I stood up to some mod-wannabe tool. Whatta jackass."
    I sense an overreaction....
    ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ArchScabby

ummm, does anyone pay attention to gamespot anymore?  I wasn't even sure it was around anymore, lol.

Teh_Eel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Teh_Eel
    HTTenrai said:
    "*sigh* Why do I have to keep saying this? It's just another fucking opinion. If you like the game, what the fuck do you care what anyone else thinks?"
    I think some people need to read this again, and not take things so seriously like a games review.
    ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ArchScabby
    Teh_Eel said:
    "HTTenrai said:
    "*sigh* Why do I have to keep saying this? It's just another fucking opinion. If you like the game, what the fuck do you care what anyone else thinks?"
    I think some people need to read this again, and not take things so seriously like a games review."
    But why would I enjoy a game I like if everyone else doesn't?
    Justaddwater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Justaddwater

Why the fuck are you all so childish? Its what he thought of the game, end of story. I hated ocarina of time and would give it a low score. Its a persons opinion.

His review is informative and entertaining to read. Lets see you articulate your words in a way as well as he did.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MetalGearSunny

Bet he played it for 2 seconds, tops.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.