Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance demo out on XBL / PSN today

• 113 results
#101 Posted by HeyImPhoenix (169 posts) -

Just got off it! I am so glad I preordered!! I can't really figure out how to block and why did my health go from 0 to 100?

#102 Posted by Humanity (9062 posts) -

@Yummylee said:

@Humanity: To tell you the truth I probably haven't actually been parrying properly. All I did was press square plus the direction just as he's about to attack each time, which would lead me into blocking his attacks, and then I'd start mashing the square/triangle attacks on him -- rinse, repeat. But it worked in any case and rewarded me with an A rank, so perhaps you could try simply blocking instead and attacking on your own? Again, though, I don't even know what actually constitutes as a parry in this game. It's not like its 1 minute tutorial was willing to fill me in.

I'm going to give it another ago myself, too -- just so I can try and better understand the mechanics and articulate what the Hell is happening.

I played it again from beginning to end, beating the boss this time. I still think it's a poorly constructed boss but once I realized all you have to do is constantly rush him down it became a breeze. Also I think it's strange that there is no dodge button, unless of course I'm missing something as I tried multiple button combinations. Through experimentation I did find an even more effective way to dispose of regular cyborgs and thats ninja run and Y which puts you into a slide that automatically stuns even entire groups of enemies. I was able to slide into 3 cyborgs grouped together, hit blade mode and while still sliding cut them all up to pieces.

I think the whole cutting enemies to pieces aspect is pretty neat but it really shows that this is a game almost stubbornly built around a cool tech demo. Everything apart from the cutting feels so strangely off. The environments, the movement, the fighting. This entire move list had been posted earlier in the thread and I tried a few of those moves out - but honestly didn't feel the need to use them since regular slice and dice worked just fine. I even opted out of using the right stick as I found it slow and clumsy, instead relying mostly on the X button. It's just a demo so I want to hold off complete judgement but I couldn't shake this feeling that the game is so empty. When I sliced up enemies in a stylish way in slow motion it did put a grin on my face but I can only imagine that later down the road baddies won't be as easy to dismember and it will turn into this game of attrition to stun your foes into a cuttable state. Just curious how long the legs on this game can possibly be? But who are we kidding, I'll probably buy it anyway, I mean what else is coming out.

#103 Posted by Yummylee (21546 posts) -

@Humanity said:

@Yummylee said:

@Humanity: To tell you the truth I probably haven't actually been parrying properly. All I did was press square plus the direction just as he's about to attack each time, which would lead me into blocking his attacks, and then I'd start mashing the square/triangle attacks on him -- rinse, repeat. But it worked in any case and rewarded me with an A rank, so perhaps you could try simply blocking instead and attacking on your own? Again, though, I don't even know what actually constitutes as a parry in this game. It's not like its 1 minute tutorial was willing to fill me in.

I'm going to give it another ago myself, too -- just so I can try and better understand the mechanics and articulate what the Hell is happening.

I played it again from beginning to end, beating the boss this time. I still think it's a poorly constructed boss but once I realized all you have to do is constantly rush him down it became a breeze. Also I think it's strange that there is no dodge button, unless of course I'm missing something as I tried multiple button combinations. Through experimentation I did find an even more effective way to dispose of regular cyborgs and thats ninja run and Y which puts you into a slide that automatically stuns even entire groups of enemies. I was able to slide into 3 cyborgs grouped together, hit blade mode and while still sliding cut them all up to pieces.

I think the whole cutting enemies to pieces aspect is pretty neat but it really shows that this is a game almost stubbornly built around a cool tech demo. Everything apart from the cutting feels so strangely off. The environments, the movement, the fighting. This entire move list had been posted earlier in the thread and I tried a few of those moves out - but honestly didn't feel the need to use them since regular slice and dice worked just fine. I even opted out of using the right stick as I found it slow and clumsy, instead relying mostly on the X button. It's just a demo so I want to hold off complete judgement but I couldn't shake this feeling that the game is so empty. When I sliced up enemies in a stylish way in slow motion it did put a grin on my face but I can only imagine that later down the road baddies won't be as easy to dismember and it will turn into this game of attrition to stun your foes into a cuttable state. Just curious how long the legs on this game can possibly be? But who are we kidding, I'll probably buy it anyway, I mean what else is coming out.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying there. Of course while this is just a demo, I too never needed to use any of the more complicated attacks and got by just fine by spamming square/triangle, and when I did attempt to weave some of the other attacks into my combos, I done noticeably worse! The lack of a reliable dodge ability is certainly odd as well, but I guess the game really wants you to properly master the blocking/parrying techniques and to stick to them as your primary source of defense. There's that square+triangle attack/dodge hybrid, which can shimmy Raiden in whatever direction, but it wasn't exceptionally reliable and blocking was much more efficient from my experience. You've got plenty of games in the genre that remove the ability for you to block, so it's actually interesting to see one go in the complete opposite direction.

The cutting enemies thing is awesome, though, and it's always satisfying when you end a long stream of attacks with the Cutting mode, like the QTE that leads to you diving in-between a Gecko's legs and you lay waste from the bottom up. It's also pretty much the only way you can keep truckin' as you strategically cut up dudes and adsorb their ''fluids'' for health and such, so it has its place besides to make yourself look badass. I am curious about whether it can keep its momentum as it goes on, though. Hopefully it won't be a Force Unleashed sort of deal where you're ultra-powerful at the beginning, but then as the game goes on the game keeps limiting to how you can actually fight. Though I'm sure it won't be as drastic a nosedive TFU takes in any case. I'm getting it, too anywhoo, because the combat is just ever so fun to play around with, and while there's valid reasons for scepticism, I'm sure I'm probably going to enjoy my time across the majority of the game, if not completely.

Also don't forget there's still Dead Space 3 coming out in early February as well, which I understand you're excited about.

#104 Posted by Humanity (9062 posts) -

@Yummylee: The demo could really use an extended moves tutorial as they don't even list what the facebuttons do in the control settings and when the prompt for "combat codex" popped up all I could do was engage in Codec conversations which I ended up skipping. I'm surprised how much disregard I actually have for any story in this game. I've skipped every single cutscene, every time when playing it. Even the parts where you're forced to walk around talking on the codec, something I really dislike, I'd literally turn to my computer or check my phone - I just couldn't have been less interested in whatever was going on.

Dead Space 3 yah I know - I've actually been considerably cooling on the game as time went on. I played Dead Space 1 by pure accident - I had a friend that worked in Gamestop and had purchased the somewhat underwhelming game Fracture at the time, and he let me know that if I want he can swap the game for something else. I said sure because Fracture really wasn't doing it for me and had no idea what he would give me. When he brought me Dead Space I wasn't really too excited as I don't like "scary" games and absolutely detest survival horror. When I started playing it though it was amazing. I love Sci Fi, especially the older variety where ships where colossal, shapless refineries floating in space - and Dead Space gave off that perfect sci fi vibe. The whole thing felt like Event Horizon turned video game and it was surprisingly good! Sure you played the role of the mechanic, single handedly fixing a behemoth of a ship but I loved all the puzzles, the character design, the suit! When Dead Space 2 was coming out the new suit and more fluid controls really had me psyched and for the most part I wasn't disappointed. Dead Space 3 though.. I don't know. I purposefully didn't play the demo but I've only heard a lot of negativity surrounding it, from you as well. It is a game that I will buy regardless but I can't say I'm as excited as I was for the sequel.

#105 Posted by D0tti (786 posts) -

I just finished playing the demo, didn't finish the boss, tried 2 times and just gave wasn't really in the mood. But otherwise I really enjoyed the game, loved slicing and dicing shit, not too fond off the dodge/block controls though..

#106 Posted by Sackmanjones (4688 posts) -

Played it once. Seems cool but nothing amazing. I'm gonna try it again and see if I can wrap my hands around it a bit better.

#107 Posted by UlquioKani (1046 posts) -

Frustrating as fuck until you get parrying down. Then it's the bomb. Don't approach it hoping to play it like Bayonetta.

#108 Posted by DocHaus (1325 posts) -

As corny as the story is I liked the little snippets they fed, probably because I've played all the others (except Portable Ops) so I'm in too deep now. Also, how often does Abkhazia get used as a setpiece?

Gameplay was interesting, probably because they tried to make it a little less twitchy and more thinky (if that makes any sense) in trying to figure out where to cut with only a couple seconds to decide and grab the zandatsu. I'm curious how the arm data/credits will come into play in the actual game though. Also if they'll slip a Snake cameo in somewhere, or if we'll have to wait for Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance :: Reloaded ::: The Grandson of the Clone of the Twin of Big Boss.

#109 Posted by Zella (731 posts) -

I knew it was a true metal gear game when I heard the words "military junta", that and coup d'etat. When I think of those words they are in David Hayter's voice.

#111 Posted by N7 (3587 posts) -

As a Metal Gear fan, I was so excited when the game was announced. Not only did it explore a pretty big gap in the story, but it also introduced an incredible new mechanic. But oh no, this is no action game. This is still a stealth action game, they said. Want to avoid an entire enemy squad without killing them? Cut down a wall in front of them so they can't follow you. Have to fight but don't want to kill? Maim them. It showed the traditional Metal Gear approach to war(Horrors of war and the despicable act of murder), but this time it was more proactive. The gore and death that followed showed you the other side of the, heh, sword. The side that sometimes you have to get nasty.

Then two years went by with nothing but a trailer and watermelon cutting tech demo at TGS.

All of a sudden, Platinum Games was developing it because it was canceled internally(By Kojima). They didn't have a game in all of those years, just a mechanic, what a failure, but they decided to hand it off to more capable hands to at least salvage the core concept of what the game was.

I thought the game was damned. I hated Bayonetta, even though I could acknowledge it was still a good game. This game was going to fail hard, I said. And every trailer I saw, every screenshot, I knew more and more, the game was just flat out bad.

Then the demo came out with ZOE HD. I played it, and my mind was blown. It was like the transition from DMC 1, to 2, to 3. All of this sudden, this thing that was just "okay" before was now "holy fuck holy fuck holy fuck this is a thing THIS IS A THING!!!". And the more I played the demo, the more I fucking loooooved it. Of course, the ZOE HD Rising demo was broken and a shambled mess. It froze every five seconds, so I only got to "Wow this is pretty cool" with that. Downloading the new demo, cutscenes actually play and the game doesn't freeze. And the more I play it, the more fucking awesome I think it is. I was never good at the other DMC games or even Bayonetta, but this game, I get it. I can play it, and play it well. And the more I play it, the better it gets.

Once you figure out the parry, dodge, and lock on system, the game becomes this fucking rush. Like playing DMC3 back in the day, I had NO idea what to expect, but the more I went in, the more awesome it got. I have played it roughly 20 times tonight alone. I guess what I am trying to say is...

#112 Posted by blueinferno (448 posts) -

Finally beat that stupid boss, but I still can't seem to figure out how parrying and blocking works. I enjoyed the demo overall, and the last boss fight was super frustrating but became more fun the more I just straight up rushed the boss,

#113 Posted by Brighty (251 posts) -

Just found out how to do a Stinger (same way as in DmC) and a Palm Thrust (I think its Back + Forward + Wide Attack)

#114 Edited by KaneRobot (1544 posts) -

Played through the demo. Eventually got the hang of parrying, but I can't stand the camera. Oh well. Maybe pick it up when it hits 20-30 bucks. In this day and age that'll probably be like 8-10 weeks.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.