Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Feb 19, 2013

A fast-paced action game co-developed by PlatinumGames and Kojima Productions. It follows ninja-cyborg Raiden's activities four years after the events of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots.

Metal Gear Solid: Rising...a better Jedi game?

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

Edited By Undeadpool

After seeing the very well produced trailer of The Force Unleashed 2, I was left with one very strong impression: "Nice...too bad the gameplay will likely be nothing like that and will just be clubbing storm troopers futilely with your light saber." 
    My first impression after seeing the first half of the Metal Gear Solid: Rising trailer was: "Incredible...psh, too bad it'll probably turn out like Force Unleashed and be about as effective at cutting as a baseball bat-OH HOLY SHIT! He just cut that guy into THIRDS!" How has Kojima Productions made a more effective Jedi game than Lucasarts ever did?? Why do movies get to dismember but videogames don't? Will there be a way to EAT the delicious water melon you've just cut in half? I need ANSWERS, people!

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Undeadpool

After seeing the very well produced trailer of The Force Unleashed 2, I was left with one very strong impression: "Nice...too bad the gameplay will likely be nothing like that and will just be clubbing storm troopers futilely with your light saber." 
    My first impression after seeing the first half of the Metal Gear Solid: Rising trailer was: "Incredible...psh, too bad it'll probably turn out like Force Unleashed and be about as effective at cutting as a baseball bat-OH HOLY SHIT! He just cut that guy into THIRDS!" How has Kojima Productions made a more effective Jedi game than Lucasarts ever did?? Why do movies get to dismember but videogames don't? Will there be a way to EAT the delicious water melon you've just cut in half? I need ANSWERS, people!

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By LiquidPrince

Usually it's because then the game would be too easy. The solution is either throw 1000 enemies at you at once, or have the enemies take more damage. I'm assuming Rising will take the Afro Samurai approach and have that badass cutting thing be a meter or something that fills up as you kill more dudes in a regular way. Also, I'm sure there will be heavily armored enemies at some point in the game that won't dismember so easily. It's all a matter of balance for difficulty.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By FunExplosions

Yeah, if the precision cutting works like Dead-Eye in Read Dead Redemption, then that should work pretty well. I'm more concerned with the possible recognition errors while cutting people up. Like, if I cut the top of someone's hat off, do I cut their head off too? Do they just die? What if I cut someone's foot off? Do they hop around/ kneel and shoot me/ roll over and moan/ die? This is gonna need a Dead-Space-esque dismemberment demo or something.

And who would have thought that a Metal Gear Solid game would be pioneering some drastically new gameplay device?

zeefoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By zeefoes

It's like that afro samurai game except you can also cut watermelons and cars.. awesome. Wonder if this will ever come to ps3

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@zeefoes: It isn't a 360 exclusive. It is coming to both the PS3 and 360.
    Urmean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Urmean

I AM GOING TO CUT EVERYONE INTO LITTLE DECORATIVE RIBBONS AND NO ONE CAN STOP ME :|

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Undeadpool
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " Usually it's because then the game would be too easy. The solution is either throw 1000 enemies at you at once, or have the enemies take more damage. I'm assuming Rising will take the Afro Samurai approach and have that badass cutting thing be a meter or something that fills up as you kill more dudes in a regular way. Also, I'm sure there will be heavily armored enemies at some point in the game that won't dismember so easily. It's all a matter of balance for difficulty. "
    I fully expect harder enemies that can't be dismembered, and even if it IS a meter, that's still better than anything Star Wars has given us for light saber combat. I always thought there should be a Star Wars Bushido Blade-style game. A duel where the first person to get hit is either killed or crippled. Lightsaber duels shouldn't last more than three hits.
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EvilTwin

It's not that they can't make a good Star Wars game.  It's that Lucasarts doesn't want an M rated Star Wars game.  It sucks, but that's what it is.  Still, I'm excited for TFU 2 anyways since I really liked the first game.  Metal Gear Solid: Rising does look awesome though.

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Jace

Just saying, Jedi Knight had some sick dismemeberment mods for the PC. Update that game and ill play it for years.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By time allen
    @FunExplosions said:
     And who would have thought that a Metal Gear Solid game would be pioneering some drastically new gameplay device? "

kojima productions work in mysterious ways.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @zeefoes said:

It's like that afro samurai game except you can also cut watermelons and cars.. awesome.

I'm surprised no one else had compared these games - it was instantly the first thing that came to my mind when I saw it.
    While everyone's saying "That's the coolest thing I've ever seen", I've been saying "That's the coolest thing I ever saw when I played Afro Samaurai forever ago".
    Still, I'm sure it's been refined and it was fun then, I'm assuming it's still fun now.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " Usually it's because then the game would be too easy. The solution is either throw 1000 enemies at you at once, or have the enemies take more damage. I'm assuming Rising will take the Afro Samurai approach and have that badass cutting thing be a meter or something that fills up as you kill more dudes in a regular way. Also, I'm sure there will be heavily armored enemies at some point in the game that won't dismember so easily. It's all a matter of balance for difficulty. "
    Hate to bring it up again, but the stormtroopers and other fleshie enemies in the Jedi Knight games could only take one hit from your lightsaber.
    They generally made up for this by having a lot of them coming at you, plus having a lot of ranged attacks, vs your melee weapon.  And there were of course other Jedi's. 

Difficulty definitely becomes an issue, but I'm sure they could address this some other way than totally ruining the lightsaber.  The focus of the game was always supposed to be on the force powers anyway, with the lightsaber used more as a defensive tool / last resort.  I'm very disappointed that philosophy fell flat in the first game and has completely disappeared for the second.

The developers should have realised that the best part of the whole game was destroying everything in your path and strangling wookies as Vader.  It was easy, but fun as hell.  The rest of the game?  not so much.
    Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
    deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I hope the cutting mechanic is more accurate than in Afro Samurai. 
    One section I had to try for 15 minutes to cut a rope. Without any noticeable changes to where I was aiming the game finally gave up and let me cut the rope so I could proceed. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ryanwho

Just about anything would be better than that pre recorded embarrassment they showed with the guy lagging behind the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.