Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Feb 19, 2013

A fast-paced action game co-developed by PlatinumGames and Kojima Productions. It follows ninja-cyborg Raiden's activities four years after the events of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots.

Metal Gear Solid : Rising

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Ket87

Today Microsoft and Kojima unveiled Metal Gear Solid : Rising for the 360 staring an even more messed up looking Raiden. Though it wasn't exactly detailed enough to draw a lot of speculation it is safe to assume that it is a multi-platform title at the moment considering both the current state of the video game market and Hideo's own personal favortism of PlayStation. It was also said it will feature new gameplay. Though specifics were not mentioned it is easy to see a Raiden based MGS game will be more akin to action games like Devil May Cry due to his sword wielding ninja badassness now.

Now this announcement comes as a bit of a surprise as most MGS fans with common sense and the 360 fans who won't shut up that the announcement was not a port of last years MGS4 as everyone had assumed was coming from Kojima and Microsoft at this E3.

So just out of curiousity what is everyone's reaction to this? Are the 360 owners who cared satisfied with "a" MGS game and the confirmation of future MGS titles being made multi-platform, or are some people still sore about MGS4 for 360 not being the big announcement?

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#2  Edited By TobyD81

Without any gameplay video...or even cutscene video...I can't say much about this. It exists. I'm eager to learn more.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

It's like the Xbox losing Halo essentially.  Well actually, maybe more Gears.  Final Fantasy is more like Halo imo.

Avatar image for pissedoffthewitch
    pissedoffthewitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#4  Edited By pissedoffthewitch

Do people still hate on Raiden? I was bummed out that snake wasnt in Sons of liberty but i didnt hate Raiden either

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @SmugDarkLoser said:
    " It's like the Xbox losing Halo essentially.  Well actually, maybe more Gears.  Final Fantasy is more like Halo imo. "
    Not really... It's more like Losing a Gears spin off... Since it's not the main MGS storyline but a new style of game. Also it's called Lightning Bolt Action as opposed to Tactical Espionage, so it's safe to say it will be Devil May Cry style.
    Stealthoneill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By Stealthoneill

I own both 360 and PS3. I am also a huge MGS fan. I see this announcement as a great thing because not only does it mean a continuation of the franchise but it adds a little diversity to the audience. I think this was inevitable, the fact the 360 gets something a little different to add to there experience is just another bonus.

Console exclusivety is a thing of that past, I think we are going to see more and more Timed Exclusive's rather than have a blanket of games on one console only. With the way of the economy, companies just want to have the best chance of making some money!

@Pissedoffthewitch:
    I didnt like that they completely left out Snake in Sons of Liberty, but can't say I ever hated on Raiden. Looki0ng forward to what new angle he brings in to the story and how his game plays out in the story of Guns.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Stealthoneill said:
    " Console exclusivety is a thing of that past, "
    That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. No offense... The day we only have one console on the market is the day I believe in the death of console exclusivity.
    DarkSeraphim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By DarkSeraphim
    @Stealthoneill said:
    "I own both 360 and PS3. I am also a huge MGS fan. I see this announcement as a great thing because not only does it mean a continuation of the franchise but it adds a little diversity to the audience. I think this was inevitable, the fact the 360 gets something a little different to add to there experience is just another bonus.

Console exclusivety is a thing of that past, I think we are going to see more and more Timed Exclusive's rather than have a blanket of games on one console only. With the way of the economy, companies just want to have the best chance of making some money!

@Pissedoffthewitch:
    I didnt like that they completely left out Snake in Sons of Liberty, but can't say I ever hated on Raiden. Looki0ng forward to what new angle he brings in to the story and how his game plays out in the story of Guns.
    "

I agree with what you have said. MGS...the announcement did help in some areas, new points. Just like the one that you've stated. Diversity. It's important. People just need to look into it more. Hmm.
    elbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By elbow

I think anybody who believes this game is any form of an “exclusive” is in for a reality check, before I continue:

http://kotaku.com/5274844/metal-gear-solid-rising-destined-for-xbox-360-ps3-pc

It’s a fair bet to say that when it’s all said and done, Metal Gear Solid 4 sold a hefty 5+ million units – according to Konami and Sony, it had sold 4.5 million up until the end of last year, and with the ensuing wave of Greatest Hits, Platinum Collection, ect. It should pass 5 million units – on one console.

Even if you don’t want to believe that, you can notice the lack of Microsoft’s favourite, and I mean favourite  word, “exclusive”, as in not exclusive to the console, not timed exclusive, no exclusive content, no exclusive DLC, NOTHING about this game is exclusive.

To not sound like a raging Sony fanboy, this was a good move on the part of Kojima and Konami. Not only does game have perhaps the potential to maybe reach 10 million overall units spanning the three platforms, with obviously the PS3 and 360 carrying the bulk, but the Kojima-san makes great games and everyone should have the chance to play them.

I swear, I hate that word, “exclusive”, might as well call it, another way to piss of gamers.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By Ineedaname

I'm seriously annoyed, not because it's multiplatform, I don't care about that, but the fact we wait through a tonne of count down timers, and for what?
    Something that wasn't really a secret, his next announcement better be better than this. He's basically given us another teaser.

FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By FCKSNAP
    @Ineedaname said:
    " I'm seriously annoyed, not because it's multiplatform, I don't care about that, but the fact we wait through a tonne of count down timers, and for what?Something that wasn't really a secret, his next announcement better be better than this. He's basically given us another teaser. "
    Basically, yeah, he has. And it's even more annoying that they released a five minute KPreport podcast saying that they've "only just started" with announcements, and they're putting out more podcasts over the week. Great.
    elbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By elbow
    @Snapstacle said:
    "
    @Ineedaname said:
    " I'm seriously annoyed, not because it's multiplatform, I don't care about that, but the fact we wait through a tonne of count down timers, and for what?Something that wasn't really a secret, his next announcement better be better than this. He's basically given us another teaser. "
    Basically, yeah, he has. And it's even more annoying that they released a five minute KPreport podcast saying that they've "only just started" with announcements, and they're putting out more podcasts over the week. Great."

True.

When they announced Metal Gear Solid 4 they had that huge trailer for us to gawk at until we finally got another sampling of it. Though, tomorrow is the Sony press conference, and they still have theirs (Konami), so the possibility for us to see gameplay and maybe a tad bit of the story, is still high.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By toowalrus

I wasn't surprised, because I called exactly this awhile back- A new MGS game that would be on the Xbox, but not a port of MGS4.

Although Kojima standing among all of that Microsoft Green still sent a shiver down my spine (and I kept a close eye on him, looking for the inevidible sniper dot-sight.) I'll probably check this game out when it comes out, but I'm not being pesimistic. It could be great, but it's pure fan servace.

I really hope they have metal detectors at the Sony conference tommorow, becasue some pissed off Sony fanboy IS going to try to kill Kojima.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @SmugDarkLoser said:
    " It's like the Xbox losing Halo essentially.  Well actually, maybe more Gears.  Final Fantasy is more like Halo imo. "
    uh. not at all. stop trying to blow this out of proportion. and i assure, sony fanboys are not really fazed by this. 
    besides its not even exclusive. there is no way Kojima could get away with releasing a game staring Raiden on one console. He's just not nearly as popular as Snake. 
    As for that Big Boss game- I'm pretty sure its either a new PS3 game, or just the new PSP game we already know is confirmed. 
    Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ket87
    @elbow said:
    "

When they announced Metal Gear Solid 4 they had that huge trailer for us to gawk at....

"
    Yeah the announcement of MGS4 had like a 10-15 minute trailer and for Rising we got a picture of Raiden that we seen two weeks ago from those leaked Kotaku scans. Thank you Kojima-san for your continuing support!
    SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Guys.  Konami has a conference themselves.  I'm sure they want to show gameplay there.  It'd be smarter to show the game there rather than in a place where you are surrounded by other potentially AAA games (COD, 2 halos, alan wake, conviction, final fantasy, etc.)

FordFairlane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By FordFairlane

I'd say the lack of excitement has partly to do with the uncertainty about whether this is THE next Metal Gear Solid game or just a spinoff.  If this is Kojima's version of Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks for MGS, then it's a real downer.

The Guns of the Patriots  rumors became so heated that anything less was going to result in an MGS4 hangover.  When you're expecting a crack at what has been considered by many to be one of the greatest games ever made and you end up with a spinoff tite, it's not going to be totally fulfilling.
    Also, MGS really defined the Stealh Action genre, and now this Metal Gear (suspected) hack & slash game is wading into territory that may find it a pale imitiation of better franchises like Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden.

It also goes without saying that if a true sequel to MGS4 for PS3 is revealed this week, MGS: RIsing will have the shortest rise & fall of any game in recent memory.  Kojima wouldn't punk Raiden like that yet again, would he?

All in all, this reminds me being kid who asked for Transformers for Christmas and got Go-Bots instead...
    Kou_Leifoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Kou_Leifoh

This game coming to PS3 as well as 360. So I got nothing to worry about.

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lowbrow

I'm kind of bummed about this - I have a PS2, and have played MGS, MGS2, and MGS3 over and over and over - I fucking LOVE the franchise. The only thing missing in my life is to get my hands on MGS4 which is tough cause I don't have a PS3, and I don't see myself grabbing one any time soon.

I really wanted to get a MGS game that played to the strengths of the series, with the improved gameplay that the 4th one had.

While I have, of course, no actual information about what the game will actually be like, I just don't want this to turn into Metal Gear Solid: Devil May Cry Bayonetta Cyborg Chronicles

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.