Metal Gear Rising : Revengeance - by Platinum Games - For Better or Worse than Kojima Productions?

• 71 results
#1 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

#2 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

I love Platinum Games. They're one of the only Japanese developers I can think of, which feel like they make current generation AAA games, yet still feel very Japanese - in a good way. I bloody hate Kojima Productions, at least their Metal Gear Solid games (ZOE is the dicktits). Everything past MGS1 just felt increasingly outdated mechanically, and up its own ass lore-wise. Like many Japanese developers, they've misconstrued the early success of storage media driven innovation like fully voiced dialogs in games and taken them to a place where multimedia storytelling gets in the way of the game.

Platinum Games has a similar foible for crazy Japanese storytelling like Kojima Productions, but it retains a breakneck pace and is all about fluid gameplay and tight controls. All of which I missed from the Metal Gear Solid games, which never quite gotten rid of the jank and overburdend controlscheme and non-relevant unfun complexity. All of which is about to change now, with Metal Gear Rising : Revengeance! Could well be the first Metal Gear game I end up loving since MGS 1 on PSX, which I loved for all the wrong reasons.

I'm HYPED for Platinum Games taking over Metal Gear Rising : Revengeance. I hope the word Revengeance is the last remnant of Kojima Productions influence on the game. Platinum will make Kojima's action cutscenes come to life with fluid gameplay and tight controls. The visionary is done, here come 'the realisateurs'. Put your hands together for Platinum Games!

And here's the Trailer for it...

#3 Edited by Icemael (6356 posts) -

It's definitely for the better. Bayonetta and Vanquish are this generation's finest 3D action games: lightning-fast and extremely stylish, with tight controls and sophisticated combat systems. Kojima Productions haven't made a decent action game in almost a decade, and I had no interest in Rising before the announcement that they weren't making it.

#4 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

For the better. Platinum Games know how to pace their games well and they make pretty good action games. Kojima Productions looked like they wouldn't try to go away from the old formula of the MGS's... So they would disappoint Action Game fans and Metal Gear fans... Going action all the way with an experienced developer is the way to go.

#5 Posted by Bear (247 posts) -

Depends if Hideki Kamiya is involved, which I hope is the case.

#6 Posted by LiquidPrince (16119 posts) -

I dunno. I kinda hated Bayonetta, but mostly because the game felt cheap production wise. If it has Kojima polish and care in production and cutscenes, and Platinum smooth gameplay, then it could be awesome.

#7 Posted by Redbullet685 (6068 posts) -

Definitely for the better.

#8 Posted by N7 (3658 posts) -

Did anyone hear that they scrapped the prequel story? It's going to be a real sequel this time. It takes place after MGS4. And, craziest of all, it really sounds like Platinum Games is behind Rising more so than Kojima Productions.

#9 Edited by MiniPato (2747 posts) -

Well, I'll be honest, I was a lot more interested when I thought KJP was working on it. There was kind of a wtf factor over what kind of game Rising was going to be and I was under the impression it was going to be a game that mixed precise sword gameplay with stealth or something wildly out there. Now that I know Platinum is working on it, it seems like it's gonna be Bayonetta in an MGS universe and it's more of a known quantity. I'll say one thing, it looks nothing like the watermelon demo.

Also, is it no longer using the MGS4 engine? I liked the look of the MGS4 engine in Rising from the screens I saw of it. It has a very clean and crisp look. I guess MGS4's engine can't handle that much fast paced gameplay with a bunch of characters on screen.

In the end, I'd say it's a good thing that Platinum is handling it. They've proven they can make crazy and fun games, especially with Bayonetta.

#10 Posted by JasonR86 (9763 posts) -

Gameplay-wise it's for the better. But it'll miss the Kojima-crazy that makes MGS so interesting.

#11 Posted by Dustpan (1694 posts) -

@N7 said:

Did anyone hear that they scrapped the prequel story? It's going to be a real sequel this time. It takes place after MGS4. And, craziest of all, it really sounds like Platinum Games is behind Rising more so than Kojima Productions.

Source?

I thought Raiden got turned back into a regular human at the end of MGS4.

#12 Posted by N7 (3658 posts) -
@Dustpan said:

@N7 said:

Source?

My buddy found this on Neogaf.

"**** according the KP Report they had the original story (between 2 & 4) all planned out but when Platinum came on board they made the writer throw it all out because it restricted Platinum too much. So they set it after MGS4 to give them freedom."

#13 Edited by Icemael (6356 posts) -
@Dustpan said:

@N7 said:

Source?

The official site confirms it: http://www.konami.jp/mgr/en_us/index.html 

METAL GEAR SOLID: RISING was a spin-off intended to feature the actions and transformation of Raiden, one of METAL GEAR SOLID 2: SONS OF LIBERTY’s main characters, in the lead-up to METAL GEAR SOLID 4: GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS. 

However, after Platinum Games came on board, the story was changed to take place several years after METAL GEAR SOLID 4 to give them more of an opportunity to show off what they can bring to the series.

#14 Posted by Dustpan (1694 posts) -

@N7: Thanks, still odd though.

#15 Edited by Landon (4164 posts) -

@LiquidPrince said:

I dunno. I kinda hated Bayonetta, but mostly because the game felt cheap production wise. If it has Kojima polish and care in production and cutscenes, and Platinum smooth gameplay, then it could be awesome.

They ran out of money near the end of development, that's why there were scenes of still characters talking to one another. But that shouldn't be a reason to hate it, because they put the money where it should have gone, making the action over the top and incredibly fun.

@JasonR86 said:

Gameplay-wise it's for the better. But it'll miss the Kojima-crazy that makes MGS so interesting.

Did you play Vanquish or Bayonetta? Trust me, the crazy will still be there.

#16 Posted by huntad (1958 posts) -

@N7 said:

Fuck. That was the whole reason I wanted to play it. Ugh.

#17 Posted by BionicRadd (617 posts) -

All I could think of when I watch this was "Is this Ninja Gaiden 3?" I might give it a go, because like everyone else, I think Platinum Games is pretty awesome, even if I hated Bayonetta. The trailer just felt like a hundred other games to me. I can almost see the QTE prompts popping up.

#18 Posted by Icemael (6356 posts) -
@Landon said:

@JasonR86 said:

Did you play Vanquish or Bayonetta? Trust me, the crazy will still be there.

Also, the game's lead writer and cutscene director are from Kojima Productions, and Kojima will oversee the game's story and world as a producer.
#19 Posted by Daneian (1251 posts) -
#20 Posted by Marz (5668 posts) -

obviously for building an action oriented game, Kojima letting Platinum games develop it was probably for the best...

#21 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

@Daneian: it was originally announced an Microsoft E3 press conference with kincet support a few years ago

#22 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

@N7 said:

@Dustpan said:

@N7 said:

Source?

My buddy found this on Neogaf.

"**** according the KP Report they had the original story (between 2 & 4) all planned out but when Platinum came on board they made the writer throw it all out because it restricted Platinum too much. So they set it after MGS4 to give them freedom."

So let me get this straight:

1. They bring Platinum games on board, who have produced two relatively shit games.
  2. They scrap the REAL story (and last I checked story is a MAJOR part of MG games).
  3. They replace it with a story that doesn't even make sense in terms of the entire MGS series, unless they retcon the series. Or do something completely retarded to the story to justify Raiden giving up his body again.

For better or worse? WORSE. Platinum games should just stick to making their own games crap instead of ruining great stuff that other studios are putting out.

#23 Posted by JJOR64 (19051 posts) -

For Better. Bayonetta was amazing so I have high hopes for this game. This is the first Metal Gear game that I'm actually excited about now.

#24 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

Depends how much of the work was already done. Are we talking about a Gearbox/DNF situation here? Or are they starting over?

#25 Posted by Blannir (250 posts) -

I watched the first 2 minutes and thought man wtf did they do to MGS I don't care for this at all, then I saw developed by Platinum Games and I was back on board. I loved Bayonetta so I'm willing to turn off my brain and not think of this so much as an MGS game as an action game starring an MGS character.

#26 Posted by Daneian (1251 posts) -

@slightconfuse said:

@Daneian: it was originally announced an Microsoft E3 press conference with kincet support a few years ago

I know. Referring to the PC tag specifically

#27 Edited by Kyle (2325 posts) -

God I am so fucking sick of Japanese game developers making up English words. "Revengeance?" Fuck you.

I wasn't terribly interested in Rising before, so I'm still sort of not... but Platinum makes good games, so... yeah...

#28 Posted by Icemael (6356 posts) -
@Kyle said:

God I am so fucking sick of Japanese game developers making up English words. "Revengeance?" Fuck you.

Revengeance is a real word.
#29 Edited by SpaceRunaway (871 posts) -

I'm among the very few that's kind of disappointed. It's hard to describe, I don't really have anything against Platinum (besides the apparent inability to close out their games well), and I know the game will play much better than whatever existed before, but this was supposed to be about showcasing what Koji Pro could do without Kojima, and the answer appears to be "not much".

Also, as someone who loves the Metal Gear games about equally, and who bawled like a small child at the ending of 4, this game covered a specific story that I wanted to see told, and I'm much more disappointed to see that's not happening.

Also, Revengeance is so fucking stupid Jesus Christ.

Edit: Okay so I just watched the trailer. I really don't know what to think, but it's not "Boy am I excited for this". I'll try to keep an open mind though.

#30 Posted by Kyle (2325 posts) -

@Icemael said:

@Kyle said:

Revengeance is a real word.

Okay, Webster's says it's obsolete form of vengeance.

#31 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4868 posts) -

This is definitely for the worse. They might as well not even call it Metal Gear if there's no stealth-based gameplay. Stealth is synonymous with the franchise, and it's the backbone of gameplay. I don't understand why KojiPro would hand the reins to a bunch of booger-picking, Ritalin-addled retards. I guess Peace Walker really was the end of Metal Gear. I don't know what the hell Rising is supposed to be, but it's obviously not Metal Gear.

Bah. At least I got my HD Collection.

#32 Posted by RsistncE (4496 posts) -

@KingWilly said:

This is definitely for the worse. They might as well not even call it Metal Gear if there's no stealth-based gameplay. Stealth is synonymous with the franchise, and it's the backbone of gameplay. I don't understand why KojiPro would hand the reins to a bunch of booger-picking, Ritalin-addled retards. I guess Peace Walker really was the end of Metal Gear. I don't know what the hell Rising is supposed to be, but it's obviously not Metal Gear.

Bah. At least I got my HD Collection.

So much common sense here it hurts.

#33 Posted by MiniPato (2747 posts) -

@KingWilly:

Metal Gear Acid is a card game.

#34 Posted by august (3861 posts) -

The difference between this game and the main Metal Gear games is that this game will actually know how dumb it is.

#35 Posted by x0xGreywolfX0X (28 posts) -

since its not metal gear solid 5 im completely fine with it

#36 Posted by Soapy86 (2638 posts) -

I'm a huge Metal Gear fan, and I think this game looks fucking awesome. I was actually feeling kind of "meh" about it before, but that VGA trailer got my hype RISING.

#37 Posted by TwilitEnd656 (617 posts) -

The guys responsible for Vanquish, Madworld and Bayonetta are developing Metal Gear Rising while Kojima and his people check out the story...?

I think it's safe to say it's for the BEST.

#38 Posted by white_sox (211 posts) -

I couldn't get past the first 15 minutes of Bayonetta because the game was so, well, 'n yo face' with its style. I hope Rising isn't anything like that.

#39 Posted by Korolev (1723 posts) -

It'll probably play better than an Kojima productions game, but it will probably be shorter with less replay value.

By the way, is this what Kojima was talking about when he said that a project he was working on came to absolutely nothing and that he was supremely depressed about it? Was he talking about his control over Rising being taken away from him? Or was it another game entirely?

#40 Posted by Icemael (6356 posts) -
@Korolev said:

By the way, is this what Kojima was talking about when he said that a project he was working on came to absolutely nothing and that he was supremely depressed about it? Was he talking about his control over Rising being taken away from him? Or was it another game entirely?

Kojima was never in charge of Rising, so I think it's safe to assume he was talking about something else. 

@Bear said: 

Depends if Hideki Kamiya is involved, which I hope is the case.

He's not: https://twitter.com/#!/PG_kamiya/status/145762345757581313
#41 Posted by JTB123 (1050 posts) -

For better, an action game should be in the hands of a developer that knows how to make them extremely well, which Platinum does. I just watched the VGA trailer for it and was very impressed with how smooth everything looked.

#42 Posted by Sauson (561 posts) -

I didn't care for Bayonetta or Vanquish but people seem to like Platinum Games and they make games that are just as crazy as MGS so it's probably for the best.

#43 Posted by BasketSnake (1268 posts) -

I love the MGS series but the trailer didn't look like much for me. I'll wait for more clips before I judge it though.

#44 Edited by jakob187 (21732 posts) -

@LiquidPrince said:

I dunno. I kinda hated Bayonetta, but mostly because the game felt cheap production wise.

WTF YOU TALKIN BOUT WILLIS?! Bayonetta had great production value to it!

Also, I think it's for the better. I love me some PlatinumGames goodness.

#45 Posted by Vitor (2829 posts) -

For Gameplay? Better.

For Story? Crazy but in an entirely different way to the usual Kojima madness. I don't know whether that's a good thing or not...

#46 Posted by manbot47 (239 posts) -

For better: I don't understand people bitching about the lack of stealth. When this was first announced a couple years ago it was clear that this was not meant to be a tactical sneaking game so why would that change after the crazy guys at Platinum got involved? Here's to hoping Raiden summons giant cyber-ninja monsters to kill/eat bosses.That being said the trailer did get a bit cheesy with all the taglines and unnecessary cuts (pun intended).

#47 Edited by Stete (748 posts) -

Platinum Games equals day one purchase for me. They are pretty much the only Japanese developer left who insists on making original games that are fun to play instead of regurgitating their backlog over and over again.

#48 Posted by Aetheldod (3682 posts) -

Hell no .. this is for the worse , saw the trailer ... WTF????? So now they made Metal Gear into another Devil May Cry? No thanks , I had enough with 1 Dante

#49 Posted by Dogma (986 posts) -

@Aetheldod said:

Hell no .. this is for the worse , saw the trailer ... WTF????? So now they made Metal Gear into another Devil May Cry? No thanks , I had enough with 1 Dante

They have not turned the MGS series into a hack'n'slash. This is clearly a spin-off product. Compare it rather to Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus. Mabey not the best of products but itäs still just a spin-off.

#50 Posted by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

Either way.  I would rather a normal Metal Gear game but Platinum know what they are doing.  The only places Bayonetta or Vanquish kind of sucked were cutscenes and secondary characters.  With someone else overseeing that part it could be really cool.

For Rising it's probably good, but for the MGS overall I don't know.  I'm surprised they didn't just cancel the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.