Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance demo out on XBL / PSN today

• 113 results
#51 Posted by Sanious (793 posts) -

My only problem is transitioning from playing a lot of DmC and that I didn't really know how to dodge or even if there was a dodge. All in all I think the game will be a lot of fun and going to play the demo a few more times to attune myself to the controls.

#52 Posted by Giantstalker (1727 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

I think the controls are generally just fucking awful

Good to know it's still a Metal Gear game, sounds like Platinum really nailed the Kojima experience with this one.

Downloading now

#53 Posted by SonnyCheebah (36 posts) -

@Turbyne said:

I played the demo and didn't care for it in the least. I'd been anticipating this for months too.

Not my kind of game I guess, and I ended up liking that new DmC game quite a lot despite joining the hate bandwagon pre-launch.

Surprised this did nothing for me. Whatever, lots of other games coming out.

Admittedly, that dude making loads of DmC hate threads making a mess in his pants over this game is kind of tragic. But I guess this is where he'll live on the forums for a while. I should get out of here.

Good to know that I'm going to love this game. I want something deeper than DmC, and this seems to be the ticket.

#54 Edited by Itwastuesday (982 posts) -

I love the parry system. Poorly timed parries are easy and let you avoid damage, well-timed parries allow for counter-attacks. Lots of fun. I have a feeling that this demo level occurs very early in the game, as it's quite easy. Looking forward to more (and hard mode).

#55 Posted by MikeRD (33 posts) -
@Giantstalker said:

@Demoskinos said:

I think the controls are generally just fucking awful

Good to know it's still a Metal Gear game, sounds like Platinum really nailed the Kojima experience with this one.

Downloading now

I don't remember there being anything weird with the controls in MGS4 and I'd presume Peacewalker was the same way.  Reading this comment after having just played the demo makes it more puzzling. Of course it would be more helpful if there was some explanation as to what the problem was with them instead of a derisive blanket statement.
#56 Posted by mrfluke (5341 posts) -

played the demo it was 1.8 Gb on the 360. love the style of this game, game also looks great, running at 60fps.

and the story seems legitimately interesting and the writing actually seems real self aware.

not too feeling the stealth aspect though, not when the zan datsu ability of cutting everything is so satisfying.

Definitely picking this one up, i have no intentions of getting a WiiU, so this will be my bayonetta style crazy fix

#57 Posted by LotusPrince (20 posts) -

I'm prepared perpetual electric climaxing.

#58 Posted by AjayRaz (12476 posts) -

just finished it. i didn't like it as much as i thought i would. the blade mode thing is a lot less fun than i thought it would be but it's still cool. although cutting up the walkway at the beginning of the demo with no alternate route to reach the objective was real lame since i was forced to restart. i'm not really feeling how the game plays all that much. something about the controls and the feel of the combat puts me off, and the direction that the story's going in doesn't sound totally interesting-- or at least compared to the MGS games.

i'll give it another shot again soon enough

#59 Posted by Fokma (30 posts) -

Wow... did not like that game at all. Kind of sad about that because I was pumped to play it (especially because I have the Limited Edition pre ordered for 47.99). Am I missing something, is there no block button? I hated running around trying not to get hit while a boss was constantly in attack animations. I'm probably not a good person to give my opinion on action games, I've always been down on DMC games and the only true "Action" games I've loved is Ninja Gaiden 1, and GoW (yes I know it is generally viewed as a casual action game).

#60 Posted by mrfluke (5341 posts) -

wow consensus so far seems disappointed in the game, totally see where you guys are coming from, as much as i like the demo, i wouldnt be too surprised if this game gets like a 3 out of 5.

but i wouldn't be too surprised also if this gets a 4 out of 5 though.

#61 Posted by Brighty (249 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

wow consensus so far seems disappointed in the game, totally see where you guys are coming from, as much as i like the demo, i wouldnt be too surprised if this game gets like a 3 out of 5.

I've noticed a staggering amount of people who are down on this game because they have difficulty reading or paying attention to the screen with complaints like "omg there's no block button?" or "blade mode is too hard to swing back and forth with wtf".

I don't know what to really say to them.

#62 Edited by Fokma (30 posts) -

@Brighty said:

@mrfluke said:

I've noticed a staggering amount of people who are down on this game because they have difficulty reading or paying attention to the screen with complaints like "omg there's no block button?" or "blade mode is too hard to swing back and forth with wtf".

Hence my question... did I miss something. I looked under controls in the options menu and did not see a block button. So please enlighten us stupid folk what did I miss :)

Edit:

So I did some looking into this, it's a parry system. Probably could have given some better explanation in the game than Left Stick + Square. I will give the game another run through to see if I enjoy it more knowing how to Parry now.

#63 Posted by Brighty (249 posts) -

@Fokma said:

@Brighty said:

@mrfluke said:

Hence my question... did I miss something. I looked under controls in the options menu and did not see a block button. So please enlighten us stupid folk what did I miss :)

There is a constant pop up from the very first fight that if you press Left Stick towards an enemy + Wide Attack (Square or X) you will parry their attack. It stays on your screen for a considerable amount of time until you actually execute it in combat (and even after, I had it on the LQ-84i boss fight).

#64 Posted by Fokma (30 posts) -

@Brighty: I saw that. How do you know when it registers as a parry? I saw it slow down a couple times when contact was made? Does that mean a parry was done? I'm asking cause I really couldn't tell the difference in how Raiden reacted, the enemy would follow up with a second attack so quick (LQ-84i) that I had no time to check to see if I had actually not taken damage.

#65 Posted by Brighty (249 posts) -

@Fokma said:

@Brighty: I saw that. How do you know when it registers as a parry? I saw it slow down a couple times when contact was made? Does that mean a parry was done? I'm asking cause I really couldn't tell the difference in how Raiden reacted, the enemy would follow up with a second attack so quick (LQ-84i) that I had no time to check to see if I had actually not taken damage.

There will be a dramatic particle effect and you'll see Raiden bring his sword up to block when it happens. Depending on your timing you will either block the attack, meaning no damage is done to you, or you will parry the attack, meaning no damage is done to you and you will throw your opponent off-balance.

If you're having trouble, you can push the left stick towards your opponent and hold it there and then press Square/X when they attack, you don't have to flick the stick and press X at the same time. Try doing the slow walk towards a soldier and then pressing Square/X the moment before he attacks you.

#66 Posted by Fokma (30 posts) -

@Brighty: Thanks Brighty I will retry the demo tomorrow with that in mind.

#67 Posted by Zella (822 posts) -

I was pretty disappointed with this game when I played the demo, then I played it again and am really warming up to it. It took some getting used to the lack of a dodge button but the parry mechanic is neat and fun to pull off well. It is certainly different from the majority of action games out there so I think the criticism is mostly people who didn't take time to understand some of the combat mechanics. It is strange going from combo heavy DmC to timing heavy Rising but I am happy I have it pre-ordered now.

#68 Posted by handlas (2749 posts) -

@Brighty said:

My body is so fucking ready.

meh... gots nothing on DMC that's for sure. Ya know bud?

#69 Posted by Solh0und (1849 posts) -

Man, I thought I was going to pass the demo off as decent but I totally loved it.

If only the right analog stick blade mode was easier...

#70 Posted by mrfluke (5341 posts) -

@Brighty said:

@mrfluke said:

well the no normal blocking thing was weird for a bit, but then when you were fighting the metal gears and then the game teached you how to parry then i was cool.

the free flowing blade mode, IF they make it to where you gotta use that level of precision for like a boss or something i can see that being frustrating.

and also the tutorial for that demo was also bad, as i didnt know you can dodge/sidestep in the game , and you can do some sort of like forward dash to your enemy as well (not talking about holding down the right trigger :P) all that tutorial really thought you to do was to cut things.

but i cant deny i had fun though, and that the story could pay off well

#71 Posted by MikeRD (33 posts) -
@AjayRaz said:

although cutting up the walkway at the beginning of the demo with no alternate route to reach the objective was real lame since i was forced to restart.

If you use Ninja Run (holding RT on 360 - maybe R1 on PS3? Not sure.), Raiden climbs the wall where the walkway led to, so there's no need to restart. Also the checkpoints seemed pretty well placed and require only a fairly short reload which I thought was nice.
#72 Edited by Shookems (474 posts) -

I've done this stupid god damned boss battle like 20 times, what the fuck am I missing

edit: finally beat it. That sucked.

#73 Posted by AjayRaz (12476 posts) -

@MikeRD said:

@AjayRaz said:

although cutting up the walkway at the beginning of the demo with no alternate route to reach the objective was real lame since i was forced to restart.

If you use Ninja Run (holding RT on 360 - maybe R1 on PS3? Not sure.), Raiden climbs the wall where the walkway led to, so there's no need to restart. Also the checkpoints seemed pretty well placed and require only a fairly short reload which I thought was nice.

ah wow. thanks! i tried jumping up the wall but that didn't work out so well. i'll keep it in mind when i go through it again.

#74 Posted by Grissefar (2830 posts) -

@Shookems said:

I've done this stupid god damned boss battle like 20 times, what the fuck am I missing

edit: finally beat it. That sucked.

Have you tried parrying?

I just finished the PSN demo and it was pretty good man, even if it takes some getting used to. Or perhaps it was just because I had just played the Dead Space 3 demo, which sucked a gigantic dick. Ha ! Ha ! The only thing that sucked in the MGR demo was the slow mo cutting thing.

#75 Posted by Humanity (10069 posts) -

That end boss dog thing was such a poorly designed boss fight I just didn't bother trying to beat it. Maybe if you play the full game you'll be more at ease with the controls by that point.

#76 Posted by VanderSEXXX (552 posts) -

@MildMolasses said:

@Demoskinos: In reality, I'm interested in the game because of Platinum's involvement, but MGS4 turned me off of the series so badly. I can't deal with Kojima's story-telling. And based on Bayonetta, I would probably go with the 360 version, unless Platinum did the PS3 version themselves and ensured it's up to the standard they want

I share this same sentiment. After MGS1 in the 1st PS I cannot understand why people constantly rave about MGS4 being so great when it's story felt like it was written by a 13 year old, not to mention they tried too hard to explain the science part which amounts to pure BS when they overuse the word "nanomachines".

#77 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

I have zero interest in playing this, yet am wondering how the end product will be.

#78 Posted by Berserker976 (389 posts) -

That demo was awesome, especially the boss fight.

It's fine if you don't like paying attention to what games are trying to tell you, but don't claim the game or boss fight is bad simply because you're too lazy to read a few tooltips.

#79 Edited by xyzygy (10078 posts) -

The demo was so good. I loved every minute of it. At first I was a little taken back by the parry system, but by the time I got to the LF Prototype I was parrying pretty much everything. I remember watching someone on GB play the game, I think it was Brad, and man they must have sucked! It was such an easy boss battle!

The only complaint I have is that sometimes when entering blade mode the enemy's body glitches and moves. Only happened twice, but it was still annoying. Also, when chopping a whole bunch of things into really tiny pieces like 40 times the game kinda chugs, but I guess it's kind of stupid on my part to sit there and chop watermelons into 300 tiny pieces.

Blade mode is satisfying though, especially when you get a Zan-Datsu.

#80 Posted by Humanity (10069 posts) -

@Berserker976 said:

That demo was awesome, especially the boss fight.

It's fine if you don't like paying attention to what games are trying to tell you, but don't claim the game or boss fight is bad simply because you're too lazy to read a few tooltips.

I don't know man, it was forward and attack to parry ok and half the time it didn't seem to work, then I'd get knocked down and as I'm getting up the enemy gets into the charge animation and knocks me down again. I was kinda playing it while doing something else so not too invested in it but everything so far was so simple and parrying all the regular enemies seemed pretty simple. That boss just didn't gel with me so well. I'll give it another shot but I don't know how much "fun" I was having. Barren streets with some guys sprinkled about for me to cut up. I can only imagine they will have to really ramp it up in the latter part of the game as the demo was extremely easy.

#81 Posted by Blimble (300 posts) -

I figure you guys will appreciate this

Are there any good videos of someone really playing around with free blade mode and what you can cut up?

#82 Edited by xyzygy (10078 posts) -

@Blimble: How is it possible to wave the sword around like that? At the end

#83 Posted by Blimble (300 posts) -

@xyzygy: The sword wiggle is a master cyborg ninja move very few can do. I'm guessing it is just done by using free mode or maybe it is some context sensitive thing, they put some other little jokes in the demo

#84 Edited by Yummylee (22538 posts) -

Yup, this game's pretty awesome. The parry system works surprisingly well and it's ever so satisfying to successfully block an array of attacks and then completely destroy the opposition in turn. The boss battle was also pretty easy, but it only surprised me because Brad had a lot of trouble with it during the QL. Combat overall seems super fun and the cutting mechanic can be hilarious to let loose on the environments. However, the stealth feels kinda half-assed, like it was only put in here as a gesture for Metal Gear fans. Really happy to see codec conversations are in here, though.

The writing is pretty damn stupid, and Quinton Flynn does an absolutely terrible job as Raiden in this. Not only does his voice simply not suit the character anymore (which I've believed since MGS4 frankly), but the actual delivery of some of his lines is just bad. The environments are rather lifeless and dry, too. But where it counts the most, being the combat, it's looking pretty good.

#85 Edited by Humanity (10069 posts) -

@Yummylee: Explain the boss battle to me then because thats the major aspect of the demo that turned me off. I just beat DmC and I've beaten Bayonetta and other beat 'em up in the past without struggling too much. So I consider my reflexes to be pretty alright. Granted when I was playing the demo I didn't even put my headphones on and was literally having a conversation through Skype with someone during some of the cutscenes. Everything up until the cat robot was super easy. In fact during the entire second portion of the game I stealth killed all the soldiers and the Gecko Metal Gear all mere feet from one another without them even flinching - as you said the stealth could use some work. So when I got to the cat, I was surprised by how aggressive he was considering how docile and quite frankly dumb the rest of the AI had been thus far. So OK I died once, I get it you have to parry whenever he attacks. So I parry him once and he jumps back and then I parry him again and he jumps back and the third time my parry just misses. Were those parry's then? Is he supposed to get staggered? I was thinking of replaying the demo since I'm honestly not that bad at those sort of games but in all honesty I don't think I care enough to actually go through the mission again - so I'm curious if there was something I wasn't getting or what was the deal with the boss?

#86 Posted by Yummylee (22538 posts) -

@Humanity: To tell you the truth I probably haven't actually been parrying properly. All I did was press square plus the direction just as he's about to attack each time, which would lead me into blocking his attacks, and then I'd start mashing the square/triangle attacks on him -- rinse, repeat. But it worked in any case and rewarded me with an A rank, so perhaps you could try simply blocking instead and attacking on your own? Again, though, I don't even know what actually constitutes as a parry in this game. It's not like its 1 minute tutorial was willing to fill me in.

I'm going to give it another ago myself, too -- just so I can try and better understand the mechanics and articulate what the Hell is happening.

#87 Posted by Sanious (793 posts) -

Once I was good with parrying I really didn't have a problem with the boss at all honestly. I think you have to be both offensive and defensive at the right times with the boss, and it is a matter of recognizing his patterns. I got hit a bit but whenever I could get some hits in after parrying I went for it.

#88 Posted by Ducksworth (662 posts) -

I...don't understand how to play this game.

#89 Posted by GunstarRed (5459 posts) -

@Ducksworth: Press the buttons until everything is tiny chunks.

#90 Edited by GetEveryone (4458 posts) -

Anyone want to confirm what the levels themselves are like? I'm sure the combat system is great, my (major) hang-up, is that I don't want to spend hours fighting through bland, empty streets (which is much of what we've been shown so far).

The video someone posted earlier of Raiden taking out the same dude in a corridor multiple ways looked awesome. If the screens so far have misrepresented the levels we'll actually be playing through, I could get on-board with this.

#91 Posted by shamanultra (57 posts) -

I am confident in this games quality if peoples complaints are only "I don't get it". I guess the casualness of Giantbomb is really showing today.

#92 Posted by Brighty (249 posts) -
To help everyone out who's still going throught the demo, here's some PS3 info on attacks that can help out. Most of the Special move info is from the video FlashBlade has been mentioning (thanks for keeping that up). It's worth watching it just to see how these are supposed to practically work too.
(Posting a lot of this from memory and a little research, call out something if you think it's wrong)

Special Moves
(unofficial names made on the fly; at least they look cool)

Fwd + Square = Parry (also in the air)

Fwd Fwd + Square = Launch

Fwd Fwd + Triangle = Dashing strike

360 Rotation + Triangle = Spinning Slash

X + Square = Evasion (optional direction)

Bk + Fwd + Square = Palm Strike

Bk + Fwd + Triangle = Blade Sweep

Ninja Run + Square = Quick Slash

Ninja Run + Triangle = Slide

Ninja Run + Triangle + Square/Triangle (Slide + Ground slam)

Jump + Triangle = Dive Kick

Some Combos (from GameFAQs)
unconfirmed for right now, will give all a try and update soon.

Square (repeatedly) = unlimited light attacks

Triangle (repeatedly) = unlimited heavy attacks

Triangle (delay) + Square + Triange = Sweep 'n' Strike

Triangle + Triangle + Square + Triangle

Triangle + Triangle + Triangle + Square + Triangle

Square + Triangle (delay) + Square + Triangle

Triangle + Square + Triangle

(there's one or two, or more jump combos off of launcher, I'll post those later when I can confirm them again)

Tips

-Don't forget that with blade mode, you have the option of using square(horizontal)/triangle(vertical) strikes instead of the analog stick. Although, I get the feeling that correct aiming with the analog will really come in handy later in the game.

-Unless you're looking to get S ranking in everything, you might try experimenting with Blade Mode. Sadistic as it is, cutting off limbs and leaving the torso to walk or crawl in agony is pretty cool.

-The most opportune time to use Blade mode is when you've got a stunned opponent. Once the attack slows down and the guy glows orange, start cutting.

-Triangle + Circle gives you a stylish finishing attempt on an enemy once he/it's stunned.

-Stealth-killing is mostly getting above or behind a cyborg or gekko and hitting the button prompt.
#93 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

OH MY GOD. THIS GAME IS SO GOOD.

Wow, that was so incredibly fun.

#94 Posted by HeyImPhoenix (169 posts) -

Downloading as we speak! hell yeah! :)

#95 Posted by altairre (1280 posts) -

This was really fun. It took a few minutes (and two deaths at the gecko dudes) to figure out the parry system but after that it was awesome and the boss pretty easy to beat. Finishing moves are well done (the blade system is a great alternative to QTEs) and it's just satisfiying to parry a bunch of attacks and then slice the shit out of the opponent. Definetly going to buy the game now.

#96 Posted by BoOzak (997 posts) -

I think the thing that threw me off about parrying was that you're only able to do it when your opponent attacks but it's only effective at the end of his attack. I wasnt having difficulty doing it I was curious as to why it sometimes didnt work.

Now i've got that down my only issue is the damn camera, but that's something that's been plaguing the genre since Ninja Gaiden.

#97 Posted by project343 (2838 posts) -

I feel like I would enjoy the game a lot more if it didn't have Metal Gear UI. :\

#98 Posted by Demoskinos (15147 posts) -

Played the Demo again I think I understand it better but that still doesn't make the story stuff any more interesting nor does it make the blade mode any less gimmicky.

#99 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

Seemed pretty cool and I enjoyed it but damn does the game not do a damned thing to explain what I needed to do. I was so confused when the "parry" system was blocking. Reading this thread, I now know why. I also didn't know if I was supposed to be using the square or triangle buttons because the "tutorial" made it seem that the L1 cut was to be used. I took out the first group of enemies with L1 and parry/block before I eventually picked up on the importance of normal attacks because the enemies kept jumping out of the way of the L1 slash, but... yeah. I was unsure throughout the demo.

#100 Posted by Pezen (1668 posts) -

Man, if it wasn't for that ninja run making you run up walls a bit, I almost thought I was stranded on the beach after having cut the stairs and the other bridge like things to pieces. Man, that blade stuff might be gimmicky but get it in a flow and it's pretty badass. Combat was pretty fluid and fun too but those mechs do require a bit more finesse than the grunts did. Might actually have to pick this one up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.