New Metal Gear Rising screens. Are we being trolled now?

• 71 results
#1 Edited by Metal_Mills (3046 posts) -

Aside from the obvious clipping and floating car, it looks AWFUL. Like a PS2 game. What the hell are they doing with this game?
#2 Posted by falserelic (5407 posts) -

Holy Shit! flying ninjas baby.

#3 Edited by zaglis (910 posts) -

Is this the PSP version?

..man. Especially the yellow crates screen. What the fuck is going on.

#4 Posted by composite (134 posts) -

Yeah, this game looks like complete dog shit, BUT Bayonetta, soooooo we will see. On a side note: anyone here used to be a huge Metal Gear fan, and isn't anymore (not just because of this game)? I am in that category.

#5 Posted by Korolev (1725 posts) -

Doesn't look nearly as bad as a PS2 game, but it does look like a very early generation PS3 game, or like a PS vita game.

You are right to point out that it doesn't look particularly stunning. If these are the best screen shots they could get, I'd be worried.

#6 Posted by Cheesebob (1249 posts) -

II've heard this game looks great though

#7 Posted by Metal_Mills (3046 posts) -
@Anwar said:

@Metal_Mills:

Show me those PS2 games,

Look at the textures(especially the background) of the last screenshot then compare to this random MGS3 shot.
#8 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

wat is this

#9 Posted by Drebin_893 (2933 posts) -

@mnzy said:

60 frames man, 60 frames.
#10 Posted by Pie (7111 posts) -

Yeah that really looks like a vita game.

#11 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Its still not out yet remember.

#12 Posted by Grissefar (2830 posts) -

Those are compressed pictures from a compressed video from a preview build made about a year before release. Hardly representative of what you'll see on screen.

Aside from that, there is only so much you can do with the power of a console. You have to balance between framerate, number of enemies and graphical fidelity. It's a fast ass action game running at 60 FPS, which is rare these days. Would you really rather they spent a bunch more millions on graphics, dumped the framerate to 30 and put an enemy cap of 4 just so you can enjoy more beautiful screenshots?

#13 Posted by Willy105 (4691 posts) -

Yeah...you don't remember at all what PS2 games looked like.

These graphics are just average 360/PS3 graphics from 2007/2008. Underwhelming but appropriate.

#14 Posted by 49th (2844 posts) -

It looks fine. I'm sure it will look fine in motion going super fast.

#15 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

People overuse "looks like a ps2 game." these days.

#16 Posted by NTM (7542 posts) -

As much as I love the Metal Gear Series, and when this was first announced a long time ago, ever since game play footage has been shown (that wasn't the watermelon cutting) I haven't had much hope for it.

#17 Posted by Humanity (10061 posts) -

@CL60 said:

At least people stopped saying "entitled" all the time.

Bayonetta was amazing, I'll wait till this is out before I pass judgement. Although those screens do look pretty unimpressive.

#18 Edited by AlisterCat (5720 posts) -

People need to remember what PS2 games looked like... and this looks a hell of a lot better.

#19 Posted by StarvingGamer (8555 posts) -

All that matters is how it moves.

#20 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4985 posts) -

Hey, guys, what if it's like, you know, fun?

#21 Posted by Metal_Mills (3046 posts) -
@OllyOxenFree said:
Does that really give it an excuse to look like crap?
#22 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4985 posts) -
@Metal_Mills said:
@OllyOxenFree said:
Does that really give it an excuse to look like crap?
As long as it does not play like crap then I don't give a fuck. And you are exaggerating on how "awful" it looks. It does not look like a PS2 game even from those pictures.
#23 Posted by Baillie (4281 posts) -

It looks like shit and it looks like it will play like shit. Such a massive disappointment.

#24 Posted by StarvingGamer (8555 posts) -

The environments look no worse than the ones in Bayonetta, and Bayonetta was a fucking amazing game. Some of you people need to get off of the band-waaah-gon and start putting some mental effort into the opinions you're about to espouse.

#25 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

Hey, guys? It's called a game still under development.

#26 Edited by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

Hey, guys? It's called a game still under development.

Let's be honest. This wouldn't be the internet if people didn't lose their shit and jump to conclusions over tiny things.

#27 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -

@Humanity said:

Bayonetta was amazing, I'll wait till this is out before I pass judgement.

Sounds like a plan.

#28 Posted by Bulby33 (616 posts) -

Man, you're right. Those screens look awful. What's the deal with the dude clipping through the box? Weird.

#29 Posted by Rabid619 (1109 posts) -

Holy shit man, what were they thinking releasing a couple of those shots? The crates one especially, that honestly reminds me of a DS game in some parts. I know the game won't look that bad when it comes out, but holy shit, why release those to the public!?

#30 Edited by XenoNick (1481 posts) -

@AlisterCat said:

People need to remember what PS2 games looked like... and this looks a hell of a lot better.

You had to use naked Raiden didn't you......

It looks a little rough sure but I like the previous games Platinum have done. I'd like a demo to be released but that wont happen.

#31 Posted by Toms115 (2317 posts) -

game runs at 60fps. 60fps and top notch graphics cannot coexist on current consoles, sadly.

#32 Posted by Svenzon (727 posts) -

I was gonna say "It hopefully looks better in motion", but come to think of it, the video I saw from E3 didn't look all that impressive either. Still, I'm definitely gonna try it and it won't get released until 2013 anyway. They have time to polish the visuals a little bit.

#33 Posted by Otacon (2209 posts) -

Quite confusing as to why they would do this. It must be on purpose, that box clipping shot isn't exactly something you can overlook.

#34 Posted by project343 (2838 posts) -

Looks almost worse than Ninja Gaiden on Xbox.

#35 Posted by ajamafalous (12147 posts) -

ITT: People misremembering what old games look like.

#36 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3982 posts) -

@AlisterCat said:

Hilarious choice of a comparison shot.

I have seen the game in video form and it doesn't look good, yes, but it's good enough. Gameplay over graphics for me on this one.

#37 Posted by Soapy86 (2619 posts) -

I think all of the screens look fine except for the yellow crate one. I don't how this could happen, but I have a strong suspicion that one is a very early, probably pre-alpha screenshot that accidentally got posted. Raiden looks completely different in that one, the HUD is different, there's a ton of random clipping in the top right, the skybox looks super weird, to the left there's a black void with a palm tree in front of it floating in mid-air. That one is weird. I'm definitely going to say it wasn't meant to be posted.

#38 Posted by stryker1121 (1582 posts) -

The third screenshot from the top makes me feel funny.

#39 Posted by Stonyman65 (2869 posts) -

Oh God. Please just let this die already.

#40 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

The 4th screenshot really does look like a PS2 game, just higher res.

#41 Posted by Landon (4164 posts) -

Go find the video from this screenshot. The scene goes by in seconds and the players focus is on the helicopter. Who gives a shit if there are a bunch of blurry textures in the background.

#42 Posted by Quarters (1859 posts) -

@CL60 said:

Ain't that the truth.

#43 Posted by Demoskinos (15137 posts) -

This looks far beyond a "PS2" game. They are a couple of crappy quality screengrabs and were judging the graphical fidelity of the game by that? Uh, yeah....

#44 Posted by Jolt92 (1579 posts) -

It looks fine.

#45 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@Demoskinos said:

This looks far beyond a "PS2" game. They are a couple of crappy quality screengrabs and were judging the graphical fidelity of the game by that? Uh, yeah....

This is true for all of them except the 4th one, that really does look awful.

Or just an average Wii game. (which isn't far from PS2 either)

#46 Posted by ckeats (489 posts) -

My most pressing question is how Raiden is jumping missiles in those heels?

#47 Posted by Ottosmann (68 posts) -

I just find it odd that one of the screens they picked is someone's entire body clipping through a cardboard box. You'd think if you were picking out screens to show off your in-development game that you would want to paint the game in a bright light, not show off graphical bugs.

#48 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

Platinum Games never look good in stills. It's why they run at 60 FPS.

#49 Posted by RazielCuts (2986 posts) -

I'm not getting it, this doesn't look like 'dogshit/PS2 game/worse fucking thing evah omgzzzz fail lololol' at all, not even in the slightest. I think the real question is, 'Are we being trolled now by you?' because you're doing a good job. Just tells me you're very young.

#50 Posted by DelroyLindo (387 posts) -

they made Vanquish so I'll give this a shot

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.