Does the game feel slow for everyone else? (PC)

#1 Posted by weirdo (150 posts) -

I watched the latest quick look and everything looked so fast and awesome, I bought the game and it feels like the game is running at x0.6 - 0.9 speed instead of x1.00 (think of DVD speed) My GPU can run it fine, Nvidia 680 and I have the latest driver. Anyone else?

#2 Posted by ripelivejam (4883 posts) -

tweak graphics settings, vsync is usually a culprit in cases like this.

it's probably similar to the weird framerate shit in pc fighting games like SFIV and MK9 where if it goes anywhere below the locked framerate it goes all slow-mo. *shrugs*

#3 Edited by believer258 (12206 posts) -

Turn off VSync, see if that helps, or lower settings somewhere else. Turn those Zan... Whatever settings down to Medium. Applying a physics to a billion tiny pieces and keeping them onscreen could mess with performance, too, especially if your processor isn't up to it.

#4 Edited by noizy (716 posts) -

Some game engines are locked/synced to the refresh rate of your screen. Dunno if this one is. So far example if you are running at 30Hz, the engine could be running at half speed. I know Joe Danger does that. (Discovered it pipping the game to a TV in 30Hz; have since swapped to an HDMI cable that had enough bandwidth to do 60Hz over 50ft; an active Redmere cable). Make sure your screen settings are at 60Hz. In Windows, if you are displaying at 1080i, it automatically sets you to 30Hz.

Some workaround you can try: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Metal_Gear_Rising:_Revengeance#HDMI_monitors:_Stuck_at_1080p24_.2F_1080i60

#5 Posted by Humanity (10117 posts) -

@noizy: the game is made to run at 24-30hz I'm pretty sure. My monitor is set to 100hz but when I ran the game it switched to a lower refresh rate.

#6 Edited by noizy (716 posts) -

@humanity said:

@noizy: the game is made to run at 24-30hz I'm pretty sure. My monitor is set to 100hz but when I ran the game it switched to a lower refresh rate.

Yea. Since it's a console game, it wouldn't be a surprising. Not sure what the correct refresh is, but what I wanted to say is that the slowdown might be due to this framerate locking.

So the game forced you down to 24-30Hz. Interesting. So the game would be sped up if it was forced at 60Hz and was locked to framerate, not slowed down. I wonder if this is one the thing the upcoming Durante fix will clear up. I don't have the game, so I dunno the specifics.

#7 Posted by weirdo (150 posts) -

Running the game in window mode fixes it, there is no way to turn off Vsynch in the game nor have I found any pref.ini or any config files for that matter in SteamLibrary or in My Documents, so running the game in window mode fixes the issue (window mode is actually big)

#8 Edited by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

I had the same issue on a 6870. Trying to run it in 1080p fullscreen caused the screen to go blurry, framerate locked down to 50, huge framedrops, everything slowed down and HUD elements flickered - probably the already mentioned HDMI 24hz issue. Changing the fullscreen resolution to the I think 1680x1050 fixed all the issues and the game still rendered at 1080p for whatever reason.

#9 Posted by crithon (3456 posts) -

so, does anyone know if there's anti alising applied to the menus and ui? or some sort of rescalling? Unlike most PC games usually Menus and UI are the biggest tell about resolutions. Like once the game loads up BOOM Slow down.

#10 Edited by BiGDeN67 (4 posts) -

@humanity: The game is not made to run that low. It's supposed to run at 60fps. The reason for it being that low is a bug in the game with HDTV's connected via HDMI. I have the same problem and a dev said they're working on fixing it. The bug locks the frame rate at 24fps (which is unplayable and unacceptable) when in fullscreen mode.

#11 Posted by BiGDeN67 (4 posts) -

Are you running your Pc on an HDTV via HDMI by chance? There's a bug that locks the frame-rate at 24fps in fullscreen mode. They're supposed to be working on a fix for it. You can use a free program called Fullscreenizer which you turn on when in windowed mode and it'll make the game full screen windowed.

#12 Edited by tourgen (4542 posts) -

It's a 60fps game on the consoles.

HDMI sucks. Don't ever use it if you can avoid it.

#13 Posted by Xanadu (424 posts) -

I have my pc hooked up to an HDTV via HDMI and I have it locked it in at 60fps. In full screen But I'm only running it at 720p (1366x768). Could 1080 be the issue? I also noticed while tweaking that AA had biggest effect on performance.

#14 Posted by crithon (3456 posts) -

the game runs on Voodoo I tells ya.

#15 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@xanadu said:

I also noticed while tweaking that AA had biggest effect on performance.

That and ambient occlusion are always what tank your frame rates. (unless it's FXAA which is performance friendly, but can be blurry)

#16 Posted by weirdo (150 posts) -

@bigden67 said:

Are you running your Pc on an HDTV via HDMI by chance? There's a bug that locks the frame-rate at 24fps in fullscreen mode. They're supposed to be working on a fix for it. You can use a free program called Fullscreenizer which you turn on when in windowed mode and it'll make the game full screen windowed.

Thanks but no thanks, running it on Windows mode isn't so bad, it's still the same size as 1080p! :D

@tourgen said:

It's a 60fps game on the consoles.

HDMI sucks. Don't ever use it if you can avoid it.

Could you please elaborate on this? I have never heard of HDMI mucking up games

#17 Edited by Yesiamaduck (1231 posts) -

Run windowed mode, download fullscreenizer, enjoy ur sixty fps 1080p full screen game on hdmi

Crysis 1 and 2 had the same issue

#18 Posted by crithon (3456 posts) -

Run windowed mode, download fullscreenizer, enjoy ur sixty fps 1080p full screen game on hdmi

excuse me, what is "fullscreenizer"? This is new to me

#19 Posted by Yesiamaduck (1231 posts) -

It makes Windowed game run fullscreen, it's designed for this specific hdmi glitch

#20 Posted by crithon (3456 posts) -
#21 Posted by Yesiamaduck (1231 posts) -

Yes, it should fix it

#22 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4495 posts) -

I use nvidia adaptive sync as default for all my games so RISING was running fine for me at 60 fps but I had to turn down the AA due to excessive screen-tearing. The game doesn't seem like it should be that demanding so I'm guessing it's poor optimization but I guess this port could have turned out to be a lot worse so I'm not complaining.

Oh and I'm running through HDMI at the moment, switching over to displayport soon but I haven't had issues on HDMI.

Win 8.1

i7/GTX 770

#23 Posted by barberforce (107 posts) -

I have got Rising for both Xbox and PC. I find the PC version is much quicker at responding to what you have just pressed. I found it frustrating at time on the 360 Version to pull of parrys. But with the same controller plugged into my pc i'm flying through normal difficulty without any issue.

Plus... it looks crisp as hell on my PC and my PC is coming up to being 4 years old.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.