Ask me almost anything about MGR:R(spoilers will be marked)

#1 Posted by Kankohii (65 posts) -

The obvious questions with one word answers:

Q: Is it good?

Yes.

Q: Is it short?

Depends.

Q: Is it crazy?

YES.

#2 Posted by mrfluke (5150 posts) -

well fuck, thats all the questions right there.

im going to guess u either got the game early, or this is a joke thread. but here goes.

Is the zan datsu stuff used cleverly throughout the game or is it just a thing to cut up dudes?

how is the upgrade system?

how was the story?

#3 Posted by ThunderSlash (1720 posts) -

How long is the longest cutscene?

#4 Posted by Kankohii (65 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

well fuck, thats all the questions right there.

im going to guess u either got the game early, or this is a joke thread. but here goes.

Is the zan datsu stuff used cleverly throughout the game or is it just a thing to cut up dudes?

how is the upgrade system?

how was the story?

Zandatsu is used cleverly in that it triggers at certain points to maximise badassery, and there is one zandatsu moment in particular that is amazing and crazy. There is no "puzzle solving" with blade mode if that's what you're asking, although there are times where precise cuts are needed.

The upgrade system is fine. It's like other character action games where you can increase life, capacities, weapons, abilities. You get BP by playing and spend it in the customize menu.

The story was.. there will be metal gear fans throwing up their hands in the air, people scoffing at some of the ridiculousness- these are people without a sense of humor. It has a lot of that Platinum Games feel, especially by the end. And oh my god, what an end.

How long is the longest cutscene?

Honestly, the cutscenes aren't so long and there aren't so many of them compared to an MGS game. The amount of codec convos however is really dense.

#5 Posted by Icemael (6320 posts) -
#6 Posted by ThunderSlash (1720 posts) -

Oh I have another: Is stealth viable? Do they do the whole No Alerts No Kills rating thing at the end of the game?

#7 Edited by posh (488 posts) -

how does the parry system fare overall? in the demo sometimes i had trouble when the geckos were off camera or behind me and i couldn't see the parry prompt, did you encounter any problems with that or the combat in general?

#8 Edited by Kankohii (65 posts) -

@icemael said:

@kankohii said:

Does Raiden drive a motorbike up a rocket as it launches into space, beat up the physical embodiment of god, throw it through the solar system into the sun and then dance for four minutes?

No, but holy shit there are things that happen in this game that are fucking Platinum.

Also if you stopped your sentence earlier I would have said yes

@thunderslash said:

Oh I have another: Is stealth viable? Do they do the whole No Alerts No Kills rating thing at the end of the game?

There are different titles to collect; alerts are indeed measured, and stealth is viable to a certain point. For the most part you don't act stealthy to avoid enemies, but to hunt them down.

#9 Posted by Kankohii (65 posts) -

@posh said:

how does the parry system fare overall? in the demo sometimes i had trouble when the geckos were off camera or behind me and i couldn't see the parry prompt, did you encounter any problems with that or the combat in general?

The parry system is very responsive, and the timing is fair. If you parry two seconds before the guy attacks of course you're going to get hit, Raiden will block as long as it's reasonably before the attack, and he will do the counter if it's timed perfectly. Enemies/bosses have their own unique "rhythm" so it gets really interesting. Had no problems with the combat in general, but i notice other players are using blade mode inappropriately. You're really supposed to use it when the enemies are vulnerable to getting sliced apart, not when you're "softening them up".

#10 Edited by mrfluke (5150 posts) -

funny you say the story has a platinium games feel, when kojima's team, fox studios apparently did the story.

but anyway back to more questions.

the craziness, where would you rank this between all the platinium games? does it just go batshit incredibly insane like bayonetta?

and like ok, lets remove the MGS fans and the people scoffing at the ridiculousness, did you like the story?

and whats there in terms of replay value? higher difficulties? vr missions? unlockable costumes? collectibles? new game +? online leaderboards?

do they silently drop a easter egg and mention solid snake or any of the snakes at all during the game? totally expecting them to throw a nod to those characters?

and if you were to rate this game on say a 5 star scale what would you give it ? :P

#12 Edited by Kankohii (65 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

funny you say the story has a platinium games feel, when kojima's team, fox studios apparently did the story.

but anyway back to more questions.

the craziness, where would you rank this between all the platinium games? does it just go batshit incredibly insane like bayonetta?

and like ok, lets remove the MGS fans and the people scoffing at the ridiculousness, did you like the story?

and whats there in terms of replay value? higher difficulties? vr missions? unlockable costumes? collectibles? new game +? online leaderboards?

do they silently drop a easter egg and mention solid snake or any of the snakes at all during the game? totally expecting them to throw a nod to those characters?

There are a few twists that make you furrow your brow in a way that, say, Vanquish or Bayonetta never even come close to achieving, but I stand by it. The story has a Platinum Games feel.

The craziness is less than Bayonetta, but more than Vanquish.

I liked the story very much. Certain characters who you might think are one dimensional aren't. It has a sense of humor, maybe some self-awareness about itself, and gets serious when it has to.

There are two higher difficulties after Hard. There are plenty of VR missions. There are a bunch of unlockable costumes. There are various collectibles. Yes, new game + allows you to keep your upgraded/fully armed Raiden. No online leaderboards for the main game

Snake is thrown a nod and will be "part" of a certain DLC item, and the ideals of more than one of the clones are channeled through some of the characters. There is no direct mention as far as I know.

#13 Posted by Kankohii (65 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

and if you were to rate this game on say a 5 star scale what would you give it ? :P

4.5/5

#14 Posted by mrfluke (5150 posts) -

and you say Ask me almost anything about MGR:R.... what CANT we ask you about MGR? :P

#15 Posted by Kankohii (65 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

and you say Ask me almost anything about MGR:R.... what CANT we ask you about MGR? :P

How hard is Revengeance mode

and..

what do you get for beating Revengeance mode..

#16 Posted by mrfluke (5150 posts) -

@kankohii said:

@mrfluke said:

and..

is it just fucked hard that you havent beaten it? or is it a awesome surprise?

also can you say what unlockable costumes you get in the game? would love to get a old snake costume , super ridiculous but hey :P.

#17 Edited by Kankohii (65 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

@kankohii said:

@mrfluke said:

and..

is it just fucked hard that you havent beaten it? or is it a awesome surprise?

also can you say what unlockable costumes you get in the game? would love to get a old snake costume , super ridiculous but hey :P.

Nah you have to beat Very Hard (unlocks after beating the game once) to get to that mode. And Very Hard is. Very. Hard.

Unlockable costumes are: Desperado raiden (black and red color), Mariachi outfit (adios, amigos), Business suit and shades, Original outfit (prologue body). There are also wigs that change his hair color and give different "infinite" bonuses.

#18 Posted by mrfluke (5150 posts) -

"Snake is thrown a nod and will be "part" of a certain DLC item"

can you elaborate? im very curious

i guess this is one you'ill have to spoiler tag

#20 Posted by Kankohii (65 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

"Snake is thrown a nod and will be "part" of a certain DLC item"

can you elaborate? im very curious

i guess this is one you'ill have to spoiler tag

Eh not really, it's news.

It's a weapon called the Snake soul wooden sword, and has Snake say lines when you use it. No, I am not bullshitting you

#21 Edited by mrfluke (5150 posts) -

Do they touch upon the rescue of that kid sunny from mgs4 in this game? its apparently what he was during after MGS2

Do they make Raiden a likable character? demo alluded to them going back and touching more on the jack the ripper days.

and Does Vamp from MGS4 make an appearance? thats far fetched i know, but i figured id still ask.

#22 Posted by Kankohii (65 posts) -

I have also completed the game and I agree it's pretty great.

NANOMACHINES, SON! I laughed my ass off, and that entire end was CRAZY

#23 Edited by Kankohii (65 posts) -
@mrfluke said:

Do they touch upon the rescue of that kid sunny from mgs4 in this game? its apparently what he was during after MGS2

Do they make Raiden a likable character? demo alluded to them going back and touching more on the jack the ripper days.

and Does Vamp from MGS4 make an appearance? thats far fetched i know, but i figured id still ask.

The rescue is definitely mentioned but never explicitly shown or anything like that.

Raiden is very likable, and the fact that he is NOT just some goody two shoes superman is a MAJOR theme of the game. He also makes some bad jokes- though this is definitely addressed by some other characters. Also , let's just say there were characters I found likable that I never thought I would.

Nope

#25 Posted by baldgye (756 posts) -

I've posted my review of the game if anyone here cares, you can find it on my GB profile...

#26 Edited by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

1. How did you find the combat? I thought it felt pretty shallow from the demo, but players have discovered blade mode and dodge cancels, so it looks like it has the potential to be pretty crazy.

2. How are the additional weapons dealt with? Can you use multiple in a combo?

3. Is the camera improved at all from the demo?

4. Does Raiden get a mask at any point? If so, can you choose to have it always active? Masks are cool.

5. Most importantly: are the environments varied at all, or is it all flat/boring city areas?

Thanks for taking the time to do this :)

#27 Posted by baldgye (756 posts) -

I can jump in and answer some of those if you like...

1. combat is pretty deep but I suck at HnS games

2. awesome, yes

3. not really

4. not sure

5. yes, but its not MGS4 where your all over the world each chapteer

#28 Edited by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

@baldgye: Ah, awesome. Cheers, dude.

Could you expand at all on the levels/environments (without giving too much away, if possible)? It's been my biggest hang-up since the first images/videos were released. Is the color palette primarily gray?

(Goddammit, do I want Raiden to have a mask).

#29 Edited by baldgye (756 posts) -

I mean, if you've seen the video's and trailers they have been putting out you'll see the variation... but honestly the world around you isn't something you pay alot of attenton too becasue your busy having a blast destroying anything that might move

#30 Posted by GetEveryone (4455 posts) -

@baldgye said:

I mean, if you've seen the video's and trailers they have been putting out you'll see the variation... but honestly the world around you isn't something you pay alot of attenton too becasue your busy having a blast destroying anything that might move

I've been trying to go in (relatively) dark, but, yeah, point taken.

Thanks for the replies, dude.

#31 Edited by baldgye (756 posts) -

no worries, I typed up a review if you're interested... and when ever you finish the game feedback is welcome :P

#32 Edited by White (1347 posts) -

How thin can you slice the melons/metal/anything.

#33 Posted by Sidewalkchalk (122 posts) -

Is there a story? I don't care if it's narrated terribly, but does it explain how Raiden goes from being sane to being "Jack the Ripper?"

#34 Edited by Kankohii (65 posts) -

@white said:

How thin can you slice the melons/metal/anything.

You can cut things into slivers.

Is there a story? I don't care if it's narrated terribly, but does it explain how Raiden goes from being sane to being "Jack the Ripper?"

There is a story. Make sure to listen to codec conversations to get the picture if it interests you; there's a lot of info packed into them.

#35 Posted by Greywingedfall (4 posts) -

Does this game has spoilers to previous MGS games?I did not play MGS3 and MGS4 yet, and I dont want to get some major spoilers about previous games in MGS series, The only thing I know from MGS4 that the Patriots are gone..

#36 Edited by Reisz (1491 posts) -

@kankohiiThis is likely not what you meant however; I'm still waiting for my copy to come in from the UK so I've been playing the demo repeatedly and I'm having a hell of a time harvesting the spines from successful zan datsu kills. I get the button prompt, press circle and nothing. I've tried timing it perfectly, hitting it before I see the prompt, mashing it, waiting until the animation is finished, nothing. Is there specific timing on this? I figure it's probably better explained in the earlier parts of the game and the manual but the demo doesn't elucidate on that at all. Thanks man.

#37 Edited by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@kankohii:

Yo, how many different swords are in the game?

(Goddammit, do I want Raiden to have a mask).

He should have the Raiden mask from MGS3.

#38 Edited by Humanity (9207 posts) -

@kankohii: If I were to just play this game once, without any intent on replaying it on harder difficulties or beating my score on past levels - is this worth $60?

#39 Posted by Kankohii (65 posts) -

@greywingedfall: Nothing to worry about with spoilers, especially if you know the patriots are gone.

@reisz said:

@kankohiiThis is likely not what you meant however; I'm still waiting for my copy to come in from the UK so I've been playing the demo repeatedly and I'm having a hell of a time harvesting the spines from successful zan datsu kills. I get the button prompt, press circle and nothing. I've tried timing it perfectly, hitting it before I see the prompt, mashing it, waiting until the animation is finished, nothing. Is there specific timing on this? I figure it's probably better explained in the earlier parts of the game and the manual but the demo doesn't elucidate on that at all. Thanks man.

This is strange. I don't remember having that problem with the demo (I played it many times) or the full game. There is no specific timing really, just you cut the sweet spot and hit circle when the button prompt shows up as you said.. if your controller is giving you trouble elsewhere it could be that.

@ravenlight: There are a variety of HF blades, each with a special property. There's one you get for beating the game that is great for subsequent playthroughs as a direct successor to your original blade, there's a machete (kind of sucks but is good for s-rakning easy mode because other upgraded blades can be too "powerful" to let you hit the combo requirement for points), a stun blade (upgradable to 20% chance to stun per hit, pretty crazy), armor breaker (up to 20% chance to break armor, really nice for the tough enemies), long-sword (long range), and a wooden sword- the most fascinating weapon. The wooden sword can be DOWNgraded to become even weaker. You obviously cant slice things up in blade mode but you can upgrade it enough to make enemies.. disappear.

#40 Edited by Kankohii (65 posts) -

@humanity said:

@kankohii: If I were to just play this game once, without any intent on replaying it on harder difficulties or beating my score on past levels - is this worth $60?

No, hell no.

To elaborate, the unlockable Very Hard mode also changes enemy placements and behaviors, and Revengeance mode is the ultimate adrenaline rush for expert players because it JACKS UP the damage bonus for doing perfect parrys (the animation window for these is HALVED on v. hard/revengeance) 10x while making everything one or two shot you. Of course if you don't care about any of this, why bother with a Platinum game at launch in my opinion.

From the strategy guide: enemy attack rate on easy: 50%. Normal: 100%. Revengeance: 800%. Yeah. I'm going to be playing this for a long time, because i'm not the greatest at action games but I decided to want to be good at this one.

Going for s-ranks completely changes the way you look at the game. It stops being a rollercoaster ride, 6-8 hour spinoff and becomes a thing to be mastered.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.