Do you think Snake will be revealed to be dead in Metal Gear Rising?

  • 66 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -


#3 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

Which Snake?

#4 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

@BraveToaster: The only one left alive? (Big Boss died at the end of MGS4.)

#5 Posted by FLStyle (4648 posts) -

Yep, way more than 6 months has passed since MGS4 (9 years to be specific), unless the Konami Cops got to Kojima and make him make Snake survive as a cyber/mysteriously young again/A.I. because CASH COW!

Or

They can do that weird spin-off thing were they give the most loose of references that neither confirm nor deny events in the Metal Gear Solid series.

Online
#6 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

@FLStyle said:

Unless the Konami Cops got to Kojima and make him make Snake survive as a cyber/mysteriously young again/A.I. because CASH COW!

Oh God that would be the worst thing to happen if this became true.

#7 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

@Hizang said:

@BraveToaster: The only one left alive? (Big Boss died at the end of MGS4.)

Oh, I never finished MGS4, but I was under the impression that he was cloned or could be cloned multiple times.

#8 Posted by Hizang (8533 posts) -

@BraveToaster: Big Boss was cloned and that made Solid, Liquid and Solidus, the scientists who did it were all killed by Grey Fox. Big Boss killed the last member of the old team in MGS4, so unless there was a paper trail, nobody could reproduce the same results.

#9 Edited by CrossTheAtlantic (1145 posts) -

@FLStyle: @Hizang: They just replace him with Bill Corbett and even though he's very good, they're just something off about him and his voice, and it's never the same.

Also nanomachined.

#10 Posted by Soap (3575 posts) -

@Hizang said:

@BraveToaster: Big Boss was cloned and that made Solid, Liquid and Solidus, the scientists who did it were all killed by Grey Fox. Big Boss killed the last member of the old team in MGS4, so unless there was a paper trail, nobody could reproduce the same results.

I know the clones were also altered so that they could never reproduce (to be used as a weapon by the enemy) if that means clones also then it wouldn't matter either way.

Also I hope that he is dead, not because I dislike him or anything, in fact he's probably one of my favourite game characters ever but they should really just let him rest and be finished with a cool legacy and story, keep farming it out and no one will care.

#11 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1726 posts) -
@Hizang said:

@FLStyle said:

Unless the Konami Cops got to Kojima and make him make Snake survive as a cyber/mysteriously young again/A.I. because CASH COW!

Oh God that would be the worst thing to happen if this became true.

It already happened in MGS4. Snake was meant to die. 
#12 Posted by DeF (4848 posts) -

@Hizang: No since Kojima already said there are "more Snake stories" to tell when he announced MGS5 a few months ago.

#13 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3780 posts) -

I'm guessing they'll imply he's dead and/or not mention him, only to have him show up or offer some advice on the codec at an integral moment, completely nullifying any good will they left fans with after MGS 4 that hadn't been squandered by the twist at the end of that game.

(I'm not afraid to admit I almost cried in the Microwave, and when Otacon says "Snake... lead a hard life.")

#14 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (732 posts) -

@BraveToaster said:

@Hizang said:

@BraveToaster: The only one left alive? (Big Boss died at the end of MGS4.)

Oh, I never finished MGS4, but I was under the impression that he was cloned or could be cloned multiple times.

They talk a bit about Snake/Liquid/Solidus all having terminator genes which prevent cloning, as well as an in-built inability to naturally reproduce. Although there seems to be some mixed opinions on this, with some sources saying the terminator genes simply prevent natural reproduction alone. But having played through it again very recently, I'm almost certain that Naomi specifically mentions that these genes prevent cloning so that if any of the clones were captured by an enemy state they couldn't be cloned.

#15 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

@Hizang: @dekkadekkadekka: Okay, that makes sense, but which country has access to regular Snake's bones? Is it possible that there is in fact a new team trying to create more clones? Most of my Metal Gear knowledge is from Snake Eater and a few PSP games.

#16 Posted by jclane (337 posts) -

If this was still the MGS Rising game under Kojima Productions then I would have said yes, he'd get a mention or two within the confines of the story. Now that Platinum Games have taken the mantle and seem to be trying to distance Revengeance from being a Solid game (no pun intended, even that part of the title was dropped), I highly doubt Snake will appear in any shape more than a bonus costume easter egg deal type thingymajig.

#17 Posted by Heltom92 (707 posts) -

@Wrighteous86 said:

I'm guessing they'll imply he's dead and/or not mention him, only to have him show up or offer some advice on the codec at an integral moment, completely nullifying any good will they left fans with after MGS 4 that hadn't been squandered by the twist at the end of that game.

(I'm not afraid to admit I almost cried in the Microwave, and when Otacon says "Snake... lead a hard life.")

I really liked that Snake didn't kill himself, he still only had a few months to live but he could live it as a normal person not as a solider.

#18 Posted by Aleryn (704 posts) -

Doubt it. Seems Konami won't let him just DIE. Should have been dead by the end of 4.

#19 Posted by stinky (1544 posts) -

Snake?

#20 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

I hope they don't bother Snake at all in Revengeance. He's earned his rest.

#21 Edited by coaxmetal (1602 posts) -

Rising supposedly takes place before MGS4 when Raiden was a cyborg, so no.

e: well hes still a cyborg but I mean when he was doing the stuff he did before 4. Maybe they changed that somewhere during the development but thats what I heard.

Online
#22 Posted by Wrighteous86 (3780 posts) -

@Heltom92: I liked that too, as long as it stays that way; considering MGS4 was almost entirely physical and emotional torture for Snake, he deserved a bit of respite before death. Unfortunately, the cynic in me sees them squeezing as many games and cameos into those few months as they can. If we never see him again, I'll continue loving that ending. If we do, I'll hate it. Like FFX-2.

#23 Posted by thechronodarkness (294 posts) -

Its been said on Konamis facebook that you'll get to play that part you see raiden for the first time in mgs4. So I would say you could potentionally see both an alive and dead snake. Maybe... Seems like this game is going to jump across timelines alot. Some say its going to feature raiden going to save olgas child. Then sources have it during mgs4, and some after.

#24 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I twill turn out that everyone has been dead since the fight with The Sorrow in MGS3. Bruce Willis will also be there.

#25 Posted by Heltom92 (707 posts) -

@Wrighteous86 said:

@Heltom92: I liked that too, as long as it stays that way; considering MGS4 was almost entirely physical and emotional torture for Snake, he deserved a bit of respite before death. Unfortunately, the cynic in me sees them squeezing as many games and cameos into those few months as they can. If we never see him again, I'll continue loving that ending. If we do, I'll hate it. Like FFX-2.

Yea that's true, as much as I like Snake as a character, they should probably just leave him be.

#26 Posted by Phatmac (5724 posts) -

I hope not. I'd rather let it be left alone and let people wonder about his fate.

#27 Posted by ThePhantomStranger (354 posts) -

If it was just Raiden and Snake sitting on a porch sipping drinks near the end of Snake's last days that might be fine...

#28 Posted by SmilingPig (1337 posts) -
#29 Posted by jclane (337 posts) -

@Riboflavin said:

Rising supposedly takes place before MGS4 when Raiden was a cyborg, so no.

e: well hes still a cyborg but I mean when he was doing the stuff he did before 4. Maybe they changed that somewhere during the development but thats what I heard.

That might've been the case when the game was still called MGS:Rising, but now the game is slated to take place in 2023, so 9ish years after MGS4.

#30 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

Nah he'll be referenced a few times but his actual fate will be left ambiguous on purpose. I don't think they would reveal Snake's fate in a non-metal gear solid game.

#31 Posted by FLStyle (4648 posts) -

@Riboflavin said:

Rising supposedly takes place before MGS4 when Raiden was a cyborg, so no.

e: well hes still a cyborg but I mean when he was doing the stuff he did before 4. Maybe they changed that somewhere during the development but thats what I heard.

You sir are behind the times with your Rising knowledge. Back was Kojima Productions was developing it under the name Metal Gear Solid: Rising it was set inbetween MGS2 and MGS4. But now, since early 2011, Platinum Games are developing it, it's now called Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and it's set 9 years after MGS4.

Online
#32 Posted by coaxmetal (1602 posts) -

oh ok, cool. I didn't know they updated the story/setting too. I just got super psyched about platinum doing it, esp when I saw combat footage.

Online
#33 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7614 posts) -

I think moving away from the Snake stuff and not even mentioning him would be best.

#34 Posted by yoshisaur (2700 posts) -

I think it would be silly to kill him off completely, so I believe there will be a couple of cameo's somewhere in there to find. Other than that, I think it's best that they move on and expand.

#35 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

Thing is, they want to make money with MGS5, yet, introducing a new character would be really against nature, since people hated Raiden in MGS2. So, what to do with Snake now? Re-clone him to cast him again? Let him die? Have him wheelchair is way to war?

#36 Posted by phrali (646 posts) -

he will probably die but his arm wilk be attached to someone else and his consciousness will possess that person. Or something completely batshit retarded like that

#37 Posted by MildMolasses (3218 posts) -

Does it even matter? If he is dead, they just repurpose another character to fill in the roles. In MGS 3 and peace walker, you aren't playing as him, even though you're pretty much playing as him. The weird thing is, the end of MGS4 seemed to very clearly be setting up a continuation of the universe that allowed them to keep a "snake" but nothing ever came of it. Johnny seemed to be a clone, even though no one seemed to think it was a big deal that he looked just like snake. Sunny steps in as the new Otacon and Meryl as the new Campbell. Seemed really obvious to me, but no else seems to think so

Online
#38 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10827 posts) -

I bet there's a level where Raiden does nothing but kill rogue Snake clones.

Moderator
#39 Posted by Encephalon (1240 posts) -

He should have blown his damned brains out in that graveyard!

#40 Posted by White (1339 posts) -

Even if he did appear, I read somewhere that MGR isn't canonical. Not sure if source was trolling or not though.

#41 Edited by MooseyMcMan (10827 posts) -

@White said:

Even if he did appear, I read somewhere that MGR isn't canonical. Not sure if source was trolling or not though.

I'm pretty sure that was a lie. Metal Gear 2 on the NES (specifically Snake's Revenge and the Metal Gear Ac!d games are the only non-canon ones (I think).

Moderator
#42 Posted by Dagbiker (6957 posts) -

If it is established he is dead, then in this game or the next there will be a clone of him.

#43 Posted by Quarters (1664 posts) -

I wouldn't be surprised. He was only supposed to have about six months left at the end of MGS4.

#44 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10827 posts) -

In the end it's going to turn out that Snake was inside one of Raiden's arms all along.

Spoilers.

Moderator
#45 Posted by ThunderSlash (1639 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

In the end it's going to turn out that Snake was inside Raiden's sword all along.

Spoilers.

Fixed.

Solid Snake the talking cyber sword motherfuckers.

#46 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Doubt it, what would metal gear be without Snake?

#47 Edited by Soapy86 (2620 posts) -

It will be revealed in a post-credits phone or codec call that Snake is alive and well, foreshadowing the next Solid Snake game.

#48 Posted by doosmacleod (187 posts) -

@ThunderSlash said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

In the end it's going to turn out that Snake was inside Raiden's sword all along.

Spoilers.

Fixed.

Solid Snake the talking cyber sword motherfuckers.

Preordering seventeen copies right now.

#49 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

Aaaaaah! This thread made me remember how batshit insane Metal Gear fiction is! Aaaaah!

#50 Posted by AndrewB (7567 posts) -

I don't care about Snake. I just want them to reveal that the DARPA Chief is still alive.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.