I have a hunch we might be seeing a different breed of combo vids

#1 Edited by Brighty (249 posts) -

As some of you guys know with every Devil May Cry game there are these things called TrueStyle Tournaments which are essentially a tournament of combo videos to see who's the most stylish. You can find some pretty incredible gameplay feats in them that feature hidden techniques in the game that even a good 95% of the players who completed DMC3 never really knew existed in terms of chaining combos together and using rebounds. You should check out the link below for an example.

As I was playing the MGR demo, I was trying to picture how this might work in the context of this game. MGR is really unique - the inherent free flowing nature of the combat makes precision attacks impossible unlike in Devil May Cry, where you can guarantee a particular move by pressing the right button combination. Raiden's attacks, for lack of a better word, flow together in a way that is a unique spectacle of its own. There's an inherent rhythm to the gameplay that comes from linking attacks together and utilizing Blade Mode to have an incredible amount of precision over your strikes (and then there are the attacks that have a built in Blade Mode activation in them if you press the button). After messing around with it a little bit more (and admittedly having seen Samurai Champloo for the first time the other night), I ended up putting on headphones and messing around with a few instrumentals that have a hip hop flair to them. Where each percussion hit is an opportunity for you to compliment it with a Blade Mode swing and Zandatsu acts as a crescendo, playing the demo took on another life entirely. You're fighting in a rhythm with the music as your conductor and it's pretty damn rad, and when you sync up Raiden crushing a spine perfectly - its fucking stylish as hell.

I've popped on music plenty of times while playing actions games (like Devil May Cry) , but with MGR for me the experience is a distinctly different feel, as if the systems in this game compliment the momentum and potential for something like this much better than anything I've played before.

I wonder if there is a TrueStyle scene for this game, if it'll branch away from the traditional "Maintain SSS or equivilent rank for as long as possible and do hella combos" that is a staple of DMC and go for more a "music video" (bad choice of words) approach, where they do an exhibition set to a specific music track where their attacks and combos may not be doing the most optimal damage, but their combos are more artistic in execution and flow in sync with the music track playing. The possibilities involving Blade Mode's precision cutting on enemies and the environment and incorporating that into the combo video could become really creative (i.e. pausing mid combo to slice off just a soldier's hand instead of going to town cutting him to ribbons and continuing it, or slicing down support beams to bring a bridge crashing down on your enemies). It's still way too soon to make a crazy prediction like this, since there's lots of additional weapons and moves yet to be discovered, but I just thought it was a really interesting thing of note about this game. It could just be my own experience however, but feel free to give it a shot yourselves and see what you think.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.