Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty is 9-years old today.

#1 Edited by RoyCampbell (1095 posts) -

Nine years.

Nine.

Anyway, once I had played MGS2, I knew it was to remain one of my favorite games of all time. I still listen to the soundtrack to this day. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko5JMgmIaQI)

Eh, maybe should have waited until it hit ten. But I remembered MGS2 having been released in November, so I checked the current date (bad memory) and would ya' look at that, it's the 13th. (there sure was a lot of classic games released in 2001, yeah?)

Let's all hope we get a Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3 bundle released for the PS3 like God of War and Ico!!

Thanks for reading and please remember: hit the action button to climb ladders. 

Loud and clear. -Roy

Edit: Instead of posting, I'll just edit this post so it doesn't seem too unnecessary. 

Everyone in this thread is awesome. Thanks for sharing the love, guys.

#2 Edited by Raven_Sword (3388 posts) -
@RoyCampbell:

MGS 2 was one of the games that defined my PS2 experience. When peopel saw taht first reveal trailer at E3, it was probaly THE most visualy impacting trailer ever. It was insae and people went Ape Shit and its rather famosu for that. Happy B-day MGS 2.
#3 Posted by Korolev (1646 posts) -

Pretty remarkable that it's 9 years. That's.... that's a long time. Now I feel old.  

Just imagine where we'll be 9 years from now!

#4 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Metal gear 2 older than some kids on xbl.

#5 Posted by Raven_Sword (3388 posts) -
@Korolev:

....playing with motion controllers?
#6 Posted by Jadeskye (4359 posts) -

MGS2 was probably my favourite MGS experience.

#7 Edited by RoyCampbell (1095 posts) -
@Korolev said:

"Just imagine where we'll be 9 years from now! "

AAAAHH!!

I'll probably be reminiscing about the games that I've played recently on top of already feeding the nostalgia I already always feel for the Playstation and Playstation 2. D:
#8 Posted by Psykhophear (933 posts) -

I don't care what anyone says, but Metal Gear Solid 2 is an absolute blast to play from start to finish. I love it so much. Thanks for reminding us, RoyCampbell.

Yeah, Kojima should consider repacking the earlier MGS games into a HD compilation. They'd be wonderful.

#9 Posted by ShadowConqueror (2994 posts) -

Love it.
#10 Posted by sharma55 (458 posts) -

DIdn't love it as much as I love the other MGSs, still, happy birthday game!

#11 Posted by Yummylee (20582 posts) -

MGS3 is my overall favourite, though MGS2 I fakin adored. I completed that game so many times. I'd literally play through it, then just start right over again.

#12 Posted by RoyCampbell (1095 posts) -
@Abyssfull: Hah, that's great. I absolutely can not get enough of MGS 2 either. I was in the same position with Costume Quest. I was considering playing through it again because it was soooo good.
#13 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4480 posts) -

One of the finest games ever made to this day. I used to play through the campaign from start to finish every weekend, sometimes twice in one weekend. I'd be playing it constantly during the week, too. It got to the point that I would just endlessly play through it in one sitting, over and over again. I've never had that with another MGS.

#14 Posted by OmegaPirate (5518 posts) -

MGS2 pretty much defined that console generation for me, everything about it just screamed that this was what i had been expecting from the console upgrade (similar to what uncharted 2 offered this gen) 

While mgs3 was my favourite story and setting in the series, I have to admit that mgs2 is probably the most fun! 
It's bizarre how topical (if over the top) the subject of that game is however! I was only 14 when i first played that game and didnt really quite understand anything that happened with the story , all i knew was that it was awesome graphically and the gameplay was incredible. 

However when mgs4 was released, the day before we went and got it, me and a mate went through all the metal gear games, from metal gear on the nes through to mgs3  - start to finish, and the story in mgs2 is a hell of a lot more awesome than i realised back then!   

Happy birthday mgs2, I need scissors, 61

#15 Posted by Echo (391 posts) -

Seems like only yesterday that wNUDE RAIDEN.

#16 Posted by Shirogane (3561 posts) -

Wow, 9 years...Only? 
I remember playing that game, sooooo long ago. It was one of my favourite games on the PS2, and still is. 
Hell, i ended up buying the game again a few years later when i managed to find a copy of Substance for cheap.
#17 Posted by wwfundertaker (1390 posts) -

One of the best games ive played. 9 years ago thats along time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.