Does Metal Gear Rising contain spoilers for the main series?

#1 Posted by SuperSambo (2853 posts) -

Hey!

I got this game through PS+ and Im looking forward to completing it, but I was wonding if it contains spoilers for the main game.

I completed 1 and 2 when they came out, but that is the (very hazy) extent of my knowledge!

So, should I complete 3 and 4 before I touch this? This most likely means I wont touch it for a while as they are a bit down my list and I don't have as much time as I used to to game.

Thanks for your help.

TL:DR - The topic title sums it up. Thanks!

#2 Posted by wjb (1637 posts) -

Not really.

#3 Posted by RE_Player1 (7549 posts) -

Maybe a little for 4 but overall no.

#4 Posted by tourgen (4427 posts) -

none that I can think of. it's great, you should play it now! the bosses are sooooooo good. the DLC is pretty good stuff too.

#5 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1439 posts) -

Not much, but you may be able to infer some of Raiden's MGS 4 arc based on things in MGR.

#6 Posted by RE_Player1 (7549 posts) -

@tourgen said:

none that I can think of. it's great, you should play it now! the bosses are sooooooo good. the DLC is pretty good stuff too.

They made the dlc free which is pretty cool.

#7 Posted by ViciousBearMauling (897 posts) -

Tiny, totally unimportant spoilers for MGS4.

Also maybe MGS2 with some codec conversations referring to Raiden's childhood (Jack The Ripper)

#8 Posted by august (3827 posts) -

Nanomachines.

#9 Posted by SunBroZak (1017 posts) -

You'll be too caught up in the crazy stuff that's happening to notice.

#10 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10475 posts) -

If you haven't beaten MGS3 or MGS4 yet, and don't really plan on playing them, then don't worry. The only thing it "spoils" is the state of the world and the PMCs around the world at the end of MGS4, but if you haven't played MGS4, then that won't mean anything.

You'll be fine.

#11 Posted by Turambar (6675 posts) -

Raiden is a robot ninja now. Nothing really other than that.

#12 Edited by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

I don't count MGR as cannon

#13 Edited by Quarters (1629 posts) -

It really only spoils the state of the world since MGS4. That's about it. Also, just the existence of a few minor characters(either by direct appearance or primarily by brief codec mention) shows they obviously didn't die previously.

#14 Edited by SuperSambo (2853 posts) -

Thanks for the feedback! Really looking forward to getting into it.

#15 Edited by ll_Exile_ll (1439 posts) -

@xalienxgreyx said:

I don't count MGR as cannon

Also, it is canon. Deal with it.

#16 Posted by Yummylee (21251 posts) -
@msavo said:

@tourgen said:

It isn't for Europe, though. Because of course it isn't.

#17 Posted by RE_Player1 (7549 posts) -

@yummylee said:
@msavo said:

@tourgen said:

It isn't for Europe, though. Because of course it isn't.

Weird. Base game free for Playstation Plus in Europe and dlc free for all in North America. I guess that's the trade off.

#18 Posted by wjb (1637 posts) -

Interestingly enough, I think the biggest "spoiler" in Revengeance is: Raiden survives MGS4. It's silly, but if I never played MGS4 before and Revengeance didn't exist, there would at least be some suspense to certain parts of the game involving Raiden, like when I actually played it five years ago.

#19 Posted by csl316 (8110 posts) -

@msavo said:

@tourgen said:

Oh god, so they did. Thanks for this amazing news, I've been listening to the OST and watching boss battles since it started strong in the music of the generation thread. Now I have an excuse to go back!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.