Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Feb 19, 2013

A fast-paced action game co-developed by PlatinumGames and Kojima Productions. It follows ninja-cyborg Raiden's activities four years after the events of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots.

25-minute interview about the history behind Metal Gear Rising.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By Icemael

Basically, the team at Kojima Productions had the "cut everything" technology down but couldn't design an interesting game around it. Because of this, the project was cancelled in 2010. Kojima then decided to look for a studio to help pick up the pieces. He first considered some Western studios, but decided that a Japanese studio would be a better fit for a ninja action game with sword combat. He ultimately came to the conclusion that PlatinumGames was the only studio that could pull it off. He contacted them earlier this year and they accepted. They originally planned to use the FOX engine and a story set between Metal Gear Solid 2 and Metal Gear Solid 4, but in order to give Platinum as much freedom as possible, they moved to Platinum's proprietary engine and a story set after Metal Gear Solid 4. Both studios seem happy about the collaboration.

I'm very curious to see who the director is, since Kojima said that the lack of a strong director was one of the main problems with Rising's original development process.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I'm incredibly happy Platinum is doing it. Extremely excited for this game.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By ESREVER

I really <3 Platinum. So this still remains pretty awesome in my book.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By billyhoush

I'm buying this game because the documentary made it feel like the Japanese gaming industry's last hope.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ThunderSlash

Let's hope that Platinum use the Kojima Production budget to its fullest and produce a 30 minute dance sequence at the end of Rising.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By The_Ruiner

dammit i want that game about the Boss in WWII...MAKE IT!!!

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By vaiz

This totally looks like Devil May Raiden, and I'm so okay with that fact. Shit. looks. nuts.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By fjordson

I think it looks pretty cool. The MGS fanboy in me was pouting during the VGA's about it not being a KojiPro game anymore, but that clearly wasn't working out.

Props to Kojima for doing something so bold. A situation like this would usually result in the project getting canned permanently or being rushed out to die. Really enjoyed Bayonetta and Vanquish, so I'm excited.

That is interesting that they didn't mention a director at all. Watch it be Kamiya undercover, working on this and Bayonetta 2. They'll keep it a mystery to help build hype.

(it's probably not Kamiya, but that'd be sweet)

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Icemael
    @Fjordson: Kamiya has stated on Twitter that he is not involved.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Icemael
    http://nerdreactor.com/2011/12/13/metal-gear-rising-qa-kojima-im-not-a-katana-maniac-like-itagaki/ 

Hideo Kojima has apparently been friends with Hideki Kamiya and Atsushi Inaba for about 10 years or so. For all of you video game otakus out there, catch this bit of information: A long time ago, Kojima asked both of them how much money they were making, and when he found out, he said, “That’s not enough. Come work for me”. Kojima originally, specifically asked for Hideki Kamiya to work on Metal Gear Rising, but Inaba said that Kamiya will repeatedly delay the project. So, Inaba was allowed to start the project.

Heh. 
    Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Dylabaloo

Interesting, looks like it's going to piss off a lot of Metal Gear fans.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Sooty

REVENGEANCE. ALL THE THINGS.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By ShadyPingu

Well, at least the game is a thing now. That's something. Can't say I'm interested in another Metal Gear story after 4, though. Kinda liked it better when it was an interquel.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
    Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

METARU G-SAHRRY

SHARRY

METARU GEAR RIS-SAHRRY

MATARU-SHARRY

SAHRRY

SAHRRY

shinluis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By shinluis

@Dylabaloo said:

Interesting, looks like it's going to piss off a lot of Metal Gear fans.

I'm a proper Metal Gear fan and I am indeed properly pissed.

Also very disappointed. I was really looking forward to some quality stealth and a great, quircky story; looks like this doesn't have any of them. At all.

Also it's really dumb to set this after MGS4 since Raiden totally retired and even had the crazy ninja parts removed or something.

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jewunit

The game looks interesting enough, but I am a bit concerned that the Kojima Productions staff wasn't able to give the game a proper direction without Kojima. No one stepped up to the plate and took charge and the game just spun its wheels until the higher-ups put their collective foot down on it. Kojima is not going to be available forever and I would like to know that the company has someone else who can direct the team and be a creative, inspiring force. It is a lot to ask, but I think Kojima Productions needs someone of that sort at the company other than Kojima.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SpaceRunaway

@jewunit said:

The game looks interesting enough, but I am a bit concerned that the Kojima Productions staff wasn't able to give the game a proper direction without Kojima. No one stepped up to the plate and took charge and the game just spun its wheels until the higher-ups put their collective foot down on it. Kojima is not going to be available forever and I would like to know that the company has someone else who can direct the team and be a creative, inspiring force. It is a lot to ask, but I think Kojima Productions needs someone of that sort at the company other than Kojima.

This is what breaks my heart about this game the most.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Icemael
    @jewunit: Kojima did not direct either of the Zone of the Enders games, and those turned out all right.
    Avatar image for lemmycaution217
    Lemmycaution217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lemmycaution217

Platinum is an awesome developer. I am happy they are taking the reins on this project.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By big_jon

I really don't see the appeal of this game now, it looks cheesy and dumb.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Deusx

Wow, great documentary. Thanks duder that was really interesting! Got me excited for this!

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By Enigma777

Super interesting. Can't wait for this game. 

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By I_smell

I'm not about to sit here reading inch-high subtitles for 25 minutes, but yo here's the 2 builds side-by-side of when it was being made by the in-house Kojima guys, and after they gave it to Platinum:

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Icemael
    @I_smell said:

I'm not about to sit here reading inch-high subtitles for 25 minutes

So click the video and watch it on Youtube in full-screen 720p.

@I_smell said:

but yo here's the 2 builds side-by-side of when it was being made by the in-house Kojima guys, and after they gave it to Platinum:

The KP version looks more technologically impressive, but that's it. Maybe you should, you know, watch the interview about the serious game design problems it had.
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By I_smell

No because subtitles are a miserable. They're the absolute worst way to see anything.

It's WAY more than "more technologically impressive". They're like 2 seperate games. The new one has so much motion blur and giant squibs, and obviously the sword doesn't slice people with every hit now.

Personally it feels like someone should've said No and shut this game down once they couldn't get a solid design together, but maybe Kojima has too much sway for anyone to do that now.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Icemael
    @I_smell: I was talking specifically about ways in which the KP version looked better, since I assume that was the point you were trying to make. Enemies being sliced apart with every slash is just silly, and I assume it was design choices like that that led to the game's cancellation.
    Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27  Edited By buzz_killington

The documentary depressed me about the state of Japanese game development. I hope this game turns out amazing and sells a whole bunch of million copies.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By AuthenticM

.gif:

No Caption Provided

Day one for me.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By BoOzak

This whole ordeal kind of reminds of Metroid: Other M. Granted Nintendo's decision to work with Team Ninja was a conscious choice from the get-go. But still, the way people reacted and the inevitability of it being a good game that the fans hate because it isnt faithfull to the franchise it's based on is dissapointing. Personally I hope it sells well just for Platinum Games sake, they keep making great games but nobody buys them because it isnt, teh Haloz or the Call of Duties..

@I_smell: The original gameplay looks pretty shit to be honest.. and action games that run at 30fps are always kind of tedious. At least the ones that actually require timing and a fast reaction speed.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Baillie

I don't understand who wants this. Metal Gear fans don't want their game to be a dumb hack and slash game.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By I_smell

@BoOzak:

I agree, I think it looks slow, empty and weird. I don't know how a beat-em-up where all the enemies are one-hit would last.

But then maybe you had really low health n they were trying to make a stealth-ninja game or something?

Anyway at least that's interesting, this looks like a hundred other games. Some of the lines in the trailer are literally the same lines that're in Devil May Cry 3 (I played that a lot, so I noticed)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.