Demo is very glitchy and has many game-breaking bugs :(

#1 Edited by xyzygy (9993 posts) -

So apparently from the previews of people who have the demo already... it's completely busted. It'll freeze, you'll get trapped in walls, the whole deal. There is only 2 months before release so this makes me worried. GAHH. This video shows Gamespot capturing the bugs - every time the screen fades out, it's because it froze. All I can say is wow.

EDIT: After doing some searching it looks like this is exclusive to PS3. There aren't any reports of 360 version demos having these bugs (so far at least). Wow, so this PS3 ZOE HD collection sounds gimped in multiple ways... Really hope this doesn't turn out to be as bad as Bayonetta was.

#2 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4351 posts) -

Let's hope these issues stay with the demo.

#3 Posted by CaLe (3985 posts) -

Obviously they can't ship a finished product like this... Right??

#4 Edited by xyzygy (9993 posts) -

@CaLe said:

Same company did with Bayonetta... although the bugs weren't gamebreaking it had massive performance flaws. They should learn from their mistakes!

#5 Posted by Yummylee (21652 posts) -

Raiden is much better at stealth than Solid Snake could ever hope to be. Guy can just hide inside the walls!

WHERE'D HE GO!

#6 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4677 posts) -

That sucks if the PS3 version is busted. Are people saying the game is good otherwise at least?

#7 Posted by xyzygy (9993 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan: There are some playthroughs up already. The game looks completely badass, definitely a purchase for me at least.

#8 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4677 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

@ImmortalSaiyan: There are some playthroughs up already. The game looks completely badass, definitely a purchase for me at least.

Nice. I hope the demo is public soon, a shame that you have to buy Zone of the Enders HD in order to play it.

#9 Edited by Dawglet (312 posts) -

I played through the whole demo and didn't have any problems. Either way I doubt any of this will make it into the retail release.

@xyzygy said:

@CaLe said:

Same company did with Bayonetta... although the bugs weren't gamebreaking it had massive performance flaws. They should learn from their mistakes!

Sega handled the PS3 port and after the whole shit storm that happened with that Platinum started developing on the PS3 with Vanquish. They've acknowledged that Bayonetta PS3 was a fuck up.

#10 Posted by Daneian (1229 posts) -

I know its was polished for the show floor, but the PAX Prime demo was perfect.

#11 Posted by Nightriff (5084 posts) -

I hope this is good but with the announcement of Ground Zeroes....kinda could careless about the game especially if it turns out poorly.

#12 Posted by cikame (1001 posts) -

Very unfortunate, with another team entirely working on the ZoE HD product it's possible this isn't the build Platinum would like people to see.
But then with their track record of PS3 games it might be ok to worry.

That being said, this is indeed a demo not representative of final code and i wonder why Gamespot and other sites are producing official articles about it. Talking about it is fine but the front page of a review site?

#13 Posted by Itwastuesday (965 posts) -

I remember the BF3 beta being completely busted one month before the game came out. I thought there was no way that game would ship in a working state, but I was proved wrong on that one, so MGR might be fine.

#14 Posted by Demoskinos (14835 posts) -

@xyzygy: Who cares? Its most likely a really old build of the game.

#15 Posted by xyzygy (9993 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@xyzygy: Who cares? Its most likely a really old build of the game.

How do you know that it's an old build though? Even older, playable builds of the game never had any sort of issues. How does it make any sense to put an older build of a demo that they've been showing off frequently onto a brand new game (ZOE HD)?

I'm thinking that those playable demos at game shows were running off of the dev hardware, and since this new demo is now on platforms, there are inconsistencies. Namely the PS3 version. Gamespot did a little comparison between the two versions and they could not recreate the bugs at all on the 360 version. I'd say it's pretty important because, well, aren't demos supposed to represent how a game plays? If a demo is riddled with bugs it doesn't say much good to someone basing the demo on their decision to buy the full game. I don't know, it kind of got me worried about the final product.

But that was before I learned these issues aren't on the 360 version, because that was the version I was planning on getting anyway. Still, it's worth mentioning in case the demo build is a lot closer to the final build.

#16 Posted by Demoskinos (14835 posts) -

@xyzygy: I say that because that is a thing that happens all the time with demos. One of the more notable recent examples of this was the Kingdoms of Amalur demo. It was riddled with bugs but it was also a really old build of the game. I can't speak to the reasoning of putting an extremely old build out to the public for your demo but it happens so at least personally I never lay final judgement on a game until I'm playing a retail build.

#17 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3393 posts) -

Oh man I'm Having "Post Traumatic Bouncer" all over again. Was looking so forward to that game when it came out but man my hype was shattered with its release.

#18 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
@xyzygy said:

@CaLe said:

Bayonetta's PS3 port was outsourced though, MGR and Vanquish were done in-house at Platinum. I doubt the bugs will be around in the full version.
#19 Posted by Timnoldzim (86 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

EDIT: After doing some searching it looks like this is exclusive to PS3. There aren't any reports of 360 version demos having these bugs (so far at least). Wow, so this PS3 ZOE HD collection sounds gimped in multiple ways... Really hope this doesn't turn out to be as bad as Bayonetta was.

Egh. Come on. If you're gonna have a multiplatform release, then the least you could do is make sure the game works properly on both consoles!

#20 Posted by Raven10 (1790 posts) -

Two thoughts - A game has to go through cert and then production before it ships, so this demo build is at least two months old if not more. On a more cynical front, Now that Ubisoft and EA have decided it's okay to release a busted game and then have users download a massive Day 1 Patch to fix it, why wouldn't others follow? I would have to call it the single worst trend in modern gaming, but I guess at least you can do patches now. Still, I can understand online passes, and overpriced DLC, but I have no respect for companies thinking it is okay to release a broken game. I very strongly hope that this game and all other games in the future are delayed if they are not ready. Day 1 DLC is bad enough. Now we have developers finishing the games after they release them. That is just not the right way to do business. I get how ambitious some of these games are and the limited amount of time they have to develop them, but I would be ashamed as a corporation to put out a broken product just to meet a deadline. Maybe your current quarter results will suffer, but isn't that better than ruining the reputation of your company?

#21 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -

I'm sure the game will be fine when it comes out. If not, I imagine they will do some post launch stuff so that this doesn't turn into Bayonetta.

#22 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

Demos are broken a lot. I would be surprised if the game were anywhere near as buggy. It's unfortunate but ultimately fixable.

#23 Posted by Lukeweizer (2683 posts) -

Demos are demos for a reason people. Move along.

#24 Posted by The_Ruiner (1059 posts) -

Game Informer played it with no problem

#25 Edited by xyzygy (9993 posts) -

@The_Ruiner: They played on 360. And oh god that test chamber is painful.

#26 Edited by cannonballBAM (602 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

@xyzygy: I say that because that is a thing that happens all the time with demos. One of the more notable recent examples of this was the Kingdoms of Amalur demo. It was riddled with bugs but it was also a really old build of the game. I can't speak to the reasoning of putting an extremely old build out to the public for your demo but it happens so at least personally I never lay final judgement on a game until I'm playing a retail build.

Word. I think its just hip to jump on the hate train for anything now a days. The demo plays at 60 FPS and I can cut through almost anything. I love the parry system instead of holding down a button to block or counter. It reminds me of playing Bayonetta on Witch difficulty.

#27 Posted by Demoskinos (14835 posts) -

@cannonballBAM: Haven't gotten to try it out yet but I'm all for a parry system. It means you can't just spam dodge or block everything you have to actively be aware of what your enemies are doing. Looking forward to it.

#28 Posted by cannonballBAM (602 posts) -

@Demoskinos: Yeah I agree with the focus on skill instead of instinct to mash a single button. The responsiveness of the controls is really impressive, I think Japan continues to lead in action game mechanics and combat.

#29 Posted by ninkendo (109 posts) -

Played the demo on PS3 and thought it was great. Very fun and didn't encounter any bugs or freezes.

Looking forward for the full retail release.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.