Does this have MGS 4 Spoilers?

#1 Posted by Counterclockwork87 (677 posts) -

I want to buy this game but I haven't really played MGS 4. I just recently got MGS 4 and have only played the very beginning but I want to get revengence. Should I wait until i finish mgs 4 or does it not matter and I can play revengence without spoiling anything about 4 (other than Raiden is now cool). Thanks.

#2 Posted by Chaser324 (6584 posts) -

While this game does take place in the same world as those other Metal Gear games, the plot is largely pretty standalone. It references things in MGS4, but not to the extent that I'd say it actually spoils any of the major plot points of that game.

#3 Posted by JayEH (534 posts) -

NANO MACHINES.

#4 Posted by McDayman (101 posts) -

While this game does take place in the same world as those other Metal Gear games, the plot is largely pretty standalone. It references things in MGS4, but not to the extent that I'd say it actually spoils any of the major plot points of that game.

I would disagree, honestly. Especially in the codec conversations, Revengeance likes to explicitly recall events from previous MGS games. I really think that if you want to experience the story and cool moments of MGS4 spoiler free, you should play it before this.

#5 Edited by LucidDreams117 (397 posts) -

I haven't even played it but I'm gonna guess and give it a no. Though I'm pissed that this game is considered canon and they ruined Raidens story after 4, I think you're gonna be okay. I still recommend finishing MGS4 first. You never know. Plus it'll ruin the ending of 4 in terms of Raidens story. If you care at all about him. I know I do. Then again I'm in the small camp who actually really loved MGS2.

#6 Edited by Chaser324 (6584 posts) -

@mcdayman said:

@chaser324 said:

I would disagree, honestly. Especially in the codec conversations, Revengeance likes to explicitly recall events from previous MGS games. I really think that if you want to experience the story and cool moments of MGS4 spoiler free, you should play it before this.

True, but the codec conversations are optional so you can avoid them.

If you want to be 100% spoiler free though, you're right that you shouldn't play MGR before MGS4.

#7 Posted by MildMolasses (3221 posts) -

I could tell you explicitly what happens in MGS IV and you still wouldn't know what had happened. You have nothing to worry about by playing Revengeance

#8 Posted by Aetheldod (3593 posts) -

Not that I can recall :/ , you may wonder about the geckos and a few things but this game is pretty much stand alone in terms of the story so I dont think you will get spoiled at all.

#9 Edited by daggon55 (114 posts) -

I could tell you explicitly what happens in MGS IV and you still wouldn't know what had happened. You have nothing to worry about by playing Revengeance

This is kinda true, I played Revengeance just recently and I played MGS4 when it came out and there were a bunch of times I where I could not recall what they were talking about. Forunately minutes later I could just go "oh right, cut fools in half, ok."

#10 Edited by DonutFever (3551 posts) -

Characters who live, maybe. Like Raiden.

#11 Edited by StrainedEyes (1325 posts) -

You have MGS4, play MGS4. Wait till you're done to buy Revengeance.

#12 Posted by Counterclockwork87 (677 posts) -

Ok, thanks for the responses guys, I'll finish MGS 4 first.

#13 Posted by crithon (3307 posts) -

I'm going to spoil the biggest one, "Nanomachine son" is basically a joke at MGS4 stupid explaination for everything that happen in MGS2.

But yeah, there's a big plot point near the end, that you don't want to know unless you beat MGS4. The BEST news, no Rose, "Your room was empty, empty like your heart."

#14 Posted by Demoskinos (14871 posts) -

It doesn't have a ton of them but there are a few and there are things that they reference that you would only get if you were aware of events in MGS4.

#15 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3440 posts) -

It spoils the fact that Raiden survived Metal Gear Solid 4. ; /

#16 Edited by Hunkulese (2742 posts) -

The only way to not spoil MGS 4 is to quickly eject the disc and snap it as soon as it looks like a second ending is starting.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.