Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Nov 13, 2001

The follow-up to the 1998 blockbuster, Metal Gear Solid 2 blends tactical stealth and action. This sequel takes the action to an offshore oil cleanup facility seized by terrorists who are holding the President hostage. It helped sell the PS2, featuring advanced AI, physics and cover mechanics for its time, and one of the first postmodern narratives in gaming.

A good moratorium on Metal Gear Solid 2

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

As of writing this I am almost finished with mgs 2. I am specifically at the the boss fight with solidus. I would love it if anyone knew of a good podcast/article/something that goes a little in depth about this game and specifically the end. I loved the game and specifically the story and its twists. The stuff with rose although at times was a little heavy handed was heartbreaking and sad and a real revelation for game character relations. I'd love to hear others thoughts on it.

Guybrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 32

You could watch the last episode of Metal Gear Scanlon 2 (or watch the whole thing, if you've not already). Drew and Dan talk about the ending and the twists etc. Maybe not as in depth as some articles that must be out there.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I very much enjoyed this analysis of the game.

Loading Video...
    Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't think "moratorium" is the right word for this?

Anyway, I could point to Dreaming in an Empty Roomby Tim Rogers. The article is a bit old and a bit rambly (what did you expect from Tim?), but it gives an interesting and thought provoking perspective on MGS2.

For video I would suggest to Critical Close-up: Metal Gear Solid 2 by Super Bunnyhop. It explains and expands on ideas put forth by Tim Rogers, especially the postmodern and critical / literary analysis of the game.

Fair warning: this stuff is heavy on analysing the themes in the game. Might not be for everyone!

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I beat 2 recently as well. I love the absurdity of this series, but 2's end went a little too far with the conspiracies on top of conspiracies on top of conspiracies. It lost some of the personal edge that came with E.E.'s death I thought. I was laughing out loud at some of the nonsense revelations in the last few cutscenes. Which was great in its own way, but still pretty ridiculous.

Now, MGS3 I beat literally less than an hour ago and that's one hell of an ending! It's still completely fucking absurd in some ways, but it's much more grounded than MGS2's ending. It never loses the thread of tragedy woven into the narrative despite the ridiculousness of it all. Off hand, I can't think of a single more effecting video game ending (except maybe Ico or Shadow of the Colossus, but those are incredibly different experiences.)

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I really liked this MGS2 analysis when I read it a few years ago. It's super long though.

Guybrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#7  Edited By Guybrush

@sinusoidal said:

I beat 2 recently as well. I love the absurdity of this series, but 2's end went a little too far with the conspiracies on top of conspiracies on top of conspiracies. It lost some of the personal edge that came with E.E.'s death I thought. I was laughing out loud at some of the nonsense revelations in the last few cutscenes. Which was great in its own way, but still pretty ridiculous.

Now, MGS3 I beat literally less than an hour ago and that's one hell of an ending! It's still completely fucking absurd in some ways, but it's much more grounded than MGS2's ending. It never loses the thread of tragedy woven into the narrative despite the ridiculousness of it all. Off hand, I can't think of a single more effecting video game ending (except maybe Ico or Shadow of the Colossus, but those are incredibly different experiences.)

MGS2 used to be my favourite of the series. I found it really hard to get into 3. But I kept trying, and I'm so glad I did. It's excellent and I agree with you about the ending. Much more grounded and satisfying.

As for effecting video game endings, Red Dead Redemption is at the top of my list.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I very much enjoyed this analysis of the game.

Loading Video...

+1

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Try Terry Wolfe's analyses at metagearsolid.org. He sometimes gets a bit self-righteous, but there's plenty of very, very interesting stuff to get out of his writing. Especially the VR Theory - even if you do not subscribe to it, it's an interesting perspective that paints a ton of things, especially Arsenal Gear, in a new light.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

@gaff: that's exactly the type of stuff I wanted and I'm not sure moratorium is the right word but it sounded nice I guess

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@sagesebas: I assume you were thinking of "Postmortem".

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@corevi said:

I really liked this MGS2 analysis when I read it a few years ago. It's super long though.

This is a really good analysis, I read it several years ago and it gave me a renewed appreciation for MGS2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.