Metal Gear Rising : Revengeance - by Platinum Games - For Better or Worse than Kojima Productions?

• 71 results
#51 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

For the type of game it is I say for the better.

#52 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (917 posts) -

Argh I don't like this, it's cool to make the games different but this doesn't feel like a Metal Gear game, think I'll give it a miss tbh.

#53 Posted by Maluvin (264 posts) -

If it's less stealthy I'm cautiously okay with that as long as it's internally consistent in tone and doesn't step all over the story they built up over the years. I mean we kind of knew it would be an action game once we transitioned from "soldier with a history of covert operations" to "cyborg ninja with super slicer". I mean every scene that involved cyborg ninjas in the series was either over top action or dialog about the abuse of soldiers, being a dehumanized killing machine, or reconnecting with feelings. Despite being called ninjas their stealth was always about getting into a better tactical position in combat rather than avoiding combat and in that sense I see nothing in the trailers (both the old and new ones) that bothers me. I will admit that seeing Raiden flip the huge metal gear makes me wary but we'll see.

Setting it after MGS4 is fine although I was looking forward to playing through the bridge story set between MGS2 and 4. Maybe they'll include it with cutscenes but I'd much rather actually play through it. Of course maybe they'll hold onto that gem for later use.

Also, as a plot/character issue, since some people seem to have not picked up on what happened to Raiden at the end of MGS4:

Raiden didn't get restored to a human body so much as he was restored to more human looking body.
#54 Posted by LiquidPrince (15850 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

@LiquidPrince said:

I dunno. I kinda hated Bayonetta, but mostly because the game felt cheap production wise.

WTF YOU TALKIN BOUT WILLIS?! Bayonetta had great production value to it!

Also, I think it's for the better. I love me some PlatinumGames goodness.

I imagine you saying that standing still with no animation as a video reel filter scrolls over you.

#55 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6187 posts) -

YO CUTTING AND SHIIIIIIIIIIIIT!

#56 Posted by Cozmicaztaway (216 posts) -

I haven't quite decided. On the one hand, I really, really like cheesy stuff, but on the other I'm not entirely sure Metal Gear was ever meant to be that cheesy. Revengeance might be a real word, but I doubt it means "Revenge witha vengeance" since that's basically saying "revenge with revenge" which... well, what ELSE would you do?

Of course, they might be referring to the Urban Dictionary definition:

"

-the act of gaining revenge at a rate of at least 2.54 times greater to that of standard revenge and 1.61 that of standard vengeance.

-considered to be an act of the most violent retaliation.

-while revenge is served cold and vengeance is served hot revengeance is often seen served with Cajun with a side of onion rings and often dumplings in the Orient"

So basically, what I'm saying is, why are we not dissecting the title of this game more?

#57 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3022 posts) -

Reveangance seemed like the dumbest name in the world, but then I heard it was being developed by Platinum. Now I'm just going to lay back and bask in the insanity they produce, while also enjoying what will most likely be another fantastic game by them.

Honestly, tell me anything is being worked on by Platinum these days and I'll be all over it.

#58 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

Yes yes bayonetta and vanquish ware two of the best games no one has played

#59 Posted by bybeach (4730 posts) -

I bought Vanquish, and I will play it someday. There i said it, but I wouldn't say that about DN thats still in that wrapper.

I can't cope with Raiden, if it's the same guy who was leaking white stuff all over the place in MGS 4 after having that tryst with Vamp. I know it is this other developer but..I just can't get into it. Raiden weirds me out, though actually I did like him in Substance, and have the HD remake in my possession. That's another game I actually look forward to

But Raiden went in a strange strange direction, though it's okay because Kojima deigned it that way. That made it tolerable, but not as a main focus for me.

#60 Posted by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

It'll be nice to actually see the damn thing get finished, so yeah for the better.

#61 Posted by AlexW00d (6189 posts) -

For worse for me. I loved Bayonetta, but I love MGS much, much more, and from the looks of the trailer, the game is Platinum's kind of dumb crazy Japanese, and not Kojima's crazy, convoluted Japanese. Plus the trailer made the actual action look awful.

#62 Posted by TooWalrus (13139 posts) -

Absolutely for better- if you're going to make a 3rd person action game staring a cyborg ninja- Platinum are the guys to do it.

#63 Posted by OtakuGamer (1224 posts) -

I don't care much for it, I prefer the "Tactical Espionage Action" MGS game. It be interesting to see on how this develops though with Platinum games on the forefront.

#64 Edited by Bobby_The_Great (1002 posts) -

The guys who made Vanquished, Bayonetta and Okami--yes, I'm very happy about this.

EDIT: Why are people bitching about this not being a stealth game? When it was first announced in 2009, it was announced as having no stealth in it. What the hell people, manage your expectations. If I say "I'm serving hot dogs at my barbecue" and you show up expecting hamburgers, who's fault is that?

#65 Posted by Tesla (1909 posts) -

That shit looks dope son.

#66 Posted by Commisar123 (1790 posts) -

Its what I want out of a Metal Gear game, not that there is anything wrong with the way Kojima makes his games, I just think I would like more action in those crazy ass games

#67 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -

About the same. That said, I don't think I can justify spending $60 on what is essentially a hack and slash game.

#68 Posted by Jost1 (2077 posts) -

@Skald said:

About the same. That said, I don't think I can justify spending $60 on what is essentially a hack and slash game.

Apparently you know more than anyone else about the content, and value of Metal Gear Rising!

#69 Posted by makari (594 posts) -

Oh Kojima, you sly old troll you.

#70 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -

@Jost1 said:

@Skald said:

Apparently you know more than anyone else about the content, and value of Metal Gear Rising!

That's just my knee-jerk reaction to the trailer. If the game ends up being deeper and more varied than the trailer lets on, all the better for me. I'd buy it day one.

#71 Posted by ikwal (225 posts) -

Well at least now it'll probably be released at some points. But if it's just going to be another action game I'm not intersted.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.