Playing the Demo. Shows promise.

#1 Posted by The_Ruiner (1008 posts) -

I like it so far. The Blade mode stuff take some getting used to, but there is a stealth element and the story seems very Metal Gear. Even has a bunch of codec contacts. We'll see how the final game turns out.

#2 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

is the demo.. d'aw it's packed in with ZotE HD huh?

#3 Posted by The_Ruiner (1008 posts) -

yup

#4 Posted by Hewitt (63 posts) -

I hate it when they include exclusive demos in other games. Down with the system!

#5 Posted by davide (34 posts) -

@Hewitt said:

I hate it when they include exclusive demos in other games. Down with the system!

I think the original Zone of the Enders had an exclusive Metal Gear Solid 2 demo pack-in, so at least there's tradition behind this.

#6 Posted by CatsAkimbo (601 posts) -

Is it the same demo they were showing at PAX where it starts off in training and you run across a collapsing bridge and hop across missiles that are flying at you to get to a helicopter and chop the helicopter in half?

It seemed clumsy to control at times, but the chopping stuff is so ridiculous that it turned out pretty fun.

#7 Posted by The_Ruiner (1008 posts) -

no it's not that seems like the beginning of the game. Controls seem fine to me, once you get used blade mode that is. You can do some cool stuff when you experiment

#8 Edited by Yummylee (21242 posts) -

When you say ''has a bunch of codec contacts'', are they scripted during the story or can you just call up folks whenever you want for advice and characterisation real OG MGS style?

#9 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Yummylee said:

When you say ''has a bunch of codec contacts'', are they scripted during the story or can you just call up folks whenever you want for advice and characterisation real OG MGS style?

I want to know this too.
#10 Posted by The_Ruiner (1008 posts) -

hmm good question I didn't even try

#11 Posted by csl316 (8095 posts) -
@MikeGosot
@Yummylee said:

I want to know this too.
I saw a video where someone went into a menu and called up some dude.
#12 Posted by TooWalrus (13135 posts) -

I'm not going to play the demo. I already know that I'm going to play any new Metal Gear game, and any game made by PlatinumGames, so why bother? I'll go in fresh.

#13 Posted by gumdealer (96 posts) -

It took me a bit to get used to the controls, but it seems pretty good so far. There doesn't seem to be a block move, only parry and a dodge. I guess blocking doesn't really fit in with what they are trying to make.

#14 Posted by cannonballBAM (583 posts) -
#15 Posted by zerostasis (15 posts) -

Is there a way for me to play the demo without buying ZotE HD? I didn't find it in the PSN store at the lists of demo. I was assuming at first that they may have just delayed a free demo at PSN store.

#16 Posted by murisan (1119 posts) -

@cannonballBAM: Holy. Shit.

#17 Posted by awesomeusername (4154 posts) -

@zerostasis: Don't think so. If they do make a free demo, it'll probably be announced next month or early January.

#18 Edited by I_smell (3925 posts) -
@MikeGosot said:

@Yummylee said:

I want to know this too.
Just played the demo. I called up my 4 friends several times, and they had a lot of stuff about PMCs and cyborgs to rattle on about.

One scientist friend had loads of things to say about advances in nanomachines and cyborg technology, and his experience working on everything. I called up another guy during a boss fight and he said "I'm an expert on societal cultures, I don't know anything about combat, sorry Raiden!" and my Save girl talked about backstory, and other missions they'd been on.
It was really dense with content for a demo!

Sadly I could not spin around any of the interface with the thumbsticks, or zoom in and out with the triggers or do anything dumb like that. 

The conversations definately felt like Metal Gear Solid conversations, although a bit too corny if you ask me. This Russian man is named "Boris", and this doctor is named "Doktor"... one friend laughed at Raiden about once having the nickname "MISTER LIGHTNING BOLT", which- I guess I'll pin this stuff on rubbish translation...
#19 Edited by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

@I_smell said:

@MikeGosot said:

@Yummylee said:

I want to know this too.
Just played the demo. I called up my 4 friends several times, and they had a lot of stuff about PMCs and cyborgs to rattle on about. One scientist friend had loads of things to say about advances in nanomachines and cyborg technology, and his experience working on everything. I called up another guy during a boss fight and he said "I'm an expert on societal cultures, I don't know anything about combat, sorry Raiden!" and my Save girl talked about backstory, and other missions they'd been on. It was really dense with content for a demo! Sadly I could not spin around any of the interface with the thumbsticks, or zoom in and out with the triggers or do anything dumb like that. The conversations definately felt like Metal Gear Solid conversations, although a bit too corny if you ask me. This Russian man is named "Boris", and this doctor is named "Doktor"... one friend laughed at Raiden about once having the nickname "MISTER LIGHTNING BOLT", which- I guess I'll pin this stuff on rubbish translation...

More corny than regular MGS? DAMN.

EDIT: Also, thank you.

#20 Posted by hermes (1365 posts) -

Good news, everyone...

According to The Drop, the demo will be released this week (Jan 22nd) on PSN. I am assuming the XBLA version will be available around the same time...

#21 Posted by Sanious (793 posts) -

@hermes said:

Good news, everyone...

According to The Drop, the demo will be released this week (Jan 22nd) on PSN. I am assuming the XBLA version will be available around the same time...

I hope so. Can't wait to play it.

#22 Posted by Dchao (54 posts) -

Has anyone else heard the rumours of this game only being four hours long? How true so you think this is?

#23 Posted by Blimble (302 posts) -

@davide said:

@Hewitt said:

I think the original Zone of the Enders had an exclusive Metal Gear Solid 2 demo pack-in, so at least there's tradition behind this.

That was the one that didn't let on that Raiden was the main character wasn't it. I hope they do the same thing and trick everyone by not having Raiden as the main character, it would be so funny to trick people twice

#24 Posted by GunstarRed (5022 posts) -

@Dchao: I wouldn't be surprised if it was short, but when people say four hours they tend to mean eight.

#25 Posted by JCGamer (659 posts) -

@hermes said:

Good news, everyone...

Wow--Good timing. Came onto the forums today to see what people though of the demo. I was thinking of getting Devil May Cry now or wait for this game. Guess I'll try the demo and see what's up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.