How is the Revengeance hype for the PC version?

• 64 results
#51 Posted by Humanity (10137 posts) -

Well I played it a bit last night.

I was pretty excited for this, mainly because there have been no new games out for a while and I skipped Revengeance over when it came out on consoles in favor of DmC.

Initially I had issues with my AMD card related to overscan, but that is not MGR specific. Basically despite turning on fullscreen (and the first time the game launched it did so in windowed mode for some reason) I still had black borders around the gameplay area. This is because AMD for some reason decided to keep separate overscan settings for each refresh rate on a given resolution - bu I digress.

The game itself made a shoddy impression at first. I had played the demo so I was familiar with the controls, which I thought were explained a bit better in the demo? Graphically I found the game incredibly subpar. I've just finished playing Assassins Creed Black Flag, and that game looks really great in most areas, and does a decent job of masking the bad parts. Revengeance simply looks dated. I'm not a graphics nazi myself, I mean I enjoy a nice looking game as much as the next dood, but it looks rough. Not sure if this is a performance issues since it happens during cutscenes but it feels like instead of going into cinematic slowdown the game starts dropping heavy frames. Maybe this is an intentional effect? It doesn't look great.

My second issue is with the gameplay itself. As mentioned above I've just come off playing Black Flag. Ironically it is also a game that heavily centers around waiting for enemies to hit you so you can parry and counter attack, albeit it's extremely easy in AC. Being no stranger to character action and having beaten Bayonetta in the past along with the new DmC most recently I don't have any issues with understand the concept of parrying: press toward your opponent and hit light attack. I even figured out you can hold this position if you parry too early, in which case you still block but don't get a chance for a counter. What I'm hoping is that this mechanic starts to grow on you over time because currently, despite knowing what to do, I still manage to somehow miss it half the time, or rather my character seems to wiff air and get hit which is frustrating. Now I realize video games aren't alive so if I'm wiffing on attacks then it's something that I'm not doing correctly rather than Raiden trying to spite me.

Mainly I'm having problems recognizing why some things happen the way they do. Sometimes I parry perfectly and I don't get a chance for a slowdown chop attack. Sometimes I parry and it gives me the option to start chopping them up. I like to use the ninja-run to slide into bad guys which sometimes lets me chop them up and sometimes it counts as just a regular hit. When the mini Geckos(sp?) wind up a kick I've been able to parry it countless times without ever getting a chance to cut him up. I just don't really get it?

Thanks to @hakunin and the video he posted I realized there is a store to buy moves at all - but I had only defeated the first miniboss: the dog with chainsaw tail, so maybe the game just hasn't introduced it yet?

Overall: impressions weren't that favorable for me. I enjoy the ridiculousness, but the fighting feels kinda weird and limited. By limited I mean that unlike other character action titles where in the beginning I feel like I have all this freedom to attack my enemies and learn all these combos, in MGR I feel right from the start, even with the most basic enemy I kind of have to dilly dally, wait to get attacked because attacking myself could lead to someone else attacking me and I'd be locked in mid swing unable to dodge or counter. I'm sure it will all come together with time, it just sucks that they do such a terrible job at showcasing their own combat system.

#52 Edited by crithon (3456 posts) -

@humanity: actually had a close friend react the same way as you, the combat didn't seem right after playing something else he loved more. And have that discussion with him RIGHT NOW. I don't know if it's always right to expect the same thing considering Platinum is known from DMC, Bayonetta, Godhand and Viewtiful Joe, all of which are different in their own respects. But then my friend is saying "Why can't it play more like Xmen Origins Wolverine" which is something I didn't expect to hear. But yeah the game never really gives a proper tutorial or even just a right way to play, but then do any of these games ever really do? DMC3 is probably the best example of "when it clicks" type of design that seems to happen only to a few truly devoted fans. Because that whole "Quirky mechanic" is in almost any game, and it doesn't click for everyone right away.

What Metal Gear Rising does right is it does something very fast pace and embraces it, the whole slow down and then feeling like a surgeon taking out the glowing spine and then the whole thunderclap strike when he crushes it. This along with the music and the story, it's just a whole new breed of dumb video gaminess, that could have been made in the PS2 era.

And yes, the chip set problem is being talked about everywhere it seemed to like happen on launch nothing like before hand prepared anyone. I'm playing it on a laptop and it powered down randomly, maybe I killed it?

#53 Posted by Humanity (10137 posts) -

@crithon: Well that's the thing. I didn't have issue with Bayonetta, or DmC. I knew exactly how to play those games and just got better at the execution over time. With MGR I just don't really know how to play it after defeating the first "boss." I don't know why some things happen when they do. I feel like I shouldn't play it offensively but the defense seems sluggish and kind of boring. It's just weird.

#54 Posted by crithon (3456 posts) -

@humanity: well I hate to break this to you, but your not going to learn this about till second to last boss. I'm not going to pretend the game doesn't have a horrible tutorial system, but I think it's more my own sense of tolerance. The game really is meant to be replayed, and trying to just unlock new stuff. I guess your going to find some excuse to continue on, I'm not going to pressure you. Hell, I say if it doesn't float your boat then don't bother.

#55 Edited by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

@humanity: MGR was my favorite game last year and your points are all valid, I had a miserable time with the demo at first. Missed parries, no get-out-of-jail-free-dodge, Raiden controlled kinda weird and ninja running up some walls was (and still is) janky but it all grew on me once I forgot about Bayo and DMC. Well, I still think the secondary weapons were all rushed and not really worth using. The basic fodder enemies are just that on lower difficulty settings, anything you can hack to pieces without weakening it first is there for you to style on. It gets ridiculous on Very Hard when enemies don't care if you're already fighting someone else, they're all on you at all times.

I've had some missing Zandatsu prompts on PC against regular Gekkos, no idea why and I don't remember them being a problem on console.

#56 Posted by crithon (3456 posts) -

@ervonymous: I just experienced that just now, something about UI and Menus not handled well. Some people say it's resampling or antialiasing, it's unconfirmed what the problem is. Just everyone seems to be reacting to every single problem with the game, it's all wildly inconsistant.

#57 Posted by Demoskinos (15179 posts) -

@humanity: MGR is a very offensively based game. Offense is your Defense for the majority of the game. That is why the parry button is the attack button. Also FYI the side hop has invincibility frames on it. And its been awhile but I'm pretty sure going into slow-mo after a parry depends on the frame on which you parry on. A.K.A a last second parry will be more beneficial to you than you do earlier. Forget DMC and Bayonetta the rules of those games don't apply to this game for the most part.

#58 Posted by Humanity (10137 posts) -

@humanity: MGR was my favorite game last year and your points are all valid, I had a miserable time with the demo at first. Missed parries, no get-out-of-jail-free-dodge, Raiden controlled kinda weird and ninja running up some walls was (and still is) janky but it all grew on me once I forgot about Bayo and DMC. Well, I still think the secondary weapons were all rushed and not really worth using. The basic fodder enemies are just that on lower difficulty settings, anything you can hack to pieces without weakening it first is there for you to style on. It gets ridiculous on Very Hard when enemies don't care if you're already fighting someone else, they're all on you at all times.

I've had some missing Zandatsu prompts on PC against regular Gekkos, no idea why and I don't remember them being a problem on console.

I don't mean to harp on it as I do want to get better at the game and be able to master the combat. I just want to be able to know what is going on more clearly and some things seem inconsistent regarding the combat, or rather I'm probably not exactly understanding what I should be doing leading to inconsistent outcomes. What I like most about GOOD Character Action games is the feeling of being in complete control of the situation. Knowing and understanding what I'm doing, and being able to plan out 3 steps ahead of what I'm going to do and how I'll chain those moves. This is something that I'm currently not getting out of MGR in the slightest and I honestly feel a little dumb cause I consider myself a "seasoned" character action player.

The Gekkos especially are troubling because I remember them not really being an issue when I played the demo, but I'm kind of having a hard time on the PC version. If this is a bug then that is both good and bad - good in that it IS a bug and I'm not going crazy, bad in that they are difficult to fight at the moment because of it. I parry all their kicks but never get a prompt for a counter attack or zandatsu. They simply keep getting knocked back.

Also getting out of a stun state is very difficult, I don't know if this is how it was on the console version because when fighting the wolf boss I would end up in these endless loops of getting dizzied, being unable to get out of that state in any sort of timely manner no matter how hard I wiggled that stick, and then getting attacked and dizzied again. It got to the point where I'd just restart the mission if I got dizzied at all.

The one thing I WILL harp on is the camera which has been simply AWFUL in my experience.

#59 Edited by EternalVigil (306 posts) -

@humanity Yeah the game is terrible at explaining its mechanics. The video on the last page is really helpful in telling you what the game doesn't. As for the thing where you said sometimes things happen you can't explain, it may be to do that some enemies are armored (Gekkos, The big guys with the massive swords etc) and they can't be cut up until you get rid of it. Parrying on those guys only gives you a chance to perform an execution (which allows you to chop them up) by stunning them. It's hard to do it to gekkos as they tend to jump away from parry counters, so it's usually better to deal with them by parrying their charging attack which is almost a guaranteed execution. If it's happening on regular dudes, I expect it's mainly due to the fact your still early on in, so you haven't got a lot of the strength upgrades which makes the default guys sliceable right away.

You'll probably understand the parrying a little better later on, as it becomes really important in the second half of the game, and several of the boss fights require you to use it.

The stun-state is a bit of an issue, as in the 360 version it sometimes doesn't register you moving the stick, which can make getting out of it difficult. The move Wolf does to stun you is parryable, which is the easiest way to stop it, or if you've bought the move "Defensive/Offensive" (WHICH YOU SHOULD AS IT'S THE GAMES DODGE MOVE AND HAS INVINCIBILITY FRAMES) it can make getting out of that situation easier.

The camera can be absolutely horrendous sometimes, but if you use the lock-on button (Right bumper on a 360 controller) the camera stays on what you want to be looking at which most of the time. There's only a few times since I did that I've had any issue with it.

@ervonymous I think the thing about the other weapons are a little unfair. All the weapons you get from the bosses are pretty useful in regular fights (The first one makes crowd control much easier, the second makes GRAD's trivial and the third is great against armored guys). The item-based subweapons aren't all that great, but there pretty helpful in the first playthrough of the game where some fights are better to just sneak past and when your trying to take out flyers before you have the moves you need to fight them effectively.

#60 Edited by JusticeJanitor (216 posts) -

Just finished the game. Played great, ran great, looked great. Solid 60 FPS, at max settings. No slow downs, no bugs, no nothing. Loved every minute of it. Tons of fun, it's a great port. I had a more enjoyable experience on PC than on PS3.

Luckily this will encourage Japanese developers to make their games for PC more often and I have my fingers crossed for a PC version of MGS5 (Like that will ever happen...)

#61 Posted by golguin (4060 posts) -

@humanity said:

@ervonymous said:

I don't mean to harp on it as I do want to get better at the game and be able to master the combat. I just want to be able to know what is going on more clearly and some things seem inconsistent regarding the combat, or rather I'm probably not exactly understanding what I should be doing leading to inconsistent outcomes. What I like most about GOOD Character Action games is the feeling of being in complete control of the situation. Knowing and understanding what I'm doing, and being able to plan out 3 steps ahead of what I'm going to do and how I'll chain those moves. This is something that I'm currently not getting out of MGR in the slightest and I honestly feel a little dumb cause I consider myself a "seasoned" character action player.

The Gekkos especially are troubling because I remember them not really being an issue when I played the demo, but I'm kind of having a hard time on the PC version. If this is a bug then that is both good and bad - good in that it IS a bug and I'm not going crazy, bad in that they are difficult to fight at the moment because of it. I parry all their kicks but never get a prompt for a counter attack or zandatsu. They simply keep getting knocked back.

Also getting out of a stun state is very difficult, I don't know if this is how it was on the console version because when fighting the wolf boss I would end up in these endless loops of getting dizzied, being unable to get out of that state in any sort of timely manner no matter how hard I wiggled that stick, and then getting attacked and dizzied again. It got to the point where I'd just restart the mission if I got dizzied at all.

The one thing I WILL harp on is the camera which has been simply AWFUL in my experience.

Watch the video. You'll eventually learn how to correctly time your parry as doing it too early will simply end in a block. Also keep in mind that some enemies need to be damaged a bit before the perfect parry allows you to execute the finisher (screen prompts you to press 2 buttons). In any case watch the video. It will explain the systems.

#62 Edited by Humanity (10137 posts) -

@golguin: I've watched it already, but thanks, it certainly does cover the combat a lot better than the game itself.

#63 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

@ervonymous I think the thing about the other weapons are a little unfair. All the weapons you get from the bosses are pretty useful in regular fights (The first one makes crowd control much easier, the second makes GRAD's trivial and the third is great against armored guys). The item-based subweapons aren't all that great, but there pretty helpful in the first playthrough of the game where some fights are better to just sneak past and when your trying to take out flyers before you have the moves you need to fight them effectively.

Sure, I'll admit that. I'm the kind of guy who refuses to use weapons besides the Mega Buster in Mega Man but besides that I thought the boss weapons were pretty underwhelming and not as robust as the arsenal you get in, say, DMC3 or Bayonetta. I found the regular sword to be more satisfying and just stuck with it, basically.

#64 Posted by BigJeffrey (5111 posts) -

yo dis game sick. da hypest

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.