Gray Fox playable in MGS Rising?

#1 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

I just found this trailer while looking for more information on MGS Rising. It seems that you will be able to play as the very best Cyborg Ninja Gray Fox, sure it looks like just a costume change but it makes me wish they scrapped this whole Raiden thing and made it about Gray Fox.

Cause Gray Fox is awesome!

#2 Posted by BisonHero (6453 posts) -

Oh fuck, imagine if they just retconned some of MGS' (already bullshit) timeline and made a whole game about some never-before-mentioned series of missions Gray Fox did in the suit, before Shadow Moses, before it drove him insane. Or something.

In short:

Gray Fox > Raiden

#3 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10919 posts) -

It's just a costume.

Kojima did say that his idea was for a game about Grey Fox, but everyone else wanted it about Raiden, so he let them make a game about Raiden.

And really, given the time frame in which a Grey Fox centered game would have to take place (without bringing him back from the dead), I think a Raiden game is the better choice. It allows for way crazier stuff.

Moderator Online
#4 Edited by Garfield518 (404 posts) -

It's just a pre-order costume dealie.

Though I think it's free with every EU version.

#5 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

Kojima did say that his idea was for a game about Grey Fox, but everyone else wanted it about Raiden, so he let them make a game about Raiden.

Wait who are these people, do they have a disease that makes them crazy?

#6 Posted by TheHT (11155 posts) -

I am going to buy this shit out of this.

Still not as cool as playing as Grey Fox in VR Missions though. That might be the most enjoyment I had with a Metal Gear anything. Man, I really loved VR Missions. The detective mission, the UFO missions, the Godzilla Genome Soldier mission. So silly.

#7 Posted by TheHT (11155 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

MOTHER FUCKING WHAT?!?!?

#8 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

I'm going to have to pre-order from GameStop so I can get that. Grey Fox is too bad-ass to pass up.

#9 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10919 posts) -

@Hizang said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

Wait who are these people, do they have a disease that makes them crazy?

Those people are the people that Kojima works with, and who made the game (or at least before Platinum made it).

Also, Raiden is a way better choice for this type of game. Grey Fox would just be fighting soldiers and tanks and junk. Raiden's got robots and Metal Gears to fight.

Moderator Online
#10 Edited by Hizang (8532 posts) -

@TheHT said:

Still not as cool as playing as Grey Fox in VR Missions though. That might be the most enjoyment I had with a Metal Gear anything. Man, I really loved VR Missions. The detective mission, the UFO missions, the Godzilla Genome Soldier mission. So silly.

I was never good enough at the game to get to the Gray Fox missions, those were quite late game.

@TheHT said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

MOTHER FUCKING WHAT?!?!?

I know right, this doesn't seem like Metal Gear Solid fans would say.

@MooseyMcMan said:

Also, Raiden is a way better choice for this type of game. Grey Fox would just be fighting soldiers and tanks and junk. Raiden's got robots and Metal Gears to fight.

I suppose that is more appealing, but I don't know, I still think it would be cool.

#11 Posted by TheHT (11155 posts) -

@Hizang: Oh man, they were really cool! I think there were only 3, the first where you attack targets, the second where you attack soldiers, and the third one WHERE YOU MOTHERFUCKING ASSASSINATE SOLID SNAKE AND HE SCREAMS THE SCREAM AND YOU GET THE FUCK OUTTA THERE.

#12 Posted by EuanDewar (4899 posts) -

Raiden is better

#13 Posted by phrali (646 posts) -

kojima wanted fox but there was overwhelming demand for raiden....im gonna go ahead and say thats complete bullshit. No one fucking likes raiden except kojimas crazy ass and everyone loves gray fox.

#14 Posted by MikkaQ (10284 posts) -

Raiden makes more sense because there's actually room for it to happen in the timeline where Grey Fox was a boss from Metal Gear 2 that came back to fight Snake.

Plus if you want to play as Grey Fox there's always VR missions.

#15 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

Gray Fox!?

#16 Posted by Gaff (1712 posts) -

@Fredchuckdave said:

Gray Fox!?

Grey Fox?!

#17 Posted by crazyleaves (645 posts) -

@Gaff said:

@Fredchuckdave said:

Gray Fox!?

Grey Fox?!

I love how every Metal Gear thread has this in one way or another.

#18 Posted by Miketakon (514 posts) -

@EuanDewar said:

Raiden is better

#19 Edited by Yummylee (21547 posts) -

@TheHT said:

I'd consider it to be one of my favourite Metal Gear games for those very reasons! Absolutely hilarious, like the final detective mission where you couldn't do anything but wait until the timer ran out, revealing that the guy actually just felt asleep on a pool of tomato sauce....

KOJIMMAAAAAAAAAAAA!

#20 Posted by Sick_Sick_Sick (86 posts) -

who knows if it sells well we could get a mgs3 style prequel staring gray fox!

#21 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Now I want to press X to go "HURT.. ME... MOAR!"

#22 Posted by Crixaliz (782 posts) -

Thighs and hips seem a little disproportionate

#23 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

I have as much MGS1 nostalgia as the next MGS fan but making a game where you play Gray Fox would be dumb.

Also I never actually noticed that Raiden's Rising costume is different to his MGS4 one. Then again, I haven't played MGS4 since it was new. Personally I'd like to see Raiden's MGS2 costume.

#24 Edited by BisonHero (6453 posts) -

@MysteriousBob said:

Personally I'd like to see Raiden's MGS2 costume.

You mean the one that's basically just a scuba suit with a weird ribcage on it that is the least cool infiltration spy-suit every designed?

Nothing beats the suit worn by MGS1 Snake. It predates Kojima having so much creative control that he made sure every costume is skintight to the character's ass.

#25 Posted by N7 (3587 posts) -
@MysteriousBob: Indeed. It's also important to note that Gray Fox worked with Big Boss for quite a while, so he'll most likely be in Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain, so we'll be seeing quite a bit of him there.
#26 Posted by Yummylee (21547 posts) -

@BisonHero said:

@MysteriousBob said:

Personally I'd like to see Raiden's MGS2 costume.

You mean the one that's basically just a scuba suit with a weird ribcage on it that is the least cool infiltration spy-suit every designed?

Nothing beats the suit worn by MGS1 Snake. It predates Kojima having so much creative control that he made sure every costume is skintight to the character's ass.

I've always loved Snake's Iroquois Pliskin outfit, if only because it was the first time you see him finally unleash that epic mullet of his. I can remember enjoying playing through the Pliskin ''Snake's Tales'' mission in Substance over and over just to... mess around as Plisken. I should also add that I was like 12 at the time.

#27 Edited by BisonHero (6453 posts) -

@Yummylee: Yeah, it was neat seeing Snake take on a different persona, even though he kinda still acted like Snake, only as Pliskin he didn't let on that he is capable of accomplishing just about anything.

#28 Posted by LotusPrince (20 posts) -

Boner level: MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE!

#29 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Gray Fox in the Twin Snakes was pure epicnesnesnes, he was able to slice bullets like a mother fudger!

#30 Posted by Brighty (251 posts) -

@Sick_Sick_Sick said:

who knows if it sells well we could get a mgs3 style prequel staring gray fox!

I have a good feeling this game is going to sell well, and Platnium could use the sales success. No doubt that they'll be on for a sequel - it would be neat if Metal Gear Rising became its own spin-off brand. I wouldn't be surprised if Metal Gear Rising 2 was a prequel starring Gray Fox before Shadow Moses (with a few, uh, artistic liberties when it came to the action)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.